Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Norco Range

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I would wait until the 2012 is on clearance. Getting a 2011 Range 3 at $1,500 USD would be great, but the 2012 Range 3 has ART suspension and a Syntace rear axle, something the 2011 model doesn't have. I have the 2011 and I ride it hard and love it. It performs fantastically, but having the Syntace rear axle and the ART suspension would be cool and worth the wait. However, I'm not so sure about some of the components that come on the 2012 model. I feel like you may end up wanting different brakes and possibly a different rear shock on it. I have already changed out most of my components though on my 2011. There are a lot of great mods you can do to the Lyrik R fork it comes with, so keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks ehigh. I for sure do like that fact that norco added the ART, bash guard and the syntace on the 12. They should of just put that stuff on the 11 to begin with! I'll try and hold out, im really wanting to ride before i'm in 8 weeks of hell getting yelled at to do pushups ha ha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Argh just couldn't wait. I'm making a two hour drive and picking up a new 11' range 3. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Pretty stoked to be able to ride for a month before the military owns me.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah man I love my range. The syntace systems are cool, but people have ripped trails on quick release axles for a long time. The rear suspension on my bike feels dialed now. Beware of the Monarch R though, I hated mine and had it warrantied enough times until RS finally sent me a new shock. I'm at UBI in Ashland now, but when I'm back I'm going to tune my fork with a new damper and shims. Just got my chromag Hifi stem. 60 grams heavier than the Ranger stem singlesprocket got, but I was looking for a wider bar clamp. Fun bike to get dialed, everyone I know who has upgraded their range hasn't regretted having to buy more components. It just becomes clear its very user friendly. Lighter wheels, shorter bars and lighter stem, a 120mm fork, I'd have a tight trail bike. For now, its aggressive AM, and I guess I freeride when those trails are around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr222 View Post
    Argh just couldn't wait. I'm making a two hour drive and picking up a new 11' range 3. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. Pretty stoked to be able to ride for a month before the military owns me.
    Seeing you're from OR, where was the 2hr drive to? I know Joy Ride here in Lacey WA has one and I'm wondering if you scooped it.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr222 View Post
    Been following this thread, good stuff on here. I leave to boot camp in a month, however a local shop has a 2011 range 3 listed for $1693. I'm debating on if I should haggle with them on the price and try to get them down to $1500, or just wait till I get back and go for a 2012 which will be on clearance by then? Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.
    wait and get the 2012...

industry nine wheelset on the range now and maxxis tires...

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Love your range dude, looks great. Did a ride with the new hifi stem today, love the 50mm. handled incredibly well on some fantastic new trails. Versatile bike, looking at a CCDB air

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any thoughts on the dampening and set up of the rear shock on the new Ranges?

The reason I ask is when I demoed one I thought the rear suspension was a little stiff, but being a demo I didn't know if it was the due to the built in dampening of the shock or simply over inflated with air for my weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would say that it was over-inflated for your weight. The ART design is fairly progressive I believe, and generally feels pretty bottomless when set-up right.

I would re-demo one, and make sure that you set the sag properly (around 25% for the Ranges). The ART design relies on being set-up properly, as I find that when it's out of adjustment, it's not a great feeling system.

I have used both a shock with bottom out and one with a pre-set, and I find that the ability to adjust the bottom out really allows you to play with the sag and still get a good feeling system. Although, I've spoken with someone who rode a DHX Air on his range, and he hated it, and said the RP23 was a much better feeling shock... so, to each their own I guess.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yes the range has a progressive, or non linear, suspension system. While coil could work, air with the correct sag is ideal. Shame to the shop that didn't set that up for you when testing an expensive bike. They should seriously jump on helping people out with things of the sort.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Love your range dude, looks great. Did a ride with the new hifi stem today, love the 50mm. handled incredibly well on some fantastic new trails. Versatile bike, looking at a CCDB air
    it is the real sleeper bike of the year... you can upgrade in so many ways.
    Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Seriously. I admire all the different styles people have approached. Seen a good number around Ashland. Pretty cool bike. Mine got a lot of love.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been browsing this forum for years but decided to sign up as I just bought my first full suspension bike, 2011 norco range 3. I absolutely love it. I feel like I've been wasting my time on a hard tail these past 6 years lol.

I have a question though. For those of you with the range 3 and rockshox lyric/monarch R, what do you guys set the rebound at? I'm having troubles finding the right setting, especially for the rear. Front I have it set to 11 clicks from fastest setting and rear I just set it in the middle as I can't get a feel for it. I'm 5'6 and weight 150 lbs. I mainly do trails and freeriding and I'll be doing some downhill at whistler bike park.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I just played with mine for a while. I'm 6'3" and probably 200 pounds geared up on an XL frame so my specs would be arbitrary information. I run 200 pounds of pressure in the rear shock and kept it a couple clicks from slowest of slow. I'm not on a monarch RT3, the R was warrantied a couple months ago. Just toggle with it a little. Set your sag accordingly and figure the rebound from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I just played with mine for a while. I'm 6'3" and probably 200 pounds geared up on an XL frame so my specs would be arbitrary information. I run 200 pounds of pressure in the rear shock and kept it a couple clicks from slowest of slow. I'm not on a monarch RT3, the R was warrantied a couple months ago. Just toggle with it a little. Set your sag accordingly and figure the rebound from there.
    Ya I set my sag first to 25%. I find that the rebound isn't very responsive. It feels different at full fast and full slow but everything inbetween feels the same. Is it because of my weight? I did the curb test and even with the reboudn set to full fast I only get one bounce.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'd shoot for 20% sag. You are a little bit lighter, but nothing that requires a high volume air can. It wasn't the most noticeable adjustment, but I find that switching it up helped me track a little better in technical and fast cornering.

let's see some shots of you on your ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll give %20 a try. Thank you for the help! No pictues yet, I'm still a newb lol. I'll be going to whistler bike park ina few weeks, I'll get some pictures then.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Always a beginner. When I first started I was doing tiny stuff, and still- 30 feet of air is still small for a lot of boys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ran 25% of sag, sometimes 30% when things are really rowdy. Rebound is ~12 clicks FFC, and in the middle for the rp23. Rebound is really a personnal thing... I love this bike :

Light duty

Heavy duty

humber river advocate
    nice set up.
    Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    nice rig, any rider shots?

I have a number of parts that I could swap for lighter access, but I never get around to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've now riden my range enough to start modding it. So far here's what I added:

-azonic barretta 50mm stem blue
    -v sixty pedals
    -chromag trailmaster seat
    -specialized lock on grips
    -x fusion hydraulic post (it will be here on wed)

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Sweet range. You've got a 2011 range 3 like me, which doesn't have ART and is a 135mm. Today I ordered an ART rear triangle and linkage with 142mm rear. Just so you know the option is out there. Costing $375. Won't be a color match, ano silver.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    $375 isn't bad at all. I'm not picky about how my bike looks, anodized silver might actually look pretty cool though. Is it worth it to get ART? Defintiley post a picture when you get it and let me know how it rides.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I can't say for certain as I haven't taken a range equipped with Art for a long ride. I'll definitely change out my rear triangle as soon as I get it. It should be hear next Friday. I'm going to guess that the different axle size will have a positive effect as well. I'll be sure to talk of the differences here. I've been riding my range 3 for over a year now so I'll definitely pick out the differences between the FSR and ART. With the X0 drivetrain, XTR brakes, and everything else, my range won't be much of a 3 after this.

I also look forward to the color swap.
    Edit:
    For what its worth, a properly set up rear shock with FSR is still a great platform. I'm excited about ART, but don't have huge expectations. I'll be sure to be critical of their claim with how the change in axle path effects the ride. Norco is a company I love, but any claim is a claim until tested. The 142mm rear put me over on the decision. There should be an inherent firmness to the rear end with that alone. I'm also considering a monarch plus rc3 from push, but that may be a little down the road.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ehigh; 09-15-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast