Cut Casing Whisperer

Norco Sight can't get full travel

Love my Sight, but I have not been able to get full travel. Even my most slack-jawwed, ham-fisted screw-ups on landing and I still have 10-15mm left on the shock shaft of travel. And that is at 30% sag.

I ran some numbers; shock leverage ratio at bottom out is close to 2.2. So that means 15mm on the shock = 30mm of travel unused.

I love the bottomless feel. But I've been riding a "110mm" travel Sight frame for a few years. I'm thinking the extra 30mm would be nice.

I think I know the issue. I learned the issue through the new "metric" sized shocks. From Vital MTB:
    Another factor that can drastically impact a shock's total spring curve is the pressure behind the internal floating piston (IFP). It turns out the popular inline 7.875x2.25" (200x57mm) shock size - which originated at frame designers' requests - is so tightly packed inside that there is very little room for this charge to compress near bottom out (blue arrow). This results in a huge and unfavorable addition to the spring curve in a super rampy way.
    Norco Sight can't get full travel-max_monarch_vs_deluxe_994453.jpg

The Sight's shock size is 200x57mm.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Travel left on the shock?

For me, I've been at near 40% sag, riding hard, and still not bottoming. I'm 200 pounds (+ pack!).

The challenge for me, is that I really like the Monarch RL, I added the Debbonair air can for a more linear spring. It's an outstanding inline shock, very solid compression and great rebound.

I guess I need to go piggyback shock for more IFP space to solve the bottom out, but I have to admit is sucks to have to pony up another $500 to remove a shock I really like, just to get that last bit of travel.

I guess the next question is what shock to replace it with?

Cane Creek DB Inline = same IFP problem? Why they are blowing up?
    Cane Creek DB Air = $$$, worth it?
    Monarch Plus = Riders rave but seems pedestrian? Bonus for "trail" mode.
    Fox Float X = Small air can, progressive spring curve and progressive Sight = no
    Fox Float X2 = To squishy for XC? Now with platform, but not until late summer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

P

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check to see if there's any volume spacers in the shock, if there are any, remove them. It's an air spring issue, not so much the IFP. When I went from a Monarch Plus to a DB Air on my Range I was blowing through all the travel on the same things where the Monarch Plus was only at 75-50%, I had to stuff a bunch of volume spacers into it to make it perform the same way.

As for shock choices, all the piggyback shocks I know of won't fit on the Sight, the shock won't clear the frame under full compression. The DB Inline is probably the best bet since it goes through its travel very easily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am 160lbs running a little over 25% sag and am getting full travel on big hits using monarch rl with stock HV can (and a stiffer main compression stack actually).

I could see it being the IFP actually. If you take all of the air out of the shock(or remove the air valve) , can you bottom it then?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Thanks for the replies, I'll try compressing the shock without air it to see if there is any ramp up.

There are no spacers in the air can as I changed out the air can from the "HV" to the "DebonAir" which should make the air spring more linear and less rampy at the end.

Looks like I have a bit more testing to do...

P

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    As for shock choices, all the piggyback shocks I know of won't fit on the Sight, the shock won't clear the frame under full compression.
    Nailed it. Thanks for that! You saved me $$$!

Official Norco shock FAQ:
    Norco Bicycles
    Last edited by Mr.P; 04-14-2016 at 08:04 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Nailed it. Thanks for that! You saved me $$$!

Norco Bicycles
    Alloy or carbon sight?

mtbr member
    I have the 7.1A with the monarch RL set at 30% sag (110 psi) and get full travel. I'm 73kg.
    I've just ordered the Debonair can though - so interested to see how you go.

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by mdennett99 View Post
    Alloy or carbon sight?
    2014 Carbon Sight 7.2.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    2014 Carbon Sight 7.2.
    I asked because I have a 2014 alloy sight with a ccdb. And a comment was made that piggybacks wouldn't work on the sight.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I'll try compressing the shock without air it to see if there is any ramp up.

There are no spacers in the air can as I changed out the air can from the "HV" to the "DebonAir" which should make the air spring more linear and less rampy at the end.

Looks like I have a bit more testing to do...

P
    Have you removed the shock and making sure the rear triangle moves freely through its travel? And when you let all air out of the shock does the chain pull it from bottoming out? Thats if you shortened the chain. Shortening the chain too much can also break the rear derailleur hanger.
    I ride the 2014 then 2015 sight carbon under warranty. And had no problem using all my travel. With the debonair shock. Im about 190 loaded with about 145psi in the shock, I think thats about 20-25% sag.

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by gocat View Post
    Have you removed the shock and making sure the rear triangle moves freely through its travel? And when you let all air out of the shock does the chain pull it from bottoming out? ...
    That is a good point on linkage binding / chain, I'll check it out this weekend when I test the shock by letting all the air out.

Thanks!

P

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Random question. Is anyone dealing with constantly snapping derailleur cables with shimano 10sp on this frame?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    Random question. Is anyone dealing with constantly snapping derailleur cables with shimano 10sp on this frame?
    Post that up as a separate topic, as it is a good question and people won't find it here.

I have have had 2 snapped cables on Sram, my previous bikes had zero.

P

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Update:

I let the air out of the shock and achieved full bottom.

I pulled the shock, cycled the linkage, and no binding, all smooth movement.

I added new air can seals, and used a lighter lube for the the air spring.

Set sag to 30% with me sitting on the saddle with pack on.

Result: Still 10mm short of full travel on shock. I hit a few 3-4 foot hucks to flat (not my favorite but it is what the trail presented) The Pike was down to about 10mm of travel left which is rare.

Perhaps I set the sag wrong, being seated rather than in "attack" position. That will be my next test.

A few notes:

When cycling the suspension, I noticed there is a bit of chain grown all the way to bottom out. So there is foot movement (resistance with body weight) resistance to BO.

I frequently ride a hardtail, huck it and bomb it in boneyards and my emphasis on riding is being smooth and sucking things up. I break nothing on the bike. Perhaps the suspension is too progressive for my riding style??? I dunno. Just throwing things out there.

I still dig the Monarch. Great shock for an OEM inline.

On to sag testing.

P

mtbr member
    Update:

I let the air out of the shock and achieved full bottom.

I pulled the shock, cycled the linkage, and no binding, all smooth movement.

I added new air can seals, and used a lighter lube for the the air spring.

Set sag to 30% with me sitting on the saddle with pack on.

Result: Still 10mm short of full travel on shock. I hit a few 3-4 foot hucks to flat (not my favorite but it is what the trail presented) The Pike was down to about 10mm of travel left which is rare.

Perhaps I set the sag wrong, being seated rather than in "attack" position. That will be my next test.

A few notes:

When cycling the suspension, I noticed there is a bit of chain grown all the way to bottom out. So there is foot movement (resistance with body weight) resistance to BO.

I frequently ride a hardtail, huck it and bomb it in boneyards and my emphasis on riding is being smooth and sucking things up. I break nothing on the bike. Perhaps the suspension is too progressive for my riding style??? I dunno. Just throwing things out there.

I still dig the Monarch. Great shock for an OEM inline.

On to sag testing.

P
    Bingo. Proper way to adjust sag is to be in the attack position , not seated

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Latest. I set sag in attack position, which isn't too far from sitting position due to the 50mm stem. 225 psi down to 210 psi for 30% sag.

The bike felt a little less supportive and a bit more forgiving. But climbing steeps meant a lifting and wandering front end. That was not there previously. And there is still 5mm left till bottom out on the shock.

This whole experience reminds me of a coil shock with a solid bottom out bumper.

Regardless, the bike rails. Outside of reaching the end of travel, the bike is amazing. So I am happy.

I have a few more tests to run in big chunk / minimal stunt terrain that I am going to run 35-40% sag, because I can.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 05-02-2016 at 10:36 AM.