Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Norco Range

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post

Fanatyk Co. in Whistler Village had XTR equipped demos last year.
    Thanks for the heads up I'll check them out for sure

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Last edited by mnelson13; 04-11-2014 at 01:55 AM.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm 6'2"-6'4" depending on the day you measure me (( ))
    From my own experience, I'd recommend getting the XL. I have a Large Norco Fluid V4 sitting around and it's a little tiny for me for certain. Getting a stiffer spring in the fork will probably be a good idea. I have the same spring in my fork, but at 180-190 something pounds-again, depending on the day you weigh me, and I have even considered going for a stiffer spring for when I'm riding more park oriented stuff. The Lyrik comes standard with a medium and the recommended weight on it is something like 150-190, to my recollection and mildly decent memory.

And in general, you don't want your suspension to sag about a bunch. Standard sag limits seem to be %20 on both the fork and rear shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just put a 35mm stem on my Range. Climbing doesn't seem to be compromised even doing an XC race on it. Drops seem to have me more centered on the bike now

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    From what I've been told (and in my experience), you need to make sure you're setting up the ART suspension at the proper sag for it to have the trail compliance Norco designed the bike for. If you go outside of the sag measurements, performance tends to not be as great.

Too much sag, and the bike bottoms out easily (despite having a bottom out resistance such as on the DHX), and too little sag, and you'll rarely use full-travel.

My experience is that the ranges like to be bang on 25%, the Truax around 27%, and the Sight around 22-23%.

In playing around with my Truax (and my wife's Vixa, and a buddy's Range), it's incredible the difference just that couple mm's difference in sag can make, going from a bike that bottoms out very easily, to one that has no small bump compliance. It's interesting to see how sensitive the ART is to this.

So, make sure the sag is set to what Norco recommends for the bike. Otherwise, you're not going to have very good performance.

Also, make sure your front matches your rear for sag. Otherwise, it'll offset the balance in the suspension and make things react to bumps differently which can disrupt the stability of the bike.

-Mike

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I had problems with a rear shock that finally got replaced my RS just about a month ago and in that time I got very comfortable with adjusting the sag on my Range 3. However, the 2011 Range 3 does not have ART suspension. All the same, it still effects it quite severely. Wish I had a buddy with a Truax to play around with from time to time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What problems did you have? Out of curiousity...

And yeah, the Range 3 doesn't have ART, but the overall suspension curve is fairly similar (ART just gets a bit more rear-ward arc I think...)

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Not long after getting the bike, I noticed that I was loosing pressure in the rear shock. The LBS told me it was fine, but I finally got it sent in two months later. After a month long turn-around, I got the shock back-and RS did a basic rebuild on the seals and said nothing was wrong with it anyways. Got it, rode it, noticed it was leaking, another month long turn-around for them to tell me it was fine again after they did another seal rebuild. Still leaking, and months later-I finally talked to them on the phone after dealing with their, "we only deal with registered retailers" bull for a number of calls before finally speaking to a manager. Then they misplaced my information and claimed I never gave it to them in the first place (shock serial number, measurements, et cetera) and so a month after that I finally got them to send me out a monarch RT3, replacing my Monarch R. during the first year of owning my bike, 1/4 of it was spent not riding it because of the shock being out and the other 3/4 were less than favorable riding involving bringing a shock pump with me wherever I went riding. Basically, **** RS- but aside from that, the Range is a great bike. I thought all of them had ART and went on riding the bike for the first months believing it did-so it was no biggy later

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Interesting. We had a problem with my wife's Vixa which came with a Monarch R. Although we weren't losing air pressure, the rebound tune on the shock was WAYYYY off for the bike (despite it being marketed as having a Vixa specific rebound tune). Basically, what was happening, was that in order to get the 25% sag on it for my wife's weight (she's about 140 lbs all kitted up), it would be running super low pressure, which gave it almost no rebound (it would take nearly a full second, sometimes a little more to extend fully, even on the fastest setting). I talked to a few different people, including Norco, and it all came down to it being the incorrect tune for my wife's weight. Knowing turn-around times, and that chances are, the problem wouldn't be fixed, I never sent it away, but instead running a higher sag and get mediocre rebound.

I am tempted to go to a Fox Float RP, but I am not sure it if would solve the problem.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I would try the turn around time. It may save you money. Unless you have more money than time, of course. In my situation, I had more time than money. I didn't expect this problem when I ordered a number of upgrades on my bike and because I didn't account for that expense, I went through my initial budget and didn't feel like pushing the investment further. So it goes though, the RT3 is working comfortably. I think I am going to write RS and Norco about this issue, RS was especially terrible.

humber river advocate
    picked up a medium range (i'm 5'9") to be my do it all bike. have started the mods, a cromag stem and fubar bars. chain guide is next as well as the one brakes as soon as the adapters comes in.

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah dude I upgraded my Range so much that it is hardly a Range 3 now.

X0 drivetrain
    XTR M988 Trail brakes w/ice-tech rotors
    Straitline de Facto pedals
    crank arm boots from RaceFace
    Chromag Fubar OSX bar
    ODI grips, Twenty6 bar end caps
    purelycustom stemp cap
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    MRP 2x guide
    and WTB Freeride front wheel and a Loco rear.
    Planning on picking up a Chromag stem soon too. I like the Canadian gear and the companies have been super friendly: thanks to both Straitline and Chromag for being great and Norco for having the sweet bike.

How are you liking your ride?

humber river advocate
    pretty good, took it out for a spin today dialing everything in, sunday will take it to the bike park (blue).
    Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice, what length is that stem?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Nice, what length is that stem?
    50mm

bike is working well

though will change out the seat, don't like it... pinches my nuts

also ordered this in from black spire to retain the chain

Blackspire - STINGER | Blackspire
    Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I changed my seat before I went on my first real ride, definitely a good idea. your build is looking great

humber river advocate
    got the chain guide on. will up grade the brakes to ones for the weekend as well as a sram 9 10spd rear shifter. also trying to get an i9 rear hub conversion kit (142-12) for a
    i9 135mm wheelset i scored

Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice dude, I love all the changes I've done on my own Range. It's a sweet bike. We're going to have to get some rider shots on the bike soon, I haven't seen pics of anyone really pushing the limits of the Range. I was having a lot of fun today riding.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

my backyard jump is coming along nicely

humber river advocate
    Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

humber river advocate
    latest upgrades... chris king headset

160mm rotor, dh brakes

the bike how it sits now...

wheels next
    Support TORBA

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice dude. I'm getting a chromag hifi in silver soon. I'd like a king headset, but I might wait to so wheels first. What kind of brakes?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Nice dude. I'm getting a chromag hifi in silver soon. I'd like a king headset, but I might wait to so wheels first. What kind of brakes?
    nice

formula ones

2011 The One :: Formula Brake USA

light for dh brakes, lots of power, post mount, cobbled together well in a 180 front and 160 back on the range

i'm trying to convert a wheelset for 12-142 rear... will post pics up once i'm done.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Been following this thread, good stuff on here. I leave to boot camp in a month, however a local shop has a 2011 range 3 listed for $1693. I'm debating on if I should haggle with them on the price and try to get them down to $1500, or just wait till I get back and go for a 2012 which will be on clearance by then? Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast