mtbr member
    May 2006

Would MCR make a better steel SS?

Given all of the issues riders seem to have with the Niner biocentric ebb, would it make sense for someone who wanted to build a Niner steel SS bike to get an MCR rather than a SIR and use the Forward Components ebb, even though you would need to modify the bb shell?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I guess no one has any thoughts on this. I'm a little worried by all the stories I've heard of problems with the biocentric ebb, but its seems a little wild to be trying to shave a lot of material off the bb shell of a new expensive frame. Niner and Specialized are the only companies I know of that make 29er frames with both a low bb and a decent length ht in the 21" size (Vassago thinks tall people love super extended steerer tubes?). Specialized doesn't make an steel frame, but I've read nothing but positive reports on their pinch bolt ebb, so perhaps I should just go with their alloy frame. Trouble is finding a rigid fork for it. The cool thing about Niners is that they make color matching rigid forks with an ac that matches the geometry the frame was designed for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You could use the Forward components EBB on the MCR9 as long as you have a crankset that is compatible with it. That said, when the Niner Bio-centric EBB directions are followed exactly there is not usually an issue with creaking. As with any EBB system care has to be taken during installation and skipping steps can have adverse effects.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Forward Components EBB is made for a 68MM BB. It might fit with some modification.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!