mtbr member
    Jan 2004

WFO / RIP pivot torque ?

I need to torque the pivots / axles and did a search and came up with : 75 inch lbs & 65 inch lbs. I then called Niner and they said 6 nm which equals 53 inch lbs. So whats the torque ? Thanks.

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorangemen
    I already did the conversion on Niner's spec. of 6nm = 53inch lbs. I have three different spec's : 53, 65, and 75 inch lbs. I need the correct torque ? I know Niner quoted 6nm but I swear I read a couple other posts where it was higher.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Coming from my automotive experience, its always easier to start at the low end of the torque spec and move upwards. With that in mind, I'd torque it to 53 in-lbs first, check for any play in the pivots, maybe ride the bike around in the street, up and down curbs, to see if you have any creak. That way, you're close to home and can easily bump up the torque without damaging any bearings.I would also take Niner at their word on the specs.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I then called Niner and they said 6 nm

This , straight from the horses mouth so to say . My two cents .

Flaccid Member
    I took my WFO in for creaking sound, and straight from the horses mouth, Frank Orello, 65 inch pounds. Heard him say it after I asked what it was, and saw it on the torque wrench. It got rid of 80-90% the creaking sound on my rear end. Yesterday, I took it up to 75 inch pounds, after a ride where it still was creaking a bit, we'll see if all the creaking sounds are gone. Didn't feel excessive on the bolts taking it to that level.

All of this was on the bottom pivots, by the bottom bracket and cranks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I took my WFO in for creaking sound, and straight from the horses mouth, Frank Orello, 65 inch pounds. Heard him say it after I asked what it was, and saw it on the torque wrench. It got rid of 80-90% the creaking sound on my rear end. Yesterday, I took it up to 75 inch pounds, after a ride where it still was creaking a bit, we'll see if all the creaking sounds are gone. Didn't feel excessive on the bolts taking it to that level.

(QUOTE)This , straight from the horses mouth so to say . My two cents .

I am pretty sure Frank quoted me 6nm. I asked him "what's that in inch lbs.? " He said he only knew the nm amount - I thought that was a bit odd. I had never heard anyone use nm on bicycle torques .I plan on calling Niner tommorow for verification.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy

If you are re-torqueing bolts the loctite needs to be re-applied. I'd suggest pulling all the axles and applying a liberal amount of grease or anti-seize compound. I dealt w/ Santa Cruz VPP I pivots and lube on the axles was the only creak cure.