mtbr member
    May 2005

What Chain Guides Work with WFO?

What chainguides have you guys tried that work without modification?
    Anyone use a Blackspire Stinger with dual chainring setup?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Can't get that to work quite perfectly on my RIP, but I have seen them mounted on the WFO with success. The stinger is my favorite two-ring guide.

JMH

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Can't get that to work quite perfectly on my RIP, but I have seen them mounted on the WFO with success. The stinger is my favorite two-ring guide.

JMH
    Hmm. Interesting. I've been wanting an answer to this for a while, and Niner's page still doesn't say anything beyond e13 SRS+. I'd like a guide for a double, but the e13 DRS didn't fit, so I just have a Turbocharger bash at the moment. Reportedly the MRP LRP fits, but I'm not throwing away $$$ for a new bash/guide when I have a good bash already.

I assume the ones you've on a WFO are the ISCG 05 mount?
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Hmm. Interesting. I've been wanting an answer to this for a while, and Niner's page still doesn't say anything beyond e13 SRS+. I'd like a guide for a double, but the e13 DRS didn't fit, so I just have a Turbocharger bash at the moment. Reportedly the MRP LRP fits, but I'm not throwing away $$$ for a new bash/guide when I have a good bash already.

My go-to dual ring guide has been the Stinger for the last few years, in my experience it works as well or better than the DRS and is way cheaper. Kinda makes the complex DRS look a little silly. Also, unlike the LRP you don't need to buy a bashring. I don't see how the LRP differs greatly from the Stinger. The main problem I encountered was not being able to get the roller high enough behind the ring. In the granny, the chain doesn't even touch the roller. However, since my primary desire is to have the chain stay on the 32T in bumpy terrain, this might work anyway.

Since so many bikes require modifying a chainguide to fit I am surprised they list ANY guides on the website. Not surprised if they haven't done extensive tests since most of their customers are running triples.

The WFO is ISCG Old, not 05. I guess the 05 just wasn't optimal in conjunction with the CVA linkage location.

I used an LG1+ since it's a single ring, it required quite a bit of work on the plastic to get a good fit, but it's quite solid.

beater
    The WFO is ISCG Old, not 05. I guess the 05 just wasn't optimal in conjunction with the CVA linkage location.
    Thanks. That bit of information hasn't been all that easy to find on the intertubes- I've seen ISCG 05 referenced on some pages. Niner's website and tech info just says 'ISCG' but doesn't clarify whether that actually means 'old'.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Thanks. That bit of information hasn't been all that easy to find on the intertubes- I've seen ISCG 05 referenced on some pages. Niner's website and tech info just says 'ISCG' but doesn't clarify whether that actually means 'old'.
    You can thank eThirteen for that name switch I think... previously the terms were ISCG and ISCG 05. I had never seen ISCG Old until shopping for an eThirteen guide.

I might have an "ISCG Previous" Stinger you could try. Lemme look.

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 08-12-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005

dual ring setup

The MRP Long Range Patrol (LRP) works perfectly on the WFO for a dual ring setup.

ISCG was a standard established years ago, cooperatively by MRP and Mr. Dirt (DW was not involved). You can take a look at www.iscg.org

There has been much ado about the history of ISCG, and it plays into a lot of patent issues. ISCG05 was established much later. Those are the two accurate designations for the two geometries.

Scott
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Has anyone tried an ISCG Blackspire Stinger E-type with the SLX dual ring derailleur to help with chain drop and prevent cage swing arm interaction?

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Winans
    The MRP Long Range Patrol (LRP) works perfectly on the WFO for a dual ring setup.

ISCG was a standard established years ago, cooperatively by MRP and Mr. Dirt (DW was not involved). You can take a look at www.iscg.org

There has been much ado about the history of ISCG, and it plays into a lot of patent issues. ISCG05 was established much later. Those are the two accurate designations for the two geometries.

Scott
    I did a little writeup a while ago about the differences between the standards.
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226634

In a nutshell, as DH rigs evolved (slacker, lower) and riders got faster you need a stronger interface to hold the guide on. All sorts of industry folk met up at Interbike in 03/04 and devised the new standard, and DW drew and wrote it all up, as he has a lot of patent experience.

Since we're not talking about a DH rig here, ISCG-OLD/ISCG-03/ISCG is usually fine.

For the WFO, our Heim2 would likely fit better than the DRS, and comes as a standalone backplate assembly. I recommended the SRS+ to the chaps at Niner, as it fits up a bit better with the linkages. The SRS+ lower arm is 2-3mm narrower than the LG1+ when setup the exact same.
    http://www.e13components.com/product_heim2.html

Cheers!
    -pw

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

I got the Stinger working nicely on my RIP yesterday, I had to countersink a T Bolt to get a flush mount to avoid contact with the lower linkage, but that was pretty easy. I say plop down the (not much) cash for a Stinger and Roll In (chain retention) Peace.

Here are pics showing the guide mods I have done on the RIP (Black, two rings, Stinger) and the WFO (White, single ring, LG1+ guide)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Chain Guides Work with WFO?-rip1.jpg  

What Chain Guides Work with WFO?-rip2.jpg  

What Chain Guides Work with WFO?-wfo1.jpg  

What Chain Guides Work with WFO?-wfo2.jpg  

Last edited by JMH; 08-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.

beater
    I say plop down the (not much) cash for a Stinger and Roll In (chain retention) Peace.
    I ordered one from Pricepoint for $20 on Friday.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    For the WFO, our Heim2 would likely fit better than the DRS, and comes as a standalone backplate assembly. I recommended the SRS+ to the chaps at Niner, as it fits up a bit better with the linkages. The SRS+ lower arm is 2-3mm narrower than the LG1+ when setup the exact same.
    http://www.e13components.com/product_heim2.html

Cheers!
    -pw
    Thanks. Good to have that in writing from someone who should know.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorangemen
    Has anyone tried an ISCG Blackspire Stinger E-type with the SLX dual ring derailleur to help with chain drop and prevent cage swing arm interaction?
    You should be fine, that modified stinger on my RIP is the E-type = Mounts in place of the spacer between the frame and BB cup. If you have a WFO you can run the ISCG type = Mounts on ISCG tabs.

Are you getting swingarm contact with your direct-mount front derailleur? That shouldn't be possible? Or are you talking about the stinger interfering with the swingarm?

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    You should be fine, that modified stinger on my RIP is the E-type = Mounts in place of the spacer between the frame and BB cup. If you have a WFO you can run the ISCG type = Mounts on ISCG tabs.

Are you getting swingarm contact with your direct-mount front derailleur? That shouldn't be possible? Or are you talking about the stinger interfering with the swingarm?
    I don't have a WFO yet...I'm borrowing one this weekend which will make or break the decision.

I was trying to e-troubleshoot this chainstay/FD interaction I've read about on 135 mm rear WFO's. Blackspire has an E-type derailleur Stinger that mounts to the ISCG mounts. It could be a solution instead of grinding the rear of the XT FD cage, if the roller doesn't interact with the lower link or bottom of the chainstay.

Or there could be no problem at all...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorangemen
    I don't have a WFO yet...I'm borrowing one this weekend which will make or break the decision.

I was trying to e-troubleshoot this chainstay/FD interaction I've read about on 135 mm rear WFO's. Blackspire has an E-type derailleur Stinger that mounts to the ISCG mounts. It could be a solution instead of grinding the rear of the XT FD cage, if the roller doesn't interact with the lower link or bottom of the chainstay.

Or there could be no problem at all...
    Ah, this one: http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/320894/0/0

I had never seen that before, pretty cool. From my experience with e-type derailleurs, I would say this would make a good last resort. They never seem to shift as crisply as a derailleur mounted firmly on the seat tube, but if this part solves a problem, it's a pretty rad idea.

From fitting guides on Niners previously, the biggest issue would be how far back you need to rotate the guide to make room for the lower roller. I think the derailleur would be forced into a strange rearward position that might make swingarm clearance much worse.

I have a few LX derailleurs that would fit on this. PM me if you want one for the cost of shipping.

JMH

beater

Yes, the Stinger works

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    I have the SLX dual-ring crankset, and the ISCG-mount Stinger went on just fine, with one caveat: the lowermost tab is directly opposite the lower link, and the supplied screws are too long. You can't screw that one in all the way without hitting the link, so you'll need a shorter screw for that position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Photos of chain guide on WFO not being displayed

Look forward to seeing the photos if you can repost them to this thread, Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I got the Stinger working nicely on my RIP yesterday, I had to countersink a T Bolt to get a flush mount to avoid contact with the lower linkage, but that was pretty easy. I say plop down the (not much) cash for a Stinger and Roll In (chain retention) Peace.

Here are pics showing the guide mods I have done on the RIP (Black, two rings, Stinger) and the WFO (White, single ring, LG1+ guide)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post

Where did you find the metric T-bolt? I've searched all the local hardware stores but am coming up empty handed.