Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norco Range

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Norco Range

Who is on one thoughts about the bike????

5'10" medium???

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm also interested in any ride reports.

Does anybody know whats the real frame weight? Theres 2,9kg listed on the website, but it doesn't say if this includes shock and axle and for which frame size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A few ranges down here in Moab. Some rather picky hardcore bikers really like the range, in fact they were super impressed. I am 5'10" and the medium range is longer than my current medium RFX. My buddy who normally rides a medium had to go down to a small in the Range because it was too big for him. The medium should be a great fit for you. In other words, the range runs big, hence the medium should be perfect for your size. A large would be too big for you. If you have questions call Chili Pepper bikes. They can give you a pretty good review since they have some ranges and the trails have been dry so people have some time on the range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for your answer. I'm 5'9" but i think medium should still be ok.
    What do you think about the BB height? 355 with the small nobby nic tires sounds quite high.

I'm also interested if anybody had a ride on the Range 2 with the Monarch shock and how he likes it. Read some reports, that these shocks are rather overdamped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by madtrix
    What do you think about the BB height? 355 with the small nobby nic tires sounds quite high.

I'm also interested if anybody had a ride on the Range 2 with the Monarch shock and how he likes it. Read some reports, that these shocks are rather overdamped.
    like the last poster said, it would be great to hear from some range owners on there opinions on the bike! Im interested in possibly getting on but the price is pretty steep for my budget....want to make sure its worth the $$.

thank you ,

chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ive got a range 2 and it's by far the best bike i've owned to date. ive thrown all types of riding at it and takes it like a champ. i upgraded the front shock and that has made a slight difference feels better in small bump compliance. the bike descends beautifully too, just up open the gate on the rear shock and have fun. not too heavy either. i feel that this bike has helped my skills as well in regards to descending and body control.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Picked up my new Range 1 last friday at my lbs. This bike is replacing my 2004 Turner 5 Spot as my main rig. Let me start by saying this bike is incredible! I knew it was going to be good but man o man does it rock.

First thing i noticed was how much stiffer it is with the 20mm front and syntance rear axles. You can pick almost any line no matter how crazy it may seem and the bike will hold a line, really impressive. Rear travel is super resppnsive with what seems like endless travel. I set the fox rp23 shock with a good third of sag and same with the fox talas front shock. Bike just eats up the rough stuff. The fork angle is more slack than the Turner making the steep stuff easy to tackle.

I could go on and on about how impressed my initial 5 rides have been. I think Norco hit a home run with the Range. A bike that climbs well and can handle any descent you can throw at it. Good stuff!

chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Norce makes fairly big frame. I'm almost 6 feet tall and I'm comfy on their medium size

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Norco makes fairly big frame. I'm almost 6 feet tall and I'm comfy on their medium size

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by madtrix View Post

I demoed a Range 2 this week. The monarch is waaay overdamped for my liking. So much so that this bike is being sent to the bottom of my list. The 1 may be better with the Fox RP23, but I couldn't say without riding one

The Trek Scratch air is up there though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mastajeepa View Post
    ive got a range 2 and it's by far the best bike i've owned to date. ive thrown all types of riding at it and takes it like a champ. i upgraded the front shock and that has made a slight difference feels better in small bump compliance. the bike descends beautifully too, just up open the gate on the rear shock and have fun. not too heavy either. i feel that this bike has helped my skills as well in regards to descending and body control.
    What did you swap the fork to?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm riding a Range 3 and love it.

I've done a number of intended upgrades on it though.

cit
    mtbr member
    Hi guys.
    We have finally norco.
    But what' s the sizing for those frame? I' m tall 172 cm, it' s 5'6" i think. It' s better a small or a medium range for me?
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can someone explain how is routed the front derailleur cable and what type of derailleur is use (clamp size and pull type...) thanks !

mtbr member

The Range Rocks!

Love the Range 3!!
    I'm 6'1" and 185# and ride an XL. I have long arms and legs and felt like I was riding the front wheel on a large. I'm very comfortable on the XL, and it's definitely the right size for me, as I was professionally fitted by a very well respected shop in Southern Ontario.
    I don't find the Monarch shock to be overdamped at all for my weight and riding style. I messed with the forks a bit, trying stiffer springs, but was happiest when I went back to the stock springs. My seat-of-the-pants impressions were supported by my lap times on a tough, technical loop that I routinely time myself on as a way of determining if my changes are for the better or not.
    Once I got the suspension dialled it was very plush, yet never bottomed. It just soaked up everything in its path while holding a line beautifully on rough, rocky, rooty downhills.

Awesome bike!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    Love the Range 3!!
    I'm 6'1" and 185# and ride an XL. I have long arms and legs and felt like I was riding the front wheel on a large. I'm very comfortable on the XL, and it's definitely the right size for me, as I was professionally fitted by a very well respected shop in Southern Ontario.
    I don't find the Monarch shock to be overdamped at all for my weight and riding style. I messed with the forks a bit, trying stiffer springs, but was happiest when I went back to the stock springs. My seat-of-the-pants impressions were supported by my lap times on a tough, technical loop that I routinely time myself on as a way of determining if my changes are for the better or not.
    Once I got the suspension dialled it was very plush, yet never bottomed. It just soaked up everything in its path while holding a line beautifully on rough, rocky, rooty downhills.

Awesome bike!
    I absolutely love my Range too. Good to hear that you do too! It's a great do it all bike. I'm really surprised how unknown Norco seems to be to so many people.

I, unfortunately, had to send my Monrach back in for Rockshox to service it under warranty, and that took three weeks. It still hasn't been completely fixed and slowly leaks air out of it. I'm considering getting it PUSH'd this down season to make it more reliable. Plus, I'd like a little bit more bottom out resistance. Beyond that though, amazing bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Speaking of the rear shocks on the Ranges, could someone tell me what the shock length and stroke size are on these bikes? I'm looking at buying one on Pink Bike, and will most likely want to upgrade the shock once I get it.

Any advice would be great. Also, I'm 6' tall, with a long torso- will a large be ok?

Thanks!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I've got an XL and I'm 6'3", which feels right for me. FWIW it's worth.
    I'm also upgrading the shock on mine. I plan on getting a PUSH tuned Monarch and plan on getting the RC3. I hear the RT3 is also nice though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ekloewen View Post
    Speaking of the rear shocks on the Ranges, could someone tell me what the shock length and stroke size are on these bikes? I'm looking at buying one on Pink Bike, and will most likely want to upgrade the shock once I get it.

Any advice would be great. Also, I'm 6' tall, with a long torso- will a large be ok?

Thanks!
    216x63 - 8.5x2.5

What kind of riding are you planning for ? I got rp23 for all around stuff and vivid air for dh-ish trails... Like them both, just different uses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Forgot to mention, this bike is impressive. I ditched my DH and XC bike for it, so the I was worried that the gaps at the end of the spectrum would be big... I was wrong. This is a very good all rounder,

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, I feel that Norco doesn't get as much attention as they should. It isn't some sort of revolutionary bike, but mine still hauls down rather aggressively and climb fantastically

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I demo'd a Range 1 for a few hours and felt natural for the all mtn riding I like. For 160mm travel it pedaled great. I'm 6'3" with shoes and the L fit me. I did have to adjust my riding position forward on the climbs due to the slacker head angle. I haven't bought it because I wanted to compare it to the Trek Slash, which I barely demo'd.

The specs look fairly similar between the Range and the Slash. Can anyone give me a good description of the riding differences between these?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I think that the differences are going to be experienced a lot more on the trails than on the internet in a fine little text. Demo the slash more to find out would be my answer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Very true. I'm hoping to demo the Slash more. Whichever one turns out to feel best, the Trek will cost more. We will see if those little design differences are that noticeable.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm not sure which Slash you're considering, but each one in the line up is rather nice. One thing that stands out to me is the internal cable routing for the seat post. That's rather cool.
    Regardless, they're both nice bikes and you'll easily enjoy either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Back to the Range... What pressure are you running in the RP23 (along with your riding weight) ?

I currently have 205psi I'm aroud 195lbs all geared up. Sag is 25-30%.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I got the 2011 Range 3 that I have essentially gutted and upgraded nd it has a monarch R . The Range 3 doesn't have ART suspension, FWIW. I run 200 PSI and I weigh around 200-205 pounds when all geared up. It does seem a little high IMO, but it doesn't wallow much and sag is at 20%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Back to the Range... What pressure are you running in the RP23 (along with your riding weight) ?

I currently have 205psi I'm aroud 195lbs all geared up. Sag is 25-30%.
    Should have specified that it's an RP23!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I recognize that you have an RP23, but so long as the volume of the air canister on the shock is relative; the PSI seems to be relative as well when all other factors are a constant. Admittedly, I'm not very experienced with the anatomical differences that play into how the leverage of the faux-bar suspension works on a Range, but again; I'd imagine that it is all quite relative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I recognize that you have an RP23, but so long as the volume of the air canister on the shock is relative; the PSI seems to be relative as well when all other factors are a constant. Admittedly, I'm not very experienced with the anatomical differences that play into how the leverage of the faux-bar suspension works on a Range, but again; I'd imagine that it is all quite relative.
    oups... I did specified it! Sorry for the unwanted sarcasm and thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    here's mine :

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice ride dude. Is it all stock, or have you done any aftermarket purchases?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice ride dude. Is it all stock, or have you done any aftermarket purchases?
    thanks! All custom, except for the frame+rear shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I weigh 165 pounds and am running 180 psi in the RP23 on my range 1. This gives me 20% sag and feels about right for AM riding.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    thanks! All custom, except for the frame+rear shock.
    Nice, what are the specs on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi,
    I live in Italy and ordered a small size frame 2012 in october, the expected delivery was for the mid of november, I don't know anything about it, someone have a frame or bike 2012?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice, what are the specs on it?
    Trail/AM
    Charger pro wheels
    XO shifter +derailleur
    AKA stem + RF Atlas am bars
    X0 brakes
    Saint cranks + 32 chainring
    LG1 bash
    Crankbrothers 50/50 pedals
    Reverb post
    Lyrik RC2DH
    RP23

DH, switch for :
    deemax wheels
    boobars
    chromag 50mm stem
    36t chaingring
    RS Vivid air
    I thinks that's it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    can anyone compare the ride to any other compare able rides? such as an enduro, reign, meta, remedy.... I'm interested in the bike but I live in the midwest so my bike demos are pretty limited and mostly limited to the bikes my riding buddies have but I'm willing to take a risk, I just like to get as much info/reviews as possible.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got time on the Range, Reign, and Remedy, and a few other 6" bikes (Nomad, older generation Norcos), and I'd say that the Range is most similar to the Remedy, in terms of pedaling characteristics / ride quality.

While climbing, it's not a mushy pedaling bike but the suspension is pretty active under load compared to the Maestro setup that Giant uses or the VPP system that Santa Cruz and Intense use, and that's either a blessing or a curse, depending on your preference. It rips on descents, I have no real complaints about its capabilities there.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the reply, the geo looks much slacker then the remedy, are you refering to plat form and pedal bob/efficency when comparing to the remedy? So it doesn't have the pedaling efficency of the maestro.. if I understand it right? would you say it's your choice for an all around trail/all-m bike?

has anyone had any issues with the cable routing? I'm not a big fan of the routing under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    Thanks for the reply, the geo looks much slacker then the remedy, are you refering to plat form and pedal bob/efficency when comparing to the remedy? So it doesn't have the pedaling efficency of the maestro.. if I understand it right? would you say it's your choice for an all around trail/all-m bike?
    You're right about what I'm saying both in regards to platform and pedal bob on the Norco and the Remedy. My time was spent on an older version of the Remedy, which had a 160mm fork on it and had similar geo to the Range I demoed for a few weeks.

'Efficiency' is a tough thing to gauge, as one person's efficient system might be one that another hates because of the anti-squat build into it. If you're considering a regular Reign, the suspension does feel less active than the Norco and the Remedy, imo, and not that that's a bad thing -- I've owned multiple Trances over the years, and I thought they were great.

There are lots of great bikes in the 6" category and I'd honestly ride almost any of them. I liked the Range a lot and I liked the Remedy a lot. There's also the Slayer, Mojo, Nomad, Wilson.... They all have their own quirks, but they're all really such good options that you can't really lose.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks again for your reply, you are right there are so many great bikes in this catagory right now it is super hard to choose and they all get great reviews and there are equal amounts of lovers and haters on the forums that both make valid points, it's so difficult to choose and at that kind of money you or at least i can't just go buy a new one each year, its at least a couple year investment. i have a reign now and like it a lot. I rode an enduro and thought it wasn't as efficient of a pedaler but it felt really alive on the down hills. It was more of a dh bike that can climb where I think of the reign more so of an xc bike that can decend, if that makes sence. Maybe i'll get lucky and run into some on riding a range or walk into a bike shop someplace that will let me take one for a spin.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Thanks again for your reply, you are right there are so many great bikes in this catagory right now it is super hard to choose and they all get great reviews and there are equal amounts of lovers and haters on the forums that both make valid points, it's so difficult to choose and at that kind of money you or at least i can't just go buy a new one each year, its at least a couple year investment. i have a reign now and like it a lot. I rode an enduro and thought it wasn't as efficient of a pedaler but it felt really alive on the down hills. It was more of a dh bike that can climb where I think of the reign more so of an xc bike that can decend, if that makes sence. Maybe i'll get lucky and run into some on riding a range or walk into a bike shop someplace that will let me take one for a spin.
    I remember seeing a shop up in Duncan, Vancouver Island, British Colombia that was demo'ing a Range, but I'd understand if that was out of the way.

There's this technical climb in the local state park I ride. It's rather technical and I see more people walk there bike up it than I do see people ride all the way up. I've seen Cannondale XC bikes, Santa Cruz Nomad's, Heckler's, Butcher's, Nickel's, Specialized XC bikes, 29ers-all sorts of people just walking up it. Then again, I've also seen someone with a Specialized S-Works Enduro climbing it with dual crown forks and I saw a single-speed rigid bike climb it. So, the climbing ability of the "bike" seems to be more of the climbing ability of the rider. I can make the climb, but I really do believe it's more dependent on the rider. My bike doesn't give me any negative feedback while climbing, so I enjoy how it rides. The bike rips on descents. That is for damned certain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I feel you are 100% correct, and always feel that its the rider, not the bike in the majority of cases and that is why I take all pro/mag reviews with a grain of salt as they probably could rock a huffy just as well while it lasted. I am looking for that good all purpose do it all bike. My reign is solid but it doesn't quite have the geo I think that would be best, it's a bit noisy in the rearend, partly because of no ISCG tabs for a chain guide. This sounds like a solid contender for my type of riding. A lot of trail, some longer adventure rides, some steep, some prolonged climbs, as much DH as I can get here and some light park/jump use.
    Thanks again, I'm heading to whistler for my honey moon in early june so I might see if a bike shop up there has one to look at or maybe ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is anyone able to compare this bike to the RMB Slayer? they look very similar in agles/geo IMO correct me if i'm wrong but I was wondering what you thought of them, how the ride was different...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    It is funny that you bring up the slayer. When I was up in Courtenay, BC I saw a group of nearly a dozen riders. Half of then were on the range and the other half had a slayer. Everyone had ridden both and everyone seemed to have an equal appreciation. It was an interesting group

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    has anyone had any issues with the cable routing? I'm not a big fan of the routing under the down tube.
    Not so much on the down tube, but on the chainstay the cable runs underneath, and even with a Staitline Silent Guide, the cable housing has taken quite the beating. Plus the zap straps break once in a while from wear. Really wish the driveside chainstay was able to run internal routing.

Thanks again, I'm heading to whistler for my honey moon in early june so I might see if a bike shop up there has one to look at or maybe ride.
    Fanatyk Co. in Whistler Village had XTR equipped demos last year.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I love the way it feels and how it corners. This video is about two months old and I've progressed since it, but I love where I ride and I love what I ride.

Mountain biking Montana de Oro on Hazard Peak and Manzanita - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Not so much on the down tube, but on the chainstay the cable runs underneath, and even with a Staitline Silent Guide, the cable housing has taken quite the beating. Plus the zap straps break once in a while from wear. Really wish the driveside chainstay was able to run internal routing.

Routing wise, you can simply run the cables along the top tube, over the link then down to rear brake and mech. Worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post

Thanks for the heads up I'll check them out for sure

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Last edited by mnelson13; 04-11-2014 at 12:55 AM.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm 6'2"-6'4" depending on the day you measure me (( ))
    From my own experience, I'd recommend getting the XL. I have a Large Norco Fluid V4 sitting around and it's a little tiny for me for certain. Getting a stiffer spring in the fork will probably be a good idea. I have the same spring in my fork, but at 180-190 something pounds-again, depending on the day you weigh me, and I have even considered going for a stiffer spring for when I'm riding more park oriented stuff. The Lyrik comes standard with a medium and the recommended weight on it is something like 150-190, to my recollection and mildly decent memory.

And in general, you don't want your suspension to sag about a bunch. Standard sag limits seem to be %20 on both the fork and rear shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just put a 35mm stem on my Range. Climbing doesn't seem to be compromised even doing an XC race on it. Drops seem to have me more centered on the bike now

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    From what I've been told (and in my experience), you need to make sure you're setting up the ART suspension at the proper sag for it to have the trail compliance Norco designed the bike for. If you go outside of the sag measurements, performance tends to not be as great.

Too much sag, and the bike bottoms out easily (despite having a bottom out resistance such as on the DHX), and too little sag, and you'll rarely use full-travel.

My experience is that the ranges like to be bang on 25%, the Truax around 27%, and the Sight around 22-23%.

In playing around with my Truax (and my wife's Vixa, and a buddy's Range), it's incredible the difference just that couple mm's difference in sag can make, going from a bike that bottoms out very easily, to one that has no small bump compliance. It's interesting to see how sensitive the ART is to this.

So, make sure the sag is set to what Norco recommends for the bike. Otherwise, you're not going to have very good performance.

Also, make sure your front matches your rear for sag. Otherwise, it'll offset the balance in the suspension and make things react to bumps differently which can disrupt the stability of the bike.

-Mike

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I had problems with a rear shock that finally got replaced my RS just about a month ago and in that time I got very comfortable with adjusting the sag on my Range 3. However, the 2011 Range 3 does not have ART suspension. All the same, it still effects it quite severely. Wish I had a buddy with a Truax to play around with from time to time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What problems did you have? Out of curiousity...

And yeah, the Range 3 doesn't have ART, but the overall suspension curve is fairly similar (ART just gets a bit more rear-ward arc I think...)

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Not long after getting the bike, I noticed that I was loosing pressure in the rear shock. The LBS told me it was fine, but I finally got it sent in two months later. After a month long turn-around, I got the shock back-and RS did a basic rebuild on the seals and said nothing was wrong with it anyways. Got it, rode it, noticed it was leaking, another month long turn-around for them to tell me it was fine again after they did another seal rebuild. Still leaking, and months later-I finally talked to them on the phone after dealing with their, "we only deal with registered retailers" bull for a number of calls before finally speaking to a manager. Then they misplaced my information and claimed I never gave it to them in the first place (shock serial number, measurements, et cetera) and so a month after that I finally got them to send me out a monarch RT3, replacing my Monarch R. during the first year of owning my bike, 1/4 of it was spent not riding it because of the shock being out and the other 3/4 were less than favorable riding involving bringing a shock pump with me wherever I went riding. Basically, **** RS- but aside from that, the Range is a great bike. I thought all of them had ART and went on riding the bike for the first months believing it did-so it was no biggy later

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Interesting. We had a problem with my wife's Vixa which came with a Monarch R. Although we weren't losing air pressure, the rebound tune on the shock was WAYYYY off for the bike (despite it being marketed as having a Vixa specific rebound tune). Basically, what was happening, was that in order to get the 25% sag on it for my wife's weight (she's about 140 lbs all kitted up), it would be running super low pressure, which gave it almost no rebound (it would take nearly a full second, sometimes a little more to extend fully, even on the fastest setting). I talked to a few different people, including Norco, and it all came down to it being the incorrect tune for my wife's weight. Knowing turn-around times, and that chances are, the problem wouldn't be fixed, I never sent it away, but instead running a higher sag and get mediocre rebound.

I am tempted to go to a Fox Float RP, but I am not sure it if would solve the problem.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I would try the turn around time. It may save you money. Unless you have more money than time, of course. In my situation, I had more time than money. I didn't expect this problem when I ordered a number of upgrades on my bike and because I didn't account for that expense, I went through my initial budget and didn't feel like pushing the investment further. So it goes though, the RT3 is working comfortably. I think I am going to write RS and Norco about this issue, RS was especially terrible.

humber river advocate
    picked up a medium range (i'm 5'9") to be my do it all bike. have started the mods, a cromag stem and fubar bars. chain guide is next as well as the one brakes as soon as the adapters comes in.

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah dude I upgraded my Range so much that it is hardly a Range 3 now.

X0 drivetrain
    XTR M988 Trail brakes w/ice-tech rotors
    Straitline de Facto pedals
    crank arm boots from RaceFace
    Chromag Fubar OSX bar
    ODI grips, Twenty6 bar end caps
    purelycustom stemp cap
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    MRP 2x guide
    and WTB Freeride front wheel and a Loco rear.
    Planning on picking up a Chromag stem soon too. I like the Canadian gear and the companies have been super friendly: thanks to both Straitline and Chromag for being great and Norco for having the sweet bike.

How are you liking your ride?

humber river advocate
    pretty good, took it out for a spin today dialing everything in, sunday will take it to the bike park (blue).
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice, what length is that stem?

humber river advocate
    Nice, what length is that stem?
    50mm

bike is working well

though will change out the seat, don't like it... pinches my nuts

also ordered this in from black spire to retain the chain

Blackspire - STINGER | Blackspire
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I changed my seat before I went on my first real ride, definitely a good idea. your build is looking great

humber river advocate
    got the chain guide on. will up grade the brakes to ones for the weekend as well as a sram 9 10spd rear shifter. also trying to get an i9 rear hub conversion kit (142-12) for a
    i9 135mm wheelset i scored

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice dude, I love all the changes I've done on my own Range. It's a sweet bike. We're going to have to get some rider shots on the bike soon, I haven't seen pics of anyone really pushing the limits of the Range. I was having a lot of fun today riding.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

my backyard jump is coming along nicely

humber river advocate
    <object width='500' height='375'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/265517/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/265517/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='375' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/265517/'>riding the norco range</a> on <a href='http://www.pinkbike.com'>Pinkbike</a></p>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

humber river advocate
    latest upgrades... chris king headset

160mm rotor, dh brakes

the bike how it sits now...

wheels next
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice dude. I'm getting a chromag hifi in silver soon. I'd like a king headset, but I might wait to so wheels first. What kind of brakes?

humber river advocate
    Nice dude. I'm getting a chromag hifi in silver soon. I'd like a king headset, but I might wait to so wheels first. What kind of brakes?
    nice

formula ones

2011 The One :: Formula Brake USA

light for dh brakes, lots of power, post mount, cobbled together well in a 180 front and 160 back on the range

i'm trying to convert a wheelset for 12-142 rear... will post pics up once i'm done.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Been following this thread, good stuff on here. I leave to boot camp in a month, however a local shop has a 2011 range 3 listed for $1693. I'm debating on if I should haggle with them on the price and try to get them down to $1500, or just wait till I get back and go for a 2012 which will be on clearance by then? Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I would wait until the 2012 is on clearance. Getting a 2011 Range 3 at $1,500 USD would be great, but the 2012 Range 3 has ART suspension and a Syntace rear axle, something the 2011 model doesn't have. I have the 2011 and I ride it hard and love it. It performs fantastically, but having the Syntace rear axle and the ART suspension would be cool and worth the wait. However, I'm not so sure about some of the components that come on the 2012 model. I feel like you may end up wanting different brakes and possibly a different rear shock on it. I have already changed out most of my components though on my 2011. There are a lot of great mods you can do to the Lyrik R fork it comes with, so keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks ehigh. I for sure do like that fact that norco added the ART, bash guard and the syntace on the 12. They should of just put that stuff on the 11 to begin with! I'll try and hold out, im really wanting to ride before i'm in 8 weeks of hell getting yelled at to do pushups ha ha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Argh just couldn't wait. I'm making a two hour drive and picking up a new 11' range 3. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Pretty stoked to be able to ride for a month before the military owns me.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah man I love my range. The syntace systems are cool, but people have ripped trails on quick release axles for a long time. The rear suspension on my bike feels dialed now. Beware of the Monarch R though, I hated mine and had it warrantied enough times until RS finally sent me a new shock. I'm at UBI in Ashland now, but when I'm back I'm going to tune my fork with a new damper and shims. Just got my chromag Hifi stem. 60 grams heavier than the Ranger stem singlesprocket got, but I was looking for a wider bar clamp. Fun bike to get dialed, everyone I know who has upgraded their range hasn't regretted having to buy more components. It just becomes clear its very user friendly. Lighter wheels, shorter bars and lighter stem, a 120mm fork, I'd have a tight trail bike. For now, its aggressive AM, and I guess I freeride when those trails are around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr222 View Post
    Argh just couldn't wait. I'm making a two hour drive and picking up a new 11' range 3. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Pretty stoked to be able to ride for a month before the military owns me.
    Seeing you're from OR, where was the 2hr drive to? I know Joy Ride here in Lacey WA has one and I'm wondering if you scooped it.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr222 View Post
    Been following this thread, good stuff on here. I leave to boot camp in a month, however a local shop has a 2011 range 3 listed for $1693. I'm debating on if I should haggle with them on the price and try to get them down to $1500, or just wait till I get back and go for a 2012 which will be on clearance by then? Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.
    wait and get the 2012...

industry nine wheelset on the range now and maxxis tires...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Love your range dude, looks great. Did a ride with the new hifi stem today, love the 50mm. handled incredibly well on some fantastic new trails. Versatile bike, looking at a CCDB air

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any thoughts on the dampening and set up of the rear shock on the new Ranges?

The reason I ask is when I demoed one I thought the rear suspension was a little stiff, but being a demo I didn't know if it was the due to the built in dampening of the shock or simply over inflated with air for my weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would say that it was over-inflated for your weight. The ART design is fairly progressive I believe, and generally feels pretty bottomless when set-up right.

I would re-demo one, and make sure that you set the sag properly (around 25% for the Ranges). The ART design relies on being set-up properly, as I find that when it's out of adjustment, it's not a great feeling system.

I have used both a shock with bottom out and one with a pre-set, and I find that the ability to adjust the bottom out really allows you to play with the sag and still get a good feeling system. Although, I've spoken with someone who rode a DHX Air on his range, and he hated it, and said the RP23 was a much better feeling shock... so, to each their own I guess.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yes the range has a progressive, or non linear, suspension system. While coil could work, air with the correct sag is ideal. Shame to the shop that didn't set that up for you when testing an expensive bike. They should seriously jump on helping people out with things of the sort.

humber river advocate
    Love your range dude, looks great. Did a ride with the new hifi stem today, love the 50mm. handled incredibly well on some fantastic new trails. Versatile bike, looking at a CCDB air
    it is the real sleeper bike of the year... you can upgrade in so many ways.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Seriously. I admire all the different styles people have approached. Seen a good number around Ashland. Pretty cool bike. Mine got a lot of love.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been browsing this forum for years but decided to sign up as I just bought my first full suspension bike, 2011 norco range 3. I absolutely love it. I feel like I've been wasting my time on a hard tail these past 6 years lol.

I have a question though. For those of you with the range 3 and rockshox lyric/monarch R, what do you guys set the rebound at? I'm having troubles finding the right setting, especially for the rear. Front I have it set to 11 clicks from fastest setting and rear I just set it in the middle as I can't get a feel for it. I'm 5'6 and weight 150 lbs. I mainly do trails and freeriding and I'll be doing some downhill at whistler bike park.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I just played with mine for a while. I'm 6'3" and probably 200 pounds geared up on an XL frame so my specs would be arbitrary information. I run 200 pounds of pressure in the rear shock and kept it a couple clicks from slowest of slow. I'm not on a monarch RT3, the R was warrantied a couple months ago. Just toggle with it a little. Set your sag accordingly and figure the rebound from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just played with mine for a while. I'm 6'3" and probably 200 pounds geared up on an XL frame so my specs would be arbitrary information. I run 200 pounds of pressure in the rear shock and kept it a couple clicks from slowest of slow. I'm not on a monarch RT3, the R was warrantied a couple months ago. Just toggle with it a little. Set your sag accordingly and figure the rebound from there.
    Ya I set my sag first to 25%. I find that the rebound isn't very responsive. It feels different at full fast and full slow but everything inbetween feels the same. Is it because of my weight? I did the curb test and even with the reboudn set to full fast I only get one bounce.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'd shoot for 20% sag. You are a little bit lighter, but nothing that requires a high volume air can. It wasn't the most noticeable adjustment, but I find that switching it up helped me track a little better in technical and fast cornering.

let's see some shots of you on your ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll give %20 a try. Thank you for the help! No pictues yet, I'm still a newb lol. I'll be going to whistler bike park ina few weeks, I'll get some pictures then.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Always a beginner. When I first started I was doing tiny stuff, and still- 30 feet of air is still small for a lot of boys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ran 25% of sag, sometimes 30% when things are really rowdy. Rebound is ~12 clicks FFC, and in the middle for the rp23. Rebound is really a personnal thing... I love this bike :

Light duty

Heavy duty

humber river advocate
    nice set up.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    nice rig, any rider shots?

I have a number of parts that I could swap for lighter access, but I never get around to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've now riden my range enough to start modding it. So far here's what I added:

-azonic barretta 50mm stem blue
    -v sixty pedals
    -chromag trailmaster seat
    -specialized lock on grips
    -x fusion hydraulic post (it will be here on wed)

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Sweet range. You've got a 2011 range 3 like me, which doesn't have ART and is a 135mm. Today I ordered an ART rear triangle and linkage with 142mm rear. Just so you know the option is out there. Costing $375. Won't be a color match, ano silver.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    $375 isn't bad at all. I'm not picky about how my bike looks, anodized silver might actually look pretty cool though. Is it worth it to get ART? Defintiley post a picture when you get it and let me know how it rides.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I can't say for certain as I haven't taken a range equipped with Art for a long ride. I'll definitely change out my rear triangle as soon as I get it. It should be hear next Friday. I'm going to guess that the different axle size will have a positive effect as well. I'll be sure to talk of the differences here. I've been riding my range 3 for over a year now so I'll definitely pick out the differences between the FSR and ART. With the X0 drivetrain, XTR brakes, and everything else, my range won't be much of a 3 after this.

I also look forward to the color swap.
    Edit:
    For what its worth, a properly set up rear shock with FSR is still a great platform. I'm excited about ART, but don't have huge expectations. I'll be sure to be critical of their claim with how the change in axle path effects the ride. Norco is a company I love, but any claim is a claim until tested. The 142mm rear put me over on the decision. There should be an inherent firmness to the rear end with that alone. I'm also considering a monarch plus rc3 from push, but that may be a little down the road.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ehigh; 09-15-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1