Thread: WFO Superbuild

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

WFO Superbuild

I bought the WFO at the end of last year, and built it up he first time with the Marzocchi 44, a set of I9s, and the RP23. But, I blew the RP23 up, thought that 70 degrees was a little steep for the HTA, had a better home for the I9s, and felt like the fork was holding the frame back.

So...... I had some extra cash, Manitou came out with the Dorado 29er, I had a burly set of wheels built, and here's round 2:

Frame: Niner WFO, Large, 12mm Maxle 135mm rear.
    Fork: Dorado Pro 29er
    Shock: DHX Air
    Bars: Race Face Atlas FR
    Grips: ODI TLD
    Barends:Twenty6 Gas caps
    Stem: Twenty6 F1 Direct Mount
    Brakes: Shimano Saint
    Rotors: Hope M4 203/180
    Levers: Shimano Saint
    Cables: Avid Flak Jackets
    F. Der: Shimano SLX
    R. Der: Shimano Saint
    Cranks: Race Face Atlas FR
    Bash: E13 Turbocharger
    Pedals: Twenty6 Prerunners
    Wheels: MTX 33 29ers laced to DT Swiss 440 FRs w/DT triple butted spokes.
    Tires: WTB Kodiak 2.5
    Seatpost: Thomson Setback
    Seat: WTB Pure

I kept the 135 rear and the DHX Air because I have to pedal this thing up most of the things I want to bomb down around here. Only time will tell on the durability of the 135 rear, but my first couple of rides made me pretty confident they'll be bomb-proof. So far, this thing is ridiculous.

More impressions to come.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I think the Maxle probably contributes more stiffness than the wider hub... I have a 150 on mine but it doesn't feel substantially different from my RIP.

I like the Kodiaks, too. They have been taking an internet beating but I find them to be pretty good in most conditions. I am giving the Dissents a try for a little while to compare.
    Last edited by JMH; 07-23-2010 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I like the Kodiaks, too. They have been taking a beating but I find them to be pretty good in most conditions. I am giving the Dissents a try for a little while to compare.
    I had the Kodiaks on the previous build also, and I've been pretty stoked on the too. I was kind of skeptical after all of the bad press that they seemed to get when they came out, but for the conditions here they do a great job. I have also beat the hell out of them without having any problems. I think they're a pretty perfect tire for this bike since they're about half way between a single and dual ply (burly but still pedalable), but I'll still be happy when a serious DH tire makes it into out hands.

beater
    As mentioned in your x-post- sweet build. Nice stable you have there.

I have run both Kodiaks and Dissents (on Gordos). Since I started riding the MTX-33s, I've only used the Dissents. Unfortunately, as I put on the Kodiaks last fall, and the Dissents in May, I haven't really had them in identical conditions to compare apples to apples. The Dissents hook up crazy nice on loose climbs, but now that the hardpack trails are drying out, they'll bust loose in the back on me. I probably need to lean them over more and get those side knobs going.

I didn't think the Kodiaks were anywhere as bad as made out to be, but oddly enough, the only trail where I really didn't like them was Slickrock. I had the front wash out on me on 2 separate G-outs. Climbing traction was awesome, but you'd have to have crappy tire to not climb well there. In the end, I switched to the Dissents b/c I found a good deal, and wanted to try them, but I'm holding on to the Kodiaks as spares. But I would like to see that Minion DHF in 29er...

Agreed on burly but pedalable tires. Besides, I ride with guys who are pushing 1,200 gram 26" tires. I stocked up on Stouts when Performance was blowing them out, but I can't see putting them back on the WFO unless I ever decide to build a lighter wheelset for more XC riding. But that's why I have a hardtail.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    As mentioned in your x-post- sweet build. Nice stable you have there.

I have run both Kodiaks and Dissents (on Gordos). Since I started riding the MTX-33s, I've only used the Dissents. Unfortunately, as I put on the Kodiaks last fall, and the Dissents in May, I haven't really had them in identical conditions to compare apples to apples. The Dissents hook up crazy nice on loose climbs, but now that the hardpack trails are drying out, they'll bust loose in the back on me. I probably need to lean them over more and get those side knobs going.

I didn't think the Kodiaks were anywhere as bad as made out to be, but oddly enough, the only trail where I really didn't like them was Slickrock. I had the front wash out on me on 2 separate G-outs. Climbing traction was awesome, but you'd have to have crappy tire to not climb well there. In the end, I switched to the Dissents b/c I found a good deal, and wanted to try them, but I'm holding on to the Kodiaks as spares. But I would like to see that Minion DHF in 29er...

Agreed on burly but pedalable tires. Besides, I ride with guys who are pushing 1,200 gram 26" tires. I stocked up on Stouts when Performance was blowing them out, but I can't see putting them back on the WFO unless I ever decide to build a lighter wheelset for more XC riding. But that's why I have a hardtail.
    I was expecting the tires to flip my bike over every 30 seconds after reading a few reviews on the interwebs.

In my experience they (Kodiaks) are quite awesome on hardpack and loose over hardpack, anything that allows those big knobs to get solid purchase. Just push that handlebar towards the ground in the corners and they have been doing just fine. I also liked them in Whistler but to be honest just about ANY tire would have been good in the conditions we had.

I too have had a bummer time on slickrock terrain with tires that have really big knobs. I think they fold on the rock and it's significant. The Kodiaks don't seem to like wet rocks much, and they definitely get lost in the alpine moondust we have on a lot of our trails right now.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... just for grins I did a great deal of siping and cutting on my front tire and when I directly compare it to an uncut tire, it does feel grippier.

JMH

mtbr member
    really nice ride, but your missing onething on that superbuild, why no hammerschmidt? it would go perfecto with those awesome wheels and your flat pedals, do it you know you want to!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    really nice ride, but your missing onething on that superbuild, why no hammerschmidt? it would go perfecto with those awesome wheels and your flat pedals, do it you know you want to!
    Stay tuned.....it's really high on my "other tings to get" list. I'm probably going to rebuild the WFO with a single crown 35-36mm stanchion fork if anyone ever gets around to making one, and will move the Dorado and Atlas FRs to a chainguide'd 1x9 to a propper gravity bike. When that happens' i'll probably tee up the hammerschmidt for the WFO.

Closekids.com
    Looks very SOONER to me...
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    hammerschmidt on a wfo is like chrome on an cadillac escalade! check the classifieds i just saw one with banging price!

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=52672&cat=all
    Last edited by david8613; 07-28-2010 at 07:33 AM.

bikes, bikes, bikes!
    Apr 2009
    Bike looks fun! Glad to see the atlas bar, hope its still at 31in.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    So, where you guys getting these Dorado's at anyways. I have yet to find an online dealer selling a 29er version. They all have the 26ers. What are you guys finding for pricing these days?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You can go to your LBS and order one up right now.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    That would be too easy.
    I'm guessing they'd be aquiring it direct vrs a distributor. I'll have to ask around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    So, where you guys getting these Dorado's at anyways. I have yet to find an online dealer selling a 29er version. They all have the 26ers. What are you guys finding for pricing these days?
    I got mine through Tryon Bike. These guys are local to me, but run pretty much the best storefront/online store I've dealt with and are really good at hunting down odd parts quickly. Shoot them an email - sales@tryonbike.com , and they'll shoot you a price quote/time estimate really fast.