Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norco Aurum

Off the back...

Norco Aurum

Anyone got a Norco Aurum or some saddle time on one? Impressions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    NSMB had a write up about a month ago, as does the current issue of decline, both like it a lot.

I have a frame on order, should be in mid Feb, never rode it but it has everything I am looking for geometry wise

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I covered Norco's most recent product launch for mtbr up at Whistler and was really impressed by the Aurum too.

Kind of a rehash of the press material with some pics:
    2012 Norco Aurum | Mountain Bike Review

My first ride impressions:
    2012 Norco Revolver, Sight and Aurum – First Ride Impressions | Mountain Bike Review | Page 3

It was a ton of fun in the park. I rode it all day and didn't really stop for pics.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

Off the back...
    Thanks guys, I missed the Decline review - I'll go check it out.

brandisher of chainsaws
    it's def a sweet bike

Sniper
    Getting one, but still snowed in here in AK. Norco is definitely Back!
    Cheers!
    Canondale 2010 Rz-120-3
    Norco 2012 Aurum 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Got my frameset last week. Was pleasantly to surprised to find a Cane creek double barrel and anlgleset as standard equipment, comes with a seatpost too. Great deal IMO

Soooooo stoked!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post
    Got my frameset last week. Was pleasantly to surprised to find a Cane creek double barrel and anlgleset as standard equipment, comes with a seatpost too. Great deal IMO

Soooooo stoked!
    How's that working out?

mtbr member
    It's kind of dead on this board so I thought I would post some pictures of my Aurum. They are not all that exciting as it is 100% stock. These are the pre-ride pics. Rest assured it does have dirt on it now.

I am pretty happy with it so far. It is more of a play bike than a plow bike. It corners well without the BB being so low that I have to be hyper attentive to pedal strikes. It is plenty stable yet not bad in tighter stuff. The suspension curve is dialed and it pedals really well. I do wish there was more seat post adjustment but that is the only knock so far.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Off the back...
    Nice. How are the wheels? Random question, but I was thinking of using those rims on another build...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Beautiful! I'm interested in one of these, or the Truax, but am leaning on the Aurum lately. Hoping to try riding one first, but it's good to hear that it retains some twitchiness instead of being a complete bull. Honestly, I like some spring in my step.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Nice. How are the wheels? Random question, but I was thinking of using those rims on another build...
    They seem fine. I didn't build the wheels or I would be able to give you much better feedback. They are true, round and the tension is even so I assume they built up fine. They seem pretty stiff for the weight.

It's funny. People rave about the flows which are made by Sun but the Sun branded rims kind of get overlooked. I prefer the Suns because they have eyelets and ones I have built in the past have built up well.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Beautiful! I'm interested in one of these, or the Truax, but am leaning on the Aurum lately. Hoping to try riding one first, but it's good to hear that it retains some twitchiness instead of being a complete bull. Honestly, I like some spring in my step.
    The manager of the shop where I got my bike has a Truax and it is really nice. It is light for the amount of travel and it is supposed to pedal really well. If you pedal up the Truax would be a better choice but I would take an Aurum for pure gravity stuff. The Truax has much better seat post adjustability.
    - Albert Einstein

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I have a 2011 Range 3 that is built up rather nicely and it's beginning to feel like I'd rather have something like the Aurum as it leans on the downhill aspect quite thoroughly. Having the Truax would serve as a beautiful intermediate between the two, but I feel like I may end up wanting more-and that would be the Aurum. Looks pretty, you should post some more pictures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's my Truax.

This is, by far, the most fun bike I have ever ridden, and in the past season I have been on bikes ranging from XC hardtail up to full-on 8" travel DH race bikes, and everything in between.

It has the stability of a downhill bike (due to a decently long wheelbase and a nice slack head angle, yet, still retains a decently steep seat angle that makes it really nice (geo wise) for climbing.

I have had it on everything from my traditional XC loops to north Van trails such as Ladies Only, Oil Can, CBC/Neds/Pingu/Empress. I have also had it on some machine built jump trails. Also on some interior BC fast big mountain trails.

Every ride, every new trail I ride, the bike reinforces to me that it is truly a "one-bike-does-it-all" kind of ride. Granted, I put on a dropper post and an air rear shock, which are both necessities if you want to climb this bike or do more AM with it.

While the Aurum is an amazing bike, unless you are planning to dedicate yourself to DH and park, you're overkilling it. I have ridden my Truax on everything I did my DH bike, and while the Truax lacked some of the high-speed stability, it out-performed the DH bike in every other regard, especially those tight/twitchy trails. Also, if you have to climb/pedal to your trails, then forget the Aurum... you'll hate your life, and I guarantee that it doesn't out-perform the Truax on the descents enough (if at all, depending on the type of ride you like) to justify having a dedicated DH bike over the Truax.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. The fact that you have a Range tells me you like to do some climbing/AM riding, and jumping to the Aurum from the Range, bypassing the Truax, would be a big mistake, IMO, and you'll be selling yourself quite short. Plus, the Truax is rated for double crown forks, so if you really want that extra 20mm of travel, and the extra degree slackness of head angle (which, I can assure you is not necessary until you're riding big mountain/long descents (40 minutes plus) that requires the travel to smooth out the ride.

Just my two cents...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Aurum-truax.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just want to add, though, that my post should, by no means, imply that I don't think the Aurum is a good bike... quite the opposite, it is an AMAZING bike. But it is a dedicated DH bike, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you plan to do ANY climbing on anything more than a fire-road, don't bother.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    This section of Southern California has some diverse trails and the Range has been serving it all very well so far. There definitely are a lot of trails that do require you to earn your turn by climbing, and for those trails the Range has been perfect-but it's the other trails, the rock gardens and little-known tracks that I'm after. Plus for the days that I do intend to hit up parks. I had not been able to find information on whether or not the Truax was dual crown compatible, so that's good to hear-anymore info on that? I'll probably be waiting until I can try riding both. Probably have to make another trip up to BC

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think the Truax would be the perfect bike for you. It's got great park performance too.

As for the dual crown compatibility, it has the same headtube assembly/construction as the Aurum, although the Aurum is obviously more beefed up.
    Last edited by bigmike9699; 05-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Any word on what a Range would be like with one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The range most definitely is not rated for a double crown.

I was trying to find where I saw that the Truax was rated for a double crown, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So while I've seen alot of Truax's with a dual crown, I'd wait for sure (warranty wise) to check with a Norco rep...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The local shop owner has a Truax with 888RC3Ti and CCBDAir.

Off the back...
    Finally!

conjoinicorned
    Finally!
    umm sweet dude!!

was the EG just not cutting it at moose?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    umm sweet dude!!

was the EG just not cutting it at moose?
    Under a more skilled rider, the El Guapo would probably do great, but I am not so skilled. Hence, we have an appropriate level of compensation.

conjoinicorned
    Under a more skilled rider, the El Guapo would probably do great, but I am not so skilled. Hence, we have an appropriate level of compensation.
    i bought my first "big" bike (i.e. >6" travel) this year and gotta admit, these old bones are loving the cush

that is a sweet ride, see ya out there!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast