mtbr member
    Feb 2007

What headset is this on the RIP9?

Is Niner's going with CC headsets? Is that some sort of a protection cup on the lower bearing or just a different type of crown race?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Is Niner's going with CC headsets? Is that some sort of a protection cup on the lower bearing or just a different type of crown race?
    That looks like a new WFO and it looks like the rumored tapered headtube switch to fit the Inset internal cup design or... the CC angleset!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    That looks like a new WFO and it looks like the rumored tapered headtube switch to fit the Inset internal cup design or... the CC angleset!

Hmm, one of my thoughts was that for 2011 they'll switch from the integrated headsets. Still looks kind of weird having the \_____/ angle on the cup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My 09 rip is already on it's second set of headset bearings. I think their intragrated headset design looked good on paper, but doesn't hold upmin real world. My upper bearing was totally trashed with several balls missing after only a season of riding

Underskilled
    Can anyone link to the headset required for the '09 WFO, I can't find the exact models!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Can anyone link to the headset required for the '09 WFO, I can't find the exact models!
    Since you run a Dorado, this might help you find what you need: http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

NMBP
    Can/should these bearing be greased?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    Can/should these bearing be greased?
    I always put a light film of grease on the bearing or in the headtube race. Nothing too excessive since that just seems to attract dirt. I also pop the bearing seal off every few months and replenish the grease. Never had a single issue with my headsets, but I guess results may vary based on riding location and maintenance schedule.

@Gilboy - this headset isn't a Niner design, it's been produced and used for several years by dozens of companies, the 45x45 top bearing is used extensively for integrated BMX headsets as well.

@CaveGiant - This is the headset, but with a different top cap: http://fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?t...layout=product

The description says it's for a carbon steerer tube, but just disregard that. You would still need the reducer fork crown race for the 1-1/8" steerer tube on your Dorito, this would come with a 1.5 model.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I always put a light film of grease on the bearing or in the headtube race. Nothing too excessive since that just seems to attract dirt. I also pop the bearing seal off every few months and replenish the grease. Never had a single issue with my headsets, but I guess results may vary based on riding location and maintenance schedule.
    Thanks, I suppose that is in order, since my frame is about a year old now. Do you use a special tool to pop off the bearing seal?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    Thanks, I suppose that is in order, since my frame is about a year old now. Do you use a special tool to pop off the bearing seal?
    A dental tool or some other sharp pick that can get under the seal without doing too much damage.