mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Norco range Q: unidentified fixture

Wondering if anybody knows what the small piece in the pic is used for? It has two threaded holes and is on the non-drive side of my '13 range b frame.

I'm guessing that there is a semicircular piece that bolts in this location, creating a collar for a dropper post cable, but that's just a guess. My bike didn't come with any such hardware. Did yours?

Norco range Q: unidentified fixture-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375357280.087863.jpg

mtbr member

I'm not sure about the range models but my sight has one. It's the same piece on your seat collar that guides the cable for a dropper post. I'll take a pic when I get home from work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I'm not sure about the range models but my sight has one. It's the same piece on your seat collar that guides the cable for a dropper post. I'll take a pic when I get home from work.
    Thanks for the info. So the piece that I have screwed to my seat collar can be repositioned here? Did your bike come with one at each location?

mtbr member

Yes (if there are threads) and yes mine came with it. Sorry it's kinda hard to see in the pic.

Norco range Q: unidentified fixture-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375458437.831143.jpg

mtbr member

Here's a better pic

Norco range Q: unidentified fixture-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375488938.314322.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for posting the pics. Based on the first photo, it looks like you're only using a collar on the seat tube and not the seatpost clamp.

I plan on picking up a Thomson dropper post, which has a retention ring at the top of the outer post. Seems to me that the Thomson retainer and the norco retainer on the seattube should be sufficient.

I have a range b that didn't come with a dropper

mtbr member

I'm actually using them both at the collar and on the seat post tube. Not sure why it's not attached on the first pic. For the money of the Thomson I'd consider a KS LEV and that way you don't have to worry about the cable.

mtbr member

That's what I have going right now

Norco range Q: unidentified fixture-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375494286.517902.jpg

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics. Based on the first photo, it looks like you're only using a collar on the seat tube and not the seatpost clamp.

I plan on picking up a Thomson dropper post, which has a retention ring at the top of the outer post. Seems to me that the Thomson retainer and the norco retainer on the seattube should be sufficient.

I have a range b that didn't come with a dropper
    I have the exact bike you do. Range Killer B 2. I have a KS LEV. There should be a second little cable guide with your bike. One comes installed with the seat collar, and one comes in the bike box bagged with all the loose hardware.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I have the exact bike you do. Range Killer B 2. I have a KS LEV. There should be a second little cable guide with your bike. One comes installed with the seat collar, and one comes in the bike box bagged with all the loose hardware.
    The shop that sold me my bike gave me a bunch of manuals, but no hardware. What else was in that bag of tricks? Do these bikes come with shock pumps by chance?

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    The shop that sold me my bike gave me a bunch of manuals, but no hardware. What else was in that bag of tricks? Do these bikes come with shock pumps by chance?
    No, no shock pump. Other add-on's include reflectors and a few cable ends maybe. Nothing you'll need to hang on too.

I would probably ask about that extra cable piece that you are missing. You may want it. However, many people are routing their seat tube cable across the top tube and avoiding the need for that second fitting anyway. I currently have mine routed down the down tube and back up the seat tube, but would rather route it across the top tube, and will probably do so in the near future when I had time to sort it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    No, no shock pump. Other add-on's include reflectors and a few cable ends maybe. Nothing you'll need to hang on too.

I would probably ask about that extra cable piece that you are missing. You may want it. However, many people are routing their seat tube cable across the top tube and avoiding the need for that second fitting anyway. I currently have mine routed down the down tube and back up the seat tube, but would rather route it across the top tube, and will probably do so in the near future when I had time to sort it out.
    Got ya. Appreciate the info.

I'm beginning to wonder if you could use a stealth post on this bike and route the cable along the downtube and into the hole where the spare derailleur hanger bolt goes. That might be asking too much from the cable from a bending perspective though