Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Norco Sight Frame Issues?

So I was well on my way on ordering a 2015 carbon frame when I talked to my LBS and they mentioned the recent issues with Norco frames. The 2014 Range is in full blown recall mode and is stated on Norco's website. My LBS said 3 out of the 5 carbon Sights they have sold have cracked in the front triangle. Needless to say I postponed my order and now I am wondering if anyone has had these issues. I currently have the first series of sight killer b frames and I have not had any issues. I am a little perplex on what happened. Any feedback is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i just went on there and read the recall. something about potential bottom bracket cracking when using a chain guide. At least they are replacing the frames. i haven't heard of any complaints about the sights though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The owner of a well known bike shop that gets recommended on here often told me he has had tons of problems with Sights. He claims even the alloys gave problems, to the point where he was thinking of dropping them from his line.

I still bought an alloy, though. I figured it was worth taking a chance on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    The owner of a well known bike shop that gets recommended on here often told me he has had tons of problems with Sights. He claims even the alloys gave problems, to the point where he was thinking of dropping them from his line.

I still bought an alloy, though. I figured it was worth taking a chance on.
    sloppy build issues, like loose nuts and bolts, or actual frame failures?

mtbr member

Cracked seat tube, FD mount, and top tube.

I would think if this is happening regularly there would be more complaints?

mtbr member

Alum models seeing failures on the rear ends. There's a picture on Norco's twitter or Facebook page of a guy's Fluid that broke on the seat stay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i've ridden and beat the ever loving shite out of my Carbon Sight 7.2... will be sure to inspect it closely - but this is really first i've heard of any concerns w the Sight...

my LBS has sold quite a few of these - and has some team riders on em - since I have a new springy bit on order - I will ask if he's seen or heard anything to be concerned with as well.

again - I believe at this point it's likely not an issue - but will be diligent and rational to look into it from my bike's perspective

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    i've ridden and beat the ever loving shite out of my Carbon Sight 7.2... will be sure to inspect it closely - but this is really first i've heard of any concerns w the Sight...

my LBS has sold quite a few of these - and has some team riders on em - since I have a new springy bit on order - I will ask if he's seen or heard anything to be concerned with as well.

again - I believe at this point it's likely not an issue - but will be diligent and rational to look into it from my bike's perspective

Hey Kamper, curious how much you weigh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    full gear - approx 175 lb - so i guess about an avg rider weight

mtbr member

HA HA. 215 all geared up here

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Zero issues on my 7.1 carbon and it's even been thrashed at the local bike park a few times. Only thing that is a very small concern of mine is from a small low speed crash I took on a climb and I fell on a rock which left two small gouges on the carbon downtube. Local shop said it was a non issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a 2014 Norco Sight carbon and the seat stay cracked last week, I've only had it for about four months. I have contacted the shop I bought it from and they are working with Norco on getting me a new frame, but I don't know how long this will take.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    sloppy build issues, like loose nuts and bolts, or actual frame failures?
    Frame failures. He said they were getting a lot of cracked frames. He didn't mention where the bikes were cracking, but that it was enough for him to consider dropping them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would like to see a picture of a cracked carbon Sight. Not sure if you'll find one. J

mtbr member

LBS sold 5 and three have cracked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I would like to see a picture of a cracked carbon Sight. Not sure if you'll find one. J
    the guy two posts above yours said his cracked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Seat stay carbon insert is cracked and my seat post moves freely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpg  

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpg  

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Seems to me that it could've been human error. How much was it over tightened?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If it was over tightened I think it would crack in a linear fashion from top to bottom from the clamp down into the seat stay and not the circumference of the base. Also I use a torque wrench and the manufactures guidelines (~5nm).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's sucks man. I wonder if it has something to do with something with the early shipments vs some of the later deliveries. When did you get yours? I preordered mine sometime in November and it didn't show up at the shop until first week of May because it was stuck in port during the truckers strike in BC. Another weird this was I ordered the 7.1 5 and the 7.1 showed up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I got mine in April of this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am in the final stages of narrowing down my new bike options and really wanted the sight. I don't have a dealer around my parts so I called a reputable dealer on the east coast further north and they said that they did send all of the their sights back for frame issues. He said they number was outrageously high like 50% fail rate. Anyone out west here of this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Cracked chain stay

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-017.jpg I took a bad spill and cracked my chain stay It was not covered under the warranty and it cost me more than $300 to replace and that was just for the part labor was extra. They said they don't cover crash replacements. The new one had no graphics on it just the blue on top. I'm hoping this is not a bad sign of things to come, the bike is about one month old. I'm disappointed especially when someone I know with a different manufacture had a similar break and it was covered 100%.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I broke the rear end on my Yeti SB 95C on impact as well. It was $600.00. Carbon, in my opinion, is a bad choice for mountain rear ends. At least the Norco has the aluminum chainstay. Aluminum rear ends are just cheaper to replace. No matter which bike you have, you are going to have to replace a rear end once in a while. I would just rather pay $250.00 instead of $600.00. J

mtbr member

Izzy, how long did it take to replace the part

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It took under two weeks to get the part in. I purchased a torque wrench and did the install myself. I'm still healing from a fractured clavicle so I won't be riding till at least the end of Sept. But the bike is ready to go....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy063 View Post
    It took under two weeks to get the part in. I purchased a torque wrench and did the install myself. I'm still healing from a fractured clavicle so I won't be riding till at least the end of Sept. But the bike is ready to go....
    That's actually not bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sucks on the crash damage, but i don't think anyone has crash replacement. some like devinci offer discounted frame replacement due to crash though.
    the other cracks were disturbing. it would be interesting to hear if they were early deliveries or the recently shipped ones, and if there is any indication that any manufacturing defects were remedied in the 15 model. maybe there will be a frame recall if this keeps happening.

mtbr member
    This is the first that I have heard of any issues with the Sight. I have a 2013 alloy that I have ridden for a year with no issues. I do know of one local rider who's carbon Range frame cracked. I'm interested to see if it is only 2014 models, or it goes back to the 2013's as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As a Sight carbon owner and reading this thread,,,, it put a lump in my throat as I was hoping it wasn't going to be a repeat of the Range situation. I just got of the phone with the owner of my LBS where I purchased my bike. He has claimed minimal issues in the sales of 2014 sights. He disclosed selling approx. 100 sights this year and has had three with issues one been a crack by the front derailleur been the worst, and was quickly replaced by Norco. So not sure why such a discrepancy from different bike shops but for now I'm a bit relieved after the conversation I just had. He did say for piece of mind they will do a tear down for my winter prep and inspect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ICSG05 tab, around bottom bracket, broken on an impact. i use the MRP chain guide 2X, witch has a plastic piece, and the plastic broke-off on impact. evenknow the plastic broke-off, the tab broke off the frame. the tab is not part of the BB.....which is too weak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if Im reading this correctly - you are stating that the tab is too weak. Or the BB overall? Just curious as I've had some horrendous rock strikes (well - im my mind) where I've stopped and looked things over down below - so far so good - but I've never used chain guide on the tab as well... thanks in advance and sorry for your issue for sure - has it been handled well via warranty?

mtbr member

I have a buddy at interbike and he's going to try and get the low down. I'll update when I hear something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    one thing i notice, twice so far, i have to re-torque rear suspension screws during a ride.. i will be taking all screws out and re-locktit them. to me sounds like Norco did not have a good quality control on the assembly as well as the assembly itself.

mtbr member

So my buddy talked to Norco and he only asked about the Range. Norco assured him that they rectified the issues with the range and it wasn't a structural issue just the icg tabs.

Hattori Hanzō
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy063 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	4934 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	921546 I took a bad spill and cracked my chain stay It was not covered under the warranty and it cost me more than $300 to replace and that was just for the part labor was extra. They said they don't cover crash replacements. The new one had no graphics on it just the blue on top. I'm hoping this is not a bad sign of things to come, the bike is about one month old. I'm disappointed especially when someone I know with a different manufacture had a similar break and it was covered 100%.
    Izzy063 -The owner of the shop I work at cracked his 2014 sight in the same spot. It was a tip over in a rock garden not even a crash. I was surprised that such a low speed tip over could crack it so easily. His replacement also came with no graphics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nissmo127 View Post
    Izzy063 -The owner of the shop I work at cracked his 2014 sight in the same spot. It was a tip over in a rock garden not even a crash. I was surprised that such a low speed tip over could crack it so easily. His replacement also came with no graphics.
    I haven't been able to ride since my fall still recovering I got four more weeks but the bike is back together and I'm def going to put it to the test. I've heard from other manufactures that carbon is super strong where its meant to be strong on the vertical stuff but weaker "to safe weight" on the lateral stuff like the seat stay. That's one reason some of the manufactures have stayed with aluminum on the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Mid way through a long ride and a looong walk back to the car, but I digress...
    Norco Sight 7.2 2014 Aluminium Seat stay broke.
    In the hands of the LBS and Norco Aus are in talks with Norco Canada as to whether it's possible to get a replacement.

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-7v7hks.jpg

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-mrgmkd.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    oh, that sucks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a 2013 alloy sight killer B, and have had constant issues with the rear pivot bolts remaining tight. even with locktight they seem to come loose and need checking on every ride, I have replaced the bearing which has helped but I still have issues with the no drive side inner bolt.

I also also snapped a seat stay, in exactly the same place as Hindsight, the 2013 does not have internal cable routing, it snapped from weld on the cable mount and went right through. They replaced the stay under warranty - about 6 weeks to sort, but the rear triangle is now under tension. when you take the through axle out the stays move apart by about 1/2 inch, which makes lining the though axle up awkward.

I have heard of one other issues with the stays on a sights. My take on it is that norco created a frame /bike that feels like it can be ridden like a 160 -170mm travel enduro bike. You can go into rock and root way to quick and it's easy to forget you are on a 140mm trail bike. Which is no bad thing, but is likely to increase fatigue on the frame especially the rear triangle. Compounding the problem is the fox ctd, and active horst link. which are fine if you are a sub 190- 200 lb rider, but once over that weight (i'm 220 lbs with gear) is either run at very high 230-250+ psi and feels way to harsh, or below this and you bottom out every ride. I had my shock push tuned which was better but not great. It feel right now but that is after shelling out for a cane creek dbair cs.

still love the bike, and have thought about moving to the range, but would like to see how the frame issues on that model get sorted out first.
    Last edited by will958xl; 10-13-2014 at 02:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've come to the conclusion that when I get this fixed, I'm going to leave it to xc duties and buy a proper dh bike for jumps and harder downhill trails instead of flogging the 140mm bike. I'd say I've found it's limit of range of operation now. Been a week and no reply as to whether there's a replacement stay available so migh have to bight the bullet and send it to Gripsport for repair.
    Photo albums | GripSport

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    the UK sales and distribution are one of the same, but it still took 2 weeks to get a reply to the claim from norco canada, then another 4 weeks to the part to be shipped and fitted. right in the middle of our summer, a bit gutting, so I feel for your wait. my snap was on a trail, it's a very rocky harsh trail, but i'd ridden it 20 times before, no problems, there were no jumps involved. the 150mm pike fork and cane creek have increased the range of the bike's ability, but i've come round to the idea that the next bike will be 160mm + rear travel. don't think I could go the full DH, as couldn't justify the cost against use. hope it gets sorted soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by will958xl View Post
    I have a 2013 alloy sight killer B, and have had constant issues with the rear pivot bolts remaining tight. even with locktight they seem to come loose and need checking on every ride, I have replaced the bearing which has helped but I still have issues with the no drive side inner bolt.

I also also snapped a seat stay, in exactly the same place as Hindsight, the 2013 does not have internal cable routing, it snapped from weld on the cable mount and went right through. They replaced the stay under warranty - about 6 weeks to sort, but the rear triangle is now under tension. when you take the through axle out the stays move apart by about 1/2 inch, which makes lining the though axle up awkward.

I have heard of one other issues with the stays on a sights. My take on it is that norco created a frame /bike that feels like it can be ridden like a 160 -170mm travel enduro bike. You can go into rock and root way to quick and it's easy to forget you are on a 140mm trail bike. Which is no bad thing, but is likely to increase fatigue on the frame especially the rear triangle. Compounding the problem is the fox ctd, and active horst link. which are fine if you are a sub 190- 200 lb rider, but once over that weight (i'm 220 lbs with gear) is either run at very high 230-250+ psi and feels way to harsh, or below this and you bottom out every ride. I had my shock push tuned which was better but not great. It feel right now but that is after shelling out for a cane creek dbair cs.

still love the bike, and have thought about moving to the range, but would like to see how the frame issues on that model get sorted out first.
    ^^ Well said, and I have to agree.

Although there have been some legit flaws on the odd sight, this will be the case with (any) manufacture. As stated above, the sight is such a confidence inspiring bike, which is been compounded by a very nice suspension upgrade many are doing,(CC Inline/Pike) that I believe the bike in some cases is been asked to do to much for a 140mm bike.

I just wanted to give my positive comments with my experience over the last five months, and state that I have road a particular trial (Half Nelson) well over a hundred times on the sight. It's fast and flowy and has many small jumps,(under three feet) all the way down which I hit them all. In my case nothing has come loose, or cracked, or is creaking. My bike so far has been just awesome.

I'm a small guy,(155lbs) all geared up, so I'm sure that has helped vs 200+lbs riders. But IMO the larger more aggressive riders should be riding the Range now that their issues have been resolved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    ^^ Well said, and I have to agree.

Although there have been some legit flaws on the odd sight, this will be the case with (any) manufacture. As stated above, the sight is such a confidence inspiring bike, which is been compounded by a very nice suspension upgrade many are doing,(CC Inline/Pike) that I believe the bike in some cases is been asked to do to much for a 140mm bike.

I just wanted to give my positive comments with my experience over the last five months, and state that I have road a particular trial (Half Nelson) well over a hundred times on the sight. It's fast and flowy and has many small jumps,(under three feet) all the way down which I hit them all. In my case nothing has come loose, or cracked, or is creaking. My bike so far has been just awesome.

I'm a small guy,(155lbs) all geared up, so I'm sure that has helped vs 200+lbs riders. But IMO the larger more aggressive riders should be riding the Range now that their issues have been resolved.
    This

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just noticed a crack on my 2013 Sight, same place as others have mentioned on the drive-side seat stay at the weld just ahead of the rear axle...Norco is replacing the seat stay under warranty, LBS says it'll be here in a week or so which is great turn-around. I haven't ridden this bike since October so no idea when the crack happened, I only found it because I was talking to another buddy about his cracked frame and decided to give mine a once-over to check...glad I did.

Norco Sight Frame Issues?-2015-01-24-07.15.51.jpg
    Last edited by tdotrider; 01-26-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Exact same situation here

Quote Originally Posted by HiNdSiGhT View Post
    Mid way through a long ride and a looong walk back to the car, but I digress...
    Norco Sight 7.2 2014 Aluminium Seat stay broke.
    In the hands of the LBS and Norco Aus are in talks with Norco Canada as to whether it's possible to get a replacement.

Name:	7v7HkS.jpg 
Views:	2058 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	930356

Name:	MrgmKD.jpg 
Views:	1701 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	930357
    My 2013 Norco Sight Alu 27.5 broke in the exact same spot on Monday. No crash.

It was replaced quickly but I've had a rash of problems with this bike in the past 6 months (it just turned 2). A rear pivot bolt blew out, x-fusion post failed, dinky chain guide broke off twice, brake lever and housing failed. Oh did I mention the sunringle wheels seem to be flat magnets?

I love Norco and I love the way this bike rides but the reliability issues leave something to be desired.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is all a bit concerning as the Sight is on my short list for a new bike. I'm about 200 lb geared up, don't ride super aggressively but I'm looking to up that a little with a more capable bike (current ride is a hard tail 29er w/80mm fork but I've ridden that at Downieville and similar trails in NorCal)

Here's the question: how hard were you guys charging when the cracks happened?

I doubt very much I'll ever be out-riding the Sight's capabilities, so should I still be concerned about these failures? And anyone heard anything from Norco or personally about issues on the 2015 frames? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post
    This is all a bit concerning as the Sight is on my short list for a new bike. I'm about 200 lb geared up, don't ride super aggressively but I'm looking to up that a little with a more capable bike (current ride is a hard tail 29er w/80mm fork but I've ridden that at Downieville and similar trails in NorCal)

I doubt very much I'll ever be out-riding the Sight's capabilities, so should I still be concerned about these failures? And anyone heard anything from Norco or personally about issues on the 2015 frames? Thanks.
    Honestly, I hate seeing all these frame issues too. I got a 2014 Carbon 7.1 Sight and I have absolutely shredded the piss out of this thing and haven't any issues besides some rock damage from a fall I had on some sharp rocks. Seems to be holding up fine. It wasn't a puncture, just a small section when a layer of carbon got damaged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post

You may doubt that you'll push the Sight, but that's just it. The Sight begs to be pushed to its limits. She'll taunt you. She's a little **** that begs to be ridden harder and harder. You will eventually succumb. Resistance is futile.

I love my Sight. Luckily I'm a lightweight, so I still haven't broken her. ....But I keep trying!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    You may doubt that you'll push the Sight, but that's just it. The Sight begs to be pushed to its limits. She'll taunt you. She's a little **** that begs to be ridden harder and harder. You will eventually succumb. Resistance is futile.

I love my Sight. Luckily I'm a lightweight, so I still haven't broken her. ....But I keep trying!!
    That's exactly what I'm looking for in my next bike.

And thinking on the issues mentioned in this thread — with all due respect and sympathy to those of you who have cracked frames — it doesn't sound like a huge percentage of Sight owners.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast