mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What 1x10 setups work well with the previous generation RIP9?

I've read a lot of threads in the drivetrain forum, but I'm wondering about succeses and failures people have had converting older RIP9's in particular.

I currently have my '12 RIP9 set up with XT 3x9 converted to 2x9, so I'd be starting from scratch, I could go either Shimano or SRAM. I'm a Shimano guy, but from what I gather, SRAM derailleurs seem to be able to handle the conversion better, so I'm leaning towards SRAM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I've read a lot of threads in the drivetrain forum, but I'm wondering about succeses and failures people have had converting older RIP9's in particular.

I currently have my '12 RIP9 set up with XT 3x9 converted to 2x9, so I'd be starting from scratch, I could go either Shimano or SRAM. I'm a Shimano guy, but from what I gather, SRAM derailleurs seem to be able to handle the conversion better, so I'm leaning towards SRAM.
    I have just built up a 2014 Rip9 Alloy for my wife & she likes to use the Sram double tap 10 speed shifters because there is only 1 lever to deal with & they have the gear display numbers on them so she can see what gear she is in.

So I built it up with Sram carbon cranks & wolf tooth front chain ring,
    Xt rear cassette with 42 tooth One Up inner ring fitted next to it, ( Removed 1 of the smaller gears to keep it at 10 speed )

X9 Type 2 rear derailieur

It works great..

Note the 42 tooth doesn't play well with 10 speed derailieurs on all bikes but it works well on hers ( some bikes have the hole in the hanger in a slightly different place & it can chance how well it works.

However if it wasn't for her taste in shifters I would have fitted the New X1 11 speed gear set & been done with it.

I will post up a build speck on her bike tonight

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a 2012 rip9 with a 1x10, which was added recently. Shimano 11-36t cassette an old cheap race face ride xc crankset and a Shimano xt non-clutch rear derailleur. That is as mismatched and thrown together as it gets, yet it is flawless on the trails. Just get a race face narrow-wide chainring (I use a 30t up front). It is a great combo for Austin trails, your mileage may vary depending on location.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    My favorite combo to date is a 30tooth wide narrow chain ring with a x-9 type 2 short cage on a 11-36 cassette. For a great weight savings go with the sram xg-1099 cassette (can be had for about $275)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post

Converted my triple Shimano XT to a single with the Rotor Q Ring 34T up front and run a 11-34T cassette in the rear (1 x 9) using the Rohloff Chain Guide. Works great!

mtbr member
    From what I've seen its a crap shoot when it comes to dialing in the 42T cogs. Not one setup works for everyone. I've used both Shimano (XT) and SRAM. For me the SRAM works better.

There are a couple companies (Absolute Black and Leonardi Factory) out there that make 64bcd's in 30T and under. Leonardi Factory goes as small as 26T.

Those may help with the chain falling off when backpedaling in the 42T.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    From what I've seen its a crap shoot when it comes to dialing in the 42T cogs. Not one setup works for everyone. I've used both Shimano (XT) and SRAM. For me the SRAM works better.

There are a couple companies (Absolute Black and Leonardi Factory) out there that make 64bcd's in 30T and under. Leonardi Factory goes as small as 26T.

Those may help with the chain falling off when backpedaling in the 42T.
    I was a little hesitant to take the 1x10 plunge after reading about all the issues some people were having with the 42T cogs, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I just ordered a wolftooth 42T GC, raceface 30T narrow-wide ring, X9 mid cage type 2 derailleur and shifter, and PG1070 11-36 cassette. Seems like SRAM is the safer bet, we'll see...