Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

What Happens when the 3m Stone Guard and The Down Tube Guard Don't Work.

I found this the other night when prepping my bike for this weekends ride.

Right now it just looks like the clear got shattered. The frame sounds solid still. Just a bit sad to damage such a beautiful frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    wow. That much have been a pretty big hit that the extra guard you have didnt stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ouch! Maybe I need to offer a extra wide plate that wraps the down tube even more. If there was no plate, you'd probably have a hole there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    ouch! Maybe I need to offer a extra wide plate that wraps the down tube even more. If there was no plate, you'd probably have a hole there?
    Yah! There is a small dent in the corner of guard. I will help you test a wider downtube guard if you make one. I've always been worried about riding a carbon frame in Arizona. It often sounds like bombs are going off under your bike with all the rocks flying around! And that's just on an XC ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Yah! There is a small dent in the corner of guard. I will help you test a wider downtube guard if you make one. I've always been worried about riding a carbon frame in Arizona. It often sounds like bombs are going off under your bike with all the rocks flying around! And that's just on an XC ride.
    I'll see what I can come up with. Arizona trails sounds like fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was going to say....you should change your title from "What Happens when the 3m Stone Guard and The Down Tube Guard Don't Work." to

"What Happens when the 3m Stone Guard and The Down Tube Guard Work."

Good chance you wouldn't have a frame right now if you did not have the protection.

Glad I got the down tube protector. Maybe double up the tape before I install.

Does anyone else find it ironic that we buy things like an iPhone and RDOs and then wrap them in ugly protection of some sort?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why wrap it? You have a 5 year warranty.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that we buy things like an iPhone and RDOs and then wrap them in ugly protection of some sort?
    When I first bought my smart phone, I put the insurance on it and then bought a $50 case that made my already large phone HUGE....not to mention ugly as sin.

Ironically, the case cost as much as the damage replacement deductible on the insurance I pay for for. Finally, I got sick of the case and said to hell with it, if it breaks it breaks.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Why wrap it? You have a 5 year warranty.
    I've heard great things about the niner warranty but I doubt it covers impact damage. I don't go back to the manufacturer when I ding my Chevy. Bottom line, sue the rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It would cover impact damage if the frame was cracked and rendered unusuable in the process. If it was scratched (or dented in the case of your Chevy example) or blemished then of course it would not cover an aesthetics issue.

mtbr member
    Obviously a bit too late but you might look into this stuff - Shelter Bike Frame Protection. A ton more burly than the 3m stoneguard stuff. I got it on the downtube on my tallboy c and so far so good.

mtbr member
    Looks like a good place for a cool stickie ( that's what I did after my top tube got raked by a twisted shifter...)
    I've heard my Cytoe's frame protector do it's job for me thus far. My beef with the clear 3M stuff it that it has yellowed somewhat on my white RDO.... it it were the black or orange or green or tamale or moondust frame I probably couldn't tell.
    Last edited by Noclutch; 03-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, I stand corrected. I received this from Niner, "Unfortunately impact damage of any sort is not covered under warranty. You could put something else down there but I don't actually have any suggestions, though I have seen some aftermarket/custom guards out there I'm not sure where they came from."

This is very disappointing. For what these frames cost I would have thought this would be covered. Makes me wonder what would be covered. Maybe they would offer a crash replacement reduced cost frame.....who knows.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    $30 + shipping. You can also buy a complete roll of helicopter tape for this much money. Don't know which would be better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I stand corrected. I received this from Niner, "Unfortunately impact damage of any sort is not covered under warranty. You could put something else down there but I don't actually have any suggestions, though I have seen some aftermarket/custom guards out there I'm not sure where they came from."

This is very disappointing. For what these frames cost I would have thought this would be covered. Makes me wonder what would be covered. Maybe they would offer a crash replacement reduced cost frame.....who knows.
    Here's my ad for the plates anyone is interested: Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just finished the Jet 9 RDO Extra-Wide prototype plate:

What do you think? Too much

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks good. I wish I had that on the first go around. The clear and paint have now pealed off down to the bare carbon in and around the impact point on my down tube.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Jet 9 RDO Extra-Wide prototype plate:

Cytoe, are you offering this plate soon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Jet 9 RDO Extra-Wide prototype plate:

Cytoe, are you offering this plate soon?
    I should have this plate available in a week or 2. I'll post something when I update my ad with it.

mtbr member
    I think some kind of cheap foam tape would work great for this.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What Happens when the 3m Stone Guard and The Down Tube Guard Don't Work.-toolrockguard.jpg
    Here is my solution and it serves 2 purposes. First (1), holds my tube, multi tool, master link, CO^2 Inflator, patch kit. Second (2) offers VERY good rock strike protection.

The way I see it, you HAVE to have tools for every ride. The tools/tube, etc. weigh a little bit and you might as well get them as low as possible (for center of gravity/handling purposes) and off your back/camelbak. Plus, a BIG plus......you don't HAVE to wear a camelbak if you don't want to, providing you are not doing a ride that requires lots of fluid intake. I use a 25 Oz bottle which is plenty for 2 hours or less unless it is really hot.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I should have this plate available in a week or 2. I'll post something when I update my ad with it.
    Can you please also update the Santa Cruz plates to a wider than downtube profile.

When you do I have an order ready to go for a TBLTc and a TRc.....

Another mounting tip is I use 5mm washers between the guard and the downtube to offset the guard from the frame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Can you please also update the Santa Cruz plates to a wider than downtube profile.

When you do I have an order ready to go for a TBLTc and a TRc.....

Another mounting tip is I use 5mm washers between the guard and the downtube to offset the guard from the frame...
    This is the current TBLTc plate (but with mounting slots):

How far up the sides more? I'm still working on the Jet9 RDO wide plate...making the mold is proving very difficult. Thanks for the interest

mtbr member
    May 2005

On my old Blur I had a similar strike to the downtube like the Niner above....front wheel caught the end of a short thick tree branch, flicking it up against the downtube...

These are my home made guards which are some thin flat 3mm plastic I had around....they measure @ 50mm across, SC downtube width on both TBLTc/TRc is around 46mm....

So to wrap around the downtube for full protection you may be looking at least 60mm or maybe a little more to allow for the curviture of the downtube.

What Happens when the 3m Stone Guard and The Down Tube Guard Don't Work.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364777399.942604.jpg

What Happens when the 3m Stone Guard and The Down Tube Guard Don't Work.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364777426.472544.jpg

Dirty South Underdog

It's a warranty... it covers defects. Rock hits aren't defects, they're part of normal wear & tear. The frame could cost 2x as much and they'd no manufacturer is going to cover wear & tear from normal use. Asking them to warranty that is like asking SRAM to warranty a chain that wears out after 3k miles.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast