Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Who Makes Niner Frames?

I know Niner frames are made in Taiwan, but who makes them? I'm thinking of getting a One 9, but don't want to pay for a hyped out, Kinesis frame with Niner's name on it. I do not mean any disrespect, but I'm just saying.

banned

I don't know about the One9 but

Quote Originally Posted by OneArm
    I know Niner frames are made in Taiwan, but who makes them? I'm thinking of getting a One 9, but don't want to pay for a hyped out, Kinesis frame with Niner's name on it. I do not mean any disrespect, but I'm just saying.
    I am totally conviced that god himself made my Jet9.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I am totally conviced that god himself made my Jet9.
    I am totally convinced that god made my Air9 and One9 as well.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    I always suspected God was a Taiwanese man...
    I believe this was answered in a thread a while back in the 29er forum, I forget the exact name(s) though. Try a search there.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

Stiff yet compliant
    What is wrong with a Kinesis frame?
    I don't know who does the manufacturing for Niner, but they are not catalog frames with a Niner sticker slapped on, (if that is what you are getting at).

mtbr member
    Does it matter that much where they are made?

You want the frame made in your own country, go buy a custom one.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneArm
    Kinesis makes FOES and Mountain Cycle as well as a TON of other high end frames, sure they do make lower end stuff as well, but I personally wouldn't have any problem with any $500+ frame made over seas (Tai-chi-viet-nesse). I "think" Maxway makes the steel frames.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

1izalluneed
    Sep 2004

One Nine

The One Nine is a great all around frame in construction, design and geometry. I have been bashing mine around for 3 or more years and it still looks good and rides great. I have considered going custom several times but is hard to justify the expense when the One Nine performs so well at such a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Whilst not recent, this will help explain the world of globalisation and factories.

Where was my bike made?

It's one of the Industry's worst kept secrets but Giant and Merida are the two largest manufactures in Asia. However, there are enough other factories in Taiwan that still make frames. Niner wont ever say which, simply because anyone in the industry wont say. It's like buying a Ford or GM; a lot of the components are made by Bosch who supplies both of them. Also, who wants to ride a 'ride a rebranded Giant'? Even though Giant has no say into how the frame is designed.

I think what's most important - being a very satisfied Niner customer myself - is that the boys (& girls) at Niner know 700c for MTB and how to design a good handling 29er.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Little Asian children

With torches in their little hands.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Welded in Taiwan, so what!

Taiwan has the best frame welding capabilities in the world, so what is relevant is who designed it. Yep, it was the niner boys. They picked the right tubes also.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Somewhere in Taiwan but I'd guess a smaller factory...just a guess. To many, it does matter when paying a large sum of money. To others, simply buying an American-made frame is a source of pride or patriotism. I know some riding buddies who will only buy American and while they like my Niner, they will stick with Turner, Ventana, or custom hardtails. I can appreciate that it does matter to some and is the biggest factor or a really big factor.

mtbr member

Flyer - You got a niner????

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Somewhere in Taiwan but I'd guess a smaller factory...just a guess. To many, it does matter when paying a large sum of money. To others, simply buying an American-made frame is a source of pride or patriotism. I know some riding buddies who will only buy American and while they like my Niner, they will stick with Turner, Ventana, or custom hardtails. I can appreciate that it does matter to some and is the biggest factor or a really big factor.

I am proud of my turners, and I can say they are "american". But if Dave Turner decides to weld overseas to cut cost down, I am ok with that too...

Who knows where the frame tubes come from??? Alcoa? From an overseas plant? How about the components - shimano and sram both made in Japan and Taiwan respectively.

Anyways, if it rides good, then where made its irrelevant.

Made in usa is so two decades ago. It is a global market baby - expand your mind...
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm with your buddies - I'll go out of my way to support our economy. I get frustrated about people who complain about how the government has messed up our economy while they drive a Hyundai or a Honda. The government might deserve some of the blame but we need to look in the mirror too.

With Niner the good engineering jobs are here in the USA, the ownership is here, the taxes stay here, the profits stay here. (Hope you guys are making some money). I realized Cannondale was owned out of Canada but until I read the link above didn't realize Specialized ownership was partially overseas.

My LBS also carries Niner and I will also go out of my way to support them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm good with that thought but I still value high-quality American-made frames a bit more. I value a Moots or Ericksen Hardtail more than a Vodoo Ti even if (not the case though) they ride the same and are welded as well as each other and have the exact same geo. I'd pay more for the latter two as well. Same goes for FS bikes as long as they are close in performance. I'd pay another few hundred unless the Chinese/Taiwanese frame was so far ahead in performance that it was ridiculously evident.

I'm okay with owning any good frame but I take more pride in owning Amercan-made frames, especially if they are hand-welded. One American company is an exception. I'd be practically ashamed to buy one of them but that is another story and not appropriate for this forum.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by ridebikes
    while they drive a Hyundai or a Honda.
    Honda has several plants in the US.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Honda has several plants in the US.
    I'm not knocking Honda but the true bigwigs are in Japan and the big money goes there in the end. However, they all (Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Nissan also, I believe) have plants in the US and employ a lot of people so we can't say they do not contibute- they do..quite a bit. It is the reverse, where they are also building here to placate the US-made sentiment in a way.

What I do have a problem with is the implication of US-made frames and a few flagship models lending to that credence. We all know which big Special bike company that is. There is also a small bike company that makes US frames that I would never buy due to the despicable, unethical, and misleading character of the owner. I'll buy an all-Chinese frame from that Chinese welder DC hates, before I buy one Hell...worth...nothing in my eyes.

So Niner is okay in my book- they design, assemble, and employ here. But to some, that isn't good enough. I don't argue with or debate my riding buddies or anyone I meet on the trails. They ride what they ride and it makes them no worse or better than another rider. If they want my opinion on their bike choice, I'm sure they will ask.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I'm not knocking Honda but the true bigwigs are in Japan and the big money goes there in the end. However, they all (Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Nissan also, I believe) have plants in the US and employ a lot of people so we can't say they do not contibute- they do..quite a bit. It is the reverse, where they are also building here to placate the US-made sentiment in a way.
    Wasn't trying to insinuate that, I was "just sayin".

I owned all General Motors cars for years, but now own an Acura and a Honda (both Hondas really). IMO, the big 3s cars just don't compare for the money so I buy what I believe to be a better car.

Anyway to get back on topic, I like Niner bikes and have really loved my SIR9 and will be looking at a RIP or WFO in the next year or so.

mtbr member

Flyer

So, did you get a niner? I know you just got your moots... Are you selling the moots? I could help you in this tough economy. BTW your orange TNT turner still kicking...

PM me please...
    Sit and spin my ass...

MTB B'dos
    Dude, stop harrasing the guy this is the 2nd time you've asked and you already know he has a RIP9 Give up already

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    So, did you get a niner? I know you just got your moots... Are you selling the moots? I could help you in this tough economy. BTW your orange TNT turner still kicking...

PM me please...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oops, I missed his question twice? Sorry, yes, I have a RIP9, Zion. To make sure, I sent you a PM. The Moots...well, its fate is undecided. I am having too much fun on the FS bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Dude, stop harrasing the guy this is the 2nd time you've asked and you already know he has a RIP9 Give up already

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Welded in Taiwan, so what!

Taiwan has the best frame welding capabilities in the world, so what is relevant is who designed it. Yep, it was the niner boys. They picked the right tubes also.
    Well, I'm not so sure but I hope you are right. I'm looking at a 2009 RIP 9 as my first 29" bike and have not actually had the opportunity to examine a Niner frame close up. I have been looking at a this thread on the introduction of RIP colors for 2009. There are pictures posted and the welds are not as good as I would like. I realize that these are prototypes and I hope that production frames will be better. The second and third photos represent the type of welding I'm used to and it is done in the USA.

Ronnie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Supersonic Garfield
    The welding on my 08 RIP is way better than the prototypes shown here

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    why don't you buy an intense bike, save yourself a couple grand, sleep peacefully knowing that you bought a completely 100% all-american sourced and produced bike, not out of some stamp-factory in Taiwan (like niners or specialized, etc.).

29er
    Apr 2010
    this is your first post? to resurrect a 4 year old thread?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast