mtbr member
    May 2005

Sight/Sight KillerB BB height

Killer B isn't out yet but standard Sight has roughly the same 13.4 vs 13.3 and I'm concerned with this low height for New England rocks

Who's got a Sight and how have the pedal strikes been and what conditions are you riding in?

I've now got a Jamis Dakar B2 650B and the BB is 13.4" and was considering getting a new Sight Killer B frame and moving the parts over (slacker HA, shorter CS, true HL swingarm, more travel). Thing is with the Jamis is the repeated pedal strikes and bash guard hits on rocks and over logs in our terrain. It's rideable but quite annoying as you have to be thinking about all the time. Since the Norco isn't any higher is it just gonna be the same deal with it's active HL suspension or am I possibly missing something?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    My Shinobi is supposedly 13.2", but I measure 13" with 2.2" tires ont it. I also run more sag than I probably should (about 35%) and I frequently hit my pedals if I'm not careful. With time, I've gotten a lot better at avoiding this, but I still hit a few times each ride. Also, I run flat pedals so my width is a little wider than someone with clipless. On the positive side though, the bike rails on the corners because of the low center of gravity.

I wish more bikes had adjustable BB heights since not all of us live on the flowy west coast. There are a lot of trails where I would be happy to have an extra half inch + of height--even if it meant a slightly steeper head angle. On the other hand, there are lots of flowy trails around too where it is really nice to snap it around in the turns like you can only do with a low BB height bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info but 13" No way I could live with that

I like the new KillerB Sight but the new Rocky Altitude with it's 9 setting adjustable geometry is looking really good to me. I can have the BB up in the 13.75-14" range if desired. Carbon version available also.

Lord Francois is doing a big 650B bike shootout and gathering bikes now for testing. He's also got a bunch of new Schwalbe 650 tires to try out. Should be fun and pretty interesting I think to see how the bikes stack up.

Jamis, KHS, Rocky, Intense, Scott, Norco, Foes 275, Ibis Mojo HD 140 converted, SC TRc converted, hopefully Ventana Zeus and some other surprises. Turner Burner is getting redesigned with a higher BB so it wont be there.

mtbr member
    To each their own - I ride a Banshee Spitfire with 12.9" BB height and LOVE IT. I'll never go back to old-school geometry. You just need to learn to ratchet your pedals to avoid strikes, The difference in stability at speed is unreal. I'm way, and I mean WAY, faster on low BB/slacker bikes and can't wait to try the new Norco 650b's!!! Don't knock it until you try it!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well G Man I think our riding conditions and priorities are just vastly different (took a peek at your rides also). Speed is about the last priority on my list and I've never done a lift assisted ride. Getting through, up and over trails absolutely littered with rocks and roots is where I live and enjoy. I'm all to familiar with the ratcheting pedals and that only goes so far and unless your a trials rider you could ratchet away all you want and you'll still be smacking pedals and bash through many of our trails. I also use a 72 POI hub to help with those situations but really a higher BB is very helpful. I know most who live here would agree. It's just a brutal place on bikes and dirtbikes (30+ years).

Actually the newly redesigned Spitfire (with 650B wheels) with the KS link and flip chips has caught my eye as well. Here's the geometry table. Check out the BB heights

650B wheels
    Size S M L XL
    Seat tube 395mm (15.5″) 430mm (16.9″) 470mm (18.5″) 508mm (20.0″)
    Top Tube 570mm (22.4″) 590mm (23.2″) 615mm (24.2″) 640mm (25.2″)
    Wheel Base 1144mm (45.0″) 1164mm (45.8″) 1189mm (46.8″) 1214mm (47.8″)
    Head Angle Slack 66.0 / Neutral 66.5 / Steep 67.0
    Effective Seat Angle Slack 73.5 / Neutral 74.0 / Steep 74.5
    Seat Post angle Low 71.5 / Neutral 72.0 / High 72.5
    BB Height Low 340mm (13.4″) / Neutral 346mm (13.65″) / High 352mm (13.9″)
    Chainstay Low 441mm (17.4″) / Neutral 439mm (17.3″) / High 437mm (17.2″)

mtbr member
    Yup, that's on my short list too and you have to love the adjustable BB height! The only thing I don't like are the long chainstays. I may just wait a year to see how it all plays out (and hoping for a carbon version too!).

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!