mtbr member
    Jan 2012

1x10 for Pisgah help...

Hey folks,

Thinking of going 1x10 but Im hesitant about not having enough gear to make some climbs. Im running a 2x10 (32/26 up front) and have yet to really have to use the little ring on the climbs. But...I've only ridden some of Dupont, Wilson, and Kitsuma. I make all the switchbacks on Kitsuma but its rough and by far the toughest thing Ive had to climb. I plan on getting out there and really hitting some new trails for long rides (20+ miles) but didnt want to go 1x10 and be hike-a-biking all the time. My reasoning for going 1x10 is to drop a little weight, simplicity, and the fact that I havent have to use my 26T ring at all. Any thoughts on making the switch? Thanks.

Rogue Exterminator
    Some people ride all of Pisgah on single speeds.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I've ridden 1x9 quite a bit all over WNC. It's fun, but hard. I currently have 30 gears, but my bike came with them. If I was building a bike from scratch, it would be 2X9(10). Grannies are good when the mileage and climbs get longer. I also ride SS, so evidently, when it comes to gearing, I like to swing all ways.
    Pretty helpful, huh?

Asheville YetiRider
    A lot of people may not agree with me. But I am totally happy with the 1x10, 30t front 36t back I use on my HighBall. Before building the bike I researched the **** out of what would be best overall for Pisgah. After many Pisgah races and 1000's of miles I am sold on it. It forces me not to push such a hard gear and spin my legs more. I notice for me it helps save energy during a long day. But then again maybe because the bike is 21lbs could play a part in that. Some like 32, 36 but I don't spin out enough to justify that.
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Hilarious that you think someone else can tell you what gearing to run. You could be a 300lb lard ass or a 120lb teenage boy future Olympiad?
    I run a 36-36 htfu

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the replies. To give yall an idea what kind of rider I am, Im 29yrs old, 160lbs, and I ride a rigid SS 26'er everywhere but the mountains. I run a 32x18 or 17 no problem on my local trails here in Charlotte, but they're pretty flat. My "mountain" bike is a Nomad and weighs approx. 8-10lbs more than my SS. Thats the toughest part of riding in the Mountains is making the switch from a light SS to a heavy(ish) FS bike. Im wanting to do bigger longer rides but dont want to have to walk more than ride. I like the idea of going 1x10 for the reasons i listed but also as a way to force myself to get stronger and faster. I think my main hesitation is not knowing Pisgah well enough to make a decision. Kitsuma's switchbacks are the hardest thing Ive had to climb and I make most of them if I take a break or two halfway. Thanks folks.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Thats the toughest part of riding in the Mountains is making the switch from a light SS to a heavy(ish) FS bike.

I thought the toughest part about riding in the mountains....was the mountains.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use my Nomad for the mountains and run a 32 up front. For the most part it works well, although my next purchase will be a 30 tooth I think.

mtbr member
    If I had to ride a single speed in Pisgah, it would be a 24 x 34. Us lard asses need all the help we can get.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I used to think 1x10 was the stupidest idea ever until I tried it and now I'm hooked. Switched from 2x10 with 36/24 crank and 11-36 cassette a few months ago to XX1 32t crank and still using 11-36 10-speed cassette. I've ridden lots at Bent Creek and some in N. Mills/Pisgah. So far I've been able to clear everything I did with the 2x 36/24 setup (but maybe with a lower cadence). I do have a 30t chainring that I may use for the sufferfest races like ORAMM. I'm a 50yr old cat 1 155lb rider who's been riding/racing since 1987 and have only lived in the mountains for 1.5 yrs.

BTW the XX1 crankset works flawlessly with 10-speed and no chain guide as long as you have a type 2 clutch rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    We just had a rider out in Moab and Fruita running 1x10 using an 11x36 cassette with our new 30 tooth ring and a shadow plus rear der. He said that he definitely used his granny gear, but the gearing range was plenty to go 20mph on the road and 4mph up the steeps....
    Agree w/ readycpa, 1x9, 1x10, or 1x11 is the way to go! Less weight and less stuff to break=)
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Do it! I'm 1x9 on a heavy bike with 32 in front. It does get pushed on the really crappy climbs, but if it was really an issue 1x 10 with a 31 or 30 t up front would completely solve it

I think Pisgah is a place e you can get away with a lower front ring because most trails are on the tight and tech side. Personnaly, I never spin out and need a harder gear to go faster while going DH in pisgah

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    34x11-36 on a tallboy here. sometimes I wish for a little lower gear but for the most part it works. Gearing is situational I feel for the most part. But if Wolftooth wants to send me a 30 tooth to test for em I wouldn't complain.

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Hey folks,

Thinking of going 1x10 but Im hesitant about not having enough gear to make some climbs. Im running a 2x10 (32/26 up front) and have yet to really have to use the little ring on the climbs. But...I've only ridden some of Dupont, Wilson, and Kitsuma. I make all the switchbacks on Kitsuma but its rough and by far the toughest thing Ive had to climb. I plan on getting out there and really hitting some new trails for long rides (20+ miles) but didnt want to go 1x10 and be hike-a-biking all the time. My reasoning for going 1x10 is to drop a little weight, simplicity, and the fact that I havent have to use my 26T ring at all. Any thoughts on making the switch? Thanks.
    I've run ss 32:19, 32:20, and 32:22, 1x5 with 32:32 low gear, 2x8 with a 22:32 low, and now will be setting up a 1x10 with a 28:36. Reason for the 28T is that I never wish for a higher gear in pisgah, only lower. You will find tougher climbs than kitsuma so I wouldn't use it as a bench mark. Realistically though, the 28T will probably just get me a few more feet up a steep climb before I dismount.

HTFU!
    For my first ever PMBAR I ran a 32:20 (as a 5'8", 178lb dude) on my ~23lb 26er SS and it was fine. I did the majority of all my 'hill training' at Umstead Park in the Triangle (longest climb maybe .5 miles). Turned out it was enough as my partner and I (also on a SS in his first PMBAR) had a qualifying finish (which is all the ordinary Joe wants). You will be fine on the SS. Sure, there are plenty of parts where you will hike-a-bike, but so will many of the gearies. If you have ridden PMBAR you have seen plenty of SS bikes out there, rigid even. And right now is the perfect time to start training.

mtbr member
    If you like to ride, run multiple front rings. If you prefer to push, run less front rings.

A granny and der. weigh a few grams more than a guide, and are marginally more challenging to maintain.

Some think it's more macho to ride. The rest think it's more macho to have less gearing. You decide.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L. View Post
    If you like to ride, run multiple front rings. If you prefer to push, run less front rings.

A granny and der. weigh a few grams more than a guide, and are marginally more challenging to maintain.

Some think it's more macho to ride. The rest think it's more macho to have less gearing. You decide.
    Splitting hairs (or grams) here I suppose, but my XTR front shifter, XTR der. along with an slx 22t, cable and necessary housing weighs ~300g. A light chain guide for 1x9 setup (N-Gear w/BBG bash) is ~65g, so you are saving ~235g or ~1/2 lb. That's nothing to sneeze at.
    And not to be argumentative, but you are not necessarily going to be pushing more on a SS. If that's the bike you are use to, then your legs are accustomed to it. Tired legs are tired legs regardless of what you ride. At PMBAR (the beginning traffic jamb up Black mtn. excluded), the decision to get off and push are determined by trail condition, fitness and/or the decision to conserve energy/strength early in the ride. Also, I honestly doubt most riders are thinking about what is more or less macho when it comes to riding...different strokes for different folks. If you have two bikes, ride the one you are most comfortable on. PMBAR is not an event in which you should be experimenting in terms of your ride.

$.02, cha-ching