mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Norco charger 9.2 front derailler issue

I bought a Norco charger 9.2, love the bike, I have it in a 21.5 frame, brought it home went for a ride everything was great, last weekend I was getting ready to go camping so I checked the bikes for tire pressure and I had less than 20lbs in my back tire so I topped it up to 35lbs, here is the weird part, now my tire hits on the front derailler........long story short the bike is back at the bike shop and they have tried 4 different deraillers with the same problem, the bike shop got a hold of their norco rep and I guess they have had a few like this not sure if it is only the 21.5 frames or not as the bike shop had a 19" frame charger 9.1 with the same front derailler and about 3/8" clearance...

Has anyone else had any issues with norco Chargers?
    Last edited by novascotiahunter; 05-30-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: changeing title

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Norco Charger 9.2 front dérailleur fix

Hey novascotiahunter,

Know you posted back in April...but hope this helps you or anyone else considering buying the Norco charger 9.2 (or the other chargers in the range).
    I purchased a Norco Charger 9.2 (21.5 frame) and only when I took it on a pretty tough XC track did I notice that the front derailleur started to rub against the back tyre (same problem as you detailed). It got worse the next ride I took.
    Naturally I took it back to the store and the bike mechanic there instantly recognised it as a fault (something told me that they had had the same problem before). He got on to the phone with the Norco rep for Sydney, Australia. The bike mechanic told me that this was a definite fault with the bike and within days the bike was fitted with a new Shimano Altus dérailleur which is mounted to the side rather than between the frame and back tyre (as it was a fault, this was done free of charge). Now it's awesome to ride!
    I think this bike is an excellent ride for a hard tail 29er. I have been reliably informed by people I ride with (who have been riding many years) that the set up on this bike is excellent for the price; with the exception of the derailleur problem.

My advise for anyone...If you have bought a Norco Charger 9.2, or are thinking of buying one, the front derailleur rubbing against the back tyre is a real issue. Getting it replaced with a side mounted dérailleur is not an unreasonable ask, as I'm pretty sure bikes were not designed to have derailleur and wheel rubbing against each other. The clearance between tyre and derailleur on the charger 9.2 is minuscule and if you're planning on taking it on some trails, it becomes even more of an issue (tyre rub + mud/dirt starting to clog up in between when it's even slightly wet).

Short of it - good bike, excellent to ride, but the derailleur needs to be mounted on the side of the frame. In fact the Norco Charger series (and many other 29ers I seen in shops) seem to have a very small clearence between tyre and derailleur when mounted on the inside of the frame.

I'll certainly be on the look out for this issue when purchasing in the future!
    Last edited by AUS_MTB_newbie; 09-06-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added info

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    yes I had mine fixed also, took it back to the bike shop and they were lost as to what was up so they got a hold of the Norco rep and they sent a new shimino deore FD-M591-10 derailleur, lots of clearance now, it seems to be more issues with the 21.5 frame, I looked at a 20" and 18" charger that had lots of clearance, I do love the bike fits me nice and I love the 29"er, the only thing that pissed me off was I had no paint left where the scratched it all off putting on different derailleurs trying to find one that worked, they are sending me touch up paint but I haven't seen it yet.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Paint job on Norco charger.

Yep, agreed novascotiahunter... Not the most durable of paint jobs. Mine has several chips and scratches, to be fair though, I have taken the bike on some pretty full on XC tracks and have had a cpl of falls (last one I broke my shoulder and had to have a shoulder reconstruction. Out for up to 6 months). Alas, paint seems a little weak compared to the powder coat jobs of other bikes that my mates ride.

But enough of the complaining, couldn't agree more you, love the bike after the derailleur fix. Overall, has stood up to some pretty rough treatment and I feel I got an excellent MTB for the price.

Let me know how the touch up paint goes.