Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 201 to 249 of 249
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    226
    Idaho chunk on a 4,800 foot vertical descent in 7.5 miles. No shuttle, it was earned. 2012 WFO, Dorado, Cane Creek DB air, Industry 9 Wheels, Hammerschmidt crank. Third season and lovin it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-img_1310.jpg  


  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434

    were are all WFO 9s?

    Badass ride, man. I'd love to see more of the bike. What's the HA with the Dorado?

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    226
    Heres a photo of it when it still had the Monarch Plus shock on which has been switched out to a Cane Creek DB air, courtesy of Dirtlabs Suspension. Niner says the head angle is 69 degrees with a 140 fork or 68 degrees with a 160 fork. The Dorado is supposedly 170 mm so I'm guessing the head angle with it is 67.5 degrees. When I got the bike three years ago, I got it with a Dorado since it was the longest 29er fork available at the time. With the big wheels and Dorado it feels pretty comfortable going down hill. Im not into racing but just like riding trails and wanted to be comfortable in the rough steep stuff we normally have around here. I liked that frame so much I got another one and outfitted it with a Pike 160 fork and 2X10 crank. It is a few pounds lighter and also works very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-p1010002-2-.jpg  


  4. #204
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397

    New Toy

    Don't you just love new toys.

    Size Lge & will get 160mm pike.

    Will have to work out what build it will get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-wfo-003.jpg  

    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434

    were are all WFO 9s?

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Don't you just love new toys.

    Size Lge & will get 160mm pike.

    Will have to work out what build it will get.
    Nice. I9 Enduro, X01, Reverb, Thomson stem, Enve DH bar, and done!

  6. #206
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Nice. I9 Enduro, X01, Reverb, Thomson stem, Enve DH bar, and done!
    Close,

    It will end up with I9 Derb's at some point, But for now I will just run the wheels that I have, I9 Trail carbons, I9 Flows, Hope Flow EX etc

    The tires I have for it is 2.3 Minion DHR 2 for the rear & I have both the 2.3 & 2.5 Minion DHF.

    I have a new Reverb Stealth that I have owned for a while, So that will go on.

    I don't have bars yet, But do have a Hope Stem, XT brakes & X01 group sitting around so I'm sure those will go on short term so I can take it for a blast.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434

    were are all WFO 9s?

    Dang - I WAS close! I've never ridden carbon hoops - prohibitively expensive. I suggested the Enduros for their moderate width, but if you're into the super wide thing, I'm sure the Derbys are everything they're cracked up to be.

    I wouldn't buy them for a brand new bike, but I've been loving my X0 Trails lately. New bike, XT for sure.

    I'm absolutely in love with my Chunky Monkeys for my Lunchbox. They're great in the park, and match the bike's character everywhere, which is quite similar to the WFO. A buddy of mine with the '14 WFO loves 'em, front and rear.

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Close,

    It will end up with I9 Derb's at some point, But for now I will just run the wheels that I have, I9 Trail carbons, I9 Flows, Hope Flow EX etc

    The tires I have for it is 2.3 Minion DHR 2 for the rear & I have both the 2.3 & 2.5 Minion DHF.

    I have a new Reverb Stealth that I have owned for a while, So that will go on.

    I don't have bars yet, But do have a Hope Stem, XT brakes & X01 group sitting around so I'm sure those will go on short term so I can take it for a blast.
    Muzz,

    I am curious to hear what you think about this bike. Specifically, I wonder how a 17.4" CS rides compared to the 17.9. I'm also interested in pedal efficiency for a long travel bike with CVA. If you have a few minutes after riding for a bit, please consider a ride report.

    Thanks....

  9. #209
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Will do, Those are what I have been keen to know as well.

    It is good that I have a Rip9 RDO with Pike & a 2014 Rip9 Alloy ( with X Fusion Trace ) all built up with 1x11 that I can do back to back with same wheel set up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander944 View Post
    Muzz,

    I am curious to hear what you think about this bike. Specifically, I wonder how a 17.4" CS rides compared to the 17.9. I'm also interested in pedal efficiency for a long travel bike with CVA. If you have a few minutes after riding for a bit, please consider a ride report.

    Thanks....
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166

    Built this Niner for my brother

    Green and Gold

    were are all WFO 9s?-bike-wfo-1.jpg

    were are all WFO 9s?-bike-wfo-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434

    were are all WFO 9s?

    That thing is aching for a Fox 36.

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    That thing is aching for a Fox 36.
    I actually bought two frames; one for my bro and one for me. My brother doesn't ride much (hoping to change that once I give him this bike), so I built his with budget in mind. I got a good deal on the 150mm Float 34, so went with that option. Drive train, wheels, etc were all miscellaneous parts I had sitting in the garage.

    Mine on the other hand is getting the 160mm Pike w/ 51m off set, angle set, custom wheels, race face 1x cranks, bars, pedals, stem, etc.

    At 6' 5", I feel to big on all the DH bikes I tried. Going to see if this will suffice.

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434

    were are all WFO 9s?

    Nice all around, man! The F34 is no slouch and obviously the Pike is awesome. I was referring to the retro orange decals the 2015 Fox forks have.

    My clyde buddy loved his old WFO before he broke it, warrantied with a new model. He likes the one you have for pedaling and the new one for descending.

    Enjoy!

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Nice all around, man! The F34 is no slouch and obviously the Pike is awesome. I was referring to the retro orange decals the 2015 Fox forks have.

    My clyde buddy loved his old WFO before he broke it, warrantied with a new model. He likes the one you have for pedaling and the new one for descending.

    Enjoy!

    Funny you mention the retro fox decals. The same day I finished the build on my bro's bike, I also put on my new Talas 36 on my intense. BTW, this new fork is amazing.

    were are all WFO 9s?-bike-intense-2.jpg

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    Kragu, do you think with an 1.5 degree angle set on the 2012 WFO9, the bike will be substantially different than the 2014 in terms of descending?

    I picked up my WFO9 primarily for descending. I contemplated getting the 2014 model because it has a 66 degree HTA with a 170mm fork (not sure where to get that). I opted for the 2012 model because I picked them up for $815 each out the door. Seemed like to good of a deal to pass up. I've entertained the idea of biting the bullet and just getting a 2014, but I like to save money every once in a while.

  16. #216
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    The 2014 WFO is a much different beast than the old WFO.

    Lighter , more travel , Shorter chain stays, Stiffer, shorter , Slacker Etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Boy View Post
    Kragu, do you think with an 1.5 degree angle set on the 2012 WFO9, the bike will be substantially different than the 2014 in terms of descending?

    I picked up my WFO9 primarily for descending. I contemplated getting the 2014 model because it has a 66 degree HTA with a 170mm fork (not sure where to get that). I opted for the 2012 model because I picked them up for $815 each out the door. Seemed like to good of a deal to pass up. I've entertained the idea of biting the bullet and just getting a 2014, but I like to save money every once in a while.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The 2014 WFO is a much different beast than the old WFO.

    Lighter , more travel , Shorter chain stays, Stiffer, shorter , Slacker Etc.
    Hmmm. I may need to conduct a cost/benefit analysis between the 2012 and 2014 frame. I save at least $1300 going with the 2012, but I am intrigued by the 2014 HTA, height and travel. Is the difference going to be substantial enough to warrant the extra $.

    I do believe that the bitter taste of an inferior product will long outlast the sweet taste of some savings; but I also wouldn't consider the 2012 to be inferior.

    I suppose a tipping point for the acquisition of a 2014 frame is whether a 170mm 29er fork is available on the market. I'm not aware of any.

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434

    were are all WFO 9s?

    The two WFOs really only share a name. Every change they made adds up to a completely different bike, and they're difficult to compare because of it. My Lenz and the WFO I demoed felt really similar - plush, nimble, capable down most anything I could throw at it. I went with the Lenz sight unseen as word was that it pedaled well, and it does - better than the WFO. The old WFO felt right to me at the time, but the lower BB, slacker HT, and shorter rear end of the new WFO makes a big difference...it's cliche, but you feel way more "in" the bike.

    What's that pink bike on the rack with your intense? Looking to get my wife a bike, and I'd like to get her something that she thinks is cute.

    The most likely candidate for a 170mm 29er fork would have been the Fox36. I was a little disappointed when it wasn't included in the lineup.

  19. #219
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,724

    were are all WFO 9s?

    HTA is only one component of a bike's geometry. Everything was changed for the new WFO, and much for the better, IMO.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    The two WFOs really only share a name. Every change they made adds up to a completely different bike, and they're difficult to compare because of it. My Lenz and the WFO I demoed felt really similar - plush, nimble, capable down most anything I could throw at it. I went with the Lenz sight unseen as word was that it pedaled well, and it does - better than the WFO. The old WFO felt right to me at the time, but the lower BB, slacker HT, and shorter rear end of the new WFO makes a big difference...it's cliche, but you feel way more "in" the bike.

    What's that pink bike on the rack with your intense? Looking to get my wife a bike, and I'd like to get her something that she thinks is cute.

    The most likely candidate for a 170mm 29er fork would have been the Fox36. I was a little disappointed when it wasn't included in the lineup.
    thanks for the input. Even though it's a large frame, I'll try my bros bike to feel it out (mine is an XL). Got some decisions to make.

    the Pink Bike is my wife's Intense Tracer 275. I dont have any good pics of it on this computer, but we got it in a custom Fluorescent Pink color. sweet bike. Its seen some upgrades since that pic.

    were are all WFO 9s?-photo-5.jpgwere are all WFO 9s?-photo-7.jpg

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    226
    Black bike in a black forest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-img_1477.jpg  


  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98
    Hey muzzanic, how was the ride this past weekend?

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    54
    should have mine in 2 days!! cant wait! first FS, first Niner.

  24. #224
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander944 View Post
    Hey muzzanic, how was the ride this past weekend?
    I have been out of town with a friend & his son, The sun Stuffed up a big jump & Broke his neck & has no feeling or movement from the neck down.

    So I went with them when they sent him to the Spine Unit, So have not got much ridding in.

    I have however done close on 2 Hours Ridding on the WFO & will get a good chance this weekend so will report back Monday.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    ^^^^ That's horrible. Hopefully everything works out for dude.


    In other news, I think I'm returning my frame and getting the 2014 WFO9.

  26. #226
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Boy View Post
    ^^^^ That's horrible. Hopefully everything works out for dude.


    In other news, I think I'm returning my frame and getting the 2014 WFO9.
    I think in the long run you will be much happier.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have been out of town with a friend & his son, The sun Stuffed up a big jump & Broke his neck & has no feeling or movement from the neck down.

    So I went with them when they sent him to the Spine Unit, So have not got much ridding in.

    I have however done close on 2 Hours Ridding on the WFO & will get a good chance this weekend so will report back Monday.
    So very sorry this has happened. My thought's and prayers go out to this young man and his family.

  28. #228
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    I got a good ride in on the WFO last weekend ( With another guy on a 14 WFO as it happens ) So fun ride.

    Will head out this weekend again, So will sit down & do the ride report Sunday night. ( Very happy so far )

    were are all WFO 9s?-wfo-001.jpg.


    Well were to start ?

    Well I guess the 1st thing is how surprised just how well this bike pedals, Weight for weight this 2014 WFO pedals as well as my 2014 Rip9 Alloy & that is very good.

    I have always thought of the WFO as not being the bike you would buy if you were to only own 1 bike, I have had to rethink that.

    As long as you have some trails that are hard & ruff enough to need the WFO, I'm sure that you will be happy enough with how the WFO even on the much easier trails.

    Doing back to back on the WFO & Rip9 RDO was interesting.

    I really liked the WFO, How ever my wife said that when I came back I wasn't buzzing like she thought I would be.

    Now this wasn't because I didn't like the WFO, More because I have some very good bikes & this was just another very good 1,

    My friend that owns a Rip9 RDO & isn't as good a rider as me & needed more of what the WFO had to offer was Buzzing, In fact when I rode his Rip9 RDO & he rode the WFO, When I said do you want to swap back he told me to bugger off.

    I found the Rip9 RDO better at being able to make a fast change of line at the last min ( on the WFO the need to change line last min wasn't as great )

    The WFO is better in the air & off jumps & lands much smoother & more controlled when landing on to ruffer ground than the 2014 Rip9's & in the ruff the 160mm Pike fork is much nicer on the hands than the 140mm Pike on the Rip9.

    I was still faster on the down hill runs on the Rip9 RDO than what my friend was on the WFO, But he was faster on the WFO than the Rip9 RDO ( Much bigger speed gap between the 2 for him than for me )

    For sure the Ruffer the down hill trail gets the more the WFO will open the gap & if you were doing a trail for the 1st time the lack of respect you can have for the trail on the WFO is very nice.

    So if I started all over again would I choose the WFO over the alloy Rip9 for my ridding ? In a heart beat.

    Would I choose the WFO over the Rip9 RDO ??
    I'm not sure, I'm glade I don't have to choose.

    Some people are just so good that they need all that the WFO has to offer.

    Some people are not as great & will really step up with what the WFO can do for them.

    Then there are the riders that are quite good & can get lots out of a bike & can still ride super fast even when under biked, These are the people that would need quite a ruff trail before the are quicker on the WFO than something like a Rip9 RDO.

    Other than the 20mm longer fork on the WFO, both the WFO & Rip9 RDO were spec'ed the same.

    I will add more soon.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  29. #229
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Ok time we got more pic's of the New WFO's

    On the Niner web site I liked the Red & black frame more than the Blue, I was unable to get the Red so ended up with the Blue.

    Now that I have seen both colours built up, I like the blue more. ( The Blue also glows in the dark )
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-18-2014 at 03:15 AM.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98
    Muzzanic,

    Thank you for the write up. So how does the shorter chainstay translate in the ride over the Alloy 2014 Rip? Is this the feeling of more control in the air? You wrote that the RDO is a little easier to change line than the WFO, does this hold true of the alloy also?

  31. #231
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander944 View Post
    Muzzanic,

    Thank you for the write up. So how does the shorter chainstay translate in the ride over the Alloy 2014 Rip? Is this the feeling of more control in the air? You wrote that the RDO is a little easier to change line than the WFO, does this hold true of the alloy also?
    Ah Chain stay length, My most hated subject. Here is why.

    People seem to talk as though CS length works out the same for everyone, Just because it is so easy to measure people get fixed on it.

    It is where you put your feet in relation to the rear axle, & even on our Alloy 2014 Rip9's my ankle's are approx 2 inch's closer to the rear axle than my wife's, my shoes are size 47 & hers are 39 to 40 depending on shoe.

    With the bikes standing up un sagged with her seat height at 660mm, Running a string line form the back of the seat ( all 3 bikes with same seat ) the distance between the centre of the rear axle & forward to the string line is as follows.

    Small Rip9 with seat at 660mm is 140mm
    Lge WFO with seat at My 800mm is 110mm
    Lge Rip9 RDO with seat at my 800mm is 90mm

    With seats full down on my bikes

    680mm
    Lge WFO 159mm
    Lge Rp9 RDO 138mm

    All 3 bikes have reverb & seats set at same point front to back.

    So as you can see, For short people short CS have a much greater need.

    I can see it when ridding that tall people can move around much more on a bike.

    So when seated I am further over the back wheel of my Rip9 RDO than on the WFO.

    So then the setup with reach, With stem length handle bar back sweep/ width come into play.

    The steeper HA is a big part of what makes the Rip9 change line faster.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    33
    Nice review Muzzanic.

    I own the previous model and I was thinking on making the upgrade to the 2014 frame.

    But the question I have is about the size.

    Im currently running a L frame with 40mm stem and still feels that the top tube is a little longer. The bike feels great on the DH but it will be nice to feel the cockpit a little closer.

    I decided for the L because I fall between sizes my height is 6.0 short torso and longer legs.

    Comparing the geometry chart, the new L model is the same size as the old model but size M.

    I tried a friends RIP 9 size M and it feels a little short and the WFO L is almost the same size with different geometry.

    I know the best would be to demo different sizes, but saddly Im living in Peru and theres no dealer around, so I have to make a safe choice.

    Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

  33. #233
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    What height do you have your seat at ?

    I'm 6' & ridding a Lge & I'm sure it is the right size for me.

    The Top tube is a bit shorter than the old model, But with wide bars it does feel right.



    Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoGT View Post
    Nice review Muzzanic.

    I own the previous model and I was thinking on making the upgrade to the 2014 frame.

    But the question I have is about the size.

    Im currently running a L frame with 40mm stem and still feels that the top tube is a little longer. The bike feels great on the DH but it will be nice to feel the cockpit a little closer.

    I decided for the L because I fall between sizes my height is 6.0 short torso and longer legs.

    Comparing the geometry chart, the new L model is the same size as the old model but size M.

    I tried a friends RIP 9 size M and it feels a little short and the WFO L is almost the same size with different geometry.

    I know the best would be to demo different sizes, but saddly Im living in Peru and theres no dealer around, so I have to make a safe choice.

    Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  34. #234
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397

    A Play on the WFO

    Sorry the video doesn't show the ground that well.



    The file seems to be to big & not running well on here, Might be better to watch it on You Tube.

    I have posted a link in next post,
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  35. #235
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,434
    Nice, Muzz. Is it just me or does your bike have a glossy finish? Frame tape?

  37. #237
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Nice, Muzz. Is it just me or does your bike have a glossy finish? Frame tape?
    Yes the frame is 100% covered in 3M stone guard & it gives it a gloss finish look.

    I haven't really used the Go Pro for a couple of years so will have play to with settings to see if I can get it to better show the ground so you can see the track better.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98
    Nice video. I think your camera angle was very good, no complaints at all. I typically find myself trying to pan around while watching videos, I had less of that watching yours. I saw something which I thought was very cool that adds a bit to the video, it's a GPS overlay. You sync the video to a GPS file then during playback you see your speed, cad, HR, altitude, etc. It really helps you get a feel for how steep and how much speed.

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brightsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    183
    I just got back from doing a MTB trip to CO and NM with my WFO. We rode Keystone, Trestle, and Angel fire NM. The WFO did fantastic on all of it. I did not have a single issue with the bike (besides replacing brake pads ;-) We ventured on to a few double blacks and I was really wishing for a dual crown bike there, but the WFO was just fine on 95% of the trails. If you do take your WFO for some dedicated downhill, put a Minion DHF on it! Best tire available for that type of riding.

    Here is a video that shows a small portion the riding. As usual, I missed all the really good stuff due to technical difficulties.


    I'm still really enjoying this bike.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65

    In MEMORIUM - dead WFO

    My WFO appeared a few years ago on p. 2 of this this thread when it was new, thought it might be fitting to place its obiturary here too (also on Rotorburn). It is dead now. I am sad, but in that wistful, happy, thankful way because I regret nothing and totally got my moneys' worth out of the Old Girl.

    I guess one day I'll get around to asking Niner if they have any old stock of the 150mm rear ends (not hopeful) - but just for now I choose to stare stoically out over the horizon, my mandible slightly clenched to emphasise a heroic jawline, smile wryly, and nod slowly as I remember the good times....

    In MEMORIUM...
    RIP to my 2010 Niner WFO. Cracked rear triangle.
    This was a true monster truck - a long travel 29er before the likes of the Spesh Enduro 29.
    were are all WFO 9s?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1450002365.505606.jpgwere are all WFO 9s?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1450002401.155554.jpg

    TALLY:
    Approx 3000kms according to Garmin
    2 X broken helmets
    1 X die-punch radial fracture of the wrist & reconstruction surgery
    1 X torn rotator cuff & surgery
    Multiple hematoma

    LAST KNOWN SPEC:
    Frame: 2010 Niner WFO, 140mm rear travel. 12 X 150mm rear end. Fox RP23 tuned by NSD.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002464.305492.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  146.6 KB
    Fork: Modded Fox 36s, 180mm coil.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002502.371827.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  115.2 KB
    Wheels: Hadley hubs to Stan's Flow
    Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF ST 29 X 2.5.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002545.271795.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  147.1 KB
    Custom lathed offset headcups for 68 deg Head angle.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002610.605151.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  92.5 KB
    Hammerschmidt internal 2 speed crank.
    9 speed XO shifters hacked to 10 speed shimano XT clutch derailleur.
    Xt brakes, F 203mm, R 203mm.
    785mm Answer handlebars.
    40mm Answer stem.
    WEIGHT: full attack mode =17kg (not a typo); trail mode = 14.5kg
    - at Thredbo Australia.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002655.739043.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  131.6 KB
    - at Queenstown Gondola New Zealand
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002683.072029.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  83.9 KB
    - Jono from Queenstown bike taxis said it was the first 29er he'd seen do Cardrona (but took the chicken line around the road gap!):
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002710.855581.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  123.6 KB
    - sticky forest Wanaka
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002739.038817.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  122.1 KB
    - Millenium track
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450002770.155089.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  117.2 KB
    Sleep well brave soldier...
    were are all WFO 9s?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1450002797.538431.jpg

  41. #241
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Cool post
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    160
    were are all WFO 9s?-img_0231.jpg

    Here is mine. Bike is a monster truck, fun as hell!

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65

    were are all WFO 9s?

    In memorium pt2:
    Just found some action pics of the old girl (piloted by son #2)


    ... And a sample of what happens when the WFO uses up all of the rear travel:

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HouseNotes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    226
    Looks like it had a good life 😊
    Single Track Rules!

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuzz541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by checkpoint22 View Post
    My WFO appeared a few years ago on p. 2 of this this thread when it was new, thought it might be fitting to place its obiturary here too (also on Rotorburn). It is dead now. I am sad, but in that wistful, happy, thankful way because I regret nothing and totally got my moneys' worth out of the Old Girl.

    I guess one day I'll get around to asking Niner if they have any old stock of the 150mm rear ends (not hopeful) - but just for now I choose to stare stoically out over the horizon, my mandible slightly clenched to emphasise a heroic jawline, smile wryly, and nod slowly as I remember the good times....
    Talk to Frank the Welder in Vermont. He specializes in restoring and modifying aluminum bike frames. Worst case he can build you a new rear triangle. If you don't know of him, Google him. He's a legend. He does really cool work.

    Frank The Welder | Frank Wadelton ? Bicycle Fabrication
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 12-25-2015 at 04:43 PM.

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    166
    Swapped out the monarch for a Cane Creek DB CS. Feels like a coil in the back. I like it. Only thing I don't like about it is that is shows up sideways in photos. Cane Creek needs to fix that.

    were are all WFO 9s?-img_5304.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-img_5170.jpg  


  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SylentK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    970
    Wow man, bummer for sure. But in retropect it looked like it had a very good life.

    When one WFO goes down, another one starts Mine looks like same year as yours.

    Check it out the story here: WFO9 Build and Picture Thread

    Biker? I don't even know her.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1

    NINER W.F.O. XL Adjusted for a guy 2 meters high!

    were are all WFO 9s?-1-2-.jpg
    Assembled last year and all the parts are from eBay.
    For Croatian circumstances, it was a real feat.
    Only the wheels and suspension are new, enjoy ...

    were are all WFO 9s?-3.jpg
    -Rock Shox PIKE 29" 150mm Dual Position
    -Hope PRO II EVO 32
    -Formula 203mm Alloy 2 piece
    -ZTR FLOW EX 32
    -Sapim D-ligt, brass nipple

    were are all WFO 9s?-4.jpg
    -Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3
    -Sram 2200 Carbon
    -Race Face Carbon Crank Boots
    -BB Hope red
    -Crank Brothers Mallet DH Race
    -FD Sram XO DM

    were are all WFO 9s?-7.jpg
    -RD SRAM X9 TYPE 2 (RED custom CANYON)
    -XT 11-36 10sp
    -KMC red


    were are all WFO 9s?-8.jpg
    -DT Swiss 440 FREERIDE
    -Formula ORO PURO Gold
    -Formula 180mm Alloy 2 piece

    were are all WFO 9s?-5.jpg
    -Formula ORO PURO Gold-Carbon-Kevlar-Titanium
    -shifters SRAM X9 (RED custom CANYON)
    -Formula kevlar Hyd. hose
    -Alligator white shift hose
    -Jagwire Teflon Gear Cable
    -KCNC Shift Housing End Caps
    -Steam RACE FACE Chester FR
    -Six-pack Driver 780 triple butted bar with 7075-T6, 780mm wide, 0mm rise, 4 deg upsweep, 5 deg backsweep
    -ODI Rogue brown
    -head set FSA

    were are all WFO 9s?-9.jpg
    -SWAROVSKI Crystal valve caps ops:

    were are all WFO 9s?-10.jpg
    -Front tyre 1. Continental Mountain King II 2.4 Protection, 2. Continental Trail king 2.4 protection
    -Rear tyre 1. Continental X king 29 2.4 protection 2.Continental Mountain King II 2.4 Protection

    -seat Selle SMP Plus
    -Sintace P6
    -Hope seat clamp

  49. #249
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,118

    Yes, it was that steep.

    It's been a while since an update, so here are some pics of me playing in Scotland.were are all WFO 9s?-11214266_10153517678616934_5409499484205187801_n.jpgwere are all WFO 9s?-12162266_10153723687846934_1142970809_o.jpgwere are all WFO 9s?-12164856_10153723482866934_665132886_o.jpg
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •