Thread: Wide Fing Open

mtbr member

Wide Fing Open

I'm sure that is what the real name of this bike was intended to be.

Finished my build and took it for the first short ride tonight. This thing just wants to go straight down and over anything. Wow! It really does want to go WFO.

Descending with this bike almost feels like cheating. The pike is moto like just eating up everything in its way.

Did a few jumps to flat and the landings were bottomless feeling.

Tried a few short climbs and those were not bad either. Not do it all day great, but pretty easy to live with on a long trail session. Need more time to see how it does on the tech climbs with ledges and switch backs... Did not even try the fork in the short travel setting much yet, but that seemed useful on a long climb. Heck, I have not even added air to the fork or shock yet. It somehow came with about the right preload for me (never had that happen before)

Overall, I'm pleased as punch with it. Still adjusting the cockpit and trying to decide where i want the bars on a bike like this.

Only negative at all so far is that the finish looks like it might be a little fragile. It seems that they coat it in color (red in my case) and then overlay black. This is probably not as durable as a straight up single color powder coat like the old RIPs. A tiny bit of the black rubbed off when clamped in my stand revealing red. Not a big deal at all as I know this is the first of many blemishes to come.

It weighed in at a little under 28.5 lbs

Pretty basic all MTN build with most parts from my 2010 RIP:
    • Size L WFO 9
    • Pike 160 dual position air (so very sweet)
    • x9 1x10 type 2 30T narrow wide chain ring with 11x36 cassette
    • Xt cranks, xtr Pedals
    • RS Reverb dropper
    • niner carbon flat bar
    • 50mm Race face DH stem
    • Elixer CR carbon brakes
    • Stans Flows on hope pro II EVO
    • Specialized Ground Control 2.3s (front and back at the moment)

It turned out looking pretty darn good too. It is a black red and white, with a little blue theme. Did not really plan it out, but it just kind of came together looking better than expected.

I actually have a mismatched black hub on the front at the moment, Forgot that I did not have 15mm end caps for the red hope hub, so have a stans hub and spare wheel for now while waiting on the proper end caps.

Attached are a few basic build pics. May add some more outdoor pics in the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wide Fing Open-wfo1.jpg  

Wide Fing Open-wfo2.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice toy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Congrats! Now that is an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Wow 28lbs, I have the x01 build with solo air pike. Hope brakes and lev integra and im at about 31lbs (xl). I agree the paint is very fragile. The red labeling seems to be just stickers. I ride in a very rocky area and the bottom of my downtube and lower link are covered in chips through to the metal (through clear protection tape)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I don't think it is stickers. Look closely the black is laid on top of the red. On mine, the bike stand rubbed off the black finish where the seat and top tube meet revealing red. I just did a quick touch up with a sharpie and you can hardly see it now.

I also ride in very rocky conditions. I put on one of the Cytoe ABS skid plates today. I'm hoping that will keep the finish damage to a minimal. My old rip finish was very durable. Tons of abuse over several years and it still looks great.

I got some more seat time today on the trails that are right in my backyard (which are pretty rough and rocky). I'm 100% sure I was able to ride every section faster than I had ever done on any bike in the past. This bike just blows over the rough stuff and can maintian rubber on the ground when desired. The climbs were also no problem. I did have trouble avoiding pedal strikes in one particular section that is usually not an issue for me on my jet. I finally cleaned it after about 10 tries. Its a really awkward line with a a difficult step up between two big boulders right after a sharp loose turn. The low bottom bracket made this particular situation really difficult. Pretty much the only place the bike performed poorly.

The more I ride the bike, the more I like it. I felt too far forward at first and a little cramped, but I'm adjusting to it quickly. Seems that the suspension may be breaking in on me. Sag appeared to have increased by the end of the ride. I bottomed out the suspension for the first time after getting about 5-6ft of air to flat. Still felt well controlled.

As far as the weight goes. I'm cheating a bit at the moment. The cassette I'm running is an xx and is extremely light. I normally run it on my carbon wheels (which are usually on my Jet). Since one of those wheels was off for hub repair, I put the xx cassette on the WFO build. I'll probably be adding almost 1lb when put my regular xt cassette on. However, I can probably get it down to sub 27 with the carbon wheels and lighter tires if desired. Doubt I would ever run it like that much since the idea is to keep it durable. I also probably added 1/4 pound today with the skid plate. Funny how it all adds up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Where did you attach the skid plate?
    I had to up my pressure in the rear shock quite a bit after initial break in. 180 up to 200, I'm just on 97 - 100kg with gear.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Skid plate starts on the downtube at the bottom of the colored section and wraps around covering the lower link.

Got it here. Rock protection for the Santa Cruz Tallboy Niner Ripley Ibis frames, and Ibis Ripley - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Attaches with double sided tape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ah double sided tape I see. Thanks for the link

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk