Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Old guy on old Bike
    Reputation: Guru Zeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8

    NORCO 4by4 02 reliable frame weight ????

    Hi crew
    Got a chance to buy a 2002 Norco 4by4 cheap, but am a bit put off by some quotes of full builds at 42Ibs with a SC fork?!?!?

    Can anyone give me a reliable bare frame weight, no shock.

    thanks in advance
    zeb
    Last edited by Guru Zeb; 01-23-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    Old guy Old Bike ... Still dodging pine trees !!!

  2. #2
    Old guy on old Bike
    Reputation: Guru Zeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8
    come on some one must have some idea, thought this was Canadian bikes section ?!?!?!?!?
    Old guy Old Bike ... Still dodging pine trees !!!

  3. #3
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,571
    So? There are a LOT of canadian brand bikes...except for weight weenies most don't buy bikes and strip them down to weigh the frames and that's unlikely to be the case with people buying a norco 4x4.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  4. #4
    Old guy on old Bike
    Reputation: Guru Zeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8
    Well thanks for that ............. not really much use as a reply ........ but thanks.

    I certainly wouldn't call myself a weight weenie.

    But i would like to be certain that i can build a 4" 4X frame+SCs up to weight less than
    my 8" 05 Demo8 with 03 Super T pros on it.
    As i have seen 4by4s full builds online quoted at 42Ibs with SC forks, whats what my demo weighs dood !!!!!
    Demo will weigh less than that when my Travis Triple Intrinsics arrive.

    Am not a big rider 5'9" 155-160Ibs i ride my rigs 6-7miles sometimes to and from local tracks and runs and also All Mountain them as we have great AM terrain where i live ( UK West Yorkshire )
    So weight is an issue with all my builds.

    Wanted a super low flicky F/R D/H frame to be my 1st SC fork build since the 90s, Always a big Norco fan, so the 4by4 came up cheap and seemed ideal.

    Just wanted a ballpark figure on the frame weight, someone must have an idea

    Why is it so unlikely that anyone ever weighed a 4by4 frame, do they get bought and sold as stock full builds on the 2nd hand market in USA and Canada ??

    Someone must have raced one and weighed the frame ?????
    Old guy Old Bike ... Still dodging pine trees !!!

  5. #5
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Guru Zeb
    As i have seen 4by4s full builds online quoted at 42Ibs with SC forks, whats what my demo weighs dood !!!!!
    So what... a single-crown fork can be great many things... the 4" travel Marzocchi DirtJumper forks are about SEVEN pounds yet a 4" Rockshox Reba Race is about 3.5 pounds. That's a pretty wide weight range for forks which both have the same travel and both have 32mm stanchion diameters. And what about ALL THE OTHER parts on the bike??!? They all add up. Use heavy parts all around and it doesn't matter how light the frame is, you're going to get a heavy bike as the result. You could get a couple pounds difference just in TUBE weights between two otherwise identical "appearing" DH bicycles.

    I've seen bike brands in canada spec heavy puncture-resistant tubes that weighed a good pound and a half each on all-mountain/XC full suspension bikes when a basic half pound DH tube would have been overkill as is. So right there, two pounds extra weight the bicycle didn't need to have when new.

    Wanted a super low flicky F/R D/H frame to be my 1st SC fork build since the 90s, Always a big Norco fan, so the 4by4 came up cheap and seemed ideal.
    So buy it and then weigh it.

    Just wanted a ballpark figure on the frame weight, someone must have an idea
    More than 5, less than 9.

    Why is it so unlikely that anyone ever weighed a 4by4 frame, do they get bought and sold as stock full builds on the 2nd hand market in USA and Canada ??

    Someone must have raced one and weighed the frame ?????
    Because outside of canada its a basically unknown model and since they're not sold as a frame-only, people racing them tend to get them complete. And if they happen to not break it and then sell it used years later, they probably couldn't be bothered to weigh them first. Its hard enough getting people selling used frames to even list the SIZE with it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  6. #6
    Old guy on old Bike
    Reputation: Guru Zeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    So what... a single-crown fork can be great many things... the 4" travel Marzocchi DirtJumper forks are about SEVEN pounds yet a 4" Rockshox Reba Race is about 3.5 pounds. That's a pretty wide weight range for forks which both have the same travel and both have 32mm stanchion diameters. And what about ALL THE OTHER parts on the bike??!? They all add up. Use heavy parts all around and it doesn't matter how light the frame is, you're going to get a heavy bike as the result. You could get a couple pounds difference just in TUBE weights between two otherwise identical "appearing" DH bicycles.

    I've seen bike brands in canada spec heavy puncture-resistant tubes that weighed a good pound and a half each on all-mountain/XC full suspension bikes when a basic half pound DH tube would have been overkill as is. So right there, two pounds extra weight the bicycle didn't need to have when new..
    Wow you don't say components have weight, i'd never have guessed that, and some weigh different amounts amazing.
    Am 42 and been biking and building since the 80s so i'd suggest you save that kind of advice above for the kids you must be used to talking to.

    Doesn't it kinda stand to reason that if am asking about frame weight i would deliberately spec lightish components for the rest of my build.


    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    So buy it and then weigh it.
    Is'nt this slightly illogical comment ( Not your 1st it has to be said ) since the purpose of me asking about the frame weight was to check the weight prior to buying it.
    Thought i'd made that not fairly implicit in my initial post
    I know Americans ( Continentally speaking ) don't think quite like use Brits but surely basic human logic is the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    More than 5, less than 9.
    The most useful comment you've made, narrowing it down a bit would have been better


    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Because outside of canada its a basically unknown model and since they're not sold as a frame-only, people racing them tend to get them complete. And if they happen to not break it and then sell it used years later, they probably couldn't be bothered to weigh them first. Its hard enough getting people selling used frames to even list the SIZE with it.
    Problem in UK is getting the kids to list the cracks in the frame and realize you can't test a coil shock with the spring on it

    Ok am done with this, am buying it anyways, it is cheap $200- with Van R shock, if its too heavy i'll move it on.

    Just one last question m8.
    Do you despise weight weenies ??
    Old guy Old Bike ... Still dodging pine trees !!!

  7. #7
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,571
    You really are new here aren't you?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  8. #8
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    i would have to say the frame weight without shock would be 7-8lbs...even at that weight u could build one up to mid 30's lbs...and of course u could go lighter...if u can get a good deal on the frame then why not just ask whoevers frame u are looking at to weigh it???...that's the easiest solution....or email/call norco and ask them

    DeeEight helped u out considerably....maybe try sincerely thanking people that try to help u out next time
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •