Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Dave Trumpore used a shot of my WFO 9 in his 2012 Year Review Slideshow on Pinkbike. Nice!

Life Lesson? If you're way too slow to be pro, wear bright colors to get in pics. Lol.

JMH

DTrumpore_CO_Freeride
    ©DaveTrumpore
    Last edited by JMH; 01-30-2013 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member

Who says WFOs are overkill for trail riding?!!

Who says WFO9s are overkill for normal trails?? I built this up over Christmas and have been enjoying it on all the semi-technical trails around my area. Longest ride so far was 25 miles with lots of short steep climbs and this thing just eats them up. 28lbs as is.
    Some of the build highlights: Fox 34 Float, RS Monarch RT3, 2x10 XO carbon cranks, Stans Arch w/Hope Evo hubs & (tubeless), XTR trail brakes, and so on. This thing replaced a Trek Rumblefish and I have no regrets. Climbs better than the Trek could ever hope to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-wfo9_folsom1.jpg  

It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    DropInWFO
    Practice Loop - Slickrock - Late 2011 ©MichaelDarter

Just figuring out the new Forum function... reposting these (can't edit the old post anymore) linked to Flickr instead of hosted on MTBR because those thumbnails are gruesome!

From the Colorado Freeride Festival Enduro. All pics by Vast Action. (vastaction.com)

CFF_JH_3
    Stage 1 - Chainless DH - Search and Seizure ©VastAction

CFF_JH_1
    Stage1 - Chainless DH - Boulevard ©VastAction

Race4
    Stage 3 - Rain Maker ©VastAction

CFF_JH_5
    Stage 4 - No Quarter ©VastAction

CFF_JH_6
    Stage 4 - Boot Camp ©VastAction

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 01-30-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    2012 large WFO. 33+ pounds.

X9 drivetrain
    2012 Fox 34 Talas (replaced Reba)
    Blacklite post w/Kind Shock remote (less obtrusive)
    Stan's Flows with Stan's hubs
    Blackspire Stinger 2X chain guide
    Formula RX brakes w/185 rotors

I plan to do a couple enduro races on it, and I'm taking it to Peru in a few months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-photo-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Forgive the ever-so-slightly off-topic post... reply to earlier request for photos of the pumptrack and bonus photo of the Pumpjet.

Track3

Overview

Surveying Progress

Pumptrack

Pumpjet

Carbon & Ti rule
    That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Forgive the ever-so-slightly off-topic post... reply to earlier request for photos of the pumptrack and bonus photo of the Pumpjet.

Track3

Overview

Surveying Progress

Pumptrack

Pumpjet

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This was a great race, if you have the chance it's well worth it. WFO was a bit much for the pedally stages but was great in the DH and jump line stages.

JMH
    Very cool pics JMH!

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "bit much on the pedally stages"?

I'm still debating on whether to buy the WFO or Yeti SB66. I already have a jet9 RDO and absolutely love it for XC racing and medium/light trail riding. However I want something that's more capable on technical downhill /rocky terrain.
    Last edited by racinghk; 02-08-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by racinghk View Post
    Very cool pics JMH!

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "bit much on the pedally stages"?

I'm still debating on whether to buy the WFO or Yeti SB66. I already have a jet9 RDO and absolutely love it for XC racing and medium/light trail riding. However I want something that's more capable on technical downhill /rocky terrain.
    The first two stages used sections of the Trestle DH trail, the WFO was confidence-inspiring and fast. The next two stages were more "park" oriented with jump trails and flatter pedaling portions. The guys on lighter bikes with less suspension were probably a bit quicker there, although the WFO was a heck of a lot of fun. The WFO is also a great Whistler bike where the Jet would be a bit terrifying (I have one of those too and I like it but it would simply be outmatched for lift-assisted riding at most parks). The WFO is going to be similar to the Yeti SB95 (another awesome bike) and in my opinion both will be faster for you than the SB66.

My WFO is a Medium where I normally ride a Large Niner for a more efficient XC fit. I think if my WFO were a large it would be more comfortable for long rides but perhaps not as fun on the jump trails? Hard to say. One of my riding buddies uses his WFO as his "do it all" bike when he doesn't ride his Tallboy. He claims the WFO pedals better than his Tallboy, but that he obviously notices the extra pounds when he's climbing.

JMH

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    EKT shredding at the Photo Spot, Thunder Thunder Thunder Mountain
    RedCanyon_24

Waterfall at Little Creek
    JordanWaterfall

Free Time in Moab
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

mtbr member
    The first two stages used sections of the Trestle DH trail, the WFO was confidence-inspiring and fast. The next two stages were more "park" oriented with jump trails and flatter pedaling portions. The guys on lighter bikes with less suspension were probably a bit quicker there, although the WFO was a heck of a lot of fun. The WFO is also a great Whistler bike where the Jet would be a bit terrifying (I have one of those too and I like it but it would simply be outmatched for lift-assisted riding at most parks). The WFO is going to be similar to the Yeti SB95 (another awesome bike) and in my opinion both will be faster for you than the SB66.

My WFO is a Medium where I normally ride a Large Niner for a more efficient XC fit. I think if my WFO were a large it would be more comfortable for long rides but perhaps not as fun on the jump trails? Hard to say. One of my riding buddies uses his WFO as his "do it all" bike when he doesn't ride his Tallboy. He claims the WFO pedals better than his Tallboy, but that he obviously notices the extra pounds when he's climbing.

JMH
    How tall are you?
    I'm 6'0", I currently ride a Giant AnthemX29er, size large.
    I'm running a 70mm stem and uncut RaceFace Atlus bars.
    I've heard that the Rip and WFO run a bit larger in size than say my AX29.
    So the med may be the correct size for me.? Keep in mind I like the short stem/wide bars feel and handeling.
    Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    How tall are you?
    So the med may be the correct size for me.? Keep in mind I like the short stem/wide bars feel and handeling.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    i'm 6'3" on a Med WFO, 50mm stem, 780mm bars.. it rides like an AM 26er on steroids..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalSpine View Post
    i'm 6'3" on a Med WFO, 50mm stem, 780mm bars.. it rides like an AM 26er on steroids..
    Thank you, this is good to know.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    How tall are you?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    6' tall, long inseam. WFO is a Medium with 50mm stem and 780mm Raceface SIXC DH bars. My "XC" fit is typically a Large frame with a 60mm or 70mm stem.
    I have a 6'4" friend on a Large WFO with a 70mm stem and 780mm bars. 6'3" on a Medium sounds extremely unusual, but personal preference trumps all.

You are right on the line between M and L. Check out the REACH and STACK of the two frames compared to your Anthem X, that's where you are going to get the best idea of how the two brands translate. Top tube lengths can get you close, but simply changing fork height or any number of tiny things can change reach significantly.

If you're keeping the Giant and building up the WFO as another bike, then I say get the Medium for sure and turn it into a shuttle/lift bike like mine. If you plan to use it for everything, then M vs L is obviously a much bigger concern.

JMH

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=JMH;10188886]6' tall, long inseam. WFO is a Medium with 50mm stem and 780mm Raceface SIXC DH bars. My "XC" fit is typically a Large frame with a 60mm or 70mm stem.
    I have a 6'4" friend on a Large WFO with a 70mm stem and 780mm bars. 6'3" on a Medium sounds extremely unusual, but personal preference trumps all.

You are right on the line between M and L. Check out the REACH and STACK of the two frames compared to your Anthem X, that's where you are going to get the best idea of how the two brands translate. Top tube lengths can get you close, but simply changing fork height or any number of tiny things can change reach significantly.

If you're keeping the Giant and building up the WFO as another bike, then I say get the Medium for sure and turn it into a shuttle/lift bike like mine. If you plan to use it for everything, then M vs L is obviously a much bigger concern.

JMH[/QUOTE
    Thank you.
    I will try to get up close and personal with a lg or a med to see for myself.
    But in Oklahoma a WFO will be hard to get close to. Do you know how similar the Rip and WFO are?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    [/QUOTE Do you know how similar the Rip and WFO are?[/QUOTE]

If you get a chance to ride a RIP 9, the fit is pretty much identical. You can compare the few Geo differences on the niner site!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    With a 140 fork, the WFO has a steeper seat angle. The cockpit will be a little shorter. This is one of the reasons I switched over to a WFO. FYI, I am 6'1", 34" inseam, and ride a large with 50-70mm stems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Underskilled
    [/QUOTE Do you know how similar the Rip and WFO are?
    If you get a chance to ride a RIP 9, the fit is pretty much identical. You can compare the few Geo differences on the niner site![/QUOTE]

I made a few mods to my WFO over winter.
    I shortened the fork to ~100mm and ran road tyres. That thing FLEW. I even took it riding with road clubs and could easily keep up. It felt like a fast XC bike. Today I MTB'd it up, dorado back at full length.
    The whole geometry of the bike changed from feeling like an XC to a full on downhill machine. Weird thing though, it still peddled like an xc bike.

This frame is brilliant, the build is what pins it to it riding style!

Even managed to impress some teenage boys with a huck. Any rider who doesn't get a little smile when that happens is lying.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    this was my first day on my WFO 9 last summer. i've since put a double barrel on it but she rides amazing.

were are all WFO 9s?-launching-wfo9w.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Version 3.0

So I got sick of riding a 40+lb WFO and decided to lighten her up. Replaced the Dorado and Elka with a CCDB air tuned for her and a 2012 fox 34
    Talas with new 2014 Fox Float 150mm internals, along with a cartridge for a clyde. Put in XX1 drivetrain and I had to machine a new axle for the
    150mm Hope hub. Hadley hasn't made an xx1 conversion yet so I had to make this build work by using my backup wheel, an old Hope pro2 150mm.
    We just made the axle thicker, from 15mm to 17mm on the cassette side like the new Hope evo hub and added a Hope xx1 freehub which was already
    out. Had to machine out the xx1 quick release to 12mm to fit the maxle and get a bigger diameter spacer for the bearing as well. I never did get to
    take a pic of it, just threw it in the wheel because I had to know if it worked. Also the axle is made form 4041 steel and weights 150g alone.

Went form 41lbs to 34lbs and thats with the heavier wheel and very heavy wtb Dissents with tubes. When the Minnion dhf's come out I'll be setting
    them up tubless and by swapping out the wheels when Hadley gets the conversion done. With that maybe get to save another pound or 2. Also put
    on some xtr trail brakes which are amazing! The rock plate from coyote is great and got to use it a lot so far.

3 rides on her so far and it is the most impressive version so far for me. The suspension is super plush and the xx1 is just as quiet and responsive as I
    could have ever expected. Super fun to ride and much easier to throw around after the weight loss.

-Nolan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-w-f-o1.jpg  

were are all WFO 9s?-w-f-o2.jpg  

were are all WFO 9s?-w-f-o3.jpg  

beater

were are all WFO 9s?

That Hadley driver is the last thing my buddy is waiting on for his Chilcotin build, and they've been telling him "another week or two" since the end of February. He probably would have just bought another wheelset by now if they'd given him a realistic estimate at any point.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    evasive: they have been telling me the same thing and I call them every week. I get this week, next week and in 2 weeks every time I call. Just tell me that your not going to have them done and give me a realistic date. Oh well. For me to build a new wheel in 150mm would be too expensive with a I9 or DT when I already have a Hope and Hadley built up, so to machine a new axle and buy the free hub was a much cheaper option and now I'll eventually have a backup.

I'd like to say that the CCDB air may be the best rear shock I've ever used. The ability to absorb high speed hits is unreal. I used cane creeks base tune from the lounge and it seems dead on!

-Nolan

Underskilled
    Niner sent me a new shock for my WFO,

One of these

Monarch Plus RC3 | SRAM

As I already have a shock I really like for this bike, is anyone interested?

It is a HUGE upgrade from the RP23, not worth it if you have a manitou ISX6.

Very similar to the ISX6, but the ISX matches better with a Dorado (same damper). This would probably match a fox/RS fork better.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

wfo

Had mine for a couple of months and im loving it so far, waiting for new rs pike to come out but shouldnt be too long now.
    were are all WFO 9s?-p1050204.jpgwere are all WFO 9s?-p1050168.jpgwere are all WFO 9s?-p1050039.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Makes for a nice pit bike around Laguna Seca ;-)

G

were are all WFO 9s?-wfolagunaseca.jpg

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast