When did you get here?!?!

2013 Pisgah 111K route map

Hey Everybody! Here is the 2013 Pisgah 111K route map. There are a few changes over last year so look closely...
    Registration is still open (but not for long!) HERE:
    Copy of Pisgah 111K Mountain Bike Race | Pisgah Forest, North Carolina 28768 | Saturday, May 18, 2013
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Pisgah 111K route map-pisgah-111k-route-2013sm.jpg  

You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

trail sequence?

got a text version of the trail sequence. can't blow the jpeg up enough to make it out. thanks
    jason
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Hey Everybody! Here is the 2013 Pisgah 111K route map. There are a few changes over last year so look closely...
    Registration is still open (but not for long!) HERE:
    Copy of Pisgah 111K Mountain Bike Race | Pisgah Forest, North Carolina 28768 | Saturday, May 18, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by angstboater View Post
    got a text version of the trail sequence. can't blow the jpeg up enough to make it out. thanks
    jason
    Sure!

276->477->Clawhammer->Black->Turkey Pen->Bradley->5015->1206->5000->Spencer->Spencer->Fletcher->Res Rd.->Lower Trace->North Mills->Yellow Gap->5051->1206->Laurel->Pilot->1206->476->South Mills->Buckhorn->Black.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    So was last year's route just too easy so you had to throw in another trip up Black?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is madness.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    So was last year's route just too easy so you had to throw in another trip up Black?
    Eh.... Black isn't so bad...

It was either Clawhammer->Maxwell->Black->Turkey or Clawhammer->Black->Turkey.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've never ridden up Maxwell when I'm not dead tired trying to get back to the bottom of Black before some kind of time cutoff or finish line - might have been interesting to ride it early in a race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    schadenfreude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is there a list of where the aid stations are? I'm trying to decide if I need to carry a pack, or if 2 bottles will work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Last year they were at TurkeyPen lot, Yellow Gap and the Gauging Station (north end of S. Mills River trail). I carried bottles and no pack last year but regretted that decision later on.

Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    Last year they were at TurkeyPen lot, Yellow Gap and the Gauging Station (north end of S. Mills River trail).
    The 2013 Rest Areas will be the same as 2012 (listed above).
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    What are the approximate trail miles to each rest area?

Like rest area 1 is 14 miles
    rest area 2 is 30 miles
    etc...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Last year on my computer it was about 22 miles to #1. Another 15 or so to #2. Another 20 back to #2, which is also #3. And maybe 10-12 miles to #4, but I gave up at the bottom of Pilot after 11 1/2 hours and took the road back home. Each one of these segments would make for a good mountain bike ride all on it's own.

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks for your help. Just trying figure out drop bags...

drunken pirate
    Sounds good. I'm starting at 5:30am so that I can watch the sun rise as I cross Black and Turkey Pen Gap
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Sounds good. I'm starting at 5:30am so that I can watch the sun rise as I cross Black and Turkey Pen Gap
    Sounds like a good plan. Maybe be home in time for dinner.....

mtbr member
    Good luck to all y'all crazy people doing the 111 tomorrow! That is a mother of a course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Last year on my computer it was about 22 miles to #1. Another 15 or so to #2. Another 20 back to #2, which is also #3. And maybe 10-12 miles to #4, but I gave up at the bottom of Pilot after 11 1/2 hours and took the road back home. Each one of these segments would make for a good mountain bike ride all on it's own.
    that math does not add up. Aid 1 @ 22 miles, Aid 1+15=Aid 2 at 37 miles, Aid 2+20 miles=Aid 3 at 57 miles, Aid 3+12 miles=Aid 4 @ 69 miles. The whole thing is 69 miles. Is aid 4 the finish?

mtbr member
    Well, Morly, why don't you take the whole 60 Minutes crew out there and get some precision measurements and post them up here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, Morly, why don't you take the whole 60 Minutes crew out there and get some precision measurements and post them up here.
    This comment is even less helpful. I guess mileage does not matter anyway. Going over upper black is short as the crow flies but long as the rider walks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morlysafer View Post
    Going over upper black is short as the crow flies but long as the rider walks.
    So true so true..the miles in Pisgah, and how your body feels about them, are terrain dependent.. so the approximate Pisgah miles to each checkpoint are:

Start to checkpoint #1 : a grassy/gravely grind up Clawhammer rd.>hike-a-bike over a few peaks on Black Mnt>on-and-off-the-bike riding with some hike-a-bike pushing on Turkey Pen>checkpoint #1

Checkpoint #1 to #2: 3 substancial river crossings (one that is potentially chamois-soaking) and fun times on Bradley Crk>5015 grassy rd. soul sucker >Yellow Gap; checkpoint #2!

Checkpoint #2 to #3: Drop lots of gravel to then climb lots of gravel>technical uphill singletrack> WOOHOO! THE FUN PART of the RACE! Drop chunky Spencer>quick double track climb>drop flow-y Fletcher>climb short time on gravel>drop a junky section of lower Trace (note:this is the end of the fun part..for now)>river crossings and pushing on N Mills>grassy rd. soul sucker #2>long gravel climb>Yellow Gap; checkpoint #3!

Checkpoint #3 to #4 - Climb and climb and climb on beautiful singletrack with on-and-off-the-bike moments>super steep horrible (but blessedly short) hike-a-bike to top of Pilot>drop rocky-switchbacky-steepness>Short ride on gravel>Checkpoint #4!!

Checkpoint #4 to finish - Some moderately uphill and bumpy singletrack>more of the same>Deja Vu hike-a-bike up and over Black Mnt>Drop some of the sweetest singletrack Pisgah has saved for you>Finish.

Now that doesnt seem so bad, does it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeyPerp View Post
    So true so true..the miles in Pisgah, and how your body feels about them, are terrain dependent.. so the approximate Pisgah miles to each checkpoint are:

Start to checkpoint #1 : a grassy/gravely grind up Clawhammer rd.>hike-a-bike over a few peaks on Black Mnt>on-and-off-the-bike riding with some hike-a-bike pushing on Turkey Pen>checkpoint #1

Checkpoint #1 to #2: 3 substancial river crossings (one that is potentially chamois-soaking) and fun times on Bradley Crk>5015 grassy rd. soul sucker >Yellow Gap; checkpoint #2!

Checkpoint #2 to #3: Drop lots of gravel to then climb lots of gravel>technical uphill singletrack> WOOHOO! THE FUN PART of the RACE! Drop chunky Spencer>quick double track climb>drop flow-y Fletcher>climb short time on gravel>drop a junky section of lower Trace (note:this is the end of the fun part..for now)>river crossings and pushing on N Mills>grassy rd. soul sucker #2>long gravel climb>Yellow Gap; checkpoint #3!

Checkpoint #3 to #4 - Climb and climb and climb on beautiful singletrack with on-and-off-the-bike moments>super steep horrible (but blessedly short) hike-a-bike to top of Pilot>drop rocky-switchbacky-steepness>Short ride on gravel>Checkpoint #4!!

Checkpoint #4 to finish - Some moderately uphill and bumpy singletrack>more of the same>Deja Vu hike-a-bike up and over Black Mnt>Drop some of the sweetest singletrack Pisgah has saved for you>Finish.

Now that doesnt seem so bad, does it?
    Thanks for the beta. Conditions were terrible. The pain is still to near but i expect i will be happy I got out there in a few days, once my body forgets how terrible the experience was.

drunken pirate
    Well, I started at 5:30am, skipped laurel > pilot and still didn't win

But it was quite a pleasant way to spend the day. Sometimes I forget how much fun riding a bicycle in the woods can be. It is easy if you just coast along
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah