mtbr member
    Jul 2009

WFO sizinng Question

I'm 5' 7" and I ride a 2nd gen rip wth a 35 stem & Marz 140 right now. I need more travel for dh and some is sellin me a used MEDIUM WFO frame. I'm planning to put a dorado fork n it. The dh course has few tight switchbbacks..very rough and just high speed. WILL I BE ABLE TO RIDE AND THE MEDIUM WFO?? Let me know if I should go for it! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    The following "RECOMMENDATIONS" are from Niner's website.

Seeing as they are recommendations, comfort, riding style, and discipline probably play a large role in your final decision.

I am considering driving 5 hours wednesday to go to a Niner demo for exactly the reason you are posting. Best to be sure given the nature of the investment and level of enjoyment involved.

STAND-OVER HEIGHT
    28.4/721 29.8/758 31.2/7942 32.8/832
    HEIGHT RECOMMENDATION
    5'3"-5'9"/ 1.6-1.75m 5'8"-6'/ 1.73-1.83m 5'11"-6'3"/ 1.8-1.91m 6'3"-6'7"/ 1.91-2.01m
    SMALL MEDIUM LARGE X-LARGE

Underskilled
    I would also add that I find Niners ride very large, especially the WFO.

I am 6'7 and have an XL WFO, but seat full forwards on the rails and 4cm stem or it just feels too big.

The Dorado is an awesome call, I have an '05 and it is amazing what it does to the WFO.

I am getting faster by the day...lucky as I just realised I am late for work..bye!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by jaidylim
    I'm 5' 7" and I ride a 2nd gen rip wth a 35 stem & Marz 140 right now. I need more travel for dh and some is sellin me a used MEDIUM WFO frame. I'm planning to put a dorado fork n it. The dh course has few tight switchbbacks..very rough and just high speed. WILL I BE ABLE TO RIDE AND THE MEDIUM WFO?? Let me know if I should go for it! Thanks!!
    I am thinking you would greatly prefer a Small frame.

JMH

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I am thinking you would greatly prefer a Small frame.

JMH
    +1.

The WFO frame is sized huge, you're height is in the Niner small recommendation range, and you want to be able to move around on a bike if you're buying it for DH.

fux
    Scooterist
    Iv`e been riding a medium WFO and own a Rip9 both medium and I`m 5"7.

I owned a Sir9 in small but the clincher for me on medium is the fact that the standover is realy good on the niner FS bikes compared to their hardtails pluss the fact that I used a 50mm stem on the WFO and a lower seat = shorter effective TT.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

Flaccid Member
    I run an XL in an AIR 9, yet run a Large in a v1.1 RIP, and test rode an XL WFO, and it felt long to me... so when and if I go with the plushness of a WFO in the future, I am seriously thinking of just going with a Large. I'm 6'5 and 225#'s. Keep in mind YMMV.