mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Shinobi shout out and love in

howdy eh.

just came back from one of my better rides in this improving weather we're finally getting in the PNW, and i just have to say it- goddamn i love my Shinobi! it's a real ass kicker of a mtn bike and it so shines on a big long rough mtn ride of mixed single track and fire road climbs. i bought this bike in February of this year, in the middle of our sloppy wet winter and have rode the proverbial **** out of it. more and faster all the time. i've toyed with a couple diff bar set ups, and played with tires (always prefer the biggest i can put on it) depending on who i'm riding with, and i have a KS dropper post that i just love. it's so stiff compared to my old (but still excellent) first gen Stumpy 29er. bloody stiff rear end, just the right amount of travel. the long cockpit and slack geo are incredibly confidence inspiring, really begs you to push it. yes yes, i wish the bike was much lighter, i'd love to afford the top flight, all XTR carbon slathered dream machine (the Tallboy LTC xtr has me sinfully coveting something awful...) but only so i could try and keep up with the racy set that i sometimes ride with, but the other 80% of the time i could care less. i love when people ask about the rear tire clearance. clearance? you could put on a 3.5 if they existed, the clearance is infinite. the bike is killer in brutal weather conditions, it clears mud and debris no problem. ok, is it the top contender on tight twisty tech climbs, not really, but it's not bad either, as long as there's room on the trail to maneuver. i'm 6'5" riding a huge xl, so these ain't my fav places to be anyways, but the bike does well when you take the right line. it's stiffness makes it a great climber, despite the heft.

all in all a remarkable bike, capable of being a comfortable light trail bike, a ripping race bike in the right build for the sport classes, and a highly capable all round descender if you've got the stones and the skills to go as fast as it will let you. they just nailed it with this machine, from the geo, the ride, the looks (it always get's long glances from other riders at the trailhead) and the name. freaking lovin on the Shinobi, just gotta say it!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm eyeing a XL Shinobi and am just a touch taller than you at 6'6" (235lbs) how do you fit the fit of the bike? Have you raced with it at all?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    fits me very well. mine is the first version, the geo looks a bit different and i think a tad shorter on the new one. i don't know why they bothered changing it. there is another guy in my area who is 6'7" and rides the same one as mine and he loves it, and rides it as if he were much a much smaller rider. i can't keep up with him. i've raced it once, but realize it's a 32 pound bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I know someone who got a warranty replacement on the frame and feels the new 2013 does not fit him like the 2012 did and is therefore selling. I am looking at the possibility of buying it but live a few hours away. I can't imagine why they changed the geometry when it sounds like they had a good thing going. As for weight I have raced many time on my 17 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer Race and while I have never weighed it I can't imagine that it is a lightweight either. My internal debate is whether to go Rocky Mountain Element 29er new with warranty or a used Shinobi or perhaps even the new Norco Revolver which I have heard good things about too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    looking at the Shinobi 3 29er
    I'am 5-11" ~ 200lbs, want around 24" from handlebar to middle of seat.
    thinking the L large will do. Do you think it's the right size ?
    have a Giant Reign, Medium, and that one , was to short, compared to specialized stumpjumper I switched. had to get off-set seatpost and longer stem.
    How long does it take , from order, to delivery ? How long did you have to wait ?
    Do I need loctide on the bolts? How does the Frame hold up ?
    Want a solid Frame.
    Since I've been riding the Giant Reign, the Giant Trance is actually my first pick.
    Really wanted the 650B Sight killer, but everybody is riding 29er. Gotta go with the flow. Am I picking the right bike? Shinobi 3 29er
    thanks, Rob

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I have a 2011 that I've been riding since November '11 and I haven't had any issues with pivot bolts losening. The frame see a lot of use/abuse too--it is my only all mountain bike and I ride it 75% of the time. I'm also 5' 11" and bought the medium. It seems longer than other company's medium bikes, but you would need to look at the specs yourself and decide what would fit best. I like the stand over clearance of my bike, and I'm using a 50mm stem/straight post so I definitely didn't need to go longer on either to get the right feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks !
    went with the L . ~2 weeks , will see.
    about 1/4 longer wheelbase, than what I have now.
    currently have 23.5" toptube length, with offset seatpost and 100mm stem.
    think the large be fine.
    the 2x10 cranks is funky, have to see, what bashring fits.
    also want to run some 2.4 tires .
    any clearance issues in the rear ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the new Shinobi frame is diff than the original (2011/12). not sure why they changed it, i do know the new one is a bit smaller. i have the original and the clearance is massive, huge, no tire is big enough to fill the space, maybe a Surly 3.5 fat bike tire or something.