mtbr member
    May 2008

Norco Magnum - worth the price for a dj/light mtb bike? Compare to the Ryde?

I just got the pump track/DJ bug and gotta get a DJ bike. I could sell my around town hardtail to put the money towards a bike that I could dj and also ride around town and light mountain biking when I'm on road trips (when I dont wanna take my expensive full suspension bike). LBS has a Magnum which seems to have a decent DJ frame, but also 3x8 gears to get me around town. I like the fell of the bike and took it on a small pump track and it really corners well.

Then I tried the Ryde and it cornered even better, but no way I could ride it around town (way to slack, no gearing, etc).

I'm a 40+ yr old guy, so not gonna be hitting 20' gap jumps or doing back flips on the bike, just wanna rail through the pump track and hit the smaller jumps on the DJ track, then ride 5 miles home on the street and some single track. Both bikes are under $600 brand new, with great service at my LBS.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Bump - anyone have experience with either of these bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by hpcbmw View Post
    I just got the pump track/DJ bug and gotta get a DJ bike. I could sell my around town hardtail to put the money towards a bike that I could dj and also ride around town and light mountain biking when I'm on road trips (when I dont wanna take my expensive full suspension bike). LBS has a Magnum which seems to have a decent DJ frame, but also 3x8 gears to get me around town. I like the fell of the bike and took it on a small pump track and it really corners well.

Then I tried the Ryde and it cornered even better, but no way I could ride it around town (way to slack, no gearing, etc).

I'm a 40+ yr old guy, so not gonna be hitting 20' gap jumps or doing back flips on the bike, just wanna rail through the pump track and hit the smaller jumps on the DJ track, then ride 5 miles home on the street and some single track. Both bikes are under $600 brand new, with great service at my LBS.

What do you guys think?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?