Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Norco Range

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm not sure which Slash you're considering, but each one in the line up is rather nice. One thing that stands out to me is the internal cable routing for the seat post. That's rather cool.
    Regardless, they're both nice bikes and you'll easily enjoy either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Back to the Range... What pressure are you running in the RP23 (along with your riding weight) ?

I currently have 205psi I'm aroud 195lbs all geared up. Sag is 25-30%.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I got the 2011 Range 3 that I have essentially gutted and upgraded nd it has a monarch R . The Range 3 doesn't have ART suspension, FWIW. I run 200 PSI and I weigh around 200-205 pounds when all geared up. It does seem a little high IMO, but it doesn't wallow much and sag is at 20%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Back to the Range... What pressure are you running in the RP23 (along with your riding weight) ?

I currently have 205psi I'm aroud 195lbs all geared up. Sag is 25-30%.
    Should have specified that it's an RP23!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I recognize that you have an RP23, but so long as the volume of the air canister on the shock is relative; the PSI seems to be relative as well when all other factors are a constant. Admittedly, I'm not very experienced with the anatomical differences that play into how the leverage of the faux-bar suspension works on a Range, but again; I'd imagine that it is all quite relative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I recognize that you have an RP23, but so long as the volume of the air canister on the shock is relative; the PSI seems to be relative as well when all other factors are a constant. Admittedly, I'm not very experienced with the anatomical differences that play into how the leverage of the faux-bar suspension works on a Range, but again; I'd imagine that it is all quite relative.
    oups... I did specified it! Sorry for the unwanted sarcasm and thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    here's mine :

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Nice ride dude. Is it all stock, or have you done any aftermarket purchases?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice ride dude. Is it all stock, or have you done any aftermarket purchases?
    thanks! All custom, except for the frame+rear shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I weigh 165 pounds and am running 180 psi in the RP23 on my range 1. This gives me 20% sag and feels about right for AM riding.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    thanks! All custom, except for the frame+rear shock.
    Nice, what are the specs on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi,
    I live in Italy and ordered a small size frame 2012 in october, the expected delivery was for the mid of november, I don't know anything about it, someone have a frame or bike 2012?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice, what are the specs on it?
    Trail/AM
    Charger pro wheels
    XO shifter +derailleur
    AKA stem + RF Atlas am bars
    X0 brakes
    Saint cranks + 32 chainring
    LG1 bash
    Crankbrothers 50/50 pedals
    Reverb post
    Lyrik RC2DH
    RP23

DH, switch for :
    deemax wheels
    boobars
    chromag 50mm stem
    36t chaingring
    RS Vivid air
    I thinks that's it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    can anyone compare the ride to any other compare able rides? such as an enduro, reign, meta, remedy.... I'm interested in the bike but I live in the midwest so my bike demos are pretty limited and mostly limited to the bikes my riding buddies have but I'm willing to take a risk, I just like to get as much info/reviews as possible.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got time on the Range, Reign, and Remedy, and a few other 6" bikes (Nomad, older generation Norcos), and I'd say that the Range is most similar to the Remedy, in terms of pedaling characteristics / ride quality.

While climbing, it's not a mushy pedaling bike but the suspension is pretty active under load compared to the Maestro setup that Giant uses or the VPP system that Santa Cruz and Intense use, and that's either a blessing or a curse, depending on your preference. It rips on descents, I have no real complaints about its capabilities there.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the reply, the geo looks much slacker then the remedy, are you refering to plat form and pedal bob/efficency when comparing to the remedy? So it doesn't have the pedaling efficency of the maestro.. if I understand it right? would you say it's your choice for an all around trail/all-m bike?

has anyone had any issues with the cable routing? I'm not a big fan of the routing under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    Thanks for the reply, the geo looks much slacker then the remedy, are you refering to plat form and pedal bob/efficency when comparing to the remedy? So it doesn't have the pedaling efficency of the maestro.. if I understand it right? would you say it's your choice for an all around trail/all-m bike?
    You're right about what I'm saying both in regards to platform and pedal bob on the Norco and the Remedy. My time was spent on an older version of the Remedy, which had a 160mm fork on it and had similar geo to the Range I demoed for a few weeks.

'Efficiency' is a tough thing to gauge, as one person's efficient system might be one that another hates because of the anti-squat build into it. If you're considering a regular Reign, the suspension does feel less active than the Norco and the Remedy, imo, and not that that's a bad thing -- I've owned multiple Trances over the years, and I thought they were great.

There are lots of great bikes in the 6" category and I'd honestly ride almost any of them. I liked the Range a lot and I liked the Remedy a lot. There's also the Slayer, Mojo, Nomad, Wilson.... They all have their own quirks, but they're all really such good options that you can't really lose.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks again for your reply, you are right there are so many great bikes in this catagory right now it is super hard to choose and they all get great reviews and there are equal amounts of lovers and haters on the forums that both make valid points, it's so difficult to choose and at that kind of money you or at least i can't just go buy a new one each year, its at least a couple year investment. i have a reign now and like it a lot. I rode an enduro and thought it wasn't as efficient of a pedaler but it felt really alive on the down hills. It was more of a dh bike that can climb where I think of the reign more so of an xc bike that can decend, if that makes sence. Maybe i'll get lucky and run into some on riding a range or walk into a bike shop someplace that will let me take one for a spin.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Thanks again for your reply, you are right there are so many great bikes in this catagory right now it is super hard to choose and they all get great reviews and there are equal amounts of lovers and haters on the forums that both make valid points, it's so difficult to choose and at that kind of money you or at least i can't just go buy a new one each year, its at least a couple year investment. i have a reign now and like it a lot. I rode an enduro and thought it wasn't as efficient of a pedaler but it felt really alive on the down hills. It was more of a dh bike that can climb where I think of the reign more so of an xc bike that can decend, if that makes sence. Maybe i'll get lucky and run into some on riding a range or walk into a bike shop someplace that will let me take one for a spin.
    I remember seeing a shop up in Duncan, Vancouver Island, British Colombia that was demo'ing a Range, but I'd understand if that was out of the way.

There's this technical climb in the local state park I ride. It's rather technical and I see more people walk there bike up it than I do see people ride all the way up. I've seen Cannondale XC bikes, Santa Cruz Nomad's, Heckler's, Butcher's, Nickel's, Specialized XC bikes, 29ers-all sorts of people just walking up it. Then again, I've also seen someone with a Specialized S-Works Enduro climbing it with dual crown forks and I saw a single-speed rigid bike climb it. So, the climbing ability of the "bike" seems to be more of the climbing ability of the rider. I can make the climb, but I really do believe it's more dependent on the rider. My bike doesn't give me any negative feedback while climbing, so I enjoy how it rides. The bike rips on descents. That is for damned certain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I feel you are 100% correct, and always feel that its the rider, not the bike in the majority of cases and that is why I take all pro/mag reviews with a grain of salt as they probably could rock a huffy just as well while it lasted. I am looking for that good all purpose do it all bike. My reign is solid but it doesn't quite have the geo I think that would be best, it's a bit noisy in the rearend, partly because of no ISCG tabs for a chain guide. This sounds like a solid contender for my type of riding. A lot of trail, some longer adventure rides, some steep, some prolonged climbs, as much DH as I can get here and some light park/jump use.
    Thanks again, I'm heading to whistler for my honey moon in early june so I might see if a bike shop up there has one to look at or maybe ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is anyone able to compare this bike to the RMB Slayer? they look very similar in agles/geo IMO correct me if i'm wrong but I was wondering what you thought of them, how the ride was different...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    It is funny that you bring up the slayer. When I was up in Courtenay, BC I saw a group of nearly a dozen riders. Half of then were on the range and the other half had a slayer. Everyone had ridden both and everyone seemed to have an equal appreciation. It was an interesting group

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    has anyone had any issues with the cable routing? I'm not a big fan of the routing under the down tube.
    Not so much on the down tube, but on the chainstay the cable runs underneath, and even with a Staitline Silent Guide, the cable housing has taken quite the beating. Plus the zap straps break once in a while from wear. Really wish the driveside chainstay was able to run internal routing.

Thanks again, I'm heading to whistler for my honey moon in early june so I might see if a bike shop up there has one to look at or maybe ride.
    Fanatyk Co. in Whistler Village had XTR equipped demos last year.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I love the way it feels and how it corners. This video is about two months old and I've progressed since it, but I love where I ride and I love what I ride.

Mountain biking Montana de Oro on Hazard Peak and Manzanita - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Not so much on the down tube, but on the chainstay the cable runs underneath, and even with a Staitline Silent Guide, the cable housing has taken quite the beating. Plus the zap straps break once in a while from wear. Really wish the driveside chainstay was able to run internal routing.

Fanatyk Co. in Whistler Village had XTR equipped demos last year.
    Routing wise, you can simply run the cables along the top tube, over the link then down to rear brake and mech. Worked well for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast