mtbr member
    Mar 2006

10th Anaversary of DuPont's waterfalls tract

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...a-site-for-all

Good article with the history of DuPont and the struggle to save the heart of DSF from development.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    One word only reply necessary "AWESOME"

mtbr member

Great Background Info...

Woodman--
    Thanks for posting the link--everyone who has ridden DSF needs to know how close we came to seeing condos and a golf course around High Falls and Triple Falls! (Of course, we WOULDN'T see them, because we wouldn't have access to those 2200 acres in the center of DSF!)
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

drunken pirate
    Very good read. Thanks
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Its got what plants crave
    So one of the guys who was largely responsible for the state's acquisition of the land is the current president of the Sierra Club?

I hate the Sierra Club but I love DuPont and I'm so glad it was protected and not sold to corporate azzholes to turn it into some country club for yuppies.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    So one of the guys who was largely responsible for the state's acquisition of the land is the current president of the Sierra Club?

I hate the Sierra Club but I love DuPont and I'm so glad it was protected and not sold to corporate azzholes to turn it into some country club for yuppies.

Jim,

Chuck M. was the national President of SC at the time that the struggle was going on and had also been President of NC Chapter. Bill Thomas was the Chair of the local SC Chapter during the struggle and was also involved in the Friends of the Falls campaign.

DuPont is a great example of putting differences aside and working toward a common goal. If we would have been having the "normal" debates that different groups have (mtn bikers vs. Sierra Club, equestrians vs. mtn bikers) we would have lost the fight. Instead we all banded together and worked for saving the property. Mountain bikers worked very hard on this issue and provided much of the needed leadership on trails after the state acquired the property. That gained a level of respect with both the land managing agency and other user groups. That would also be why we have had a great long term influence on trail management in DSF. The local mtn bike club (Pisgah Area SORBA) has our best relationship with DSF.

Woody

Its got what plants crave
    While I agree that bickering between users rarely gets anything accomplished, it seems to me that the Sierra Club's MO is exclusion of other user groups, as they deem anything without hiking boots to be a destructive influence. Anyway, not to derail your thread, and thanks for the history behind Dupont, it is interesting information and a prime example of how people with money and influence can attempt to exploit virtually all resources for financial gain at the expense of the environment and the good of the average joe.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good article in the Times/News on yesterdays celebration:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...1027?p=1&tc=pg

Slide-show:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...1027?p=1&tc=pg

Editorial:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...s-worth-it-all

I will post up some additional photos later, the cake (a forest scene with waterfall, trees, bears, and a trail and bridge) was awesome.

Woody