Thread: Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bigfoot

I am getting one of these bad boys for sure, who else is getting a big wheeled monster? I should be getting it in October just in time for the wet season and lots of mud then comes the snow ohhh I can hardly wait.

deez nuts
    Myself and two friends just ordered 3 of them up last week. We were told early December-ish. Apparently they can't keep them in stock. Not sure if that means the first batch is spoken for by dealers or what. I don't think anyone actually has one yet do they?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My dealer ordered 8 but is only getting 4, I think they are selling way better than they thought they would. At 1500 they are half the price of anyones fatbikes with same specs. The bikes are awesome for the price.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My local shop just got one in today with a few more on the way, rides surprisingly light & fast and it was pretty amusing how we could monster truck it right over a curb without even feeling it. It also wheelies really well from what I saw (I can't wheelie if my life depended on it), one of the shop guys says it just hangs there once you find the balance point. Looking forward to doing some real trail rides on it next week, should be fun!

mtbr member
    got mine last week love it
    does everything well
    great bang for your buck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bigfoot-img_0003_2.jpg  

biking makes it better

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have 2 available. One medium and one large. The medium is at the shop and the large is due any time. These are the only 2 we will get for the year. billygoatbikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Loving my Bigfoot, swapped out the stock tires for a Surly Bud front and Nate rear, excellent traction.

So much fun you'll forget it's winter.

Bigfoot-1474655_10151817518143388_1871455494_n.jpg
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What are the biggest tires you can fit on the Bigfoot? 4.8" - is there enough clearance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Front can easily take a 4.8", rear I think 4. 2"-ish on 80mm... I'm running a Surly Nate 3.8" in the back and looks like chain clearance would become an issue if I were to go much wider...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    I put nates on front and back running the back one in opposite rotation for more bite works great..really impressed....
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had to wait till now but I got it, pick it up tonight, I am so excited and I see everyone is swaping out the tires for the surly Nates, that much of an improvement?
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The stock V Rubber is marginal at best in the snow.

I'm going for a Bud/Nate combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What about the 45NRTH dillanger studed tire? Seems like a good idea, no tire is good on ice and I would hate to crash hard becasue of an icy root. Anyone use these or are they overkill? I used to stud my own tires with screws 20 years ago for MTB winter riding nad it really helped but with these super wide tires will I see any benifit per price point as they are pretty exspensive.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member

Bigfoot'n Durham Forest

Great day for a ride today conditions were great. Every time I ride these Nates I am more impressed. I am running the rear backwards and although I am not sure exactly the psi I am running. I seem to have found the sweet spot for thru adding and releasing air. Apologies for double post of pics also on Daily Fatbike Pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bigfoot-image.jpg  

Bigfoot-image.jpg  

Bigfoot-image.jpg  

Bigfoot-image.jpg  

biking makes it better

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Awesome bike - bad tires

Bigfoot-1604878_705473129485333_912698211_n.jpg
    Bigfoot-8592_705473112818668_1617880426_n.jpg
    Good to know that the Nate / Bud combo works well. Ready for some more traction in the snow!
    Road the Bigfoot on a solid 25 mile ride - snow caked fire roads, technical singletrack, dirt fire road, and everything in between.
    What a great value. I am glad that it is cheap because now I have to spend another $300 on new rubber.
    Fun geometry - you can rally it on some techy moves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes I had mine out last weekend and found the same thing, awesome bike but the tires are just not meant for snow. I got a Nate for the front last night and have to wait another week or so for more to come in so I can get a rear. Other than the tires randomly slipping out I had a great ride, was a little tougher than I thought it would be and to be truthful I sat on my ass since the fall and did a big ride for the first one. I was beat when I got back to the car but I still had a smile on my frozen face LOL.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Will Clown Shoes Fit A Bigfoot???

Went on another ride today with the stock tires.... I am a total noob in the snow, and am not really sure what wider tires will do - but I think I want to go bigger. Not just bigger tires, but more contact patch and wider rims.

Think you could fit Clown Shoes on the Bigfoot? I know you can't get a Bud 4.8 on the back, but if you had a wider rim that would stretch out the tire more, wonder if it would work. Anyone tried this?

I could care less about weight - this bike is for off season training - heavier wheels will benefit me when I jump on the carbon hardtail in May.
    Thinking Clown Shoes are the way to go if they fit...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Maybe try just different tires than dropping a ton of cash on new rims, I bought nates for mine, well a nate the other should be in tomorrow and going out this weekend to test them. I did replace those brakes with some XT I got off of pinkbike, I love Sram shifting but their brakes suck ass, under powered and the turkey warble is deafening.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    fahza29er is right I am sure the contact patch being bigger is a plus but start with the tires I put on a set of Nates after my first snow ride. The back one mounted backwards the front mounted forward. once you find the sweet spot for psi you will be amazed at the difference in traction........heck another plus is the increased rolling resisdence on the big treads will help with that winter training
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bigfoot-image.jpg  

Bigfoot-image.jpg  

biking makes it better

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well after trying and trying and not being able to get another nate for the rear I bought a Bud put it up front and put the nate on the rear, going for a ride tomorrow and we shall see how this all works. Oh put some new flats on it as well, the clipless was working but when the snow got deep and I had to hike a bike the damn things iced up and I had ice balls on the bottom of my feet. Bought a nice digital air gauge so I can tweak the air pressure accurately instead of just guessing. One thing is very interesting after working on this bike and riding it now all my normal MTB tires look so small, it'sad really they look so insignificant.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY