mtbr member

What are you guys running for tires? XC/AM

Hey All!!

Looking to get some new tires, I'm in MN... I usually like to take the rougher lines. Would like a nice all rounder. I've got a 2010 RIP9.

Trail varies a bit from dusty trails, to nice perfect tackiness. Nothing too sloppy, but run into some sand now and again. Terrain is similar, varies quite a bit, like I said, I like to take the rougher (Not necessarily harder) lines.

I've been looking at the Schwalbe line, as I had some RoRo's on a bike, and I did like them.

RoRo's are a little spendy... so just wondering if there are any consensus on tires here?

I've got a 15% off coupon at my shop, and a $50 GC... so price isn't the only thing I'm worried about.

Hans Dampf seems to be a nice all rounder, and I think it's been quite anticipated with the 9er crews, but seems a little heavy at 850g each.

Maxxis Ardent seems to be the most popular from the bikes I've been surfing here, and a little lighter.

I'm not a weight weenie by any means, just would like a nice performing, reasonable weight tire that sticks!

What say Ye Ninerds??

Thanks!

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Hey All!!

Looking to get some new tires, I'm in MN... I usually like to take the rougher lines. Would like a nice all rounder. I've got a 2010 RIP9.

Trail varies a bit from dusty trails, to nice perfect tackiness. Nothing too sloppy, but run into some sand now and again. Terrain is similar, varies quite a bit, like I said, I like to take the rougher (Not necessarily harder) lines.

I've been looking at the Schwalbe line, as I had some RoRo's on a bike, and I did like them.

RoRo's are a little spendy... so just wondering if there are any consensus on tires here?

I've got a 15% off coupon at my shop, and a $50 GC... so price isn't the only thing I'm worried about.

Hans Dampf seems to be a nice all rounder, and I think it's been quite anticipated with the 9er crews, but seems a little heavy at 850g each.

Maxxis Ardent seems to be the most popular from the bikes I've been surfing here, and a little lighter.

I'm not a weight weenie by any means, just would like a nice performing, reasonable weight tire that sticks!

What say Ye Ninerds??

Thanks!
    Racing Ralphs always. Love em. The performance to weight ratio on the subjecto meter is excellent.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Geax AKA 29 is an awesome tire. I run them and they roll fast. I ride in Pisgah and Dupont NC.

COTA member
    Geax AKA 29 tubeless (Non TNT version).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have run about everything except hans dampf on the Rip and for me the Ardent 2.4 front/rear has worked the best in the loose over hard here in Utah.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ardent 2.4.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    Racing Ralphs always. Love em. The performance to weight ratio on the subjecto meter is excellent.
    +1

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Hey All!!

What say Ye Ninerds??

Thanks!
    Nobby Nics - either 2.35 front and rear, or 2.35 front with a 2.25 rear would be a nice Minnesota all around tire that weighs less than the Hans Dampf, yet has rolling resistance better than an Ardent and is nearly as fast as the Racing Ralph. The Nics stick really well for climbing, cornering and braking. My 2.35's weigh in the 720-740g range and I run them tubeless on my RIP front and rear.

Nics

You could do a burly Ardent up front with an Ikon with protection in the rear (or Crossmark) for another nice all around set up.

BB

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm in Champlin and ride Elm Creek 2-3x per week.

I have on my Stumpy the new Fast Trak 2.2, s-works, and on the Niner One9 I have the Maxxis Ikon. Specialized tires are cheaper than the Ikons, both roll very well.

I'd recommend both for a XC tire around here. Neither are spectactular in the mud, but when its dry, they fly. If you need something more meaty then perhaps Spec. S-works Captains? they can be had for $60 per @ Eriks I think

Where do you spend most of your time riding?

Where's your GC to? Freewheel? Eriks?
    10' Stump 29er Comp HT
    09' Niner One 9 - Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soltis007 View Post
    I'm in Champlin and ride Elm Creek 2-3x per week.

I have on my Stumpy the new Fast Trak 2.2, s-works, and on the Niner One9 I have the Maxxis Ikon. Specialized tires are cheaper than the Ikons, both roll very well.

I'd recommend both for a XC tire around here. Neither are spectactular in the mud, but when its dry, they fly. If you need something more meaty then perhaps Spec. S-works Captains? they can be had for $60 per @ Eriks I think

Where do you spend most of your time riding?

Where's your GC to? Freewheel? Eriks?
    Hey Cool! I spend most of my time down at Lebanon Hills... GC was for online, not local unfortunately.

I've gotta get up there to Elm Creek.. I live in Stillwater, so it sort of sucks.. for a perfect area to have trails, there are none.

Woodbury is doing a pretty good job with the Carver Lake, but it's short.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Another vote for 2.35 Nobby Nic, I run them last weekend in the mud & they worked well.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Bontrager FR3.

Flaccid Member
    Another Nobby Nic here, for the front tire, at least, in a 2.35. Or if those are too spendy, get a set of Panaracer Rampage tires in 2.35. The Rampage will not roll quite as fast as the Schwalbe, but it has a certain stickyness to it on off camber stuff that I find hard to match on almost all surfaces I ride it on in the southwest.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Been real happy with the Rampage 2.35 as a front tire and Specialized's The Captain in the back. Both currently set up tubeless. The Captain has a fairly thin casing, so if'n you're going through rough/sharp rocks, you may want to run something burlier.

mtbr member
    Hmmm... thanks guys! I did order two Trailstar Hans Dampfs... now reading, I think I might have liked to have something a little different in back. Maybe even a Pacestar version.

I like having a sticky front... I ride early in the morning usually, and there is usually plenty of moisture on roots, and rocks on the trail.. I think I'll like the HD for that for sure.

Maybe a RoRo, or a NN might have been good for the back.

We'll see how it goes. I like fast, but I like traction as well... I'll give some feedback after I ride a bit.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You think racing Ralph 2.1 or 2.25 for southeast single track?