Underskilled

WFO is filling with water

Hi,

Noticed a bit of a strange problem.

My WFO is filling with water when it rains.

We are not talking a small amount of water either. I emptied my frame a few days ago, just to check i upturned my frame today, I emptied out a metre wide circle of water on the floor.

How the hell is so much water getting in, what can I do to prevent?

Thanks,

P

p.s. the chain throwing is still the main issue, but this is weird
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

~Disc~Golf~
    don't leave the bike outside?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    do you think you could spray some wd40 inside the frame to take care of some of the water inside the frame or would that be bad? dont know?

Underskilled
    I would love to leave it inside but work facilities are not quite what I would want =-(

I would need to spray a lot of WD40 in there to displace all the water.

I am hoping for suggestions as to where it is getting in?!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have no idea where the water is coming in but you could get a motorcycle cover to put over it to avoid any more. They make one with a cable lock at the bottom to prevent theft of parts or the whole thing.

mtbr member
    I would assume the water is getting in through the seat post/seat tube. Most bikes have a drain hole in the bottom of the frame and/or bottom bracket specifically to get rid of water. This could be plugged with junk, or if it's been repainted maybe it was painted over. Either way, prevent water from getting in there in the first place by sealing it up with lube, grease, or petroleum jelly. After you find the entry point for the water, then look for that drain hole.

~Disc~Golf~
    Move to Cali

Old-newbie
    CG, it is that rain cloud that follows you around everywhere.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

Underskilled
    I live in the UK, there is a permanent rain cloud

~Disc~Golf~
    listen to HD!
    CALI is nice

~Disc~Golf~
    Stfu Dood!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Water will find it's way in however, you just need to make sure your seatpost is lubed properly (so it doesn't seize) and make sure it doesn't accumulate that much. Old Trek carbon bikes were notorious for this. Those things would collect a couple gallons before some folks realized whats going on. I would make sure that there is a drain hole at the very bottom in the middle of the bottom bracket shell to allow water to get out. One thing that could be an issue on the WFO is that the BB isn't the lowest spot in the frame, the bottome of the downtube is. Either way just make sure you can allow that water to drain, even if you just turn it upside down after each rde.

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    listen to HD!
    CALI is nice
    My wife does miss Cali, however her 37 days of holiday a year (not including public holidays) acts as a good consolation.
    Last edited by CaveGiant; 06-10-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Bicycle rider
    To my knowledge (I have a JET, AIR and SIR) Niner doesn't put "drain holes" in the BB their bikes. Are you suggesting he drills a hole himself?
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    To my knowledge (I have a JET, AIR and SIR) Niner doesn't put "drain holes" in the BB their bikes. Are you suggesting he drills a hole himself?
    It's quick and easy to do it on any bike that doesn't already have one.

(MkIII) Bottom Bracket / Drilling Install

Underskilled

I will do the drilling tonight

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    My wife does miss Cali, however her 37 days of holiday a year (not including public holidays) acts as a good consolation.
    Do you guys even work? (Total jealousy ) I see my sister in law (lives in France) and her family more than if they actually lived here.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quite taking a leak in your seat tube

MTB B'dos
    Just curious CG, how'd you knwo it had in water, did you hear it sloshing around or just thought maybe and tipped it over? Can't say I've noticed water getting tino my RIP9 in the time I've had it, although I don't do a lot of wet riding now, but when I first had it I did and it got washed after such rides, but then again it DOES have a drain hole in the lowest section containing the rocker bearings, but then again this is prob how the water got it to fug up those bearings when that happened - bushings down there might have been a better idea.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Underskilled
    I only noticed when I turned the bike upside down to swap the wheels over.

I am also confused how it fills so fast, without a seatpost in left in the rain it could not get so much water in.
    I am guessing the entire seat acts like an upbrella but pours the water in to fill it that quick.

NMBP
    Could someone have just played a joke on you?

Underskilled
    I must admit that was a thought due to the colour of the water, but scent free and the seatpost was in the correct position (and needs an allen key).

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    I noticed the same thing with my sir this winter with all the wet riding and it is coming
    in from the water getting thrown off the rear tire onto the seat tube.

With my steel frame I didn't think this was a good thing to be happening so I came up
    with a cheap fix. I took a old road tube and cut a 4 inch piece out of it, then I took
    about 3 inches of that and split it in half and cut one side of it off, this left a 1 inch
    rubber ring and a 3 inch long mud flap that slides onto my seatpost and the flap
    covers the seat collar and hangs down between the seat stays. I rode for over
    two hours in the rain this weekend and not a drop in my frame at all. If my description
    doesn't make any sense I can get a pic of it.

Underskilled
    That is a good idea.

I loaded the lip of the seatpost with good grease last week, just need to wait until it rains (in UK so give it 10 minutes) to se if any good.

If this fails your Idea is a good one, probably just wrap a bit of gorrilla tape around instead though.