mtbr member

WFO- which headset?

My 2010 WFO needs a new headset, actually lower cartridge only. What's it called and where do I get it?
    Funkyzeit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mine just went out as well ~190 miles and ~30 hours of saddle time. The North Wet has not been kind to this headset. Did you have any rust on yours?

Cane Creek has a good headset finder. It will spit out the important numbers. I searched around on the forum and it looks like FSA and Cane Creek are the only options out there. The uppers and lower are sold separately.

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow View Post
    Mine just went out as well ~190 miles and ~30 hours of saddle time. The North Wet has not been kind to this headset. Did you have any rust on yours?

Cane Creek has a good headset finder. It will spit out the important numbers. I searched around on the forum and it looks like FSA and Cane Creek are the only options out there. The uppers and lower are sold separately.
    I was in the same boat. Wet spring killed the stock FSA headset in 2 months. Cane Creek 110 has stainless steel bearings and a much better seal between the bearing and crown race. I think it was ~$50 from Universal Cycles.

It sucks that there are so few choices available, and it's a Campagnolo standard that is pretty much abandoned in the MTB world. I may stock up on a few if they go on sale anywhere.

I guess that's why they changed designs, frames went on closeout, and I have a WFO now...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorangemen View Post
    I was in the same boat. Wet spring killed the stock FSA headset in 2 months. Cane Creek 110 has stainless steel bearings and a much better seal between the bearing and crown race. I think it was ~$50 from Universal Cycles.

It sucks that there are so few choices available, and it's a Campagnolo standard that is pretty much abandoned in the MTB world. I may stock up on a few if they go on sale anywhere.

I guess that's why they changed designs, frames went on closeout, and I have a WFO now...
    Glad to hear the Cane Creek has better seals. I've got one on order.

I've got the closeout WFO as well. With the $$ saved, I can spring for a few headsets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    wait.. what..? the old WFO had a different headset vs. the new ones? what's the difference?
    just got a bare frame vanna white WFO (no headset, no rear shock). already placed an order for some Hope headset based on the specs listed on Niner's website.. did i just ordered a wrong one..?

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    The older Milk Dud/Vanna White frames need an IS42 top and IS52 bottom. The newer Black/Fridge Green frames need ZS44 top and ZS56 bottom.

Basically the old frames have a support for the bearing race welded into the head tube (IS - integrated), and the new frames get a cup that is pressed in which supports the bearing (ZS - zero stack).

I also think I was wrong about the Cane Creek 110 bottom being stainless, well the bearings may be, but the outer race is not. I've had to repack mine once since last year and what came out was pretty brown.

lamer
    Headset specs for all Niner models are listed in their "encyclopedia" on page 32

http://www.ninerbikes.com/downloadfl...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

I was lucky enough to stumble across it before ordering the wrong headset for my older RIP9. If you have an older WFO you have the IS (integrated) style

Chris King had a nice rant about headsets here http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/Int2...sExplained.pdf

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    thanks! now i need to make some calls..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I went with Cane Creek.