Just thought I would post this up even though I'm not sure if this has been covered or not for the Shore line (I'm thinking it has to be though I didn't turn up anything with a search). I destroyed my DHX 5.0 trying to do a home rebuild, I maintain it's not my fault though! I highly doubt anybody could have released that base nut without stripping the schnizzle out of it, but I digress.... I needed a new shock and it's tough to find an 8.75 x 2.5 aftermarket. I definitely wanted something user serviceable that would be a more meat and potatoes shock (less gadgets, more plush). A brief search turned up a used aftermarket full of cheap and freshly rebuilt Roco TST R coil shocks in the 8.75 x 2.75 variety. Got the gears turning, the 05 shore has a variety of shock mounting positions to play with leverage ratio and adjust the rear travel, I could easily find one that would give me the 8" of travel I wanted, the question was clearance. Did a quick mock up for a full compressed event for the 8.75 x 2.75 shock size and found there was no clearance issues with the rear tire and saddle. Pulled the trigger and have been extremely happy with the results. The Roco is silky smooth, much much better than the old and busted DHX it replaced and I believe it is partly due to the slightly lower leverage ratio achieved by running the shock shuttle in the highest position and the shock mount on the upper mount on the rocker link (the one labeled 7.4"). The math indicates this setup gives 8.1" of travel with a 2.95:1 leverage ratio.

Frame provides great access to the TST adjustment too, didn't even think about that before I mounted it up!