mtbr member

Looking for a new XC bike from Norco?

I have about 800-900 dollars to spend a new xc bike from norco and i am unsure of what one to get, but i do like the shore hardtail series but i am unsure of their uses and if they would be uncomfortable for xc? I could use some help, thanks
    Bikes

~2007 Giant STP SS~
    -Rocky Mountain Element 10-

dreaming of bottlerockets
    The shore hardtail series is overbuilt, and while pedalable you will definitely suffer in the climbs due to the weight and geometry. You can pedal anything with a granny but ask yourself: how much do you like the suffer for the awesome downhills?

Keep in mind the MSRP of the lowest-end Wolverine (Norco website) is out of your budget.

If you are going to beat the crap out of it (DJ/'shore/and trails), get a shore hardtail. If you're in Canada you can probably find a good deal on an '07 or '06 on Pinkbike.com because that line is very popular. Sometimes you can find ones that have been used for only a handful of rides.

If you already have a Giant STP, a shore hardtail will not be a very different bike. It will feel sluggish and less flickable on the trails, while you WILL notice the weight difference on an XC bike, and it will climb better.

Get a Norco Charger if you want a significantly different bike. If you can get an '07 Giant Iguana on closeout, get that instead. The spec is waaay better for an entry level bike.

You can compare prices/component specs on bikes in a similar price range if you have several LBSs to choose from.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IrOn_MaN
    I have about 800-900 dollars to spend a new xc bike from norco and i am unsure of what one to get, but i do like the shore hardtail series but i am unsure of their uses and if they would be uncomfortable for xc? I could use some help, thanks
    Get a Storm or a Charger (same frame on the Storm, Charger, Nitro and Fireball, just different parts spec). Norco's just gone back to more XC-friendly geometry on the Storm and its brethren (after the slacker and burlier 06 and 07 models) and the parts spec is good for the cost.

The Shore series won't climb well, it's too burly and slack, set up for descending and drops not climbing.

I rather wish I could swap my 06 Storm frame for an 08. Much rather have the lighter, steeper geometry of the current Storm.