Thread: Norco Six

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Norco Six

Hi all,

Understand that Norco Six is been categorized as All-Mountain/FreeRide-Light bike. Is it true, with some upgraded spec & setting, this bike can go to fully freeride bike and can take a big drop also ?
    Is Norco Six09 and Norco Shore09 share a same frame ?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Hi - I have a 2007 Norco Six that now has a 7" Manitou Triple Crown up front and a coil Manitou rear end and DH tires all around. At 40lbs its not light but it sure can take a beating on the downhill.

see here - I am the guy filming

More Shoreplay from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

I'm not sure about the second question
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been wondering the same, been eyeing the six three lately. Don't feel like spending 3K+ on a customer build and thought this bike would be a good platform to start with. Only other bike that might compare is the Devinci Ollie but I don't think its as versatile.

Shore's frames are probably a bit more beefed up, one difference you can visually see is the head tube, take a closer look at the Six and Shores (welds).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Me(yellow shirt) & Norco together with DH friends

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The frame is ridiculously strong and built for being considered a "light freeride" bike. I have a 2006 and it holds up under my 220 lb arse! My build survived 3 days at Whistler without any broken parts. I've since ditched the I-beam seat and post which was the weak link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any more thoughts? I might pick up an 08 Norco Six three soon and want to know if I can do downhill with it..ie double blacks at mammoth

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    my six 3 '08 stock, survived 4+ feet drop to flat ( i think any bike can do), survived in local DH track, but can't go as fast as DH bike on the DH track,, stock tyre 2.35" + alex rim 24 is small and can't take rock garden hard (upgrade needed),, brake avid juicy 3 is powerless for DH (upgrade needed) and off course avid3 is designed for AM purpose.. i guess, need a wider handle bar,, need to fix chain guide (just like six one),, change grip,, then can ride hard.. other than that, i think this bike is awesome and still light..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I use my 08 six pretty hard as a light freeride bike. It's regularly taken off 6ft drops, through rough rock gardens and loves every minute of it. By comparison, I had a 06 Enduro with the same componentry (Frame swap to the Six) and it wasn't any where near as good at handling the same tracks. I run 06 Marz 66 SL's with a DHX 5 coil, and EX 5.1D rims and hope hubs. The rims are the weak link and my rear rim is getting hammered, going to upgrade to either Mavic 729's (I think it is) or some Da Bomb wheels. It weighs in at 17.2kg.

As far as DH'ing with it, I don't know... I think the 6" rear end will slow it down compared to the longer travel dedicated DH frames. It'd certainly handle it as far as strength goes, but it won't be as fast.

g3h6o3
    Resurecting the thread...

I've got a '06 Norco Six One (see daway's pic above) that I bought in small size. It felt good in the parking lot and the first season but the more I ride it, the more I wish I had a medium. I feel cramped on the bike, had to swap the stem to a 90mm to stop banging my knees, etc.

I really love the feeling of the bike, the activeness of the horst link, the burliness of the frame, etc. Apart from the size, this bike is amazing...

So I'm trying to find a replacement frame with a longer top tube and I'd like to get something that rides "just like" the Six. Yesterday I tried an Xprezo SuperD and I seriously didn't like it much. I'm not sure exactly what didn't feel right but I didn't have the plushness of the Six, the floating effect over rough stuff was inexistent, I couldn't "dance" on the bike as it was hard to flick around, etc.

So I'm wondering if people who rode the Six have tried other bikes which felt similar. Any suggestion welcome.

Thx

P.S. Looking for a frame only as I upgraded pretty much everything on the Six.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.