Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

When to expect an updated Jet

With the new RIP frame updated, when do you think we'll see an updated Jet with a rear maxle? Looking to replace my MCR soon and torn between the new RIP and the potentially updated Jet.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    With the new RIP frame updated, when do you think we'll see an updated Jet with a rear maxle? Looking to replace my MCR soon and torn between the new RIP and the potentially updated Jet.
    Oh please - no rear "maxle" for the new JET alloy. QR is fine for an XC race bike. Keep it like the JET 9 Carbon and let the gimmicks be with the carbon RDO version.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm thinking that if the Sir9 & Rip9 both got Maxle that my money would be on the Jet9 going to Maxle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As Muzzanic said...I'm sure niner will incorporate it into the jet aluminum. Not because they feel like it will greatly improve performance, but because they want to stay up to speed with technology.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Emailed Niner and they could neither confirm nor deny an updated Jet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    Emailed Niner and they could neither confirm nor deny an updated Jet.
    That's an admission in my book. If they had no immediate plans to update, they would just say so.

mtbr member

RIP RDO was 2-3 years in the making. Of course there is a JET in the making, but they're not going to announce until it's ready.

It's pretty simple, actually.

Unlike other brands that have model years, NINER, does versions. They release when the product is done.

So, when the new JET is announced, you'll know when it's coming out.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    RIP RDO was 2-3 years in the making. Of course there is a JET in the making, but they're not going to announce until it's ready.

It's pretty simple, actually.

Unlike other brands that have model years, NINER, does versions. They release when the product is done.

So, when the new JET is announced, you'll know when it's coming out.
    Once inventory is all gone....

Niner JET 9 Frame

Niner Jet 9 W/RP23 Frame > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member

That too, though plenty of old RIP9's available, after the announcement of the new version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    That too, though plenty of old RIP9's available, after the announcement of the new version.
    The current model Rip9s have been available at great prices for a year or more. Given the shorter ramp up time on an aluminum bike, it wouldn't surprise me to see an updated Jet alloy by the end of the year. The only real issue I see is that selling two different carbon versions and an alloy version is a little crowded. I felt like the separate carbon versions was a little cheesy.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    . I felt like the separate carbon versions was a little cheesy.
    Yes but 1 is open drop outs with cheaper rear shock.

The other is 142 x 12 with Maxle, Carbon rockers & different shock & quite a bit more & some people would rather not pay that much for things they may not want anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes but 1 is open drop outs with cheaper rear shock.

The other is 142 x 12 with Maxle, Carbon rockers & different shock & quite a bit more & some people would rather not pay that much for things they may not want anyway.
    Sure, but like QRs on front forks, 135 QR dropouts are going away. Might as well just get it over with. It would be a little odd to sell a carbon bike with QRs and an alloy version with 142x12. And if you want a carbon frame, why wouldn't you want carbon rockers? I just see the Jet9 Carbon as a temporary carry over.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Sure, but like QRs on front forks, 135 QR dropouts are going away. Might as well just get it over with. It would be a little odd to sell a carbon bike with QRs and an alloy version with 142x12. And if you want a carbon frame, why wouldn't you want carbon rockers? I just see the Jet9 Carbon as a temporary carry over.
    I'm a big Through axle fan.

As for T/a on alloy & not on the carbon, Well the alloy may need it more & if there is a new Jet9 alloy coming why not go straight to T/a.

There are still a lot of people that own wheels that won't go 142x12 & may choose the Jet9 carbon because of the open drop outs.

Budget wise If I had to choose between a Jet9 carbon with carbon wheels or the Jet9 RDO (142x12 ) with alloy wheels, I would choose the Jet9 Carbon with the better wheels.

Lucky for me I have both.

Always Learning
    Sure, but like QRs on front forks, 135 QR dropouts are going away.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. Many of us don't need more than a QR up front and or in the rear. So to paint the entire mountain bike industry with one stroke of the brush that QR's are not wanted or needed would be an incorrect assumption of the end users that are out there. Fork companies are still producing QR forks. Frame manufacturers are still producing rear QR dropouts. Hub manufacturers are still producing QR front and rear hubs.

Not sure it's all "going away".

BB

P.S. My carbon road bike also seems to be fine with QR front and rear....

Carbon & Ti rule
    I think you should buy your jet9 carbon now, Because I'm thinking that the Jet9 Carbon will end up going 142x 12 at some point to.

I think you need to demo a Jet9 Carbon, I'm sure you will be surprised just how much faster they are the bikes you are riding now.

One of the biggest things for me with my Jet9 RDO was not having to work out what bike to take, the Jet9 or Rip9.

If the new Rip9 Alloy pedals anything like the Rip9 RDO, My money would be on it being able to beat both the Alloy Jet9 & Rip9 anywhere you could take them.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. Many of us don't need more than a QR up front and or in the rear. So to paint the entire mountain bike industry with one stroke of the brush that QR's are not wanted or needed would be an incorrect assumption of the end users that are out there. Fork companies are still producing QR forks. Frame manufacturers are still producing rear QR dropouts. Hub manufacturers are still producing QR front and rear hubs.

BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

BB

Your road bike is probably also fine with rim brakes and tiny tires.

Always Learning
    I think you should buy your jet9 carbon now, Because I'm thinking that the Jet9 Carbon will end up going 142x 12 at some point to.

I think you need to demo a Jet9 Carbon, I'm sure you will be surprised just how much faster they are the bikes you are riding now.

One of the biggest things for me with my Jet9 RDO was not having to work out what bike to take, the Jet9 or Rip9.

If the new Rip9 Alloy pedals anything like the Rip9 RDO, My money would be on it being able to beat both the Alloy Jet9 & Rip9 anywhere you could take them.
    Yes, a demo would be nice.

On the one hand, Muzz, for my kind of riding it's really all about the sustainable power that the rider can produce (XC racing). A bike change isn't really going to change that.

On the other hand, I have found that I can produce more power for longer through the chunk on my RIP than the JET thanks to the additional suspension on courses that have large sections of "chunk" (few and far between here in the Midwest). So - yes - that puts one of the new JET carbons (or possibly the new alloy JETs once we find out how much travel it will have) in the ball game for me on those types of courses since my RIP is 120mm up front and whatever the actual travel is in the backside 113-117mm? The steeper HT angle on my older RIP of 71.5 with a 120mm fork is perfect for keeping things quick. I don't really want to go slacker than 71 or 71.5 up front.

But - "it's not about the bike".

The Roval carbon wheels and the proprietary Specialized front hub with the end caps mated to the XX fork is actually stiffer up front than a 15mm TA. That's Specialized's claim. From my standpoint as a "claim" - I can't tell any difference between it and my 15mm TA set up on the RIP. As for the rear, I have no complaints with the carbon rims on the rear of the JET or the RIP. The carbon wheels were the game changers for me.

Barriers to entry for a new frame would include a new rear hub and a rebuild of the wheel if the rear was not 135mm with standard dropouts. And for XC racing on Midwest trails - overkill is not needed - so it might be a moot "upgrade". That's what my post was about above saying that perhaps a lot of end users and their terrain really don't need the 142 rear end.

I will cross the rear end bridge when I get there (as in when one of my frames gives up the ghost). For now, the carbon JET does look to be the best choice if I needed a new frame right at this moment. We shall see what a new alloy JET offers.

Then again - I'm still using cartridge BB's, mechanical disc brakes, 9 speed, and - God forbid - rims with a bead hook.

BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Bruce, I know this is the Niner forum, but I'd love to hear what a guy like you thinks about the Ripley. It seems like exactly what you are describing.

Always Learning
    Bruce, I know this is the Niner forum, but I'd love to hear what a guy like you thinks about the Ripley. It seems like exactly what you are describing.
    I just read 2 great reviews of it yesterday. No dealers here, so who knows.

The LBS that I "attend" is a Specialized, Salsa, Niner, etc.. dealer - so if and when my current critters are put to rest - I'll probably go through the LBS.

When and whatever I do, it will be quite an upgrade as I will probably simultaneously upgrade from mechanical to hydro, cartridge BB to press fit, double or triple crankset to 1 x 11, 25.4mm bars and stem to 31.8mm, rear wheel standard upgrade to boot - and throw in an upgrade from a flip-phone to a smart phone while you're at it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Don't be to quick to change phone, I have a smart phone but take a flip phone with me when riding.

I just read 2 great reviews of it yesterday. No dealers here, so who knows.

The LBS that I "attend" is a Specialized, Salsa, Niner, etc.. dealer - so if and when my current critters are put to rest - I'll probably go through the LBS.

When and whatever I do, it will be quite an upgrade as I will probably simultaneously upgrade from mechanical to hydro, cartridge BB to press fit, double or triple crankset to 1 x 11, 25.4mm bars and stem to 31.8mm, rear wheel standard upgrade to boot - and throw in an upgrade from a flip-phone to a smart phone while you're at it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I think that the Jet9 carbons are as big a jump ahead form the Alloy Jet9 & earlier Rip9 as what carbon wheels are over something like Flows, In raw speed alone.

Then there is the fact of always being on the right bike at the right time & also the Carbon bikes keep your body fresher as well.

We have done a lot of back to back with 2012 Rip9 Alloy & jet9 rdo with similar speed riders & who ever was on the Jet9 RDO just rode away & was gone out of sight within 5 of so corners.

Yes, a demo would be nice.

On the one hand, Muzz, for my kind of riding it's really all about the sustainable power that the rider can produce (XC racing). A bike change isn't really going to change that.

On the other hand, I have found that I can produce more power for longer through the chunk on my RIP than the JET thanks to the additional suspension on courses that have large sections of "chunk" (few and far between here in the Midwest). So - yes - that puts one of the new JET carbons (or possibly the new alloy JETs once we find out how much travel it will have) in the ball game for me on those types of courses since my RIP is 120mm up front and whatever the actual travel is in the backside 113-117mm? The steeper HT angle on my older RIP of 71.5 with a 120mm fork is perfect for keeping things quick. I don't really want to go slacker than 71 or 71.5 up front.

But - "it's not about the bike".

The Roval carbon wheels and the proprietary Specialized front hub with the end caps mated to the XX fork is actually stiffer up front than a 15mm TA. That's Specialized's claim. From my standpoint as a "claim" - I can't tell any difference between it and my 15mm TA set up on the RIP. As for the rear, I have no complaints with the carbon rims on the rear of the JET or the RIP. The carbon wheels were the game changers for me.

Barriers to entry for a new frame would include a new rear hub and a rebuild of the wheel if the rear was not 135mm with standard dropouts. And for XC racing on Midwest trails - overkill is not needed - so it might be a moot "upgrade". That's what my post was about above saying that perhaps a lot of end users and their terrain really don't need the 142 rear end.

I will cross the rear end bridge when I get there (as in when one of my frames gives up the ghost). For now, the carbon JET does look to be the best choice if I needed a new frame right at this moment. We shall see what a new alloy JET offers.

Then again - I'm still using cartridge BB's, mechanical disc brakes, 9 speed, and - God forbid - rims with a bead hook.

BB

Always Learning
    I think that the Jet9 carbons are as big a jump ahead form the Alloy Jet9 & earlier Rip9 as what carbon wheels are over something like Flows, In raw speed alone.
    I'm certainly enjoying a nice carbon frame on my road bike, but it still takes me the same amount of time to complete my weekly 30 mile and 40 mile training rides that it did on my alloy road bike.

You can't buy raw speed.

Then there is the fact of always being on the right bike at the right time & also the Carbon bikes keep your body fresher as well.
    Shorter duration XC races (2 hours or less) usually don't matter when it comes to alloy vs. carbon as long as the suspension is correct and the tires are dialed. I have had the opportunity to race two different carbon bikes (test bike/demo bikes) in the past 12 months and did not notice any difference of my body being "fresher" as a result of the frame being carbon compared to my alloy frames. Maybe if I was riding distances that were much longer such as marathon and endurance events in the 3, 6, 12+ hour range I would notice. Or if I was racing a carbon HT vs. an alloy HT. But a fully made out of alloy set up to fit me does plenty to mitigate fatigue. I don't even go in for all the carbon bits (bars, stem, seatpost) as I run those all alloy. I see the point for them on a HT, but I don't see the need on a fully.

We have done a lot of back to back with 2012 Rip9 Alloy & jet9 rdo with similar speed riders & who ever was on the Jet9 RDO just rode away & was gone out of sight within 5 of so corners.
    I know the Kool-Aid tastes good, but this may not be a realistic result to compare an alloy RIP 9 to a JET RDO. I mean, it's no secret that one is pushing more weight on an alloy RIP 9 trail bike that might be a total bike weight build that is 3-8 pounds more than a tricked out carbon JET RDO build. I feel the same between my JET 9 alloy and my RIP 9 alloy based on the lighter weight and get up and go XC build of the JET 9 in at least those first 5 corners.

However, I have tweaked my RIP 9 down to 27.31 pounds (Nobby Nic 2.35 up front/Renegade 2.3 in the rear) for some XC racing on rougher courses. I would be 26 and change with a simple tire swap, but that's why I've got the JET 9.

If XC racing were only so easy that a simple purchase of the JET RDO frame would catapult me within 5 corners to be out of sight from my competition - trust me, I'd be riding one already.

As I said. You can't buy raw speed.

No doubt about it. There are some nice bikes out there. I got to toss a leg over a Cube XC carbon full suspension 29"er in March while in Europe and take a 40 minute spin. Pretty hot bike and I loved the flip switch to lock out front and rear shock at the same time for climbs and sprints. I actually really enjoyed the Tallboy I raced out in California last year. I really enjoyed a test ride on the Tallboy LTc after a race I did last year in Minnesota (a demo day was set up). I've tried the carbon Epic from Specialized and thought was the bees knees as well. By the way, the S-Works build for $10K - if you were a racer - has got to be on your list, Muzz. And I do owe it to myself to demo a JET RDO or carbon. I just have not had the opportunity to date.

Think of me today as I race either my alloy JET or RIP on a muddy course with lots of climbs. I'll be fresh at the start, but pretty sure after the 90 minutes are up a weakness in my training to date will have emerged. And no bike would fix that weakness.

Always Learning
    Don't be to quick to change phone, I have a smart phone but take a flip phone with me when riding.
    I'm with you there. The small profile of a flip phone is perfect to toss in the jersey pocket.

Managed 2nd place yesterday aboard the RIP using the 34T Rotor Q Ring up front for the 1 x 9 set up. What I missed with the 1 x 9 was the ability for high cadence on some of the steep climbs that I am used to when using a triple or double crankset. I would crest the hills with pretty cooked legs (lactic acid) and have to hit it hard off the slow cadence grind up the steeps. With a higher spin I can work my heart rate and keep the legs a little bit "fresher" with a higher cadence. Maybe 11-34 in the rear is not enough?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to butt in on your guys, but can I ask an innocent question? (here goes anyway) Are you asking when the Jet9 will get a carbon version update or an alloy update? And putting weight aside, what's wrong with the current Jet9 alloy version? I've been thinking of getting one with a 120mm fork. But I may also get a Giant Trace just for the more relaxed angles. (I don't and will never race)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Almost a month ago I went to my LBS to start a jet9 alloy build. Went on my birthday and was pretty excited but got my hopes up to soon. They do not have any smalls in stock and neither does niner. Niner had none on order so the account rep told the shop owner a new version will be out soon. He told me look for one in 90 days about 30 days ago so still awhile but was pretty disappointed not being able to get my size frame. Hopefully the price doesn't raise too much and maybe they will have a green one like the rip9 since they discontinued the orange color according to the owner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast