Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?

Anyone riding a burly hardtail in Pisgah?

I'm covered in the XC 29er department. I would like a second 29er with more travel to compliment it. I started looking at long travel hardtails today.

Short stays, slack angles, big tires. A good Pisgah bike?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need a 27.5, my man. JK
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Sounds like you need a 27.5, my man. JK
    Ya know I demoed one and rode Sycamore Cove. I didn't dig it. It got hung up on the roots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    Ya know I demoed one and rode Sycamore Cove. I didn't dig it. It got hung up on the roots.
    I rode a Krampus in Sycamore last Saturday and thought it did great. With 29+ tires you definitely won't get hung up on the roots. There are lots of guys riding these with 120mm forks and while I haven't heard of anyone running one with a 140mm fork, I'm sure it could be done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?-photo6.jpgI love riding my Yelli Screamy in Pisgah. Super versatile bike and I think it works great out there. I have mine fork set to 130mm, a 55mm stem and 780 bars. Probably the most fun bike I've ever owned. Can't go wrong.

mtbr member

Re: 140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?

Haven't been to Pisgah with it, but I've ridden my Mason all over Pennsylvania, Virginia , Tennessee, and Alabama on rocky, rooty terrain. Should be comparable to what you have there.

If you're looking for a downside, I'd say you can't be sloppy with your body position on loose, steep climbs. As with any hard tail, it can get a little overwhelmed on really fast and rough descents. But for 95 percent of the riding I do it's the perfect tool.

Lots of fun descending, really easy to manual and hop, and just overall a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Im really considering the Yelli with a 130-140mm fork.

ready to ride
    If you are already covered with an XC hardtail. Why not go with a long travel full suspension?

Nothing wrong with a lot of suspension up front but I question how much of a difference it would make to your current ride compared to a FS
    bike?

Then again the new Lenz lunchbox with short stays and 6" of travel makes me drool.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

insert sarcasm here
    The Kona Honzo seems to fit the bill nicely, have you checked it out?
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

banned
    Aug 2013
    Yeah go All-mountainy with 6/7 inches of travel. Try it you might like it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ive been down the full suspension trail bike road. I had a Rumblefish. It was great if I wanted to plow right through stuff. I dont. I want to drive my bike.

Im sick of comparing linkage designs and pedalling platforms. I want to ride a slack, fun bike. I want a killer build for less $$. That has led me to the hardtail.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I have one that was built right there in Pisgah. I've ridden it a good bit in in the area done some PP events etc.. It's pretty fun.
    140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?-dsc_0090.jpg
    140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?-dsc_0110-1.jpg

mtbr member

Re: 140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?

Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac View Post
    I have one that was built right there in Pisgah. I've ridden it a good bit in in the area done some PP events etc.. It's pretty fun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	841703

Name:	DSC_0110-1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	841704
    Looks bad ass!
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	841703

Name:	DSC_0110-1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	841704
    What length fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Im really considering the Yelli with a 130-140mm fork.
    Go for it! You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by jnthomps08 View Post
    what length fork?
    140/110 talas

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

140/110 talas
    Handling still good with 140? I was worried about slow speed stuff.

Handling still good with 140? I was worried about slow speed stuff.
    I think it does a great job at slow speed the overall geometry with the short rear end makes it work as a package. Granted I ride big slack suspension bikes allot.

mtbr member
    I've ridden and owned a lot of bikes. This one is my favorite bike of all time regardless of genre:

140mm Hardtail for Pisgah?-dscn6749.jpg

It's the best handling bike I've ever ridden. Be wary of front derailleur and 2X crank fitment on this frame. I have ridden it with a 2X crank and had clearance issues with big rear tires and only had about 1.5mm of clearance from the stays and the large chain ring. Bike should be sold as a 1X option only IMO. If that's a deal breaker, you need a bike with long and boring stays...

Also get a short stem, wide bars, LEV post, and a 51mm offset fork and forget about riding your "race bike" ever again.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Ive been down the full suspension trail bike road. I had a Rumblefish. It was great if I wanted to plow right through stuff. I dont. I want to drive my bike.

Im sick of comparing linkage designs and pedalling platforms. I want to ride a slack, fun bike. I want a killer build for less $$. That has led me to the hardtail.
    Don't think for one minute that the Rumblefish represents what a f/s 29er can ride like.

That bike, like the majority of 29" wheel bikes are exactly why it's taken me this long to finally find one that I like.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Don't think for one minute that the Rumblefish represents what a f/s 29er can ride like.

That bike, like the majority of 29" wheel bikes are exactly why it's taken me this long to finally find one that I like.
    As long as the Yelli can climb well (single ring is fine) and descend faster, more comfortably than my 100mm hardtail, I'll be satisfied.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a size small Honzo for sale in the Asheville area if you're interested. PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As long as the Yelli can climb well (single ring is fine) and descend faster, more comfortably than my 100mm hardtail, I'll be satisfied.
    My yelli replaced a Soul Dillinger, a 100mm hardtail with pretty traditional geometry. Difference is night and day in terms of overall capability in both technical climbing and descending. Rear end is stiffer and the short stays really let you push through the corners. Slack headtube makes it more stable but the shorter overall wheelbase keeps it agile. Sorry to gush but I really love the bike, think they hit the geo just right for my riding style.

Hardtail is fun but it will beat you up if you're not used to it. Benefits are obvious, lighter, stiffer, cheaper, less maintenance but FS will be a lot more comfy, will grip on techy climbs better and will descend considerably faster in rooty, rocky,, rutted out Pisgah.

I got a chance to ride a Kona Process 111 and I have to say it's basically a Yelli Screamy FS, super playful, pretty effecient, and built tough. Much more capable than the travel numbers indicate. Excellent bike.

mtbr member
    I feel like I'm learning how to be smooth on the Yelli on the wide open descents where I'm not always 100% sure where I should put the rear wheel. I've noticed that I'm just as fast in most areas on the hard tail so long as my legs are fresh, minus any trail gaps that I was far better on with the f/s bike. Conversely, the slower more technical climbs and slower steeper down hill moves, I really prefer this bike. I'm really late to the big wheel party but now that I'm really comfortable on one it's really opened my eyes to how a 29er can simply flatten out the trail. That said I'm looking to grow the stable next year and it's going to be a f/s trail bike of some sort. I'm hoping my time on the hard tail will make me better on the f/s when it's time.
    My one says BRAP!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Count me as another new and totally stoked Yelli-Screamy owner. And I'm gonna brag on it in this thread cuz its more the Pisgah bike than I would have thought or meant it to be.

What I wanted was a Dupont bike, (I have a full squish for Pisgah) so I took a chance and bought the frame based on the CanFields reputation as a very nimble/playful 29er hardtail. I built it up with their recommended travel 120mm fork, then a 1 X 10 drive and the widest bars I've ever reached for.

While the bikes ability exceeds my flowy/swoopy trail expectations in Dupont, it also shines where I never expect it to. It climbs steep techy like no other. I've just ridden some of the rockiest crap I could throw at it and it climbs like a billy goat. I don't know how you'd like it with a 140mm fork but it could'nt be that far off from my experience. I highly recommend this bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast