Thread: Norco Fluid LT

Spin-stabilized

Norco Fluid LT

Anyone have any saddle time on this bike? I need an AM bike for epics and occassional light freeride. I have an aging fleet of mostly XC bikes and need a tough all-arounder that I can take to Moab (lots of tech climbing and descending) and the occassional gravity bike park.

I was thinking that the FLuid LT 3 is a good deal but not so sure about the durability (stays and welds in the rear triangle look whimpy) and rear tire mud clearance. I am also considering the Chumba XCL which looks burly but light enough for my intended use but is also at least $1000 more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!+
    `
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'm 160 lbs and have been riding a Fluid 1 and now a Fluid LT. I ride the bike pretty hard and have dropped it on the odd rock. The rear triangle is plenty strong. You can fit a 2.4 in the rear
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Spin-stabilized
    Can you put a water bottle in the front triangle with a DHX shock?

Can you run a qr seatpost clamp?

Is it bike-park worthy? Not talking big drops. Maybe 4-6" to tranny and small jumps occasionally (~1-3 times a year max).

How much rear tire clearance exactly with a 2.3 tire?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, this will be an online purchase (even local dealers don't stock them!) hence the barrage of questions.

mtbr member
    How tall are you? What kind of weight should the bike be? Budget? Just wondering if there is anything else I can suggest (not necessarily from us or anything) - always a shame seeing a complete bike bought online, you know, like if there are warranty issues or anything. I think Norco still has some in stock (depending on model and size). You could probably get a local shop to bring it in then you get warranty.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Can you put a water bottle in the front triangle with a DHX shock?

Can you run a qr seatpost clamp?

Is it bike-park worthy? Not talking big drops. Maybe 4-6" to tranny and small jumps occasionally (~1-3 times a year max).

How much rear tire clearance exactly with a 2.3 tire?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, this will be an online purchase (even local dealers don't stock them!) hence the barrage of questions.
    - You need a water bottle cage that's a high profile. Otherwise the reservoir on the DHX shock interferes with the water bottle. You can't put a big bottle in there. Only a small bottle. This is for a medium frame

- It comes stock with a QR/. The issue with the QR was resolved by redesigning the 2007 rear linkage

- Its bike park worthy for the use you described.

- I didn't measure the 2.3 tire clearance. Looks like maybe 1/2"- ie 1 cms on each side with a 2.35 Nevegal. Not a ton of clearance.

Spin-stabilized

appreciate the responses

I am a lightweight at 135 lbs, 5'10" so I've never broken a bike part/frame before because of my weight

I'm glad to know that it will at least take some sort of water bottle although I didn't know that there is more than one type of bottle cage. So I guess I should look for a high profile cage (not low profile?).

I did say 4-6" drops in my last post huh? I meant 4-6'. I hope that doesn't change things

Anyone wanna be a Comfortably Numb guide sometime on the week of June 23-27? I'm just afraid of riding a new epic trail alone, specially when there are cougars in the woods.

Thanks again!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    bailout. Some water bottle cages have the oval shaped holes which gives you some adjustment when you're putting the cage on the bike - they let you adjust up and down. I got one of those and adjusted the cage up and the bottle now doesn't get hit by the DHX. However, I can only use the small bottle on the medium frame.

I did a 4 footer and didn't bottom it out. I guess light bike park use will be ok. I'll certainly try it there.

I'm 155 lbs and 5'10" - hard to believe there's someone skinnier then me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Fluid LT1 - nice bike, I have been riding one since January. (Full disclosure, we sell Norco at our shops) LT2 is debatably better value - only a pound or so heavier and $1500 plus less than the LT1.
    Have ridden it in Fruita, Moab, extensively on North shore and it will see whistler/squamish and more adventures this season.
    Adjustable rear travel and resulting head angle is a nice feature. Set in forward hole on pivot for a bit less rear travel but a steeper head angle makes it a bit more XC. Rear hole gets 6" of travel and slackens it out for good fun in the park etc.
    As leel says, given your weight it will take some park landings no problem.

Only complaint is rear brake chatter, apparently is related to Juicy's, not the frame.

As an earlier poster said, these bikes are still in (somewhat limited) supply so you should be able to find an LBS that can order one in.
    Different Bikes
    www.differentbikes.ca