_
    Mar 2004

INSANE frame vibration under hard braking (rear)

I have an 08 Fluid LT2 with Avid Juicy 5's with 185mm rotors. I only have two rides on the bike but have noticed under hard braking the frame really vibrates violently, with a loud WAAAAAUUUUNT type sound and it literally can be felt throughout the frame. If you are sitting down on your seat, it will tickle your man parts.

I havent checked the rear pads yet but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I thought I remembered reading this was an issue when I read a review of this bike in an NSMB article.

Any thoughts/solutions?

mtbr member
    Check out this thread on the brake forum

mmm
    I guess call Norco for replacement arms?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2017423&postcount=11
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yup, they will replace it with a square tubed arm. Been done many times and is not an issue for them.

_
    Mar 2004
    nice, i will call up norco!

_
    Mar 2004
    update, i called up norco and spoke with luke. he advised me to have my lbs take a peak, and if infact they find something to be ovalized, have the lbs call up norco and then they'll deal with the problem.

***another update,

i called norco back to inquire about upper shock mounting hardware that we know are notorious for stripping (and are pretty much stripped on my bike); two small allen bolts. i asked if they could send me two new ones at my cost, 'i'm not allowed to send them to customers, just shops' is what i was told. FAIL! i will check out my local ace that i can walk/bike to and see if they have anything that will work. pretty weak on norco's behalf that they can't send out two tiny stinkin' bolts that are known to strip.
    Last edited by bdee; 03-12-2009 at 02:33 PM.

_
    Mar 2004
    took the bike to my LBS, they scuffed my rotor, cleaned it with alcohol, aligned the caliper and put in avid organic pads....the WAAAAAAAAUNT and ball tickling still continues. looks like my next step is to have them deal with Norco on a potential new rear triangle...

_
    Mar 2004
    UPDATE!

my LBS (The Path Bike Shop) took great care of me. my new square tapered seat stay came in on saturday and i picked it up yesterday. i haven't put it on yet but will do so soon and will post up a review soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    update, i called up norco and spoke with luke. he advised me to have my lbs take a peak, and if infact they find something to be ovalized, have the lbs call up norco and then they'll deal with the problem.

***another update,

i called norco back to inquire about upper shock mounting hardware that we know are notorious for stripping (and are pretty much stripped on my bike); two small allen bolts. i asked if they could send me two new ones at my cost, 'i'm not allowed to send them to customers, just shops' is what i was told. FAIL! i will check out my local ace that i can walk/bike to and see if they have anything that will work. pretty weak on norco's behalf that they can't send out two tiny stinkin' bolts that are known to strip.
    The idea being that your LBS should also install the bolts and then you have no further come back on the company with that issue, or an issue relating to the improper instalation of the bolts.
    Your LBS should also be installing your new chainstays for you , no charge!

mtbr member
    could be the juicy 5's

happened to my friend on all three of his bikes
    avoid Manitou forks at all costs... they have no souls...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    do you know if Norco will replace the rear triangle on a used frame? i would not be the original owner, and there are no dealers near me.