mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Why was this Jet 9 RDO so "heavy"?

Seller finally got rid of it after a few tries, but I'm wondering why the finished weight is so relatively-high for such a lightweight frame and build. Almost 25 pounds. Figured it'd be a 23 pound bike: Niner Jet 9 RDO 29er Custom carbon fiber FULL suspension SRAM XX 2x10 24lb CLEAN | eBay

mtbr member
    My medium is exactly 23 lbs with pedals and bottle cages.

Seems a lot of extra unnecessary stuff on this:

not needed -> Lizard skins protective soft covers on the lower chain stays (both sides)
    definitely not needed -> Custom fitted poly/rubber rock guards on the front of the down tube and the lower BB housing , rubber guards on the upper legs of the rear triangle
    not needed -> Custom red hardware pieces I've added to enhance to the "wow effect" - I don't like non-interesting mechanical items - ( bling is the term the young'ins use)
    not needed -> custom protective decals I installed on the crank arms to protect them from scratches and dings.
    not needed -> clear decal overlays on high wear area's of the bike to avoid scuffing of the finish (I am absolutely a neat freak)
    not needed -> Race Face red crank arm tip protectors

All that adds up. I don't understand all this extra "protection" I hear and have seen a few times. All of it is totally unnecessary and just adds weight.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    My medium is exactly 23 lbs with pedals and bottle cages.
    This seems like a pretty reasonable weight to me. I see some RDOs posted up here and on blogs that seem a little too good to be true. Mine has a 120mm Reba RLTi on it, so I could shave some weight on the fork (I think herothedog said he saved almost a pound by going to a SID WC), but other than that there aren't a lot of places I could shave substantial weight.

I think sometimes people weigh their bikes without "real" tires or pedals or sealant, etc. Mine is a large and weighs just under 25 pounds fully dressed to ride the trail with trail tires, two scoops of Stans, pedals, bottle cage and computer mount.

I've seen a couple with very similar builds that were claiming weights in the 20 - 21 range, which I think might be a bit optimistic or maybe our scales are just different. I use a Feedback Sports digital gauge, which I've found to be pretty accurate.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the SID WC took a pound off from the Reba XX, so that was a huge improvement but with a huge price tag. At 23lbs that is a race setup with tires that have extra protection. There are few place I could shed weight that wouldn't sacrifice on performance, I could switch to eggbeaters instead of candys, thinner tires would take 1/2 lbs off but then I wouldn't be able make it through most of the races I do...

COTA member
    My RDO comes in at just under 25# with these specs..

Frame Niner Jet 9 RDO (Large)
    Fork Fox 32 TALAS 29 120 FIT RLC
    Headset Cane Creek
    Tires Geax AKA tubeless
    Wheels Enve Twenty9 XC w/DT240s
    Drivetrain SRAM X0
    Brakes SRAM Avid X0
    Seat Post Niner RDO
    Saddle WTB Silverado SLT
    Handlebar Niner Flat Top Carbon
    Stem Thomson Elite X4
    Pedals Shimano M540

A bit over 3# saved over my previous Jet 9 alloy with SRAM X7 and Stan's Arch wheels. It's not the weight savings that is the huge improvement. It's the significantly stiffer frame that gets the pedal stroke to the rear wheel more efficiently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Removing decals is the true hardcore weight weenie

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Very light particularly for a 29er bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I thought it was reasonable .... maybe the tyres are weighty?

My build sheet reads 25 with XT/XTR/XX Stuff for a large

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    I thought it was reasonable .... maybe the tyres are weighty?

My build sheet reads 25 with XT/XTR/XX Stuff for a large
    I agree. Those Specialized Captain's aren't particularly light. However, they'd probably only add about ~100-150g.

Just under 25 lbs is pretty good for a FS 29er. My RIP 9 is built pretty light and comes in around 26.7 lbs. If I were to swap frames to the Jet 9 RDO, the weight would probably be comparable to this bike.....but cost me $1k more.

USED2COULD
    My medium RDO is right around 23 lb's also with what to me is a high end build, but without sacrificing the comfort of a good seat.

I agree with the comments regarding without sealant, or proper air pressure, GPS mounts etc... I weigh my bike in riding condition where all I have to do is clip on my Garmin and start pedaling.

25 lb's is a light 100mm+ fully suspended 29'er with proper tires.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm going to go out on a limb with you and agree that it seems heavy for the build... My Jet is an X.0 build w/Hope Race brakes (similar weight to XX), Crest/Hope wheels, and a Talus fork (likely the heaviest option). It weighed 24 pounds on the nose with crank bros. 4ti candy pedals.
    So, yeah, if that one was nearly 25 pounds, it seems kinda weird to me.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb with you and agree that it seems heavy for the build... My Jet is an X.0 build w/Hope Race brakes (similar weight to XX), Crest/Hope wheels, and a Talus fork (likely the heaviest option). It weighed 24 pounds on the nose with crank bros. 4ti candy pedals.
    So, yeah, if that one was nearly 25 pounds, it seems kinda weird to me.
    That's surprising.
    How much is your small frame Andrea138? My medium is 5.1 lb's.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmcgehee View Post
    Removing decals is the true hardcore weight weenie
    not really. unless you're sponsored why run their decals??

lamer
    Ok, I must be doing something horribly wrong because my RDO weighs in at 27.25 lbs on my Park Tool DS-1 scale

XL frame
    RS Revelation RL set at 120mm
    Avid Elixir 3 brakes
    Easton EC90 SL carbon handlebar
    Race Face Turbine stem
    Stan's ZTR Crest wheels w/ Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs
    IRD Fire XC Pro tires
    Shimano XT 3x10 drivetrain w/ XTR rear derailleur
    Specialized Phenom Comp saddle
    Niner RDO seatpost
    CB Eggbeater 3 pedals

* I know the Revelation is heavy, but I'm not sure just how heavy it is as I didn't get the scale until after I built it all up. Find me a lightweight, *black* SID/Reba 120mm fork, and I'll snatch it up.
    * Elixir3s aren't all that light, but the cost of X0/XX or XT/XTR brakes doesn't seem to be worth what little weight would be saved.
    * The tires aren't the lightest, but I would only save like 40 grams over Nobby Nic Evo snakeskin tires
    * I already have Specialized S-works carbon cranks + Lightning spider + Extralite 22T & 32T rings on the way to shed a bit of weight and go to 2x10

I'm hoping the crankset will get me down to 26.5. Thoughts?

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Ok, I must be doing something horribly wrong because my RDO weighs in at 27.25 lbs on my Park Tool DS-1 scale

XL frame
    RS Revelation RL set at 120mm
    Avid Elixir 3 brakes
    Easton EC90 SL carbon handlebar
    Race Face Turbine stem
    Stan's ZTR Crest wheels w/ Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs
    IRD Fire XC Pro tires
    Shimano XT 3x10 drivetrain w/ XTR rear derailleur
    Specialized Phenom Comp saddle
    Niner RDO seatpost
    CB Eggbeater 3 pedals

* I know the Revelation is heavy, but I'm not sure just how heavy it is as I didn't get the scale until after I built it all up. Find me a lightweight, *black* SID/Reba 120mm fork, and I'll snatch it up.
    * Elixir3s aren't all that light, but the cost of X0/XX or XT/XTR brakes doesn't seem to be worth what little weight would be saved.
    * The tires aren't the lightest, but I would only save like 40 grams over Nobby Nic Evo snakeskin tires
    * I already have Specialized S-works carbon cranks + Lightning spider + Extralite 22T & 32T rings on the way to shed a bit of weight and go to 2x10

I'm hoping the crankset will get me down to 26.5. Thoughts?
    You didn't list some major weight contributors either.
    Tubes - 29'er tubes run about 220g / each sealant would be 60-90g depending on how brave and how easily the tire seals + 10g per valve. At a minimum that's 120g / wheel to be saved

Sub total: 240g

Spokes - as you didn't mention which spokes I am going to assume they are likely straight gauge or minimal butting. Example: in 29'er length (~292mm)
    DT Champion (straight) ~ 490g / set of 64
    DT Competition (mild double butted) ~ 415g / set of 64
    DT Revolution (agressive double butted) ~310g / set of 64

Potential on the order of 180g

Sub total: 420g

You're basically at a pound of savings from components you didn't even list. Riding an XL you might not feel comfortable with revolution spokes but I've never snapped one.

The tires you listed in 2.1" width are 760g
    Nobby Nicks Performance 2.25" tires are cheaper (than EVO) and weigh in at 645g / tire

That's another 115g / tire

Sub total: 650g

That's pushing on a pound and half of rotating weight. I'd spend all my money there, for a difference you will actually (significantly) notice immediately rather than on a lighter fork, and crankset.

Have fun.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    You didn't list some major weight contributors either.
    Tubes - 29'er tubes run about 220g / each sealant would be 60-90g depending on how brave and how easily the tire seals + 10g per valve. At a minimum that's 120g / wheel to be saved

Sub total: 240g

Spokes - as you didn't mention which spokes I am going to assume they are likely straight gauge or minimal butting. Example: in 29'er length (~292mm)
    DT Champion (straight) ~ 490g / set of 64
    DT Competition (mild double butted) ~ 415g / set of 64
    DT Revolution (agressive double butted) ~310g / set of 64

Potential on the order of 180g

Sub total: 420g

You're basically at a pound of savings from components you didn't even list. Riding an XL you might not feel comfortable with revolution spokes but I've never snapped one.

The tires you listed in 2.1" width are 760g
    Nobby Nicks Performance 2.25" tires are cheaper (than EVO) and weigh in at 645g / tire

That's another 115g / tire

Sub total: 650g

That's pushing on a pound and half of rotating weight. I'd spend all my money there, for a difference you will actually (significantly) notice immediately rather than on a lighter fork, and crankset.

Have fun.
    Oops, thanks. I guess I'm new enough to this lightweight thing that I don't think about the sum of all the smaller parts.

I'm running the tires tubeless, and they seal great, so I'm using the minimum amount of sealant. I haven't weighed these tires myself, but they're listed as 715g. I'm guessing that people are finding their real weight to be around 760g? Are the Performance tires durable? How much weight will I actually save if I have to use more sealant to seal the thinner sidewalls?

The spokes are Sapim Race which are listed as ~358g / set of 64. I'm over 200lbs geared up, so I don't think I can risk going with anything more lightweight than these rims and spokes. I've already had to get the rear re-trued once in the last couple of months.

Thanks for your advice. I'm just a bit nervous about sacrificing too much durability in my pursuit to lighten this thing up.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Oops, thanks. I guess I'm new enough to this lightweight thing that I don't think about the sum of all the smaller parts.

I'm running the tires tubeless, and they seal great, so I'm using the minimum amount of sealant. I haven't weighed these tires myself, but they're listed as 715g. I'm guessing that people are finding their real weight to be around 760g? Are the Performance tires durable? How much weight will I actually save if I have to use more sealant to seal the thinner sidewalls?

The spokes are Sapim Race which are listed as ~358g / set of 64. I'm over 200lbs geared up, so I don't think I can risk going with anything more lightweight than these rims and spokes. I've already had to get the rear re-trued once in the last couple of months.

Thanks for your advice. I'm just a bit nervous about sacrificing too much durability in my pursuit to lighten this thing up.
    A set of 358g spokes will list at a length of 264mm in 292mm are close to 400g. But strong wheels are important.

I have about four sets of RR EVO's and one set of NN Performance, and I don't have many miles on them yet. I can tell you that they sealed WAAAY easier than the older RR's and as easily as my latest set of Ralphs. I believe that Schwalbe has reversed their original position on tubless as everyone ran them that way, and now they are constructing them to be more compatible with the sealant.

I sealed my 2.25" Performance NN's with about 40g / tire.

For durability though, people often say if you tear a sidewall on a rock the Schwalbes are thin walled. Shrug, like I said, I have five sets and they all (with varying tread remaining) still hold air.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb