mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Who's running a 1x10 on their Air 9C?

Want to go 1x10 on my Air 9c want to know what everyone is running? I currently have a full sram x9 group, and can't convert my BB30 crank to a 1x because the 32T that I want won't give me any clearance. So guess I need to get a new crank and don't want to break the bank. What are some good options?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A north shore Billet direct mount 32tooth chainring fits just fine on my XO crankset on my A9C

mtbr member
    I have a XT 32tooth chainring and cranks on mine. I mostly run her as a SS (32/20) but in the summer I throw on the 10 speed and she's a 1x10 that is very fun light fast and fun.
    I dont have any clearence issues and the swap it fairly quick because I have an extra rear wheel ready to go. It only takes a few minutes to bolt on the shifter, zipp the cable, a chain swap, bolt on the XTR derailer and after a quick adjustment...POOF she's ready to ride as a 1x10.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    A north shore Billet direct mount 32tooth chainring fits just fine on my XO crankset on my A9C
    Are you running a GXP crank or BB30?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Gxp but I believe the chainline and thus clearance would be the same with either model

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't understand how a 32T won't clear. That's a standard middle ring on a crankset. Are you trying to run it on the inner position of a Sram 2x10 crank or something?

I've ran a 36T on a 1x10 setup before on my Air9C, but that was with a different crank. I've used Race Face, Shimano, and Specialized S-works cranks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    I don't understand how a 32T won't clear. That's a standard middle ring on a crankset. Are you trying to run it on the inner position of a Sram 2x10 crank or something?

I've ran a 36T on a 1x10 setup before on my Air9C, but that was with a different crank. I've used Race Face, Shimano, and Specialized S-works cranks.
    I have a SRAM x9 BB30 Crank I was going to try and convert to a 1x by removing the spider and using a Wolf Tooth 32T Chain ring (obviously to save cash from buying a whole new crank). This is what I got from Wolf:

"We the GXP rings will physically fit on a BB30 with a removeable spider but some of them (especially anything larger than a 32t) can have interference with the frame and the chainline might not be optimal. Basically, the BB30 rings have 5mm less offset.
    We do take returns, but not after it has been mounted"

They don't make a 32T for 120 BCD (or outer position) lowest you can go is a 36T.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Makes sense.

You can always snag a 3x10 spider for it and then use whatever ring you want on the middle position. Or you should be able to use the MRP bling rings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Makes sense.

You can always snag a 3x10 spider for it and then use whatever ring you want on the middle position. Or you should be able to use the MRP bling rings.
    I think the MRP Bling Ring is the same concept as the Wolf....Bolt on ChainRing to a removable spider crankset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is, but they will work with GXP cranks pretty well.