mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Wfo 9 Monarch rc3+ shock tune

Anyone know what the shock tune settings are on the Monarch RC3+ for the Wfo 9

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just the Rebound. I ended up changing the Monarch to a Cane Creek Double Barrel.

The best upgrade you can make to the WFO, endless settings!!!

mtbr member
    Are you asking what the factory tune is for rebound and compression?

I'm suppose to get my WFO frame on Tuesday. So I can let you know what the canister says then if it is printed on it. Otherwise you would have to call niner.

For adjustments, it has. Rebound, plus 3-Position Compression (Open, Pedal, Lock), but there is a factory internal valving for rebound and compression specified by niner.

I'm excited to get mine built up. Been waiting for this bike for a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No I'm wanting to know what the factory tune settings are, that would be for Rebound, Compression, ifp and if any volume adjusting bands are used etc

mtbr member
    The canister has what appears to be some tune stuff printed on it. ML, High Volume Canister.

Not sure if that helps, I'm assuming Medium Compression and Low speed rebound.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    No I'm wanting to know what the factory tune settings are, that would be for Rebound, Compression, ifp and if any volume adjusting bands are used etc

There are no factory tune settings other than 25% sag and the rebound set up the way you like it. Thats all the shock will do for you. If you get a a CCDB air there is a "Base Tune" you can start with but it really depends on the riding style you have and then tweak the settings from there. The only reason for the base tune on that shock is there is so many adjustments, one can get it way out of tune and it can ride really bad.

You should give us some info on what type of riding you do, what type of terrain you are riding and how you like the shock to feel. Then maybe we can help you more on setting it up but there is no factory setting because everyone likes their suspension setup a little different for how they ride or the terrain they ride.

I had 4 seasons on a WFO with a DHX air, Elka stage 5 with Ti spring and a CCDB air and the CCDB was amazing compared to the other 2 shocks. If you are more DH oriented I would go that route imo.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    The db air cs extra volume fits the wfo and it transforms the rear end. Trying to tune the monarch to where you will be pleased with its performance would unfortunately be a huge waste of time.
    The db fantastic. With the cs on, I can stand up while climbing with little bob compared to it being wide open. It climbs better than my rip did, especially on the rocky, rooty, steep pitches. And when going down the rocky, rooty, steep pitches, the bike feels just as controlled and can handle huge drops, long rock gardens, and I've never felt more confident on off camber exposed roots.

You won't be disappointed!
    Here's a pack of matches, go play in the street

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Good to hear, im 95kgs and the rear shock on the new wfo is a real let down in my opinion. Feels sluggish, blows through travel, harsh at times. No matter what I try with air pressure it still feels average and for me is a pig to climb.
    The aussie supplier for answer products was selling off some old manitou shocks, I picked up a evolver isx-6 for 50bucks. I am hoping that the tunability of this shock with some good mid stroke support will make the rear end feel like I want it to. If not ill splash out on something else.
    At the moment I am disapointed with the bikes overall performance, decends well, climbs poorly, just feels flexy and sluggish. Hopefully changing the shock and swapping out the flexy arch ex rims (aussie build) for some carbon will transform this bike.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just to be clear, is everyone talking about the latest 2014 WFO, or do some have the 2012... design.

None of this sounds like what I'm experiencing on the 2014 so far. Maybe things will be different after my shock breaks in more (I hope not). My WFO not only descends well it also climbs like an XC bike (in the fully open position). Flexy and sluggish is not at all how I would describe the bike. Very much the opposite of that.

Maybe I'm just on a new bike high... or my shock is not broken in yet. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yep talking about the new one. On medium climbs its good but anything steep and like an xc bike it is not. I'm hoping most of the flex I'm feeling is from the wheels. I find even when seated and putting power down, the suspension squats a lot under power and I smash pedals. Even with sag set at 25% I have used about 3/4 of the travel just from climbing. Ramps up ok right at the end but blows through the mid stroke for me very easily

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    thrower78, I knew you were talking about the 2014, but was not sure about the others.

What happens when you put the compression lever in the pedal position? I have just kept mine in the open position so far.

I'm just having such a different experience so far. I'm running about 160 psi in the shock at 25% sag. I have lost quite a bit of weight and run in the low 170lb range without gear these days. I noticed you mentioned 220lbs with gear in the other thread. That may have something to do with it. You may just need more compression dampening.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think that has a lot to do with it. With the compression lever in mid position it gets better just not enough. Being a heavy guy I think I just need some more compression. Dont get me wrong I love the bike, I just need to iron out some issues specific for me I think.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I altered the volume inside it monarch air can using a couple of wraps of electrical tape, in place of where you would put the rockshox volume spacers. It worked very well shock has so much more mid stroke support for me and pedals very well.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    hey guys!!
    need advices and tips..
    riding a wfo9 (2014).. change the rear to the DBair CS..
    heard good reviews about it so i decided to jump on it.. the current mornach plus is good but it felt sluggish and blows through travel easily..

Bought the DBair CS off the shelf.. hence there isnt any tuning being done as yet..
    went to the CaneCreek website and there isnt any base tune to start of with.. Neither did Niner reply back if they have any recommandation..

Any of you guys out there wiling to share some base tunes?