mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2002 Norco drop lightweight trailbike??

I just found this forum here on MTBR......cool! My very first full suspension bike was, and still is, a 2002 Norco Drop. I love the bike, but am now thinking of getting something lighter. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't want to cooperate. My Drop weighs 38 lbs on the bathroom scale with mostly stock components. What are the chances of loosing 8 lbs or so by upgrading components? I'm thinking I could lose a significant chunk by swapping the coil rear shock with an RP23, and the DJ fork for something lighter, and then possibly some lighter wheels. Not sure if it's worth it. I don't suppose anyone knows the weight of the Drop / Launch frame?

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    I think attempting to lighten the Drop may not make the best financial sense. It's a fairly burly freeride rig though by today's standards it's reasonably tame angle-wise (67.5 ha/68 sa) but it is certainly not light. It came stock with Hayes HFX brakes & 8" rotors, Sun Single Track rims, Formula 20mm hubs, Kenda Kinetic 2.6/2.35 tires, etc, etc.
    I'd say if you like it, hang on to it and spring for something lighter when funds are available.