Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Here's the current state of my build. Right now, it's kind of in limbo waiting on the rest of the parts. The bike, as it's built up right now, weighs in at 7 pounds on the dot.

The XX1 kit that I posted before couldn't come home with me. My LBS sponsors our race team, and couldn't sell shop inventory for grassroots pricing. Those items have to come from our team order. So...I'll just have to wait 3-4 weeks for my XX1 stuff. I'm in no hurry though.
    Looks like a nice start! I see you went with the SID XX ... out of curiosity did you look at the SID RCT3 at all? RCT doesn't have the remote lockout, but is a bit lighter with the 3 compression mode set up. I'd love to try the RCT before buying one, but sounds like a nice set up, similar to the Fox CTD suspensions?

mtbr member
    Looking good. Ergon saddle?

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Looking good. Ergon saddle?
    Yes. It's the SM3 Pro Carbon. Looking forward to trying it out!

mtbr member
    Yes, tell us what you think after a few rides.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Yes, tell us what you think after a few rides.
    Will do! I'm usually a big fan of the Specialized Henge, but was finally able to get my hands on the Ergon. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Their grips, gloves, and packs are awesome...so my hopes are high for the saddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice build plan. Congrats of the purchase.

Just ordered same RDO gear from OO. Are there different versions on this frame?

I was going to use Nokon cables and a Rotor 4630 PF30 BB.

Anyone here with experience on installing the Rotor 4630 BB correctly (prep, grease, carbon paste, loctite, etc). I have read a lot and spoke to everyone in the industry. There seems to be no real concensus and the LBS's just do what they think seems right.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by thehaus View Post
    Nice build plan. Congrats of the purchase.

Just ordered same RDO gear from OO. Are there different versions on this frame?

I was going to use Nokon cables and a Rotor 4630 PF30 BB.

Anyone here with experience on installing the Rotor 4630 BB correctly (prep, grease, carbon paste, loctite, etc). I have read a lot and spoke to everyone in the industry. There seems to be no real concensus and the LBS's just do what they think seems right.
    I think there might be two versions of the Air 9 RDO frame; one with a drain hole in the BB, and one without. I didn't realize this until I got my frame and someone on here asked about the hole. Mine has one.

I don't have any experience with the Rotor BB. I used the Truvativ PF30 ceramic with this build, and if your BB is like that one, you wouldn't used anything since it's pressed in.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a size large Air 9 RDO.
    Does anyone have an accurate weight for the large frame set?
    I've also got another question is the SID WC dual air 29er fork (non XX) a RCT3 model?

Thx
    Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE LEVETT View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a size large Air 9 RDO.
    Does anyone have an accurate weight for the large frame set?
    I've also got another question is the SID WC dual air 29er fork (non XX) a RCT3 model?

Thx
    Dave
    1234 grams with bottle cage bolts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0 View Post
    1234 grams with bottle cage bolts.
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping for in the 1200gr range.
    Know just wondering about the fork, maybe I,ll check out the fork area to see if that info is available.
    Thx
    Dave

Twin Six METAL Team
    Showed up at my LBS for our weekly ride yesterday...and they had my XX1 kit waiting on me! I pulled out my spare XX cassette for a side-by-side comparison with the XX1 cassette. Just a little bit of a difference...😳

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358087669.851214.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow nice! Have you weighed yet?

Dave

Twin Six METAL Team
    Not the best shot, but it's starting to look like a bike. Still need to order brakes and wheels.

Currently weighs in at 10.2 lbs on my Park Scale.Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358113857.402196.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good, what crank is that?

Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What brakes you going with? I've been doing a LOT of reading on different brakes and based on everything I've seen and read, Shimano is heads and shoulders above the others ... and that includes XTR, XT, and even SLX level!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave levett View Post
    looks good, what crank is that?
    xx1.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Yep! They're SRAM XX1 cranks. I'm going with Magura MT-8's for brakes. I've been running them on my RIP 9 for the past year and really like them! Pricey, but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Oh, nice. How do the Mt-8 compare to XT/XTR?

Twin Six METAL Team
    Oh, nice. How do the Mt-8 compare to XT/XTR?
    I have a set of XT's on my SIR 9. They're nice, but honestly, I prefer my MT-8's. The XT's have good power and modulation, but I feel like I have more control with the Magura's. The feel/shape of the levers with the MT-8's seem to work better for me as well.

Don't get me wrong...the XT's are great brakes, and I would recommend them in a heart beat! I'm just a big fan of Magura!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Not the best shot, but it's starting to look like a bike. Still need to order brakes and wheels.

Currently weighs in at 10.2 lbs on my Park Scale.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358113857.402196.jpg 
Views:	1251 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	752943
    Chris,
    You pretty happy with your set up for hanging bikes vertically on the garage wall? I have to organize my garage first, but I intend to hang my bikes (5-6) vertically with rear tire off the ground. I was thinking of mounting a 2x6 horizontally (top and bottom) for tires to rest on (and save drywall), then simply using heavy duty rubber-covered hooks. I also have a fat bike to hang and not sure that would work with hooks like you have? Your set up looks nice and simple to mount though.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    Chris,
    You pretty happy with your set up for hanging bikes vertically on the garage wall? I have to organize my garage first, but I intend to hang my bikes (5-6) vertically with rear tire off the ground. I was thinking of mounting a 2x6 horizontally (top and bottom) for tires to rest on (and save drywall), then simply using heavy duty rubber-covered hooks. I also have a fat bike to hang and not sure that would work with hooks like you have? Your set up looks nice and simple to mount though.
    The setup works great! However, I'm out of room. I'm gonna sell my son's old Trek here soon since he's outgrown it and moved on. That'll give me space for one more (the Air 9 RDO)...until this summer when I pick up a second CX bike.

Those hooks will not fit a fat bike. However what you don't see behind me in this picture, is my fat bike hanging from the ceiling over (and in front of) my workbench. I used two more (rubber-coated) hooks and hang my Pug by the stem and nose of the saddle. It adds a nice touch to my "shop" and keeps the bike out of the way.

Twin Six METAL Team

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO

Picked up my wheels yesterday! She'll be dirt ready today!
    Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361019528.739160.jpg

Twin Six METAL Team
    Winter project is complete!

Here is what the final build looks like:

FRAME: Niner Air 9 RDO
    FORK: Rock Shox SiD XX
    RIMS: Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 29er
    HUBS: DT Swiss 240s
    TIRES: Continental X-King 2.2
    SHIFTERS: SRAM XX1
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: N/A
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM XX1
    CRANKS: SRAM XX1
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Truvativ PF30 Ceramic
    CASSETTE: SRAM XX1
    CHAIN: SRAM XX1
    DERAILLUER CABLE: Jagwire Ripcord
    PEDALS: Shimano XT
    BRAKES: Magura MT-8
    BRAKE ROTORS: Magura Storm SL
    HANDLEBAR: Niner Flat Top 9 RDO
    STEM: Niner RDO
    GRIPS: Ergon GA1 EVO
    SADDLE: Ergon SM3 Carbon Pro
    SEAT POST: Niner RDO
    BOTTLE CAGES: Bontrager RL

The final weight came out to 20 lbs, 9 oz.

I took it out for a 25 mile spin yesterday, to break it in a little. Holy crap, this thing is fast! Scary fast, when compared to
    my RIP 9! The XX1 drivetrain is smooth and precise, and completely silent! I'm running my XX1 in a 32Tx10-42 configuration,
    and didn't miss my 26/39x11-36 2x10 at all. Let me get a few more rides in though, before I completely write-off my 2x10.

Here are a couple of pics. I'll post more, with a little more review, once I get some more rides in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-538174_10200950832839927_1438508039_n.jpg  

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-64555_10200954553292936_750149825_n.jpg  

Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-31462_10200954527252285_1753336118_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice. Yes, give us a review of everything once you've ridden more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Any chance you could post a photo of clearance between the chainstay an chainring. I want to build a Air 9 with the xx1 but I think the 32T chainring will be too small. Any Better options for 1x cranksets with better clearance?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast