Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 118 of 118
  1. #101
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    A standard GXP BB wont fit the Air 9 RDO frame right?
    Not without the adaptor, Because there is nothing for it to screw into.

  2. #102
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Not without the adaptor, Because there is nothing for it to screw into.
    Is it better to go with a GXP crankset with adapetr vs a BB30 crank with a PFBB? The reason i ask is becaue I already have a brand new PF30 BB sititng in the box.

  3. #103
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    Is it better to go with a GXP crankset with adapetr vs a BB30 crank with a PFBB? The reason i ask is becaue I already have a brand new PF30 BB sititng in the box.
    That depends on the person.

    It is almost always better to fit what the bike was designed for.

    The BB30 cranks are a little stiffer.

    A lot of people think the Press fit 30 BB don't last as long.

    There are a lot more cranks to choose from with the 24mm Id bottom bracket.

    There is a much bigger range of spider less single rings for the Gxp cranks.

    It all comes down to your needs.

  4. #104
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    No, you can use the GXP crank but you will need to run an adaptor.

    My wife Air9 RDO is running a GXP crank with This adaptor

    Wiggle | SRAM PressFit 30 to BSA Adapter | Bottom Brackets

    & a standard GXP bottom bracket.
    Let me thank you in advance for all your help. Last question I think...The PF30 to BSA adapter you posted is that Wiggle link include the BB or just adapter or is that an all in one thing/

  5. #105
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    Let me thank you in advance for all your help. Last question I think...The PF30 to BSA adapter you posted is that Wiggle link include the BB or just adapter or is that an all in one thing/

    It is just the adaptor, You will still need to buy a bottom bracket.

  6. #106
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    437
    I have been running that SRAM PF30 to BSA adaptor in my Air 9 RDO for almost a year with Chris King BB and XTR Cranks. It works great, although if I have been riding regularly in sloppy conditions, I do have to take it out and clean it up. It will start creaking. Only had to do this 3 or 4 times in the last year and it has been raining here in the Southeast constantly.

    I will say that the PF30 to BSA adapter is a better option than running a PF30 BB with 24mm inserts. I did this for a while too and could never get the preload quite right. There always seemed to be a good amount of friction between the PF30 and the adapters.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  7. #107
    Twin Six METAL Team
    Reputation: chrisgardner73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    614

    Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO

    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    Was hoping you could explain the crankset options.

    Do they make a GXP BB compatible with our Air 9 RDO's or are we forced to go with the BB30/PF30 option or does a GXP fit a PF30 BB? All this BB crap confuses me
    Yes, you will need to run a PF30/BB30 on the RDO. GXP cranks will not fit, as the spindle on BB30 cranks is slightly fatter.

  8. #108
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Yes, you will need to run a PF30/BB30 on the RDO. GXP cranks will not fit, as the spindle on BB30 cranks is slightly fatter.
    That isn't true, You can run Gxp cranks in them.

    But it takes, Adaptors to make it work.

    My wife has Gxp cranks in her Air9 RDO.

  9. #109
    Twin Six METAL Team
    Reputation: chrisgardner73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    614

    Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    That isn't true, You can run Gxp cranks in them.

    But it takes, Adaptors to make it work.

    My wife has Gxp cranks in her Air9 RDO.
    Crap! You're right. Sorry about that. No more late night MTBR'ing for me!

  10. #110
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    755
    So let me get this straight before I go out and waste more money. I have a NA9 RDO and I want to put a GXP crankset on it. In order for me to do that I need the BSA Adapter which would make my frame compatible for standard or GXP BB's?

  11. #111
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    No, you can use the GXP crank but you will need to run an adaptor.

    My wife Air9 RDO is running a GXP crank with This adaptor

    Wiggle | SRAM PressFit 30 to BSA Adapter | Bottom Brackets

    & a standard GXP bottom bracket.
    How many spacers did you have to use if any for the GXP BB/BSA Adapter?

  12. #112
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    How many spacers did you have to use if any for the GXP BB/BSA Adapter?
    You won't use any spacers on a 73mm bb shell.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  13. #113
    Ride or Die!
    Reputation: CasinoKiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    You won't use any spacers on a 73mm bb shell.
    So no spacers for the Adapter and the GXP BB?

  14. #114
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    How many spacers did you have to use if any for the GXP BB/BSA Adapter?
    I didn't use any.

  15. #115
    greedy
    Reputation: have2ride2day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD View Post
    So no spacers for the Adapter and the GXP BB?
    When you press the adapters in the frame, they will be the same width as a threaded 73mm BB shell. So with a GXP bb, you won't use any spacers.

    edit: This will give you a factory intended chainline, which I assume is what you want.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRC78 View Post
    The Air 9 Carbon looks to have the same clearance as the RDO, I was thinking S-work cranks might have a different chain-line but it seem they are the same. I think the only way to go single chainring with the bigger rings will be to run the 104 bdc spider with a 34 or 36 tooth ring and a guide. Or maybe one of these, 104 BCD Chainrings | wolftoothcycling.com I've been meaning to call and talk to them about it.
    I'm building the RDO up and was curious if anyone's had luck fitting a 34 or 36 ring in some form or fashion? I'd prefer to go sans chain guide on a 1x10.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    If you're lucky you might be able fit bigger cog with Raceface Next SL new crankset. According to Raceface you can flip cogs and get additional 3mm clearance.

    I had a discussion with Raceface about another thing and they mentioned this.

    "XX1 comes in 2 chainline/1-factor options and our Next SL would have a 1mm wider Q-Factor than the wider XX1ís Q-Factor. The chainline would be slightly more narrow than the XX1 as we chose to offset the chainline more to the bigger cogs as this is where the majority of the cassette wear will be done and many riders will spend most of their time in these cogs. We based the chainline on our new Next SL DM rings off the XX1 and XO1 drivetrains, so there should be no adjustments necessary for swaping out the cranks. If you get the Race Face PF30 CINCH BB, there will be no spacers required and it will drop right into your frame! Another cool feature of the Next SLís is our DM rings are offset so you have an additional 3mm of clearance if you flip the chainrings"

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by n1x0n View Post
    If you're lucky you might be able fit bigger cog with Raceface Next SL new crankset. According to Raceface you can flip cogs and get additional 3mm clearance.

    I had a discussion with Raceface about another thing and they mentioned this.

    "XX1 comes in 2 chainline/1-factor options and our Next SL would have a 1mm wider Q-Factor than the wider XX1ís Q-Factor. The chainline would be slightly more narrow than the XX1 as we chose to offset the chainline more to the bigger cogs as this is where the majority of the cassette wear will be done and many riders will spend most of their time in these cogs. We based the chainline on our new Next SL DM rings off the XX1 and XO1 drivetrains, so there should be no adjustments necessary for swaping out the cranks. If you get the Race Face PF30 CINCH BB, there will be no spacers required and it will drop right into your frame! Another cool feature of the Next SLís is our DM rings are offset so you have an additional 3mm of clearance if you flip the chainrings"
    Well that's intereting. This might be the solution. Thanks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •