Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Truax?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Truax build nearly complete

Well pretty much got the build complete and out for a quick ride tonight. Got a race that works with the 1.5 bottom cup and bearing that fits the 1 1/8 steerer on my fork. Tried out a new bar 740 with only a little rise.

Ended up adjusting a couple of times on the ride, will go back to a riser I am more familiar with. Likely a 30-40mm rise. For me a low rise and wide beyond 720 just does not feel confident or comfortable. I have a 30mm rise 710 bar I will try for the next ride. Also want to have the angleset on to see how that will feel as well.

Despite the issues with the bar, the bike felt pretty good. Really noticed how smooth the rear suspension felt and the front lofted up relatively easy. Despite the really short stem 45 or 50mm the reach did feel a little longer than I am accustom to. Perhaps the riser will sort this out, if not perhaps a 35-40mm stem might work.

Oh yah, with 1.5 ply tires, Muddy Mary FR 2.4 front, and Big Betty 2.4 on the bike I had the bike as low at 35.2lbs. Not too shabby. Once I get dual ply tires on and the dropper I am sure it will be 37lbs.

Here are a couple of shots from the first ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truax?-p1040771.jpg  

Truax?-p1040772.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do they still sell frameset only?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I believe the frameset only is available. Saw it somewhere on one of the reviews. I purchased my used and pretty much replaced the stock bits with my parts I had to get the bike where I wanted it.

Worked out pretty well as the shock size (8.75 x 2.75) is the same as my previous bike so I just swapped around. My Talas 180 moved across with using a CC Angleset for a 1 1/8 steerer tube.

Kept the wheels and cranks as they didn't seem to be an issue. I am getting some different end caps for my Hope wheels so that I can have a backup rear wheel. (135 x 10 to 142 x 12).

Last change is to find a 35mm or 40mm stem from the stock 50mm stem. At 5' 10" tall the medium Truax does feel larger then my previous FR bikes.

Just back from vacation and now the weather has been absolute crap here so, haven't been out much.
    Will get some time on the bike and report back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey,

I noticed that all the Truax's and Aurums have the shocks mounted with the resevoir and/or body on the bottom, so that the stanchion is at the top and cycles into the body at the bottom. If that makes sense...

I mounted a DHX Air (and my Vivid Air when I had it) with the body at the top, and the stanchion at the bottom. I noticed that after virtually every ride, with both shocks, there was EXCESSIVE oil build-up on the front of the stanchion, and if I cleaned it off after each ride, there would be an excessive amount (mixed with dirt of course)by the end of the next ride. It is excessively more so than any other shock I have used.

Has anyone else seen this? It's almost as if the way the shock cycles (due to frame design??) it puts excessive pressure on only one side, so that the seal is less effective on the other, hence oil leaking out..??..

I noticed that when I tried a Roco Air WC on the bike, with the shock inverted (so the body is at the bottom, stanchion at the top), there wasn't any excessive oil build-up, but I wonder if that's becasue of gravity keeping the oil lower in the shock. Also, the shock felt like total **** mounted this way, as I think the seals weren't lubricated enough, and so were heating up the shock so that performance went out the window (which is why I went to a DHX Air, which has been good, save for this oil leaking).

It makes me wonder if Norco intentionally mounts the shock like they do for this reason..??..

This week I will be putting on an X-fusion Vector Air HLR, so I'll report back if that shock suffers the same excessive oil leaking.

What do you guys think? Has anyone experienced this as well? I have talked to Norco, but without them seeing the specific bike (ie: me sending it into them), they aren't quite sure what I am referring to, nor do they really have an answer.

Thanks guys!
    -Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699 View Post
    Hey,

I noticed that all the Truax's and Aurums have the shocks mounted with the resevoir and/or body on the bottom, so that the stanchion is at the top and cycles into the body at the bottom. If that makes sense...
    Mike

In some cases shocks are mounted in either direction based on clearance. Some believe keeping the weight as low as possible on the frame helps with centre of gravity. I run my Vivid Air in the position so I can easily get to the air valve and the compression control.

I don't think it should matter which way a shock it mounted if the seals are working properly, as they should not be leaking from simple gravity. The pressure inside a shock would be larger than gravity, for example air shocks run 150 - 250 psi, coil springs range from 250 lb/in to 500+ (or at least I think the spring measurement is lbs/in.)

Hope that helps and you are able to get any issue you have with your bike sorted out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks Man. I totally didn't think about the lower center of gravity thing, but that makes sense.

I have noticed it (the excessive oil) on a couple other Truax's I have seen with the shock mounted with the body at the top, so I don't think it's an issue specific to mine. Who knows. I am still waiting to hear back from Norco, but I am not too worried. Performance doesn't really suffer, so we'll see.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Truax updates

Ok finally have finished the changes to the Truax build I wanted.

Larger rise for the handle bar (720mm x 40mm rise), shorter stem (35mm), Hadley 142 x 12 hub on Super 28 rim (traded my Hadley 150 x 12), King 20mm front on 721 rim (from previous build).

Latest pic doesnt' show it on, but I swap my KS i900 between frames, super easy to do as it is the non-remote version.

Anyways, here are the pics. Still need to learn how to use a camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truax?-p1050135.jpg  

Truax?-p1050142.jpg  

Truax?-p1050134.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's my Truax in it's final build after an awesome ride today on Seymour in North Vancouver. Stock drivetrain/wheels (cheap, but super durable i have found, especially here in North Van. Suspension upgrades to an X-Fusion Vector Air RLC, TALAS180 RC2 Kashima, and Specialized Command Post.

This bike rips! After trying pretty much every air shock on the market on this bike (DHX Air, RP23, Marz Roco Air TST, Rock Shox Monarch RT3, Rock Shox Vivid Air R2C), this Vector Air is bar none, THE best air shock I have ever ridden. Sooooo plush, soooo controlled, and the adjustments do wonders in changing the feel of the bike. I can adjust it to be really stiff (simply by adjusting the low speed compression), allowing to climb almost as good as my Anthem that i had before this. Or, I can back off the compression adjustments, and it sits really nicely into it's sag, giving the bike a really nice descending platform. It makes the Vivid I had on there feel like child's play, and the DHX Air... well the Vector Air makes that feel like a total piece of junk.

I'd write a more professional sounding review, but this shock has just completely blown my mind, and after struggling to find something that really worked for this bike and the riding I was doing (a lot of climbing with long, technical sustained descents), I just couldn't (and still can't) believe just how much better this shock is on the Truax than any of the others I tried prior. I never ran the Truax with a coil shock, so I can't really comment on those, but as far as air shocks go, this is bar-none, the best I've ridden... maybe on any bike.

The TALAS180 also allows this bike to be put into a really comfortable climbing position, steepening out the seat-angle just enough to get good power transfer, and keep the front wheel nicely locked to the ground (generally), but keeping the angles slack enough for less steep/less tech descents to be managed with the fork in 140mm. Really recommend the adjustable fork on this bike if you want it to be a "do-all" bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truax?-2013-01-15_12-42-24_849.jpg  

Truax?-2013-01-15_12-42-44_601.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699
    ... After trying pretty much every air shock on the market on this bike (DHX Air, RP23, Marz Roco Air TST, Rock Shox Monarch RT3, Rock Shox Vivid Air R2C), this Vector Air is bar none, THE best air shock I have ever ridden ...
    Bigmike - Sound interesting on the Vector Air. I had an the X-Fusion shock that is similar to the RP3/RP23 on my trail bike. It was more lively but still reasonably controlled, but just didn't nail it. I now run a stock Monarch RC3 Plus and like it over a tuned RP23.

For the Vector Air I have heard all positive comments. I don't really have enough time on the Vivid Air to like it or dislike it. What tune were you running, settings ...

Will likely run into you at one point, sounds like we both like hitting up Fromme & Seymour and pedal up for the most part. I'll be the guy riding the blue Truax that looks a little like yours.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice bike man,

I'd let you ride my Range if I can ride yours.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rideitall, funny enough I found the RP23 to be a great shock on the Truax. I was using it as an intermediary while waiting for my Vector Air to arrive. I actually really enjoyed riding it.

I also rode the Truax for a while with a 8.5"x2.5" shock. It slackened out the angles a bit, and lowered the BB. In this geometry set-up, the bike descended really well, feeling very stable and controlled. That said, the BB height was TOO low I think. I didn't do any measurements, but it felt considerably lower. Again, great for descending, but not so good for anything else.

I love this bike. I've had some bike commitment issues, averaging 3-4 different bikes a season. But this bike is amazing. I haven't ridden a bike that's as fun, overall. Sure, there are bikes that climb better, and sure, there are bikes that descend better, but I haven't ridden a bike that does both as well as the Truax.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Truax rides quite nice. Like yours the Talas 180 allows climbing to be a little easier once dropped down in to the 140mm travel setting. I have a 1 degree angle set on mine so it is pretty slack, but the BB does not seem too low. Should measure one of these days.

Will definitely need to get some more time on the bike as the weather improves and get a better picture of how the Vivid Air works on the bike. You really piqued my interest in the Vector Air, especially as you also had the Vivid Air on the Truax already and from the sounds of it ride similar trail as myself.

Do you remember what tune you had on the Vivid? Also is there specific tunes for the Vector Air?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey,

The Vivid Air I had was a M/M tune. It was a great shock for descending, but I didn't find that I could stiffen it out enough with the LSC to climb it very well. So it was either or, sagged for descending, but not for climbing, or nicely set up for climbing, but not that great for descending. Plus, the Vivid is a fairly high-maintenance shock, and I just didn't want to play around with that, especially after the shock blew up after 3 months of riding and needed a full rebuild.

Contact Renegade Cycle (Home - Renegade Cycle Solutions) if you want a Vector Air. They are the Canadian distributor, and while you may be able to get a better deal from a shop if they ordered it in for you, you can order direct from Renegade and they are pretty cool dudes there. Trust me, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Damn you BM, you just had to mention how good the Vector Air was. I too was happy with the Vivid Air on the Truax but perhaps not 100% over the top. Perhaps it was not enough setup time or just the fact that I am used to dialing both low and high speed compression.

I will give it some additional setup time, and fiddle around a little more. The tune I have is the ML (med comp and low reb), which does seem fine. Running right around 30% sag. Don't want to run any more sag as without the HS comp adjustment there isn't anyway to compensate and adjust for increased sag. On the other hand I don't think that running 25% on a FR bike will provide the plush ride I also want.

I will get the bike out over the next little while and try it some more, but with the weather it has been easier to take the trail bike out.

That said, I also managed to find a Vector Air HLR and it is now headed my direction. So perhaps by the time the weather improves enough to drag out the big bike I will have the Vector in place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice!!! You'll love it! the Vivid Air was great, but like you, I wasn't as blown away by it as I think I should be by a shock that costs that much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mike
    What kind of setup are you running on the Vector Air, curious on the impact to ride that reservoir setup has.

I read that the res chamber size can be altered (drop res air pressure first) to impact how the shock ramps up, if it is like other shocks a higher res pressure could also mean a higher impact on the H/L compression range (Manitou Revox worked this way).

What sag are you running on the Truax along with the H/L compression. Hopefully my shock will be in the next few days.

Cheers
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I picked this up last week...2011 Truax 1. I've replaced the stock Van R shock with a DHX4 (freshly rebuilt at Push), installed my KS dropper, WTB Pure V saddle, ODI tick grips, and DMR V-8 pedals. Replacing the green der cable tonight I love this bike!

Truax?-p4pb9279659.jpgTruax?-p4pb9279643.jpgTruax?-p4pb9279656.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    2_WD, looks good. Can't quite tell from the angle, but does the tire hit the dropper cable when compressed? Was the bike built with the coil or did you add it onto the bike. How's the ride with it.

I just swapped my old i900 (no remote) off my trail bike onto my Truax. It works pretty well perhaps a little more finicky to drop with the slacker seat angle, but still loads better than no dropper at all.

I still have only 5-6 rides on the Truax, because I have been having too much fun on the smaller bike, but will make an effort to get the Truax out and about on the trails.

I picked up a Lev for my trail bike. So nice to have the remote vs the under the seat lever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    2_WD, looks good. Can't quite tell from the angle, but does the tire hit the dropper cable when compressed? Was the bike built with the coil or did you add it onto the bike. How's the ride with it.

I just swapped my old i900 (no remote) off my trail bike onto my Truax. It works pretty well perhaps a little more finicky to drop with the slacker seat angle, but still loads better than no dropper at all.

I still have only 5-6 rides on the Truax, because I have been having too much fun on the smaller bike, but will make an effort to get the Truax out and about on the trails.

I picked up a Lev for my trail bike. So nice to have the remote vs the under the seat lever.
    Thanks for the props rideitall, your bike looks good too...i really like the bars. Regarding the dropper cable hitting the tire...i haven't noticed anything yet and i'd imagine the stays will keep the cable out of the tire's way, but you got my curiosity going so i'm going to specifically check that tonight
    I swapped the original shock/coil (Van R/450# coil) with a freshly Push'd (DHX4/550# coil). What a difference! the Van R is so basic comapred to the DHX4's propedal feature. So glad i had it to swap...

Dropper posts rule!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Finally got out on the Truax again over the past week. Rode once on some trails that I have been riding my trail bike on and the Truax felt a little slow and I noticed the extra weight. Tweaked the setup on the Vector HLR a little before heading out this weekend onto some pretty technical trails.

The Truax was feeling great. The slack head angle was definitely appreciated on the steeps on the shore. Dropping the air pressure rear shock allowed the bike to ride so much smoother. The only issue now exists between the handle bars and the pedals. After riding the trail bike so much as compared to the Truax, I need to let the Truax run and not ride it like a small bike as it is far more capable then how I am currently riding.

All in all good fun and really starting to get the feel for the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here's my Truax..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2