Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    I just bought a Charger 9.2 2015 and I gotta say I've been following the brand since 2013 and they've been doing some mayor improvements and finally decided to try them. Gonna upgrade the wheelset and the fork for lighter weight.

Anyone with a 9.2 2015 that has made some mayor improvements to keep in mind in the future?

meow, meow.
    Another report on a Norco Fluid 7.1 2014. I have replaced the stock headset on one of those frames with Cane Creek 40 (ZS44/28.6|ZS56/40) top and bottom cups. The customer was complaining on an annoying clicking noise coming, as he thought, from crankset/lower pivot area for several months. Upon 1st inspection, I found the source to be the stock headset. I overhauled it, as it was in a poor state from too much washing bike upside down. The noises became less frequent but remained.

Then I had the experience I mentioned above, with headset on another such (new) frame, where I found the fit of the lower cup to be too loose, shallow and irregular, and glued the stock cup in. So I suggested this customer (with the older frame, one that had noises) to replace it with a real headset. Some weeks later, I did the job, faced fork crown and the headtube and had to ream the 44 mm diameter because the fit up there was way too tight. I have not touched the loose fitting 56 mm (bottom) area. The lower cup went in a bit too easily for my liking. But it's machined and it sits at least 2x deeper in the headtube than the stock stamped steel thingy.

Since I assembled it, the noises are gone, the headset spins better than the stock one did back when it was new, and it has not developed play (didn't require adjustment after 1st rides).

In other news about that frame, I had replaced the bearings in the rocker arm that connect it to the seatstays, as the stock ones got rough and the guy attempted to punch them out and replace himself. He didn't succeed at getting the old bearings out, neither did I when I used a blind puller (the one with a slide hammer). So I made a bearing press out of lubricated, 12.9 tempered M8x70 bolt, a tall, 10 tempered flanged nut, some strong washers and a ground down socket. The bearings came out then. Looks like those holes have a too tight and irregular fit as well (that is they are not round enough and are a bit too small). There are no traces of machining in the holes, so I don't call them bores. They look forged in the same operation that made the halves of the rocker arm.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My Shinobi

fun bikeWho Rides A Norco?-204.jpg

mtbr member
    His & hers...

mtbr member
    Started riding norco in the end of 2012...owned 5of theme since good stuffWho Rides A Norco?-uploadfromtaptalk1456208102586.jpgmy latest rig 2016 torrent 650+

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

rubber side down
    First time Norco owner. Lightly used 2013 Norco Sight Killer B with a Pike RCT3 150mm, Zee cranks, XT and Raceface Atlas parts...Should have the rest built and adjusted tomorrow. Can't wait to slay this thing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Rides A Norco?-norco3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    I too have a 13 ...killer b ....love DAT thang .......I like ur color way tho ,,,waaay better than mine!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

rubber side down
    First ride was sweet! Just need some suspension adjustments and minor tweeking...I dig the color too!
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JHwick View Post
    His & hers...
    How is the fox evol doing on the sight? I'm thinking of picking one up.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Evol air can makes the bike really supple and smooth at the start.
    With the Sight having a progressive leverage ratio, most shocks will pretty feel supple anyway, so I don't feel the advantage is huge. You'd notice the improvement more on on a bike that has a linear rate.
    Still a good shock in any case. It was particularly well suited to my wife. She's 50kg and doesn't hit stuff too hard. We removed the volume spacers to make it more linear, that way she can better access the available travel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My 2014 Sight

mtbr member
    2013 Sight Killer B. That new Optic has my eye as well.

Who Rides A Norco?-sight_13.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Who Rides A Norco?-image.jpg
    My norco
    XT stoppers
    race face bars
    Flow rims

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I ride two Norco's. Can't beat em!

My CCX3

My Torrent 7.2
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Sergeant

CAMBr Trail Crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Huge upgrade from my 09 Teocali
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Rides A Norco?-20160716_130833.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

2016 Norco Sight 7.2

Who Rides A Norco?-image.jpg

Just upgraded from a 2013 Scott genius 740 to the Norco Sight 7.2 this is my first carbon bike absolutely loving it can't wait to get it to New Zealand

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here is my 2016 Sight A7.1! I've always been a hardtail fanboy and this is my first full suspension bike, all I have to say is wow!

Only little tweak so far is some Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes with 203mm rotors front and rear, out of the box I found the standard Shimano brakes lacking a lot but that's the only little niggle, otherwise a fantastic bike!

mtbr member

Another Norco in the stable...

Who Rides A Norco?-img_1725.jpg

mtbr member
    Built some new wheels for the Optic; Nextie rims with Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DDDonny View Post

Nice color. I see you use the DB inline shock. Do you know the base line tune for the inline? I just wanna make sure I get it right. Replacing my worn out rock shox. Any info would help. Thanx!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I still ride and like my custom 2015 7.2c Sight a lot
    Who Rides A Norco?-s1600_img_1384.jpg

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by gocat View Post
    Nice color. I see you use the DB inline shock. Do you know the base line tune for the inline? I just wanna make sure I get it right. Replacing my worn out rock shox. Any info would help. Thanx!
    Here ya go!

mtbr member
    Hey thanx. DDdonny! Just got my first ride in today with the inline. Muddy in NorCal. And I realize just going to C.C. Website would tell me too!

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Hey thanx. DDdonny! Just got my first ride in today with the inline. Muddy in NorCal. And I realize just going to C.C. Website would tell me too!
    No sweat, man! I like to help out whenever I can...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well... after a cascade of errors from my LBS, mainly assembly issues and two replacements. I've finally got my upgrade and assembled it myself! Here's my new 2017 A7.1... with a few minor upgrades.

meow, meow.
    Looking nice! Can't go wrong with Hope and Renthal.

Hopefully the frame serves you well for a few years with no issues.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    My 2015 Sight. With Fox transer dropper , remote by wolftooth. And Dt Swiss XMC 1200 wheels. My new CC inline iL shock .Not much riding in North cal these days. Too much rain.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Rides A Norco?-img_0579.jpg  

CAMBr Trail Crew
    My 2015 Sight. With Fox transer dropper , remote by wolftooth. And Dt Swiss XMC 1200 wheels. My new CC inline iL shock .Not much riding in North cal these days. Too much rain.......
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    New parts for 2017.

Xt 11-46
    Xtr derailleur and shifter
    Absolute black oval
    E.thirteen trsr carbon crank
    Nobl tr38s with i9 hubs
    Suntour Durolux r2c2

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That's looking sweet. What size DHFs are they you've squeezed in there? It looks tight in the rear!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    That's looking sweet. What size DHFs are they you've squeezed in there? It looks tight in the rear!
    I have the 2.5 wide trails. In one spot I only have 1/4" clearance. Everywhere else is at least 1/2"
    Last edited by mdennett99; 03-09-2017 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just put deposit down on a 2016 Sight C7.4. clearance. Was a tough decision between that and the 2017 Optic C7.3 the LBS had.

In the end, couldn't beat the $2500 price for a carbon bike. Now to shed as much weight with the little cash that I have left...

Probably an XT 1x11 groupset and a carbon handle bar to start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Nice, that's a good price. I'd be interested to hear how much it actually weighs. At a rough guess I reckon a medium will be about 14kg.

Unfortunately I think that moving to an XT 1x11 won't shed much weight - those big cassettes are not light. I run 1x10 (11-36) which, if you can get away with it, is actually quite light and very cheap. It's worth considering.

A quick look over the specs - that handlebar will weigh a lot, IIRC mine was over 400g (off a 2015 alu model, but I assume the same) - you can drop over 100g for ~$50 sticking to aluminium, or a lot more than that if you go carbon and also replace the stem (go a 35mm clamp).

I don't know how much the brakes weigh, however I didn't like them so swapped them out.

The other obvious place to shed weight is the wheelset.

I'd recommend just riding it for a bit first however and see how you like it - you'll know a LOT more about what you like/dislike even after just a few rides. Playing the weight-weenie game gets expensive quickly, and it's never going to be a feather-weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Nice, that's a good price. I'd be interested to hear how much it actually weighs. At a rough guess I reckon a medium will be about 14kg.

Unfortunately I think that moving to an XT 1x11 won't shed much weight - those big cassettes are not light. I run 1x10 (11-36) which, if you can get away with it, is actually quite light and very cheap. It's worth considering.

A quick look over the specs - that handlebar will weigh a lot, IIRC mine was over 400g (off a 2015 alu model, but I assume the same) - you can drop over 100g for ~$50 sticking to aluminium, or a lot more than that if you go carbon and also replace the stem (go a 35mm clamp).

I don't know how much the brakes weigh, however I didn't like them so swapped them out.

The other obvious place to shed weight is the wheelset.

I'd recommend just riding it for a bit first however and see how you like it - you'll know a LOT more about what you like/dislike even after just a few rides. Playing the weight-weenie game gets expensive quickly, and it's never going to be a feather-weight.
    Yea 14kg sounds accurate. I was planning to do an XT 1x11 set but with SRAM XO crank arms deal that I came across. I'm open to a 1x10 also. This isn't just for weight shaving but also for higher quality. I demo'd the stock '16 sight 7.4 and didn't like the Deores(?) that was on there.

Definitely gonna swap out bars and stem. Possibly rear tire too. Wheels will come later.

This will serve as a secondary bike, so I'm not in a hurry to get it built and on the trail.

I hear ya on giving it a couple rides. Speaking of which, I spent half a day yesterday demoing the Sight and the '17 optic 7.3. I really like the Optic. Sacrificing travel and versatility, but quicker spooling, can toss it around more, better equipped and definitely lighter out the box. What I envisioned as my first carbon bike. Dealer is offering $3k. Hmm I'm starting to second guess myself now...what do you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've never owned anything higher spec than Deores, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing out on, however mind seem to shift perfectly. As for weight, well to give an example I have an alu model (medium size) with slightly heavier fork and 2.6 tyres, no carbon parts, and it's around 13.5kg.

As for Optic vs Sight, IMO it's mostly in the anti-squat. The Optic suspension stays more active when pedelling and so is probably less efficient without using a rear shock trail or lockout mode, whereas the Sight stiffens up quite a bit (pedal bob is non-existant IMO). What this ultimately equates to, keeping in mind that I've never ridden the Optic, is that the Sight will be efficient up fireroads and will also work very effectively on smoother trails. The Optic I expect to be more efficient climbing up and through technical stuff as it will maintain traction and not bounce you around, however extended cilmbs you might want to reach for a rear shock switch.

My take on the Norcos is this:
    - Range - up the fireroad, bomb down the descents
    - Optic - mixed single-track
    - Sight - somewhere in between

The Optic actually suits what I ride a lot of the time, however I do prefer more travel than it offers, so another brands longer travel bike with lower anti-squat would make more sense for me. Running a 2.6 tyre on the rear has made up for it to some extent as it allows the lower pressure to take bumps and maintain traction and has made climbing tech a heap easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm with you. As spirited and fun as the Optic feels, it's always comforting having travel. Most of the trails I'm on aren't singletrack anyways (though being on the Optic makes me want to seek em out).

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So picked up my Sight 7.4 today. Replaced pretty much everything except the dropper post and brakes (though I got 180mm rotors both front and back). Also replaced the Rev fork with a heavier Pike. Running tubeless as well. Before throwing on my HT flat pedals, it's weighing in at around 27.5 lbs or 12.5 kg. I'm guessing I shaved anywhere between 2.5-3 lbs.

Threw on a Rock Razor tire on the rear, and WOW. That was the real difference maker. Off the line feels like the Optic, but much more stable.
    Last edited by p00kienrayray; 03-27-2017 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I REALLY tried to listen to this very sound advice, but the more illogical side of me took over lol. Besides, this was considered just a fun project. Cost me about $900 in upgrades, but don't forget that I have the new unused stock parts that I can sell or throw on a future build! :-P

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234