Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Norco Sight Frame Issues?

So I was well on my way on ordering a 2015 carbon frame when I talked to my LBS and they mentioned the recent issues with Norco frames. The 2014 Range is in full blown recall mode and is stated on Norco's website. My LBS said 3 out of the 5 carbon Sights they have sold have cracked in the front triangle. Needless to say I postponed my order and now I am wondering if anyone has had these issues. I currently have the first series of sight killer b frames and I have not had any issues. I am a little perplex on what happened. Any feedback is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i just went on there and read the recall. something about potential bottom bracket cracking when using a chain guide. At least they are replacing the frames. i haven't heard of any complaints about the sights though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The owner of a well known bike shop that gets recommended on here often told me he has had tons of problems with Sights. He claims even the alloys gave problems, to the point where he was thinking of dropping them from his line.

I still bought an alloy, though. I figured it was worth taking a chance on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    The owner of a well known bike shop that gets recommended on here often told me he has had tons of problems with Sights. He claims even the alloys gave problems, to the point where he was thinking of dropping them from his line.

I still bought an alloy, though. I figured it was worth taking a chance on.
    sloppy build issues, like loose nuts and bolts, or actual frame failures?

mtbr member

Cracked seat tube, FD mount, and top tube.

I would think if this is happening regularly there would be more complaints?

mtbr member

Alum models seeing failures on the rear ends. There's a picture on Norco's twitter or Facebook page of a guy's Fluid that broke on the seat stay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i've ridden and beat the ever loving shite out of my Carbon Sight 7.2... will be sure to inspect it closely - but this is really first i've heard of any concerns w the Sight...

my LBS has sold quite a few of these - and has some team riders on em - since I have a new springy bit on order - I will ask if he's seen or heard anything to be concerned with as well.

again - I believe at this point it's likely not an issue - but will be diligent and rational to look into it from my bike's perspective

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    i've ridden and beat the ever loving shite out of my Carbon Sight 7.2... will be sure to inspect it closely - but this is really first i've heard of any concerns w the Sight...

my LBS has sold quite a few of these - and has some team riders on em - since I have a new springy bit on order - I will ask if he's seen or heard anything to be concerned with as well.

again - I believe at this point it's likely not an issue - but will be diligent and rational to look into it from my bike's perspective

Hey Kamper, curious how much you weigh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    full gear - approx 175 lb - so i guess about an avg rider weight

mtbr member

HA HA. 215 all geared up here

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Zero issues on my 7.1 carbon and it's even been thrashed at the local bike park a few times. Only thing that is a very small concern of mine is from a small low speed crash I took on a climb and I fell on a rock which left two small gouges on the carbon downtube. Local shop said it was a non issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a 2014 Norco Sight carbon and the seat stay cracked last week, I've only had it for about four months. I have contacted the shop I bought it from and they are working with Norco on getting me a new frame, but I don't know how long this will take.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    sloppy build issues, like loose nuts and bolts, or actual frame failures?
    Frame failures. He said they were getting a lot of cracked frames. He didn't mention where the bikes were cracking, but that it was enough for him to consider dropping them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would like to see a picture of a cracked carbon Sight. Not sure if you'll find one. J

mtbr member

LBS sold 5 and three have cracked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I would like to see a picture of a cracked carbon Sight. Not sure if you'll find one. J
    the guy two posts above yours said his cracked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Seat stay carbon insert is cracked and my seat post moves freely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpg  

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Seems to me that it could've been human error. How much was it over tightened?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If it was over tightened I think it would crack in a linear fashion from top to bottom from the clamp down into the seat stay and not the circumference of the base. Also I use a torque wrench and the manufactures guidelines (~5nm).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's sucks man. I wonder if it has something to do with something with the early shipments vs some of the later deliveries. When did you get yours? I preordered mine sometime in November and it didn't show up at the shop until first week of May because it was stuck in port during the truckers strike in BC. Another weird this was I ordered the 7.1 5 and the 7.1 showed up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I got mine in April of this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am in the final stages of narrowing down my new bike options and really wanted the sight. I don't have a dealer around my parts so I called a reputable dealer on the east coast further north and they said that they did send all of the their sights back for frame issues. He said they number was outrageously high like 50% fail rate. Anyone out west here of this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Cracked chain stay

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-017.jpg I took a bad spill and cracked my chain stay It was not covered under the warranty and it cost me more than $300 to replace and that was just for the part labor was extra. They said they don't cover crash replacements. The new one had no graphics on it just the blue on top. I'm hoping this is not a bad sign of things to come, the bike is about one month old. I'm disappointed especially when someone I know with a different manufacture had a similar break and it was covered 100%.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I broke the rear end on my Yeti SB 95C on impact as well. It was $600.00. Carbon, in my opinion, is a bad choice for mountain rear ends. At least the Norco has the aluminum chainstay. Aluminum rear ends are just cheaper to replace. No matter which bike you have, you are going to have to replace a rear end once in a while. I would just rather pay $250.00 instead of $600.00. J

mtbr member

Izzy, how long did it take to replace the part

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It took under two weeks to get the part in. I purchased a torque wrench and did the install myself. I'm still healing from a fractured clavicle so I won't be riding till at least the end of Sept. But the bike is ready to go....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy063 View Post
    It took under two weeks to get the part in. I purchased a torque wrench and did the install myself. I'm still healing from a fractured clavicle so I won't be riding till at least the end of Sept. But the bike is ready to go....
    That's actually not bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sucks on the crash damage, but i don't think anyone has crash replacement. some like devinci offer discounted frame replacement due to crash though.
    the other cracks were disturbing. it would be interesting to hear if they were early deliveries or the recently shipped ones, and if there is any indication that any manufacturing defects were remedied in the 15 model. maybe there will be a frame recall if this keeps happening.

mtbr member
    This is the first that I have heard of any issues with the Sight. I have a 2013 alloy that I have ridden for a year with no issues. I do know of one local rider who's carbon Range frame cracked. I'm interested to see if it is only 2014 models, or it goes back to the 2013's as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As a Sight carbon owner and reading this thread,,,, it put a lump in my throat as I was hoping it wasn't going to be a repeat of the Range situation. I just got of the phone with the owner of my LBS where I purchased my bike. He has claimed minimal issues in the sales of 2014 sights. He disclosed selling approx. 100 sights this year and has had three with issues one been a crack by the front derailleur been the worst, and was quickly replaced by Norco. So not sure why such a discrepancy from different bike shops but for now I'm a bit relieved after the conversation I just had. He did say for piece of mind they will do a tear down for my winter prep and inspect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ICSG05 tab, around bottom bracket, broken on an impact. i use the MRP chain guide 2X, witch has a plastic piece, and the plastic broke-off on impact. evenknow the plastic broke-off, the tab broke off the frame. the tab is not part of the BB.....which is too weak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if Im reading this correctly - you are stating that the tab is too weak. Or the BB overall? Just curious as I've had some horrendous rock strikes (well - im my mind) where I've stopped and looked things over down below - so far so good - but I've never used chain guide on the tab as well... thanks in advance and sorry for your issue for sure - has it been handled well via warranty?

mtbr member

I have a buddy at interbike and he's going to try and get the low down. I'll update when I hear something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    one thing i notice, twice so far, i have to re-torque rear suspension screws during a ride.. i will be taking all screws out and re-locktit them. to me sounds like Norco did not have a good quality control on the assembly as well as the assembly itself.

mtbr member

So my buddy talked to Norco and he only asked about the Range. Norco assured him that they rectified the issues with the range and it wasn't a structural issue just the icg tabs.

Hattori Hanzō
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy063 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	5296 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	921546 I took a bad spill and cracked my chain stay It was not covered under the warranty and it cost me more than $300 to replace and that was just for the part labor was extra. They said they don't cover crash replacements. The new one had no graphics on it just the blue on top. I'm hoping this is not a bad sign of things to come, the bike is about one month old. I'm disappointed especially when someone I know with a different manufacture had a similar break and it was covered 100%.
    Izzy063 -The owner of the shop I work at cracked his 2014 sight in the same spot. It was a tip over in a rock garden not even a crash. I was surprised that such a low speed tip over could crack it so easily. His replacement also came with no graphics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nissmo127 View Post
    Izzy063 -The owner of the shop I work at cracked his 2014 sight in the same spot. It was a tip over in a rock garden not even a crash. I was surprised that such a low speed tip over could crack it so easily. His replacement also came with no graphics.
    I haven't been able to ride since my fall still recovering I got four more weeks but the bike is back together and I'm def going to put it to the test. I've heard from other manufactures that carbon is super strong where its meant to be strong on the vertical stuff but weaker "to safe weight" on the lateral stuff like the seat stay. That's one reason some of the manufactures have stayed with aluminum on the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Mid way through a long ride and a looong walk back to the car, but I digress...
    Norco Sight 7.2 2014 Aluminium Seat stay broke.
    In the hands of the LBS and Norco Aus are in talks with Norco Canada as to whether it's possible to get a replacement.

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-7v7hks.jpg

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-mrgmkd.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    oh, that sucks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a 2013 alloy sight killer B, and have had constant issues with the rear pivot bolts remaining tight. even with locktight they seem to come loose and need checking on every ride, I have replaced the bearing which has helped but I still have issues with the no drive side inner bolt.

I also also snapped a seat stay, in exactly the same place as Hindsight, the 2013 does not have internal cable routing, it snapped from weld on the cable mount and went right through. They replaced the stay under warranty - about 6 weeks to sort, but the rear triangle is now under tension. when you take the through axle out the stays move apart by about 1/2 inch, which makes lining the though axle up awkward.

I have heard of one other issues with the stays on a sights. My take on it is that norco created a frame /bike that feels like it can be ridden like a 160 -170mm travel enduro bike. You can go into rock and root way to quick and it's easy to forget you are on a 140mm trail bike. Which is no bad thing, but is likely to increase fatigue on the frame especially the rear triangle. Compounding the problem is the fox ctd, and active horst link. which are fine if you are a sub 190- 200 lb rider, but once over that weight (i'm 220 lbs with gear) is either run at very high 230-250+ psi and feels way to harsh, or below this and you bottom out every ride. I had my shock push tuned which was better but not great. It feel right now but that is after shelling out for a cane creek dbair cs.

still love the bike, and have thought about moving to the range, but would like to see how the frame issues on that model get sorted out first.
    Last edited by will958xl; 10-13-2014 at 02:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've come to the conclusion that when I get this fixed, I'm going to leave it to xc duties and buy a proper dh bike for jumps and harder downhill trails instead of flogging the 140mm bike. I'd say I've found it's limit of range of operation now. Been a week and no reply as to whether there's a replacement stay available so migh have to bight the bullet and send it to Gripsport for repair.
    Photo albums | GripSport

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    the UK sales and distribution are one of the same, but it still took 2 weeks to get a reply to the claim from norco canada, then another 4 weeks to the part to be shipped and fitted. right in the middle of our summer, a bit gutting, so I feel for your wait. my snap was on a trail, it's a very rocky harsh trail, but i'd ridden it 20 times before, no problems, there were no jumps involved. the 150mm pike fork and cane creek have increased the range of the bike's ability, but i've come round to the idea that the next bike will be 160mm + rear travel. don't think I could go the full DH, as couldn't justify the cost against use. hope it gets sorted soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by will958xl View Post
    I have a 2013 alloy sight killer B, and have had constant issues with the rear pivot bolts remaining tight. even with locktight they seem to come loose and need checking on every ride, I have replaced the bearing which has helped but I still have issues with the no drive side inner bolt.

I also also snapped a seat stay, in exactly the same place as Hindsight, the 2013 does not have internal cable routing, it snapped from weld on the cable mount and went right through. They replaced the stay under warranty - about 6 weeks to sort, but the rear triangle is now under tension. when you take the through axle out the stays move apart by about 1/2 inch, which makes lining the though axle up awkward.

I have heard of one other issues with the stays on a sights. My take on it is that norco created a frame /bike that feels like it can be ridden like a 160 -170mm travel enduro bike. You can go into rock and root way to quick and it's easy to forget you are on a 140mm trail bike. Which is no bad thing, but is likely to increase fatigue on the frame especially the rear triangle. Compounding the problem is the fox ctd, and active horst link. which are fine if you are a sub 190- 200 lb rider, but once over that weight (i'm 220 lbs with gear) is either run at very high 230-250+ psi and feels way to harsh, or below this and you bottom out every ride. I had my shock push tuned which was better but not great. It feel right now but that is after shelling out for a cane creek dbair cs.

still love the bike, and have thought about moving to the range, but would like to see how the frame issues on that model get sorted out first.
    ^^ Well said, and I have to agree.

Although there have been some legit flaws on the odd sight, this will be the case with (any) manufacture. As stated above, the sight is such a confidence inspiring bike, which is been compounded by a very nice suspension upgrade many are doing,(CC Inline/Pike) that I believe the bike in some cases is been asked to do to much for a 140mm bike.

I just wanted to give my positive comments with my experience over the last five months, and state that I have road a particular trial (Half Nelson) well over a hundred times on the sight. It's fast and flowy and has many small jumps,(under three feet) all the way down which I hit them all. In my case nothing has come loose, or cracked, or is creaking. My bike so far has been just awesome.

I'm a small guy,(155lbs) all geared up, so I'm sure that has helped vs 200+lbs riders. But IMO the larger more aggressive riders should be riding the Range now that their issues have been resolved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    ^^ Well said, and I have to agree.

Although there have been some legit flaws on the odd sight, this will be the case with (any) manufacture. As stated above, the sight is such a confidence inspiring bike, which is been compounded by a very nice suspension upgrade many are doing,(CC Inline/Pike) that I believe the bike in some cases is been asked to do to much for a 140mm bike.

I just wanted to give my positive comments with my experience over the last five months, and state that I have road a particular trial (Half Nelson) well over a hundred times on the sight. It's fast and flowy and has many small jumps,(under three feet) all the way down which I hit them all. In my case nothing has come loose, or cracked, or is creaking. My bike so far has been just awesome.

I'm a small guy,(155lbs) all geared up, so I'm sure that has helped vs 200+lbs riders. But IMO the larger more aggressive riders should be riding the Range now that their issues have been resolved.
    This

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just noticed a crack on my 2013 Sight, same place as others have mentioned on the drive-side seat stay at the weld just ahead of the rear axle...Norco is replacing the seat stay under warranty, LBS says it'll be here in a week or so which is great turn-around. I haven't ridden this bike since October so no idea when the crack happened, I only found it because I was talking to another buddy about his cracked frame and decided to give mine a once-over to check...glad I did.

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-2015-01-24-07.15.51.jpg
    Last edited by tdotrider; 01-26-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Exact same situation here

Quote Originally Posted by HiNdSiGhT View Post
    Mid way through a long ride and a looong walk back to the car, but I digress...
    Norco Sight 7.2 2014 Aluminium Seat stay broke.
    In the hands of the LBS and Norco Aus are in talks with Norco Canada as to whether it's possible to get a replacement.

Name:	7v7HkS.jpg 
Views:	2158 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	930356

Name:	MrgmKD.jpg 
Views:	1824 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	930357
    My 2013 Norco Sight Alu 27.5 broke in the exact same spot on Monday. No crash.

It was replaced quickly but I've had a rash of problems with this bike in the past 6 months (it just turned 2). A rear pivot bolt blew out, x-fusion post failed, dinky chain guide broke off twice, brake lever and housing failed. Oh did I mention the sunringle wheels seem to be flat magnets?

I love Norco and I love the way this bike rides but the reliability issues leave something to be desired.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is all a bit concerning as the Sight is on my short list for a new bike. I'm about 200 lb geared up, don't ride super aggressively but I'm looking to up that a little with a more capable bike (current ride is a hard tail 29er w/80mm fork but I've ridden that at Downieville and similar trails in NorCal)

Here's the question: how hard were you guys charging when the cracks happened?

I doubt very much I'll ever be out-riding the Sight's capabilities, so should I still be concerned about these failures? And anyone heard anything from Norco or personally about issues on the 2015 frames? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post
    This is all a bit concerning as the Sight is on my short list for a new bike. I'm about 200 lb geared up, don't ride super aggressively but I'm looking to up that a little with a more capable bike (current ride is a hard tail 29er w/80mm fork but I've ridden that at Downieville and similar trails in NorCal)

I doubt very much I'll ever be out-riding the Sight's capabilities, so should I still be concerned about these failures? And anyone heard anything from Norco or personally about issues on the 2015 frames? Thanks.
    Honestly, I hate seeing all these frame issues too. I got a 2014 Carbon 7.1 Sight and I have absolutely shredded the piss out of this thing and haven't any issues besides some rock damage from a fall I had on some sharp rocks. Seems to be holding up fine. It wasn't a puncture, just a small section when a layer of carbon got damaged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

You may doubt that you'll push the Sight, but that's just it. The Sight begs to be pushed to its limits. She'll taunt you. She's a little **** that begs to be ridden harder and harder. You will eventually succumb. Resistance is futile.

I love my Sight. Luckily I'm a lightweight, so I still haven't broken her. ....But I keep trying!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    You may doubt that you'll push the Sight, but that's just it. The Sight begs to be pushed to its limits. She'll taunt you. She's a little **** that begs to be ridden harder and harder. You will eventually succumb. Resistance is futile.

I love my Sight. Luckily I'm a lightweight, so I still haven't broken her. ....But I keep trying!!
    That's exactly what I'm looking for in my next bike.

And thinking on the issues mentioned in this thread — with all due respect and sympathy to those of you who have cracked frames — it doesn't sound like a huge percentage of Sight owners.

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    So I was well on my way on ordering a 2015 carbon frame when I talked to my LBS and they mentioned the recent issues with Norco frames. The 2014 Range is in full blown recall mode and is stated on Norco's website. My LBS said 3 out of the 5 carbon Sights they have sold have cracked in the front triangle. Needless to say I postponed my order and now I am wondering if anyone has had these issues. I currently have the first series of sight killer b frames and I have not had any issues. I am a little perplex on what happened. Any feedback is appreciated.
    I only saw a recall for the range not the sight? I have ridden my for months in Pisgah and weigh 210 without any problems yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wanted to chime in here although it's an old thread.

I have a 2014 Sight LE carbon and weigh 215+ all geared and ride super aggressively. Absolutely adore the bike and have smashed it all over the stuff like Hazard/Porcupine in Moab, Elden Mountain in Flagstaff, Fruita, Sedona, etc. I have had an issue with the bolts all coming loose on rides occasionally, especially in the rear triangle, as have some others, but otherwise it has been good to me.

I just noticed one issue that I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced. In the pivot near the bearings that connect my seat stay to my chain stay near the thru axle - the aluminum chain stay is actually rubbing into the carbon seat stay and has created a small groove in it (only on the left side) whereas the other side there is space between the two so it doesn't rub. The bearings are fine so it is not bearing play causing the issue. I actually think it is a small manufacturing defect. I can post a picture later, but wanted to know if anyone had noticed anything similar? It was just an off chance that i noticed while doing a routine bearing check...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Same thing with the rear triangle on my 2014 7.1 carbon. Most often it is the largest bolt coming loose, the one behind the chainring. I'll have to check out the seat stay about that other issue who've noticed when I get home. We're currently on our way home from Brevard NC. I highly recommend a trip there for anyone who's been thinking about riding there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr42881 View Post
    Same thing with the rear triangle on my 2014 7.1 carbon. Most often it is the largest bolt coming loose, the one behind the chainring. I'll have to check out the seat stay about that other issue who've noticed when I get home. We're currently on our way home from Brevard NC. I highly recommend a trip there for anyone who's been thinking about riding there.
    Let me know. I went into a shop today and they said they had never seen the issue before. I am hoping Norco will send me a new rear triangle when I get back home from Moab.

The pics attached show what I assume to be a defect. The first pic is how the chain stay and seat stay connection should look, the second is how it does look where the chain stay is rubbing into the seat stay.

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-good-side.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-defect.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-defect2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Kind of hard to tell from the pics but is there a gap between the seat stay and chain stay? In other words is it only rubbing when the suspension is fully extended?

I just bought a new 7.2 C, four rides in, loving it, but kind of freaking out about all these issues that keep coming up. After seeing your pics I checked mine — no sign of rubbing, but then again it's practically brand new.

FWIW I've checked all the suss hardware too and everything is snug.

Please post back when you hear back from LBS/Norco about this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a question not related to frame issues: looking at Norco's website, they list the handlebar on the 7.2 as a Raceface Turbine 760mm with 12 mm rise. I checked Raceface's website and the specs don't match up. Could it be a custom OE bar just for complete bikes?

Reason I ask is b/c I think I want a little more rise. Which leads me to my next (possibly stupid) question: how do you measure the rise? from center to center diameter-wise and from the clamp area to the bar end?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just checked my Sight LE and it looks okay. Something definitely seems out of spec with your rear triangle and Norco should replace it.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ex View Post
    I just checked my Sight LE and it looks okay. Something definitely seems out of spec with your rear triangle and Norco should replace it.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Kind of hard to tell from the pics but is there a gap between the seat stay and chain stay? In other words is it only rubbing when the suspension is fully extended?

I just bought a new 7.2 C, four rides in, loving it, but kind of freaking out about all these issues that keep coming up. After seeing your pics I checked mine — no sign of rubbing, but then again it's practically brand new.

FWIW I've checked all the suss hardware too and everything is snug.

Please post back when you hear back from LBS/Norco about this.
    Thanks for checking guys.

A gap comes when I compress the shock. It only rubs when it is fully extended. I will let you guys know how it all turns out.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    I went and checked my C7.4 and the gaps are present and normal. No rubbing issues. A couple suspension bolts were a little loose but I've ridden this thing hard and a lot since I got it in March so I'd expect them to need a little tightening. Nothing more than 1 full turn at worst.

Definitely contact your dealer or Norco. It's not right. Thank you for documenting this so others can keep an eye out for the problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    approx 2000 miles on my 14 7.2c. Its been ridden hard, down a number of times and numerous brushes w trail obstacles - all looking good. no issues at all. Good luck w dealer and Norco - seems something is off on your rear triangle a bit for sure. good news is it seems likely to be an anomaly - but sorry it happened on your watch!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Have had my 2015 Sight 7.1 Carbon since Apr. 10, 2015. I love everything about the bike. Unfortunately, I sustained damage to my downtube, not clear how it happened, maybe a rock flew up with a frame crack that worsened with a subsequent ride, no crashes, but lots of bumps, roots, rocks and small air. In any event, I am waiting for a reply from my lbs and Norco about a front triangle. Can't ride it while I wait. I will post the outcome.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by batchawana View Post
    Have had my 2015 Sight 7.1 Carbon since Apr. 10, 2015. I love everything about the bike. Unfortunately, I sustained damage to my downtube, not clear how it happened, maybe a rock flew up with a frame crack that worsened with a subsequent ride, no crashes, but lots of bumps, roots, rocks and small air. In any event, I am waiting for a reply from my lbs and Norco about a front triangle. Can't ride it while I wait. I will post the outcome.
    How about posting a pic???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Bonking ... not feelin' well 2015 Norco Sight Downtube damage

[QUOTE=DDDonny;12002513]How about posting a pic???

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-img_0046%5B1%5D.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-img_0035%5B1%5D.jpg

CAMBr Trail Crew
    I hope everything works out for you, especially since I have the same bike! Please keep us posted...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm no carbon expert - but is the cracking that visible just in the paint and most external layer of the layup? can you tell if the carbon fiber is actually cracking under?

I only ask as I've hit rocks, crashed, had rocks fly up and hit my bike and no such damage - by I also have one of the non-painted carbon's from 14 so it's real easy to look for any potential "damage" to the actual carbon

just asking and will be curious to see what happens - truly best of luck and I'm hoping you'll be able to ride SOON!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Lbs said to ride it. The cracks at right angles to the linear crack lifted after the first ride on some rocky stuff east of Lake Superior. I'm afraid to ride it now as to not worsen the repair. Just waiting game at this point. Pics sent to the Norco secret warranty department on Mon. June 1st. Only the lbs has the secret code and can contact them. Talked to Frank at Spyder Composites in Calif. He crashed his Bronson on the 3rd ride and Santa Cruz had a rear triangle at his shop the next day. I still love the sight and hope to be able to report good news sooner rather than later. Hope Norco also feels that I shouldn't have a cracked frame in less than 2 mos. without a crash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Talked to my lbs. Stated that Norco is going to replace the front triangle, taking apart a bike to get it. Should know if the orange color is available this Mon. afternoon. Lbs has been on top of it, which I appreciate. I offered to pay for expedited shipping to hopefully keep the down time to a couple of weeks. Can't wait to get back on my sight. Will post the outcome.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    That's good to hear, and I hope the turn-around time is quick to get you back on the bike...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just got a 2015 7.2 Carbon Sight about two months ago. Really enjoying this bike. I've gotten some good rides in so far and have had plenty of rocks flying up hitting the frame. No damage so far, knock on wood. I did buy some helicopter tape though and I'll be putting that on soon for a little extra peace of mind. I know it's not going to ward off major stuff, but anything helps.

batchawana I hope Norco/LBS gets you sorted out quickly. Having your new bike out of commission is a drag.

According to my LBS, Norco's production runs are tight and if they sell out quicker than expected they don't typically do another one. If they're taking apart a bike to get you set up, sounds like that is really tight — no spare fronts or rears hanging around for replacements!

Good luck with everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I too have considered putting clear 3M film on the downtube. The Magic Mary tire does throw up some shit, great tire though. Hopefully this was an unfortunate one time only event. Have to say that if all goes as hoped for that Norco has stepped up because in a strict sense this incident could be excluded as accidental and not covered. I will give an update when available. Thanks, you're right it's a ***** not to have that fast and fun sight to ride, the norco bling was even nice at the trail head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    These are VERY expensive bikes and I would assume they stock frames/parts for inevitable warranty claims outside of normal retail/commercial production. Shouldn't have to do anything additional to protect this frame. Not remotely suggesting it's even necessary and also not suggesting I have a clue as to whether or not Norco intends on the stocking frames/parts to support warranty (can't imagine they wouldn't). If they don't there are many alternatives (former Yeti guy with Sight).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    By alternative you mean buying a different bike from a different company? I guess that's an alternative, but like you said, these are expensive bikes. If I end up with a damaged frame, that's about the last option for me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Expensive for certain because you would be buying another frame to ride while waiting on a replacement to then sell. A sort of scorched earth scenario.

mtbr member
    Good luck Batchawana and please keep us posted.

As an aside, I grew up in SSM and spent a good part of my summers at my parents' cottage near Chippewa River. Very fond memories.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey,
    My cottage is half way between the Chippewa and Batchawana Rivers. Spend as much time there as possible.
    Latest update from lbs. Norco has sent a 7.2 black bike to Toronto to come up with a black frame. Was told that there will not be 7.1 C orange frame available period. Lbs went to bat for me as much as possible, but I don't want to give up my 7.1 color so I am sending the bike to Frank Morelli at Spdyer Composites in Campbell California for repair at my expense. I wish there had been better communication regarding the process, particularly from Norco, it took too long to find out that the 7.1 bikes and frames are oversold and unavailable. Hopefully the RT to Calif. and the repair won't take a very long time and will come out acceptable, flats are hard to blend. I cracked the bike down this afternoon and have the frjont triangle boxed and ready to send

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a 2014 C7.2 and love it (once I upgraded the fork). I've also notice some hardware coming loose as previously mentioned. I was just doing some maintenance to figure out a creaking sound and discovered a crack on the frame shock mount.

I weigh 175 geared up and ride fairly smoothly (so I've been told) but I am an aggressive rider. No big jumps or drops or park riding so I'm pretty shocked and disappointed that this has happened. I've yet to contact my LBS to see about warrantee coverage. I'll post an update once I know more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey,
    My cottage is half way between the Chippewa and Batchawana Rivers. Spend as much time there as possible.
    Latest update from lbs. Norco has sent a 7.2 black bike to Toronto to come up with a black frame. Was told that there will not be 7.1 C orange frame available period. Lbs went to bat for me as much as possible, but I don't want to give up my 7.1 color so I am sending the bike to Frank Morelli at Spdyer Composites in Campbell California for repair at my expense. I wish there had been better communication regarding the process, particularly from Norco, it took too long to find out that the 7.1 bikes and frames are oversold and unavailable. Hopefully the RT to Calif. and the repair won't take a very long time and will come out acceptable, flats are hard to blend. I cracked the bike down this afternoon and have the frjont triangle boxed and ready to send
    So you'll still be getting the black front triangle though? Not a terrible solution. Nice to have a "spare" front triangle!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    No such luck, lbs states that the 7.1c frame must be given up on trade, a whole black frame was available,not sure if it was a 2015. On the 2015 7.1 c the sdg saddle and the pike fork are color schemed the the frame. I didn't want to give it up, hence the front triangle is on its way to spyder composites. I do wish an orange front triangle was available, a happy camper I would have been. On a positive note, I love the sight, what a blast to ride. As far as the fragility of the frame, I'll leave that opinion to more qualified mtb'rs. Lots of carbon frames of all manufactures get busted. The repairs are said to be strong so I am hoping for the best.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    batchawana, please keep us posted and try to post pics after the repair is complete.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    will do DDdonny. Expect it to take at least a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    batchwana — so you never actually sent the frame off to Norco? I'm surprised and impressed that they signed off on a replacement without having the frame in their possession. On the flip side, it's a little unsettling b/c it kind of implies that this kind of damage isn't out of the ordinary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    No frame was sent. My lbs does quite a bit of Norco business and pushed really hard for a triangle, this option was not initially offered, in fact they initially said the triangle would be $1300 cad. classified as accidental. After back and forth negotiation by lbs the black bike was sent to Toronto for frame parting out, I didn't find out until after it was sent, I stated that that was not an option that I wanted to exercise. I just think that they were actually trying to step up, from their initial response, I don't think that they felt they owned the problem. In any event my separation anxiety about sending my front triangle off is easing. Just hope some disgruntled usps worker doesn't throw it off a truck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Hi there rckwng,
    Can you please post any photos of the "crack"? I have the same bike and also noticed the same thing.....
    Norco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpg

Aftet looking at it more thoroughly to be honest I beleive that it's a paint crack. I talked to bike store ai bought from and they told me that they have to check it and claim warranty fron Norco.
    The thing is that I now moved to my country and sending the bike back getting it checked and waiting fir their decision makes me thinking about it in the middle of summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Here are few pics of my downtube on my 2014 7.1 carbon. Norco and local bike shop said not to worry about it because it's on a part of the bike that's built more beefy. Bike has been like this for about a year and still looks the same. I ride this bike hard and aggressive. I do t shy away from jumps or drops under 4 feet and still no issues....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rckwng View Post
    I have a 2014 C7.2 and love it (once I upgraded the fork). I've also notice some hardware coming loose as previously mentioned. I was just doing some maintenance to figure out a creaking sound and discovered a crack on the frame shock mount.

I weigh 175 geared up and ride fairly smoothly (so I've been told) but I am an aggressive rider. No big jumps or drops or park riding so I'm pretty shocked and disappointed that this has happened. I've yet to contact my LBS to see about warrantee coverage. I'll post an update once I know more.
    Hi there,
    Due to the fact I might have the same problem can you please post some pics to check the crack?
    Cheers

anm
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mine has cracked in pretty much the same place, crack goes through at 90 degrees from one side to the other. Norco have said they will replace it, just waiting for the frame now.

anm
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Reference post number 5
    Mine has cracked in pretty much the same place, crack goes through at 90 degrees from one side to the other. Norco have said they will replace it, just waiting for the frame now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Received my front triangle back from Spyder Composites in time for the 4th weekend. Excellent workmanship with 2 weeks plus one day in his shop. 4" carbon repair with custom matte color matching and matte clear. $200 repair cost, a bargain. Frank Moir at Spyder was accessible and kept his commitments. Lbs states that Norco is going to reimburse me for the repair expense. I put it back together and am more happy than ever with the sight, great to be back on the saddle.Norco Sight Frame Issues?-img_0093.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-img_0046%5B1%5D.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight Frame Issues?-img_0033-5-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Received my front triangle back from Spyder Composites in time for the 4th weekend. Excellent workmanship with 2 weeks plus one day in his shop. 4" carbon repair with custom matte color matching and matte clear. $200 repair cost, a bargain. Frank Moir at Spyder was accessible and kept his commitments. Lbs states that Norco is going to reimburse me for the repair expense. I put it back together and am more happy than ever with the sight, great to be back on the saddle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	999911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0046[1].jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	999912
    That's great news all around — reasonable price, turnaround and CS from Norco. I did not expect Norco to kick down for a third-party solution.

On a related note I jacked up the down tube on my 7.2 C — on the bike rack! It looks pretty much just cosmetic — scratched off some of the green from the Norco logo as well as the base black so that I can see a whitish/blackish mix which I'm assuming is the carbon itself. It's not jagged at all and there's virtually no depth to it other than the layers of paint scraped off.

I gotta say it seemed like pretty harmless contact and in an area of the bike that should be designed for serious abuse. Again, it's just cosmetic and I don't really care, but a little surprised how easily the paint came off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I agree, great cs from Norco. Invisiframe.co.uk has a custom cut 3M paint protection film for the 2015 carbon sight, should work for the 14 model, it is available in matte and gloss. As far as racks go, I am using and really like the 1UP USA rack, no paint issues with that. Enjoy your sight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I agree, great cs from Norco. Invisiframe.co.uk has a custom cut 3M paint protection film for the 2015 carbon sight, should work for the 14 model, it is available in matte and gloss. As far as racks go, I am using and really like the 1UP USA rack, no paint issues with that. Enjoy your sight.
    After my gaff with the bike rack I slapped on some helicopter tape on the down tube. ***** of it is I bought it and had it BEFORE, but just hadn't gotten around to putting it on.

I'm sure the fit and finish of the Invisitape frame-specific kits is nicer than my hack job, but it also costs more than 4X as much. Yes, it covers much more of the bike but I'm all about quick and dirty kind of fixes. That's just me though.

In any case, I'm loving this bike.

mtbr member
    That's great news all around — reasonable price, turnaround and CS from Norco. I did not expect Norco to kick down for a third-party solution.

On a related note I jacked up the down tube on my 7.2 C — on the bike rack! It looks pretty much just cosmetic — scratched off some of the green from the Norco logo as well as the base black so that I can see a whitish/blackish mix which I'm assuming is the carbon itself. It's not jagged at all and there's virtually no depth to it other than the layers of paint scraped off.

I gotta say it seemed like pretty harmless contact and in an area of the bike that should be designed for serious abuse. Again, it's just cosmetic and I don't really care, but a little surprised how easily the paint came off.
    I have a 2015 C 7.2 also (matte black and green). It's THE worst paint job I have seen on a bike in my life. I think the dude who painted it was drunk or whacked on something. I offer that with the hope that it may make you feel a little better. I didn't even do anything to my bike and the paint is a disaster.

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-img_6693.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight Frame Issues?-img_6690.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have a 2015 C 7.2 also (matte black and green). It's THE worst paint job I have seen on a bike in my life. I think the dude who painted it was drunk or whacked on something. I offer that with the hope that it may make you feel a little better. I didn't even do anything to my bike and the paint is a disaster.
    Ha! Same drunk probably painted my bike too! At first I thought it was some kind of residue from stickers or something. No, just a terrible paint job. If that's the only thing wrong with the bike *knock on wood* then I don't care.

But it seems most of issues on this thread comes down to shoddy QC so we'll see. . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eragotte View Post
    Let me know. I went into a shop today and they said they had never seen the issue before. I am hoping Norco will send me a new rear triangle when I get back home from Moab.

The pics attached show what I assume to be a defect. The first pic is how the chain stay and seat stay connection should look, the second is how it does look where the chain stay is rubbing into the seat stay.

Name:	good side.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	991492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defect.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	991490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defect2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	991491
    For those who are curious about this, Norco sent me a brand new rear triangle in all black (no graphics like my original LE as expected).

I also got to keep my current rear triangle so I can keep riding that until it goes. Overall an excellent customer service experience with no complaints at all.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eragotte View Post
    For those who are curious about this, Norco sent me a brand new rear triangle in all black (no graphics like my original LE as expected).

I also got to keep my current rear triangle so I can keep riding that until it goes. Overall an excellent customer service experience with no complaints at all.

Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    sadly, I've just discovered my drive side, seat stay on my alloy 2013 sight killer b has cracked for the second time, I've not ridden the bike in a few months as I bought a 160mm bike for the more burly riding but seem to use the bigger bike for most rides. was about to sell the sight to a guy I know when I spotted the crack - no sale, gutted. took 7 weeks to get the first stay replaced by Norco / UK dealers , lets see how long this one takes. top picture happened in july 2014, Bottom one must have happened in may 2015 Norco Sight Frame Issues?-norco-cracked-stay-number-1.jpgNorco Sight Frame Issues?-norco-cracked-stay-number-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Very interesting thread guys, thanks for all the photos and info.
    I am based in Australia and ride with a large group all on Norcos 2014-2015 range, sight alloy and Carbon. Only one issue on the Range so far.
    Will be checking my 2014 C7.2 more thoroughly now. I don't jump very often, but give it a hard time all mountain with large rollovers and flying down descents ( not Downhill variety)
    Keep up the great posts and will keep you posted from the other side of the world

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh, one more thing
    They are awesome on the track, would not swap for anything

mtbr member
    May 2015
    just gone through all the old posts on this thread, of the 4 cracked drive side seat stays posted on here, all are painted the same color, and are 2013/14 bikes, coincidence or maybe a bad batch run? would be interesting to know what sizes frames the other two riders have? Norco build 2 size stays s/m and l/xl, my 2 were the l/xl stay. if they all were the l/xl stay this might add weight to this argument.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast