Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Twin Six METAL Team

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO

Brown Santa dropped off the first parts of my winter project yesterday! I'll be building this up over the next few months, and hope to have it on the trail by the first weekend in March!

The (medium) frame, as most of you already know, is a work of art! I threw it on my (Park Tool) scale last night, and it weighed in a 2.5 pounds. Wow! I knew it was light, but I was honestly expecting it to be little heavier!

I'll post updates and pics (and probably stupid questions) as I get it built up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-486254_10200368759128448_1072948151_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Brown Santa dropped off the first parts of my winter project yesterday! I'll be building this up over the next few months, and hope to have it on the trail by the first weekend in March!

The (medium) frame, as most of you already know, is a work of art! I threw it on my (Park Tool) scale last night, and it weighed in a 2.5 pounds. Wow! I knew it was light, but I was honestly expecting it to be little heavier!

I'll post updates and pics (and probably stupid questions) as I get it built up!
    How can you wait until March? I built my licorice RDO up on Halloween & I've got nearly 400 miles on it now. THE most grin inducing bike I've ever owned. You will love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-2012-11-04-14.17.43.jpg  

Last edited by bridger; 11-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm looking at an Air9 RDO build myself, so I'll have to follow your build and see if I can learn anything Do you already know exact specs you'll go with, or still researching parts?

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    How can you wait until March? I built my licorice RDO up on Halloween & I've got nearly 400 miles on it now. THE most grin inducing bike I've ever owned. You will love it!
    Nice looking bike! I'm just taking my time with it...and trying to stay in the green with the boss. I still have two other mountain bikes to ride in the meantime! I can't wait to get it built up though! I demo'd one a few months ago, and couldn't believe how great the ride was. And the acceleration felt like my road bike.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I'm looking at an Air9 RDO build myself, so I'll have to follow your build and see if I can learn anything Do you already know exact specs you'll go with, or still researching parts?
    Yep! Here's how I will be building it up. I've already received the frame, bar, stem, and saddle. The post, fork, and grips are currently on the way. I'll slowly acquire the rest of the parts over the next couple of months.

FRAME: Niner Air 9 RDO
    FORK: Rock Shox SID XX
    RIMS: Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29er
    HUBS: DT Swiss 240s
    TIRE - FRONT: Maxxis IKON
    TIRE - REAR: Maxxis IKON
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XX1
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: N/A
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM XX1
    CRANKS: SRAM XX1
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Truvativ PF30 Ceramic
    CASSETTE: SRAM XX1
    CHAIN: SRAM XX1
    DERAILLUER CABLE: Jagwire Ripcord
    PEDALS: Shimano XTR
    BRAKES: Magura MT-8
    BRAKE ROTORS: Magura Storm SL
    HANDLEBAR: Niner Flat Top 9 RDO
    STEM: Niner RDO
    HEADSET: KSA that came with the frame
    GRIPS: Ergon GA1 EVO
    SADDLE: Ergon SM3 Carbon Pro
    SEAT POST: Niner RDO
    BOTTLE CAGES: Bontrager RL
    Last edited by chrisgardner73; 12-26-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Changed my mind on the drive train...going with XX1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Very Nice! What do you expect the weight to come in at ... 20'ish lbs?

I'm hoping to build a h/t at 22lbs or less (including everything). Still researching bikes and parts, but if I do go with the Air9 RDO frame I've got a few things picked out already:

FRAME: Niner Air 9 RDO (licorice)
    FORK: Rock Shox SID XX, 15mm maxle (remote lockout)???
    RIMS: Crest, Arch EX, maybe carbon???
    HUBS: Hope Pro II Evo
    TIRE - FRONT: Conti Race King 2.2 ???
    TIRE - REAR: Conti Race King 2.2
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XO/X9 (probably trigger)
    FRONT DERAILLUER: E13 chain guide ???
    REAR DERAILLUER: SRAM XO/X9
    CRANKS: SRAM XO/X9 (1x10 w/ bashguard)
    BOTTOM BRACKET:
    CASSETTE: SRAM XO/X9
    CHAIN: SRAM PC 1091R
    DERAILLUER CABLE: ???
    PEDALS: Shimano XT
    BRAKES: SRAM XO/X9
    HANDLEBAR: Niner RDO
    HEADSET: ???
    GRIPS: ESI Chunky
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V

XO or X9 parts will come down to budget vs weight advantage. I currently have a full X9 1x10 setup on my Jet9 and it works great, but I'd really like to go lighter with an Air9 if I can afford it. Still undecided on wheels, and while I'd like to go light here, I don't want to give up too much durability as I do some longer races too. Keep hearing about these "Chinese" carbon wheels and wonder how they compare? For tires I'll probably go with Race Kings but I've also had great luck with Specialized XC tires (FastTrak, Renegade) ... which are especially easy to set up tubeless!

Yep! Here's how I will be building it up. I've already received the frame, bar, stem, saddle, and cassette. The post, fork, headset, and grips are currently on the way. I'll slowly acquire the rest of the parts over the next couple of months.

This build will match most of the kit that I used on my R.I.P. 9, which has been solid, lightweight, and very reliable!

FRAME: Niner Air 9 RDO
    FORK: Rock Shox SID XX
    RIMS: Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29er
    HUBS: DT Swiss 240s
    TIRE - FRONT: Maxxis IKON
    TIRE - REAR: Maxxis IKON
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XO
    FRONT DERAILLUER: SRAM XO
    REAR DERAILLUER: SRAM XO
    CRANKS: Truvativ XO
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Truvativ PF30 Ceramic
    CASSETTE: SRAM XG-1099
    CHAIN: SRAM PowerChain 1091
    DERAILLUER CABLE: Jagwire Ripcord
    BRAKES: Magura MT-8
    BRAKE ROTORS: Magura Storm SL
    HANDLEBAR: Niner Flat Top 9 RDO
    HEADSET: Cane Creek 110
    GRIPS: Ergon GA1 EVO
    SADDLE: Ergon SM3 Carbon Pro
    BOTTLE CAGES: Bontrager RL

Twin Six METAL Team
    Very Nice! What do you expect the weight to come in at ... 20'ish lbs?

I'm hoping to build a h/t at 22lbs or less (including everything). Still researching bikes and parts, but if I do go with the Air9 RDO frame I've got a few things picked out already:

FRAME: Niner Air 9 RDO (licorice)
    FORK: Rock Shox SID XX, 15mm maxle (remote lockout)???
    RIMS: Crest, Arch EX, maybe carbon???
    HUBS: Hope Pro II Evo
    TIRE - FRONT: Conti Race King 2.2 ???
    TIRE - REAR: Conti Race King 2.2
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XO/X9 (probably trigger)
    FRONT DERAILLUER: E13 chain guide ???
    REAR DERAILLUER: SRAM XO/X9
    CRANKS: SRAM XO/X9 (1x10 w/ bashguard)
    BOTTOM BRACKET:
    CASSETTE: SRAM XO/X9
    CHAIN: SRAM PC 1091R
    DERAILLUER CABLE: ???
    BRAKES: SRAM XO/X9
    HANDLEBAR: Niner RDO
    HEADSET: ???
    GRIPS: ESI Chunky
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V

XO or X9 parts will come down to budget vs weight advantage. I currently have a full X9 1x10 setup on my Jet9 and it works great, but I'd really like to go lighter with an Air9 if I can afford it. Still undecided on wheels, and while I'd like to go light here, I don't want to give up too much durability as I do some longer races too. Keep hearing about these "Chinese" carbon wheels and wonder how they compare? For tires I'll probably go with Race Kings but I've also had great luck with Specialized XC tires (FastTrak, Renegade) ... which are especially easy to set up tubeless!
    I don't (personally) know anyone running the Chinese rims, but from what I've read here and there on MTBR, some people seem to like them. Me personally, I MIGHT pick up a set of Roval's once the dust settles on me making it rain for this build. I'll have to see how the Crest's do first before I spend the money though.

I'm also a big fan of Specialized tires! I run The Captain (F) and Fast Trak (R) on both my RIP 9 and SIR 9. That combo has worked really well for me all along the Front Range here in Colorado! I will likely run that same setup on the Air 9 RDO for everyday use...and swap to the IKON's (or second set of wheels with IKON's mounted) for racing...which has also worked really well for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't (personally) know anyone running the Chinese rims, but from what I've read here and there on MTBR, some people seem to like them. Me personally, I MIGHT pick up a set of Roval's once the dust settles on me making it rain for this build. I'll have to see how the Crest's do first before I spend the money though.

I'm also a big fan of Specialized tires! I run The Captain (F) and Fast Trak (R) on both my RIP 9 and SIR 9. That combo has worked really well for me all along the Front Range here in Colorado! I will likely run that same setup on the Air 9 RDO for everyday use...and swap to the IKON's (or second set of wheels with IKON's mounted) for racing...which has also worked really well for me.
    When I built up my Jet9 in 2010, my first choice for tires were Ikons, but none were available (local or online). Went with the Conti Race Kings and I was pleasantly surprised! Fast rolling and MUCH better traction then I expected with the low-profile treads (especially as a rear tire). Not completely sold on the RK's as front tire though? Captain front with Fast Trak rear is a nice combo, but probably too heavy for racing? I've heard nothing but good about the Renegades too and this year they added 2.3's to the mix, so might try them as a light race tire? So tell me about the Ikons ... how do they compare to a tire like the Fast Trak (front and/or rear)?

I'm also looking hard at the Crest wheels but I see a lot of posts about them being too flexy? Arch EX would be an easy choice for me, albeit heavier then I prefer for xc racing? I assume the Rovals would be VERY pricey to purchase individually ... not sure I can justify the cost?

Twin Six METAL Team
    The first piece of the drive train has arrived, a SRAM XX 11-36 cassette. This thing is a work of art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-530460_10200377145058091_1069411408_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Could you please check if the frame has a drain hole at the bottom of the BB.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    Could you please check if the frame has a drain hole at the bottom of the BB.
    Yes, there is one.

Twin Six METAL Team
    When I built up my Jet9 in 2010, my first choice for tires were Ikons, but none were available (local or online). Went with the Conti Race Kings and I was pleasantly surprised! Fast rolling and MUCH better traction then I expected with the low-profile treads (especially as a rear tire). Not completely sold on the RK's as front tire though? Captain front with Fast Trak rear is a nice combo, but probably too heavy for racing? I've heard nothing but good about the Renegades too and this year they added 2.3's to the mix, so might try them as a light race tire? So tell me about the Ikons ... how do they compare to a tire like the Fast Trak (front and/or rear)?

I'm also looking hard at the Crest wheels but I see a lot of posts about them being too flexy? Arch EX would be an easy choice for me, albeit heavier then I prefer for xc racing? I assume the Rovals would be VERY pricey to purchase individually ... not sure I can justify the cost?
    The Captain/Fast Trak combo is a little heavy, when compared to the IKON's. I definitely notice the weight difference up front. Maybe a tad heavy for my taste for racing, but a ton of fun for regular riding! I run the Fast Trak backwards, and found that it grips pretty well here on the Front Range. However, the IKON's hook up well too...but do suffer a little in the front, as compared to The Captain. For racing though...IKON's!

As for wheels, it'll be a little trial and error. I run Arch's on my other bikes, and this will be my first experience with the Crest. I have a buddy (who is slightly heavier) who runs the Crest in the same type events that I race, and he loves them! I guess we'll see how it goes!

The Rovals are actually reasonably priced ($1700) when compared to other wheels, such as ENVE ($2500), and have a pretty good reputation. I'm definitely gonna give the Stan's a shot first!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The rovals rock. Two seasons of hammering and still true as an arrow. Never touched a spoke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    The rovals rock. Two seasons of hammering and still true as an arrow. Never touched a spoke.
    Roval Carbon SL or basic Roval Carbon? Out of curiosity, what do they weigh ... while I'm sure they're much stiffer, wondering how much lighter they are compared to Crest?

Twin Six METAL Team
    Good to know! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    SL'S. They are fast. The weight is published on their site, but i think they are 1400? BTW i also weigh 185 and ride some rough singletrack. New ikon's where i ride lasted one ride. The rivals are strong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    SL'S. They are fast. The weight is published on their site, but i think they are 1400? BTW i also weigh 185 and ride some rough singletrack. New ikon's where i ride lasted one ride. The rivals are strong.
    Good to know about the Rovals. Light, stiff, and durable ... sounds like a real nice upgrade!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, there is one.
    Is it possible for you to make a picture of it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here's my stable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-20121204_201558.jpg  

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-20121204_201615.jpg  

Twin Six METAL Team
    Yea man...I'll shoot a pic in the morning, and post it back up here.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Here you go!

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354824786.923036.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanx! Change in concept then cause mine does not have one.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Got my drive train!Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354993600.859970.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Still making up a build list and looking at SRAM site to get an idea of price/weight options. Regarding components like shifters and brakes ... is the listed price and weight for a set, or only one of each??

For example SRAM lists XO brakes at $245 and 315g ... I assume double that for front and rear brakes?

XO 10 spd shifter lists price for a "pair", but not sure if weight (232g) is for pair or each??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Chris,
    About the drive train: Can you tell me what Q-factor and crank length you chose?

I've bought me also an air 9 rdo frame and I want also a sram xx1 drive train, but I'm not sure which q-factor would be the best (regarding clearance whith chainstay).

Thx for the info!
    Grtz

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast