Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    When my dealer aksed Niner which q-factor crank they recommended the wider one, 166 I think it is. Don't know if that means the 156 won't work, but that's what they recommended. Could be their safe answer for right now, without a lot of experience with that crank yet.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I emailed Niner a while back about Air 9 RDO/XX1 compatibility, and here is the response that got:

"We have been testing the XX1 drive train from SRAM and are finding that we will likely need to put a limitation on the front chainring size of 32 teeth to avoid frame interference. Either of the Q factors will work I just warn folks on narrow Q factors and mountain bikes that heel strike can be an issue if they have any abnormality in their pedal stroke."

I will be running the wide Q factor with a 30T chainring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    I emailed Niner a while back about Air 9 RDO/XX1 compatibility, and here is the response that got:

"We have been testing the XX1 drive train from SRAM and are finding that we will likely need to put a limitation on the front chainring size of 32 teeth to avoid frame interference. Either of the Q factors will work I just warn folks on narrow Q factors and mountain bikes that heel strike can be an issue if they have any abnormality in their pedal stroke."

Why would you run the 30T after that email?
    The wider Q-factor crank doesn't move the chain line further out, just a larger bend in the crankarm

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Why would you run the 30T after that email?
    The wider Q-factor crank doesn't move the chain line further out, just a larger bend in the crankarm
    I had asked them about which Q factor they recommended, and if the RDO could accommodate the full range of XX1 rings. It looks like either Q factor would work, I prefer the wider...and that there's a chance that the maximum size ring I can run is 32T. I'm going to try the 32T first, but I also have 30T.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I had asked them about which Q factor they recommended, and if the RDO could accommodate the full range of XX1 rings. It looks like either Q factor would work, I prefer the wider...and that there's a chance that the maximum size ring I can run is 32T. I'm going to try the 32T first, but I also have 30T.
    I'm building up a Air9 RDO for my wife & am thinking of going with the XX1 so will have to see what works,

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm building up a Air9 RDO for my wife & am thinking of going with the XX1 so will have to see what works,
    Depending on your timeline, I can definitely let you know how it comes out. I probably won't be done for a month or so though. Need to wait on the drivetrain to come in. I couldn't bring the one in the pic home. Our team order has to be separate from shop inventory to get the special pricing. Oh well...I can wait!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Depending on your timeline, I can definitely let you know how it comes out. I probably won't be done for a month or so though. Need to wait on the drivetrain to come in. I couldn't bring the one in the pic home. Our team order has to be separate from shop inventory to get the special pricing. Oh well...I can wait!
    I'm hoping to build her bike next week.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I'm hoping to build her bike next week.
    OK...You win!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I would think a 30t ring would leave you short of gears for any faster/open sections ... assuming you do some racing?

I currently run 1x10 w/ 32 ring and 11-36 cassette, and I have never felt the need for more granny, but there are a few occasions I could have used more top end. With the XX1 having a 42 granny cog I would have thought most would go with an even taller ring up front vs smaller ... 34 or bigger? If the XX1 doesn't allow a bigger ring due to frame clearance then I would find 1x10 a better and more versatile setup.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I would think a 30t ring would leave you short of gears for any faster/open sections ... assuming you do some racing?

I currently run 1x10 w/ 32 ring and 11-36 cassette, and I have never felt the need for more granny, but there are a few occasions I could have used more top end. With the XX1 having a 42 granny cog I would have thought most would go with an even taller ring up front vs smaller ... 34 or bigger? If the XX1 doesn't allow a bigger ring due to frame clearance then I would find 1x10 a better and more versatile setup.
    I do race (endurance events...poorly, mind you), and my rationale is that late in those type events, I'm pretty much in my 26T up front the whole time with my 2x10. I plan to try out the 32T on some of our longer climbs here in COS before jumping to the 30T. If it works out well, I'll probably leave it as-is. However, if I happen to get into the Leadville 100, I can't promise I won't be running that 30T.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I do race (endurance events...poorly, mind you), and my rationale is that late in those type events, I'm pretty much in my 26T up front the whole time with my 2x10. I plan to try out the 32T on some of our longer climbs here in COS before jumping to the 30T. If it works out well, I'll probably leave it as-is. However, if I happen to get into the Leadville 100, I can't promise I won't be running that 30T.
    I think you'll find the 32 ring gives you more than enough granny ... especially with a 42 cog out back! If 32x42 doesn't get you up a climb, I'd venture to say it would be faster (and less fatiguing) to get off and walk. During 24 hour races I've found that later in a race I actually look forward to one or two dismounts on steep or longer climbs .... gives a nice mental and physical break from pedaling, and I find helps me stay fresh/faster for the remainder of the lap.

Due to cost, I'll likely be going with another 1x10 for my Air9 build, but I look forward to hearing how that works out for you!

Twin Six METAL Team
    I think you'll find the 32 ring gives you more than enough granny ... especially with a 42 cog out back!
    You would think...but I'm a big baby!

Carbon & Ti rule
    You would think...but I'm a big baby!
    Hi having a 30 on the front of the XX1 group gives you about the same top end as having a 35 tooth ring up front on a 36-11 cassette.

On my Jet9 RDO with XX1 I ran last week with the 32 up front & this week with the 30 & next week I will run it with the 28 & then the following week I will go back to 32, Just to see how they feel.

At this stage I'm liking the 30 & feel that my be what I use for my main chain ring but we will see.

That is what is so great about the XX1 you can just choose on the day how you feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi having a 30 on the front of the XX1 group gives you about the same top end as having a 35 tooth ring up front on a 36-11 cassette.
    I forgot the XX1 went all the way down to a 10 cog vs 11 on most 1x10 setups.

With that said, it looks to me like the 30t ring w/ 10-42 cassette (XX1) would have the same top end as 33t ring w/ 11-36 cassette (typical 1x10) ...

30:10 = 3.00
    33:11 = 3.00

Carbon & Ti rule
    I forgot the XX1 went all the way down to a 10 cog vs 11 on most 1x10 setups.

With that said, it looks to me like the 30t ring w/ 10-42 cassette (XX1) would have the same top end as 33t ring w/ 11-36 cassette (typical 1x10) ...

30:10 = 3.00
    33:11 = 3.00
    It was early & I was half asleep, I ment to say that with the 32 front ring was like 35 on 36-11

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It was early & I was half asleep, I ment to say that with the 32 front ring was like 35 on 36-11
    I figured that was probably a typo or honest mistake on your part. Over the past couple years I've found your feedback to be spot-on for the most part!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Chris, what made you buy the carbon when you have SIR? Wanting to buy one or the other for SS.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Chris, what made you buy the carbon when you have SIR? Wanting to buy one or the other for SS.
    I'm running the SIR single speed, and wanted a super lightweight, geared bike for endurance races. I raced my RIP in the Silver Rush 50 last year, and was really wanting a carbon HT by the end of the race!

All three of the bikes will get plenty of time in the dirt! All depends on my mood and where I'm riding!

mtbr member
    Chris, Just got my second RDO (small probs with first) had it set up very simular. except2x10xx weighed 21.4

But i built this one to race SS. Just got it back today. Im not a fan of tensioners, but, well see. first ride tomorrow

Stupid light your gonna love it.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by csparks66 View Post
    Chris, Just got my second RDO (small probs with first) had it set up very simular. except2x10xx weighed 21.4

But i built this one to race SS. Just got it back today. Im not a fan of tensioners, but, well see. first ride tomorrow

Stupid light your gonna love it.
    Very nice! Better watch out though, she might take it from you!

I am curious to see how it does SS. What does it weigh like this, 19-19.5 lbs?

mtbr member
    Wow it rides really sweet set up with the "Paul Melvin" Feels no different than any other SS. I thought about getting the Air9 Carbon to run the EBB, but it is honestly a totally different bike, and I loved this one so much geared i will just run the melvin and be happy and comfy.

I have it set up with a 34/20 right now, but will probabaly run a 19 for most AZ Races. Weighed just a hair under 20lbs before I put my Bellini Bell on!

Chris, You know Jon Pettit (raced on your 4 man at pueblo a couple year ago) he is running XX1 and it is cool. You should dig it.

Wicketed
    Did any of you guys put one of these frames on a scale before you built them up??? I'd be very interested to hear what the real-world weights are coming out as....
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee View Post
    Did any of you guys put one of these frames on a scale before you built them up??? I'd be very interested to hear what the real-world weights are coming out as....
    My medium Air 9 RDO frame weighs 2.5 pounds. I was surprised by how light it is.

mtbr member
    Just marking my place to see how it goes. Good luck with the new bike and XX1.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Here's the current state of my build. Right now, it's kind of in limbo waiting on the rest of the parts. The bike, as it's built up right now, weighs in at 7 pounds on the dot.

The XX1 kit that I posted before couldn't come home with me. My LBS sponsors our race team, and couldn't sell shop inventory for grassroots pricing. Those items have to come from our team order. So...I'll just have to wait 3-4 weeks for my XX1 stuff. I'm in no hurry though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Project - Niner Air 9 RDO-556954_10200407332092748_222716607_n.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast