Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 146

Thread: Norco Range

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    48

    Norco Range

    Who is on one thoughts about the bike????

    5'10" medium???

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    I'm also interested in any ride reports.

    Does anybody know whats the real frame weight? Theres 2,9kg listed on the website, but it doesn't say if this includes shock and axle and for which frame size.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    253
    A few ranges down here in Moab. Some rather picky hardcore bikers really like the range, in fact they were super impressed. I am 5'10" and the medium range is longer than my current medium RFX. My buddy who normally rides a medium had to go down to a small in the Range because it was too big for him. The medium should be a great fit for you. In other words, the range runs big, hence the medium should be perfect for your size. A large would be too big for you. If you have questions call Chili Pepper bikes. They can give you a pretty good review since they have some ranges and the trails have been dry so people have some time on the range.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Thanks for your answer. I'm 5'9" but i think medium should still be ok.
    What do you think about the BB height? 355 with the small nobby nic tires sounds quite high.

    I'm also interested if anybody had a ride on the Range 2 with the Monarch shock and how he likes it. Read some reports, that these shocks are rather overdamped.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by madtrix
    Thanks for your answer. I'm 5'9" but i think medium should still be ok.
    What do you think about the BB height? 355 with the small nobby nic tires sounds quite high.

    I'm also interested if anybody had a ride on the Range 2 with the Monarch shock and how he likes it. Read some reports, that these shocks are rather overdamped.
    like the last poster said, it would be great to hear from some range owners on there opinions on the bike! Im interested in possibly getting on but the price is pretty steep for my budget....want to make sure its worth the $$.

    thank you ,

    chris

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1
    ive got a range 2 and it's by far the best bike i've owned to date. ive thrown all types of riding at it and takes it like a champ. i upgraded the front shock and that has made a slight difference feels better in small bump compliance. the bike descends beautifully too, just up open the gate on the rear shock and have fun. not too heavy either. i feel that this bike has helped my skills as well in regards to descending and body control.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Picked up my new Range 1 last friday at my lbs. This bike is replacing my 2004 Turner 5 Spot as my main rig. Let me start by saying this bike is incredible! I knew it was going to be good but man o man does it rock.

    First thing i noticed was how much stiffer it is with the 20mm front and syntance rear axles. You can pick almost any line no matter how crazy it may seem and the bike will hold a line, really impressive. Rear travel is super resppnsive with what seems like endless travel. I set the fox rp23 shock with a good third of sag and same with the fox talas front shock. Bike just eats up the rough stuff. The fork angle is more slack than the Turner making the steep stuff easy to tackle.

    I could go on and on about how impressed my initial 5 rides have been. I think Norco hit a home run with the Range. A bike that climbs well and can handle any descent you can throw at it. Good stuff!

    chris

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13
    Norce makes fairly big frame. I'm almost 6 feet tall and I'm comfy on their medium size

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13
    Norco makes fairly big frame. I'm almost 6 feet tall and I'm comfy on their medium size

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by madtrix View Post
    Thanks for your answer. I'm 5'9" but i think medium should still be ok.
    What do you think about the BB height? 355 with the small nobby nic tires sounds quite high.

    I'm also interested if anybody had a ride on the Range 2 with the Monarch shock and how he likes it. Read some reports, that these shocks are rather overdamped.
    I demoed a Range 2 this week. The monarch is waaay overdamped for my liking. So much so that this bike is being sent to the bottom of my list. The 1 may be better with the Fox RP23, but I couldn't say without riding one

    The Trek Scratch air is up there though

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by mastajeepa View Post
    ive got a range 2 and it's by far the best bike i've owned to date. ive thrown all types of riding at it and takes it like a champ. i upgraded the front shock and that has made a slight difference feels better in small bump compliance. the bike descends beautifully too, just up open the gate on the rear shock and have fun. not too heavy either. i feel that this bike has helped my skills as well in regards to descending and body control.
    What did you swap the fork to?

  12. #12
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,798
    I'm riding a Range 3 and love it.



    I've done a number of intended upgrades on it though.

  13. #13
    cit
    cit is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3
    Hi guys.
    We have finally norco.
    But what' s the sizing for those frame? I' m tall 172 cm, it' s 5'6" i think. It' s better a small or a medium range for me?
    Thank you!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    154
    Can someone explain how is routed the front derailleur cable and what type of derailleur is use (clamp size and pull type...) thanks !

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rampant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7

    The Range Rocks!

    Love the Range 3!!
    I'm 6'1" and 185# and ride an XL. I have long arms and legs and felt like I was riding the front wheel on a large. I'm very comfortable on the XL, and it's definitely the right size for me, as I was professionally fitted by a very well respected shop in Southern Ontario.
    I don't find the Monarch shock to be overdamped at all for my weight and riding style. I messed with the forks a bit, trying stiffer springs, but was happiest when I went back to the stock springs. My seat-of-the-pants impressions were supported by my lap times on a tough, technical loop that I routinely time myself on as a way of determining if my changes are for the better or not.
    Once I got the suspension dialled it was very plush, yet never bottomed. It just soaked up everything in its path while holding a line beautifully on rough, rocky, rooty downhills.

    Awesome bike!

  16. #16
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    Love the Range 3!!
    I'm 6'1" and 185# and ride an XL. I have long arms and legs and felt like I was riding the front wheel on a large. I'm very comfortable on the XL, and it's definitely the right size for me, as I was professionally fitted by a very well respected shop in Southern Ontario.
    I don't find the Monarch shock to be overdamped at all for my weight and riding style. I messed with the forks a bit, trying stiffer springs, but was happiest when I went back to the stock springs. My seat-of-the-pants impressions were supported by my lap times on a tough, technical loop that I routinely time myself on as a way of determining if my changes are for the better or not.
    Once I got the suspension dialled it was very plush, yet never bottomed. It just soaked up everything in its path while holding a line beautifully on rough, rocky, rooty downhills.

    Awesome bike!
    I absolutely love my Range too. Good to hear that you do too! It's a great do it all bike. I'm really surprised how unknown Norco seems to be to so many people.

    I, unfortunately, had to send my Monrach back in for Rockshox to service it under warranty, and that took three weeks. It still hasn't been completely fixed and slowly leaks air out of it. I'm considering getting it PUSH'd this down season to make it more reliable. Plus, I'd like a little bit more bottom out resistance. Beyond that though, amazing bike.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3
    Speaking of the rear shocks on the Ranges, could someone tell me what the shock length and stroke size are on these bikes? I'm looking at buying one on Pink Bike, and will most likely want to upgrade the shock once I get it.

    Any advice would be great. Also, I'm 6' tall, with a long torso- will a large be ok?

    Thanks!

  18. #18
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,798
    I've got an XL and I'm 6'3", which feels right for me. FWIW it's worth.
    I'm also upgrading the shock on mine. I plan on getting a PUSH tuned Monarch and plan on getting the RC3. I hear the RT3 is also nice though.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by ekloewen View Post
    Speaking of the rear shocks on the Ranges, could someone tell me what the shock length and stroke size are on these bikes? I'm looking at buying one on Pink Bike, and will most likely want to upgrade the shock once I get it.

    Any advice would be great. Also, I'm 6' tall, with a long torso- will a large be ok?

    Thanks!
    216x63 - 8.5x2.5

    What kind of riding are you planning for ? I got rp23 for all around stuff and vivid air for dh-ish trails... Like them both, just different uses.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    154
    Forgot to mention, this bike is impressive. I ditched my DH and XC bike for it, so the I was worried that the gaps at the end of the spectrum would be big... I was wrong. This is a very good all rounder,

  21. #21
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,798
    Yeah, I feel that Norco doesn't get as much attention as they should. It isn't some sort of revolutionary bike, but mine still hauls down rather aggressively and climb fantastically

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    I demo'd a Range 1 for a few hours and felt natural for the all mtn riding I like. For 160mm travel it pedaled great. I'm 6'3" with shoes and the L fit me. I did have to adjust my riding position forward on the climbs due to the slacker head angle. I haven't bought it because I wanted to compare it to the Trek Slash, which I barely demo'd.

    The specs look fairly similar between the Range and the Slash. Can anyone give me a good description of the riding differences between these?

  24. #24
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,798
    I think that the differences are going to be experienced a lot more on the trails than on the internet in a fine little text. Demo the slash more to find out would be my answer.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    Very true. I'm hoping to demo the Slash more. Whichever one turns out to feel best, the Trek will cost more. We will see if those little design differences are that noticeable.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •