Thread: Norco Fluid

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Norco Fluid

I was wanted to hear experiences from fluid owners or people that have ridden them. I am looking at getting one and haven't had a chance to ride a fluid yet. I am going to get to a dealer but wondered how it compared to other bikes from other manufacturers. If you own one has the experience been good. I have never had a Norco and wondered what they were like as a manufacturer and what the general ride qualities of the bike are.

mtbr member
    I am curious to know too, the new Fluid LT for 2008 looks like a solid offering. Dont know much about it, but a very clean looking ride!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

I AM I AM
    Yes I never got to test ride the '06 one when I was in the market for a bike. It came in the final four on my list of (Kona Dawg, Norco Fluid, Giant Trance & Specialized FSR XC Comp). I ended up with the trance but really liked the quality of the fluid. In the end I discounted it probably due to the LBS it was at and also that I decided I didn't really need more than 4" of travel.

I did test ride the FSR XC and in my books if the seatpost adjustability and the value for money was better I probably would have walked away with that bike. Norco of course uses the FSR type linkage in their designs.

Here are some comments from an Aussie MTB Mag:
    Bike reviewed was a Norco Fluid1 Fox RP23 shock, Fox Float RL fork, 13kg (28.6lb), $3750 price tag.

Thumbs up for
    * Plush rear suspension
    *Relatively efficient pedalling
    * Value for money

Thubs Down for
    * Limited front travel
    *No room for a drink bottle
    *Paint scuffs quite easily

Overall they seemed to like the bike and it's performance in a variety of conditions (longer rides, and rocky rooty downhill runs etc) Only gripe was about the performance of the Fox fork (not getting full travel out of it).

I'm still impartial to Norco bikes, probably ever since I saw a Norco Nitro in a magazine back in '99. Hopefully I'll have a Norco Rampage at the beginning of next year.

Sorry I don't have the direct experience you're after but believe that they are a good manufacturer. On some Aussie forums they have quite a good reputation for afordable and bulletproof downhill hardtails in particular like Sasquach, Rampage, Manik etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the info - I am currently on a 2006 Fuel EX 8 and would like to step up to something with 5ish inches of travel. I would like it to roughly be around the same weight. The fluid does have a bit more travel but I may be able to get one at a steep discount (a friend knows someone who works for Norco) so I was just seeing what the opinions were.

The 2008 Fuel EX8 does look great too - I am not found of the colour though. It would be nice to support a canadian company if the fluid stacks up well against other bikes in the same class. I am going to have to take one out for a ride to be sure.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator

Good job!

LeeL (who also posts here) has a review on the 2007 Fluid 1 here (scroll down):
    http://www.northshoremountainbiking....ts34_06_07.php

He also has a review of the 2006 Fluid 1 here:
    http://www.northshoremountainbiking....ts21_04_06.php
    http://www.northshoremountainbiking....uid1_06_06.php

My wife built up a 2006 Fluid 1 this year, I've let her know about this thread so she can post her comments on the bike (she REALLY likes it).

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    My wife built up a 2006 Fluid 1 this year, I've let her know about this thread so she can post her comments on the bike (she REALLY likes it).
    Yes, I REALLY like my Fluid 1 Weighs in at 30 lbs with 5" of travel front and back. Have a Fox Talus RLC fork on it. The bike rides nice in all sorts of terrain, from smooth rolling singletrack to technical uphilll ascents to mucky PNW trails. One of the biggest differences I have found from my previous AM bike (KHS 504XC) is my climbing ability on technical stuff has improved a lot with the Fluid. It handles great, very nimble and maneuverable.

"El Whatever"
    Is there any chance to get a "frame only" Fluid??

Also, what's the shock size??

I have a bike built with decent parts and I have two shocks for it. The Fluid looks very nice... and a friend of mine has a Six and he hasn't had any kind of issues with it. Solid bike with right geometry... I'm looking for that on a frame.
    Check my Site

Spin-stabilized
    Can you use a qr seatpost clamp with the 08s or will it not clear the rockers?

How's the rear tire clearance?
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just got fluid 1.0. Rear tire clearance looks generous and it comes with a qr on the seatpost. Mine weighs in at 28.2 lbs, med frame, with tubes, totally stock.

trails aren't dry yet, but it feels great on the street and dirt roads!

mtbr member
    I'm riding a 2006 Fluid 2. I like it and never have had any problems with it. I ride mostly trails though. In fact the bike is overbuilt for how I ride. I've put over 3000kms on it and have done much too it in the way of upgrades so the stock parts are holding up also. I do know a lot of people stop and ask me about it and the general comments are "sweet bike!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Is there any chance to get a "frame only" Fluid??

Also, what's the shock size??

I have a bike built with decent parts and I have two shocks for it. The Fluid looks very nice... and a friend of mine has a Six and he hasn't had any kind of issues with it. Solid bike with right geometry... I'm looking for that on a frame.
    Norco Fluid one i2i 6.5x1.5"

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbp
    Norco Fluid one i2i 6.5x1.5"
    Mine is 200 mm eye-to-eye, 50 mm shaft travel... Norco Fluid 2, bought as frame only, model year 2008, frame size Medium. Original shock: Fox Float RP23. Shock now installed: Fox Vanilla R Propedal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Im riding an 08 fluid 1 and loving it.
    Only changes i am making are the tires getting something a bit wider than the stock 2.1 will probably go 2.35.
    Quick question does anyone know exactly what the 2 sets of holes in the rear shock linkage do? i guess they change the geometry and perhaps add or lower the travel.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teburculoses
    Quick question does anyone know exactly what the 2 sets of holes in the rear shock linkage do? i guess they change the geometry and perhaps add or lower the travel.
    Yes, the holes in the rocker arm are there to change rear wheel travel. According to Norco site, the ones closer to the rocker pivot make for 143 mm travel. They also make for increased leverage on the shock, and I think it is because of this 143 mm travel capacity that the chainstays are this long (as compared to Stumpjumper FSR, Epiphany and the like).

The holes further away from rocker pivot provide 116 mm of travel, which is what I'm invariably running. I think that the 143 mm option is there mainly for the user to try and adapt the bike for downhill stuff, of which I have none around to speak about.

In any case, my next aim in FS bikes is a certain VPP style linkage short travel one. It is also Canadian designed.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sweet i will have to change from 116 to 143 mm of travel and see how it works i'll post up and when ive done it.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho
    According to Norco site, the ones closer to the rocker pivot make for 143 mm travel. They also make for increased leverage on the shock, and I think it is because of this 143 mm travel capacity that the chainstays are this long (as compared to Stumpjumper FSR, Epiphany and the like). The holes further away from rocker pivot provide 116 mm of travel, which is what I'm invariably running.
    Huh, I thought it was the other way around. Can't find much info on the Norco site. I'm liking my Fluid more and more as I get the rear end dialed - coming from a hardtail I really noticed the long rear end, but it tracks well and is pretty stiff so no real complaints.

I think that the 143 mm option is there mainly for the user to try and adapt the bike for downhill stuff, of which I have none around to speak about.
    I'm going to try switching it up the next time I can do a few laps on the same run. Maybe this thing WILL handle the Whistler bike park

BTW I got mine (08) as a Frame and shock for 600 on a factory blowout, I hear Norco is still in heavy liquidation mode. No problem with clearance on the seat post QR, but I'm running a 2.3 (Tioga Factory DH, so it's a "big" 2.3) in the back, there's not much clearance and I get chain rub in the granny gears

_
    Mar 2004
    i picked up a used 2008 fluid lt2 and i love the way the bike feels and performs except for the insane vibration harmonics going on while under rear braking. going to take it to my LBS to see about warrantying the rear triangle. word has it that it is a common occurance with those frames and they swap them out for square tapered piece, rather than round.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a 08 Fluid 3, the only complaint I have is there is no way to fit a big water bottle on the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    apparently the 09 fluid can take a 2.5" tire in the back no problem. . .

mtbr member
    Yes, the holes in the rocker arm are there to change rear wheel travel. According to Norco site, the ones closer to the rocker pivot make for 143 mm travel. They also make for increased leverage on the shock, and I think it is because of this 143 mm travel capacity that the chainstays are this long (as compared to Stumpjumper FSR, Epiphany and the like).

The holes further away from rocker pivot provide 116 mm of travel, which is what I'm invariably running. I think that the 143 mm option is there mainly for the user to try and adapt the bike for downhill stuff, of which I have none around to speak about.

In any case, my next aim in FS bikes is a certain VPP style linkage short travel one. It is also Canadian designed.
    Thats the way my bike is set up also. Only on mine its in inches 4.2" and 5.3" I've moved it back and forth a few time but for my riding style the 4.2" seem sot e better.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Mountain Bike Action had a good review of the Fluid 1 in its latest issue.
    I'm riding a 2006 Fluid 2 and love it.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any reviews for the 2012 Fluid LX?
    Thanks.