Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2009 Beech Mountain Triple Crown Series

Downhill Mountain Bike Racing Returns to Beech Mountain Resort with reintroduction of Triple Crown Series!

Banner Elk, N.C. – Beech Mountain Resort has teamed up with local mountain bike aficionado and professional downhill racer Ryan Taylor to offer three gravity-fed mountain bike racing events in 2009. Together, the team will reintroduce the Beech Mountain Triple Crown Series to attract professional and amateur riders across the Southeast.

Three race dates are set for the 2009 Triple Crown: June 27-28; August 1-2; September 5-6, so mark your calendar now! Competitors will earn points at each event, culminating in series champions in September. Amateur and professional categories will be offered. All racers will compete on a single course descending the full elevation of Beech Mountain. Race entry fees will be $55 for all classes.

According to Taylor, during the 1990’s Beech Mountain was the premier downhill mountain bike racing venue in the Southeast. “Beech was always a classic downhill race venue because of its elevation, turbulent weather and rough terrain. I do not think I can remember a race where weather was not a factor, or where my palms were not sweating at registration.” Now, nearly a decade later, downhill racing returns!

Helmets are mandatory for all competitors. Recommended safety equipment for competitors includes, gloves, long pants, long sleeve shirt, leg armour, arm armour and solid running or bike specific shoes.

To find out more information about the 2009 Triple Crown Series, visit http://www.skibeech.com, or contact Ryan Taylor via email at mbrp07@yahoo.com.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Psyched about this.

Support local racing!

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    They need to bring back the cross country race too! I lost my race virginity on that course in 1997. Bring it back!!!! that climb is sick. Just my $.02......

Trail Liberator

The xc course was crap

The Beech Mtn xc course was the worst of the worst. I raced it many times and hated it every time. I even saw a guy fall over and die at the finish line.

mtbr member
    TC - do you mean die literally? Like dead - not breathing - 6 feet under kind of dead?

Its got what plants crave
    I met Ryan at 26W, pretty cool dude, and he can ride pretty well too. I wish that park had worked out.. hopefully he didn't loose is arse in that venture.

yeah, uh............bikes
    So psyched about this!!! Saw it yesterday on ridemonkey and got the pre-race "jitters" just reading about it.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    "The Beech Mtn xc course was the worst of the worst. I raced it many times and hated it every time. I even saw a guy fall over and die at the finish line."

What are you talking about?!! That course is the epitome of mountain bike riding in NC and should definitely be on the race circuit. Start straight up, go up some more, go down, go up, go down again, rock garden, down some more, go up, up, up, up, up, finish line. Repeat. That finishing climb was like 2 miles long or something. Totally brutal!

Trail Liberator

Dead as a door nail

Yes, the guy died at the finish line. Beech was the worst course. The lay out blew. Why do you think everyone quit going.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    ...Because the mountain was destined to be covered in world-cup level DH tracks?

The terrain is seriously sick out there...I'd certainly rather race DH than XC there!

Trail Liberator

I will agree with that.

I will say that the dh course for the pros was unreal even in the 90's. The section near the road was crazy, massive air there. The rock garden was nice also. I did see lots of crashes on that course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    probably because most every xc pro weenie gets his ass handed to him on a mans course. everyone wants to race little ***** courses like tsali and bump and grind. gay. i will take death rocks over some fluffed up gravel ******** any day.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    AMEN to that! Like I said before, that Beech mtn xc race was the first race I ever did back in 1997 and it handed my ass to me every time, but I never missed it. They used to have 2 races there every year, Wolf Laurel, Sugar mtn, and 2 at Fontana. Now what do we have???? Hobby park, blah, spartanburg, blah, Greensboro, charlotte, blah blah blah...... Racing in NC sucks, road and mtn. We should look to Oregon and Washington for lessons in how to have races. $20 for an OBRA license and races every weekend. Not just crits, but long road races, even 4 or 5 stage race events. And great mtn bike races, even one I did was 30-something mile expert class, one big lap! Lots of climbs, descents and rocks. Oh well, I'm 33 and sound like an old man ranting!

That said, anyone going to Bluefield, WV for the Crying wolf challenge on May 23?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i remember seeing something not too long ago about some mega pro dude that wanted to make mtn bike races more spectator friendly, which he said would basically eliminate races at ski resorts. he said his ultimate race course would be through central park with some stairs and some pavement. i wish i could remember the guys name, but i couldnt help but hate his guts.

mtbr member
    Is somebody playing the violin in here? Man up and go to some of them "real" races if you want to cry about everything that happens in the local area. Do a race yourself and make it the way you want it.

Or best yet, leave the state and go out west where you can find real races.

Myself, I don't really race, just pretend but at least I don't whine about it.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Someone is not paying attention:

-The Most Horrible Thing Ever
    -Pisgah Mtn Bike Adventure Race
    -Double Dare
    -Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell
    -Swank 65
    -Pisgah Stage Race

Not every weekend but definitely tough on mind, body and soul....

I agree with Mater, stop whining and put on a XC summer series......

mtbr member
    There's no money in it for organizers. Plenty of complaints about how much races cost and anything else that can be complained about. There are too many racers,not enough doers. XC racing does not lend itself to spectators. Spectators should go to a NASCAR race to spectate. I couldn't think of a more boring thing to do than to spectate at an XC race.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    There's no money in it for organizers. Plenty of complaints about how much races cost and anything else that can be complained about. There are too many racers,not enough doers. XC racing does not lend itself to spectators. Spectators should go to a NASCAR race to spectate. I couldn't think of a more boring thing to do than to spectate at an XC race.

I remember racing in Helen, GA and seeing a bunch of spectators. There was a MTB festival that weekend so I guess they were friends/family of the riders. They had camped out on a muddy chute as I was hauling down. They cheered when I *didn't* crash But they were obviously there to watch the carnage.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Is somebody playing the violin in here? Man up and go to some of them "real" races if you want to cry about everything that happens in the local area. Do a race yourself and make it the way you want it.

Or best yet, leave the state and go out west where you can find real races.

Myself, I don't really race, just pretend but at least I don't whine about it.
    Dude, leave the state? This isn't some outsider's beef about the race scene here, I was born here, raised here and my family has been here ever since they got off the boat. How about you? After college, at UNCA by the way, I have travelled and ridden at all the major bike cities in every state out west. I even lived in Oregon for a while and even Nepal. But I like it here. And it is a fact, the races now suck. It's not about being a man or whatever. I guess the promotion costs are too much and the entries not enough. And that is because of what ppl have been saying. the races at Beech and Sugar and Wolf were just too hard for a lot of people, so no one came up here to race them. It's too bad though b/c we live in such an incredible place and riding's fun and all, but it is great to get out on local trails w/very hard climbs and descents and go balls to the wall from start to finish for 1:30 hours. But such is the evolution of cross country racing I guess.

I'd love to start a local race series, but can you promote the race and race in it also?

At least this year the French broad classic might actually have some mountains in it. I mean, we do live in the mountains, right?

As for the ORAMM and the other blue ridge adventures races, wtf is up with the entry fees? $100 for the ORAMM??? that's crazy. I guess that's why they've still got 320 openings. It will probably eventually fill up, but still, maybe $60, but $100. No offense to anyone, but that and the $550 for the Pisgah stage race. I honestly can't afford that. I've done similar things to the stage race in Bend, Oregon for like $135 for 3 days, not 4.

Anybody remember the Caldwell county mountain bike mania??? Another classic long gone. Oh well, you're right though, complaining's not gonna help. that's why I'm going to west virginia in a few weeks. I noticed that even Snowshoe doesn't have their NORBA national XC race anymore. I guess it's happening nationwide and I think it's more of a USA Cycling thing. That's why NC should buck USA Cycling and start the NCBRA. Anybody wanna go along with me on that one? Let's start the riot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp
    Dude, leave the state? This isn't some outsider's beef about the race scene here, I was born here, raised here and my family has been here ever since they got off the boat. How about you? After college, at UNCA by the way, I have travelled and ridden at all the major bike cities in every state out west. I even lived in Oregon for a while and even Nepal. But I like it here. And it is a fact, the races now suck. It's not about being a man or whatever. I guess the promotion costs are too much and the entries not enough. And that is because of what ppl have been saying. the races at Beech and Sugar and Wolf were just too hard for a lot of people, so no one came up here to race them. It's too bad though b/c we live in such an incredible place and riding's fun and all, but it is great to get out on local trails w/very hard climbs and descents and go balls to the wall from start to finish for 1:30 hours. But such is the evolution of cross country racing I guess.

I'd love to start a local race series, but can you promote the race and race in it also?

At least this year the French broad classic might actually have some mountains in it. I mean, we do live in the mountains, right?

As for the ORAMM and the other blue ridge adventures races, wtf is up with the entry fees? $100 for the ORAMM??? that's crazy. I guess that's why they've still got 320 openings. It will probably eventually fill up, but still, maybe $60, but $100. No offense to anyone, but that and the $550 for the Pisgah stage race. I honestly can't afford that. I've done similar things to the stage race in Bend, Oregon for like $135 for 3 days, not 4.

Anybody remember the Caldwell county mountain bike mania??? Another classic long gone. Oh well, you're right though, complaining's not gonna help. that's why I'm going to west virginia in a few weeks. I noticed that even Snowshoe doesn't have their NORBA national XC race anymore. I guess it's happening nationwide and I think it's more of a USA Cycling thing. That's why NC should buck USA Cycling and start the NCBRA. Anybody wanna go along with me on that one? Let's start the riot!
    I wasn't focusing any of my comments toward anyone. I just can't ever get over all the whining. Sometimes I think MTBR might be able to turn water into whine.

I understand your beef with prices. That's why I will have the thrid annual NORAMM this year. Yeah its free and fun and there is no water for ANYONE, how bout dem apples?

And to answer your question, no I am not from here but I am marrying into the south for two reasons:

A Great Southern woman and the 400+ miles of riding I can do within an hour of my house. Hell it might even be more than that and that is the reason I dedicated two years of my life to figuring out a way to earn a living in da souf.

Yes you can promote and race the same race, I think most do it whether they are successful or not.

Anyway, I like free races or races where I am at least getting a mile per dollar or benefit a great cause.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

guess what, the races at Beech mtn this year are all DOWNHILL RACES, so you whiny XC boys can put your pink lycra britches back on and go cry over "the good old days" somewhere else.

[SIZE="1"]this should be interesting[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    guess what, the races at Beech mtn this year are all DOWNHILL RACES, so you whiny XC boys can put your pink lycra britches back on and go cry over "the good old days" somewhere else.

[SIZE="1"]this should be interesting[/SIZE]
    Please stop taking up extra white space with your "enter" button, I got crapal tunnel in my wrist from scrollin. . .

I walk my bike downhill cus I am scared of getting holes in my $200.00 lycra penis cover ups. I know i can't say ****z but can I say penis on MTBR?

So yeah, I am scared of them downhills, that's why I like Pisgah, its all uphill.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Please stop taking up extra white space with your "enter" button, I got crapal tunnel in my wrist from scrollin. . .

I walk my bike downhill cus I am scared of getting holes in my $200.00 lycra penis cover ups. I know i can't say ****z but can I say penis on MTBR?

So yeah, I am scared of them downhills, that's why I like Pisgah, its all uphill.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    does anybody have any pics of the Beech mountain DH I have never been and wanted to know what it is like
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freaknunu
    does anybody have any pics of the Beech mountain DH I have never been and wanted to know what it is like
    Here is the start, right out of the gate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYQFQj3XTec
    SEI Racing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast